Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Operation IceBridge - Arctic Spring 2013  (Read 58699 times)

Artful Dodger

• Frazil ice
  • The traps have got him, and that's all about it!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 127
Operation IceBridge - Arctic Spring 2013
« on: February 04, 2013, 12:45:59 AM »
Since the demise of the last functioning laser on NASA's IceSat mission, the data gap has been filled with airborne missions known as Icebridge. With IceSat2 unlikely to fly before 2016, these Icebridge missions will continue to be an important source of data on Arctic sea ice thickness and the Greenland icesheet. Here's the Operation IceBridge blog for 2013:

NASA Icebridge blog

Facebook page

Cheers,
Lodger
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 08:03:02 AM by Artful Dodger »
Cheers!
Lodger

ChrisReynolds

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • Dosbat
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Operation IceBridge Featured in EOS - Jan 14, 2013
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 09:41:04 AM »
Thanks AD,

The thicknesses off Greenland are interesting topping 4m thick, but there seem to be large areas around Beaufort that are only between 1m and 2m thick.

Artful Dodger

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 07:40:08 AM »
Agreed, Chris. My main concern with the traditionally thick fastice north of Greenland is it's increasing mobility. Thick, old, low-salinity sea ice does the ice cap no good if it's advected through Fram strait.

The latest ice age maps show that a serious slug of the oldest Arctic sea ice has already passed through the Svalbard - Nordøstgrønland gap, heading South to oblivion... :(
Cheers!
Lodger

Nightvid Cole

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 07:33:42 PM »
Why was it so thin even in the eastern Beaufort Sea, when that area had multi-year ice according to http://www.aari.ru/odata/_d0015.php?lang=1&mod=0&yy=2012   ?? Did that ice get attacked by warm water from below or simply diverge and thin?

Nightvid Cole

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 07:35:30 PM »
Should choose 03/27/2012 in drop down menu after clicking on that link - around when the data were presumably taken.

Artful Dodger

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 09:37:31 PM »
Why was it so thin even in the eastern Beaufort Sea, when that area had multi-year ice according to http://www.aari.ru
Hi, Nightvid Cole

My guess is aari.ru has just got it wrong. They seem to use historical climate forcings for their model, rather than reanalysis data...  :-\

Have you compared the Icebridge data to PIOMAS? There are animated sea ice maps include a hindcast (a retrospective estimate of past sea ice thickness).

Certainly, the rapid ice-out in August 2012 supports the concept of unusually weak sea ice in the region.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 09:23:22 AM by Artful Dodger »
Cheers!
Lodger

TