Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Barneo 2017  (Read 30706 times)

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 891
  • Likes Given: 86
Barneo 2017
« on: March 09, 2017, 09:58:29 PM »
Slightly earlier than usual, and with thanks for a heads up from Thomas Barlow, Irina Orlova reports via my rendition of Facebook's auto-translation of the original Russian that:

In a few days helicopters will fly from Krasnoyarsk to search for sea ice on which to build Barneo ice camp 2017.

According to a personal communication from the CRREL there's still an ice mass balance buoy in Svalbard left over from 2016. I wonder if it will make it to an ice floe somewhere near the North Pole this year?

« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 10:20:23 PM by Jim Hunt »
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 646
  • Likes Given: 242
Re: Barneo 2017
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 10:01:51 PM »
Slightly earlier than usual, and with thanks for a heads up from Thomas Barlow, Irina Orlova reports via my rendition of Facebook's auto-translation of the original Russian that:

In a few days helicopters will fly from Krasnoyarsk to search for sea ice on which to build Barneo ice camp 2017.
They appear to be having trouble finding ice at least 2M thick, from what I was able to judge.
This space for Rent.

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 10:10:43 PM »
They are back huh? Soon they will need floating base...

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 07:52:30 AM »
There's now a new English language article on the Barneo Facebook page:

In a few days two helicopters will fly from Krasnoyarsk to search for the ice on which the runway of Barneo will be built. Our experts told us that there are some large fields not far from the Pole. Their thickness is about 2 meters. They will drift towards the Fram Strait and will soon be at the point we need.]In a few days two helicopters will fly from Krasnoyarsk to search for the ice on which the runway of Barneo will be built. Our experts told us that there are some large fields not far from the Pole. Their thickness is about 2 meters. They will drift towards the Fram Strait and will soon be at the point we need.

"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Thomas Barlow

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 04:24:36 PM »

Thomas Barlow

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 07:29:01 PM »
They are negotiating arrangements with Norwegian Aviation, and will be on their way soon. From researcher Irina Orlova's post today:
Click translation.
---> https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1244217502314063&id=100001774757853

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 03:42:14 PM »
Vigilius doesn't seem to have taken the hint yet, so with thanks for the heads up, albeit in the wrong place:

https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/arctic/2017/03/russias-north-pole-camp-making

The copters type Mi-8T on Sunday morning took off from Krasnoyarsk with course for the north. They will have pitstops in Igarka, Khatanga and on the island of Sredny, Severnaya Zemlya, before they make it all the way to the North Pole, aviation company Aerogeo informs.

The eleven people on board are not only pilots and aircraft technicians, but also experienced polar experts. They will first identify an ice floe suitable for the Barneo-2017, and then help facilitate the delivery on site of people and goods.

Plus some "Shock News!"

It has been speculated about a possible visit to site of President Vladimir Putin. According to SeverPost, the President might go to Barneo ahead of his attendance at the Arctic Forum in Arkhangelsk late this week.

Perhaps the Norwegian powers that be will have second thoughts again this year?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 10:56:20 PM by Jim Hunt »

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 10:50:43 PM »
Although there's nothing on the NPEO web site itself yet, apparently:

No web cams were deployed in 2016, due to funding constraints, however deployments are planned for Spring 2017.

https://www.pmel.noaa.gov/arctic-zone/gallery_np.html

Meanwhile according to yesterday's report on the Barneo Facebook page:

On March 15, a truck with landing equipment set off from Moscow to Murmansk and yesterday it arrived at the destination.

On March 17, another truck and a trailer with loaded platforms and tractors started out from Moscow to Tver (Migalovo airport). The landing party also arrived there. On March 18, the paratroopers with platforms and tractors flew to Murmansk by Il-76. They will be preparing the platforms for airdrop at the Zhalyuzi point.

On March 19, two helicopters of the AeroGeo a/c flew up in Krasnoyarsk and followed the route Krasnoyarsk – Podkamennaya Tunguska – Igarka - Khatanga.

Irina Orlova isn't too keen on the current weather situation:

Today's weather did not allow helicopters to fly from Khatanga.

It seems that the helicopters again tomorrow will not be able to fly out.

Only on 23 March, the weather may change.

For the Russian language experts amongst us, a TV report on the Barneo 2017 preparations is available here:

http://www.tv21.ru/news/2017/03/20/barneo--2017-ekspediciya-na-severnyy-polyus-gotova-k-startu
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 11:01:48 PM by Jim Hunt »

vigilius

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 08:17:38 AM »
Sorry, got lost. Crow pie for me tonight. (LOL)

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 04:56:36 PM »
According to the Barneo Facebook page the expedition helicopters have reached Severnaya Zemlya:

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5278
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 08:09:14 PM »
Man in search of big thick stable lump of winter ice sheet doomed to disappointment ?
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 07:42:39 PM »
So what do I know? Thebarentsobserver.com reports today that base camp is successfully established. And that the ice is in good nick.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 08:20:45 PM »
From that website's article on Barneo:
This year’s Barneo camp is located close to the North Pole at 89º24’N 135ºW, on a spot by the explorers named Zhalyuzi-2.
Also the aircraft proceeded to Zhalyuzi-2 where nine men were parachuted to the ice.
Temperature on site is minus 20 ºС and winds 3-4 m/s. Ice conditions in the area are good, the explorers say.
Cool way to arrive!  I wonder how thick the ice is.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 10:51:14 PM »
Some videos of the drop to Zhalyuzi-2 via Irina Orlova's YouTube channel:

« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 10:57:50 PM by Jim Hunt »

Thomas Barlow

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 06:25:59 PM »

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 11:09:55 AM »
Russia Today "reports" on Putin's Arctic adventure:

https://www.rt.com/news/382701-putin-arctic-summit-tour/

The Russian president is touring Franz Josef Land, a desolate archipelago in the Arctic Ocean, to inspect the environmental cleanup effort conducted there. A day later he is to take part in an international conference on Arctic development hosted by Russia.

Vladimir Putin landed on Wednesday on Alexandra Land, the westernmost island of the archipelago, lying some 1,000km north of mainland Russia near the Barents Sea. He is touring the desolate part of the country to inspect the progress in cleaning up waste left behind by Soviet expeditions and military deployments in the past.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 11:19:01 AM »
Meanwhile in Vlad's absence, via Facebook:

Coordinates: 89º38’N, 058º44’E
Weather: light snow, visibility: 5 km, wind: 4 m/sec, temperature: -30ºС.

The work on the airstrip goes on: 50% of it is ready. There are many snow ridges to chop off and sometimes shallow pits to fill in. It’s just regular job on the strip.

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2017, 11:31:13 AM »
Russia Today "reports" on Putin's Arctic adventure:

https://www.rt.com/news/382701-putin-arctic-summit-tour/

The Russian president is touring Franz Josef Land, a desolate archipelago in the Arctic Ocean, to inspect the environmental cleanup effort conducted there. A day later he is to take part in an international conference on Arctic development hosted by Russia.

Vladimir Putin landed on Wednesday on Alexandra Land, the westernmost island of the archipelago, lying some 1,000km north of mainland Russia near the Barents Sea. He is touring the desolate part of the country to inspect the progress in cleaning up waste left behind by Soviet expeditions and military deployments in the past.

And dump them all at the bottom of the Kara sea as they have always done??

Thomas Barlow

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2017, 04:40:43 AM »

ghoti

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2017, 05:38:05 AM »
More like towards the Barents since the direction towards 0 would be towards England and towards 90 would be to the Kara Sea I think.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2017, 11:52:01 AM »
Fresh from the Barneo Facebook page:

Two technical flights of the Antonov-74 from Longyearbyen have landed at Barneo airdrome. It is officially confirmed that the ice runway meets all the standards and Barneo starts 2017 season!

All the team is on the ice constructing the camp. Also two groups of skiers have already arrived at Barneo with the second technical flight. They are going to pass the distance of two degrees to the Pole.

Tomorrow Barneo airdrome will work according to the schedule. Today there is a delay - the skiers who were supposed to fly to Barneo this morning will be there tonight, after the 3rd technical flight.

bairgon

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2017, 12:01:31 PM »
Using http://www.movable-type.co.uk/scripts/latlong.html they have moved 66.8 km in 9 days, or around 7.5 km per day. Those skiers better get there quickly or they won't be able to get to the pole!

Thomas Barlow

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2017, 03:38:01 PM »
More like towards the Barents since the direction towards 0 would be towards England and towards 90 would be to the Kara Sea I think.

Now I see it. Thanks

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2017, 06:42:51 PM »
From their Facebook page:

As they report from the ice, the runway is ready. At 2-30 pm Moscow time the Il-76 loaded with fuel set off to the floe. The guys also asked to send them some regular fresh water. It’s
impossible to melt it from the snow since there is little snow and the ice is mostly salty.

I wonder about this water problem. Has the ice always been too salty to drink or is this a new thing?
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2017, 06:48:35 PM »
From their Facebook page:

As they report from the ice, the runway is ready. At 2-30 pm Moscow time the Il-76 loaded with fuel set off to the floe. The guys also asked to send them some regular fresh water. It’s
impossible to melt it from the snow since there is little snow and the ice is mostly salty.

I wonder about this water problem. Has the ice always been too salty to drink or is this a new thing?

Young ice is salty. It takes many thaw freeze cycles to expel the brim and freshen the ice. Snow is the best source

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2017, 06:58:23 PM »
Yea that's what I imagine but it is not clear to me what is the problem they are having. Their statement can be interpreted in different ways.

1. There is not enough snow so they need fresh water flown in. Ice doesn't matter because it has always been too salty to drink.

2. There is not enough snow so they need fresh water flown in. In the past they could melt ice to get the water they needed but not this year. This year the ice is too salty to drink.

I wonder which one they meant.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2017, 09:19:26 PM »
The former.  Only thick MY ice can be relatively salt free at the top. see PDF below

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a256303.pdf

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2017, 09:21:09 PM »
Thank you.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2017, 09:34:02 AM »
Video of the first An-74 landing on Barneo 2017:

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2017, 09:22:17 AM »
Barneo is still heading in the general direction of the Fram Strait.

Meanwhile the 2 Degrees North Pole Expedition is heading in the general direction of Barneo, over some rather tricky terrain:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 12:36:40 PM by Jim Hunt »

vigilius

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2017, 06:02:03 AM »

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2017, 09:57:41 AM »
Well, look who showed up at Barneo:

https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/borders/2017/04/russian-border-guards-conquer-north-pole
Does anyone know what flags they are flying?

The signage appears to be in English, but the flags are a mystery (to me).

Inquiring minds want to know
Terry

vigilius

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2017, 10:54:45 AM »
I don't have any personal expertise here but a google image search seems to tell me the the green one with the blue x is the Russian Federation Coast Guard Flag and the other one, on the right is the Russian Federation Border Guard flag.

see for example:
https://www.aliexpress.com/cheap/cheap-security-flags.html
(just trying to be of some use around here LOL)

vigilius

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2017, 11:12:57 AM »
Aerial view of Barneo Camp, from their Facebook page. Photo dated April 14.   Along with this is a comment: "It seems like there is an open water somewhere near the station. A kind of whitishness has appeared through it in the air, and humidity has increased."

Just for laughs I took a look at the QuarkExpeditions web page and found that a trip to Barneo will set you back $19,995 double occupancy, air fare to Svalbard not included. FWIW

vigilius

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2017, 01:05:34 PM »
And I somehow missed this- they had the North Pole Marathon on the 8th.

"Polish runner Piotr Suchenia won the marathon in 4 hours 6 minutes, while France’s Frederique Laurent became first under women’s race in 6 hours 21 minutes.

A Nepali person Bhim Gurung stood second in the race completing it in 4 hours 18 minutes, while another Nepali man Samir Tamang was third with a time of 4 hours 31 minutes."

The picture is of one of the Nepalis.

http://kathmandupost.ekantipur.com/news/2017-04-11/nepali-men-bag-2nd-and-3rd-position-in-2017-north-pole-marathon.html

http://bit.ly/2nAwBAY

Adam Ash

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • The 100 metre line
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2017, 07:14:19 AM »
Well, look who showed up at Barneo:
https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/borders/2017/04/russian-border-guards-conquer-north-pole
Oh to be the luck lad or ladette who has to trudge north at about one kilometre per hour dragging the North Pole sign to keep it in its correct geographic position!

vigilius

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2017, 08:55:22 AM »
Of course if you don't want to rough it with the Barneo crowd there is another option which lists for $27,995:

https://www.quarkexpeditions.com/en/arctic/expeditions/north-pole

Tour leaves for North Pole June 14. (I trust that the Barneo thread is appropriate for all North Pole tourism notes?)

But they may not be able to deliver on one of the promises in the brochure: "Crush through multiyear ice on the Arctic Ocean" (LOL)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 11:03:27 AM by vigilius »

vigilius

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2017, 07:31:29 AM »
Trouble at the North Pole:
"The leader of a group that shot and wounded a polar bear during a ski expedition from the Barneo ice camp to the North Pole is being accused of handling the encounter negligently and failing to report the incident to camp officials, therefore putting other expeditions in danger."

http://icepeople.net/2017/04/19/barneo-expeditions-on-high-alert-after-polar-bear-shot-by-expedition-leader-disputes-accusation-he-failed-to-report-incident/

Phtograph is from the Barneo Facebook page, you can go there to see more comments.

vigilius

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2017, 07:36:40 AM »

Phil.

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 76
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2017, 04:21:01 PM »
Here's a longer first-person account of the bear incident:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A//www.binsack.ch/90-north-100-commitment-die-ankunft-am-nordpol-am-12-april-2017-und-der-eisbaer&hl=en&langpair=auto|en&tbb=1&ie=UTF-8

From that account you'd think that a family pet had been shot, not a hungry predator.  It was apparently within 30m of them and still approaching them.  Under the protocol for workers near Barrow that would qualify as 'encounter imminent', and the recommended practice is as follows:
"If the bear’s approach is such that a serious immediate threat is perceived, a warning shot(s) may be fired by armed and authorized personnel to scare off or slow the advance of the bear while withdrawal proceeds.
If the bear either charges, or if it’s rate of advance despite the warning shot is such as to pose an immediate threat to any member of the work group (or any other human being), the armed personnel are to fire on the bear, aiming preferably between the shoulders. Avoid headshots as the polar bear’s skull can deflect the bullet. Once the bear is hit, keep firing until the bear is still. Try to kill the bear cleanly and quickly. A wounded bear is very dangerous."

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2017, 06:34:04 PM »
When humans and other animals have an encounter, it is usually the other animal that loses.

Thomas Barlow

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2017, 02:53:26 AM »

vigilius

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2017, 06:35:45 PM »
Yeah, they seem to have not got the memo about the "keep firing" part.

And on the other point, yeah, it looks like they are packing up.

Thomas Barlow

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2017, 03:52:02 PM »
Did these camps used to last longer into April/May?

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2017, 05:05:26 PM »
The final drift map from Barneo 2017, including comparison with previous years:

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2017, 05:57:31 PM »
Looks like drift was about 4 km per day ? In 2014 about  8 km per day ?  Could they feel any wobbles, cracks and creaks ?

vigilius

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2017, 02:22:51 PM »
"In the middle of last week, the ice floe on which the camp was located started to crack up.  On Wednesday, an almost 200 meters long crack split the runway in two. During night, the crew managed to extend the strip by 150 meters at the other end."

https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/arctic/2017/04/north-pole-campers-come-home-after-month-ice

So what about the north pole webcam? When will we hear from NPEO?

vigilius

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2017, 10:46:43 AM »
Well, it appears there is a bit more about the bear,

See:
http://theadventureblog.blogspot.com/2017/04/north-pole-2017-barneo-closes-for.html

Of note is that Binsack turned the video of the encounter over to the police (what police? you may ask- well according to one of the links in the article it was the police in Longyearbyen, though what jurisdiction they would have is mysterious to me, more relevant it seems would be comments from Polar Guides Association)

Anyway, links within the story are
Evelyne Binsack's statement:
https://pythom.com/Injured-Polar-Bear-Evelyne-Binsacks-statement--2017-04-24-25396

And then the guide's version of events:
https://pythom.com/North-Pole-Bear-Dixie-Dansercoer-reacts-2017-04-20-19698

Dixie, the guide, is on the far left in the photo, Evelyne Binsack is second from right.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2017, 07:25:12 PM »
My guess is the Evelyne may have difficulty hiring her next Belgian guide.

I don't generally appreciate people that draw crosses with "Holy Water" on other's foreheads, having experienced this once when a son in law lay in a coma. Apparently it's not the first time Evelyne has had troubles with fellow explorers. She mentions being on Everest when two companions left without including her in the discussion, and another time when three of her fellows decided not to follow her lead.

https://www.facts-are-facts.com/article/where-theres-a-will-theres-a-way

Hope the bear makes a full recovery.
Terry

vigilius

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2017, 12:45:20 PM »
Still have my eye out for Barneo stories, here's one about a man with one lung who sledded to the North Pole this year.

https://purpose2play.com/2017/05/04/sean-swarner-completes-explorers-grand-slam-one-lung/

But I still want to know, did NPEO make it up there and put out a buoy farm?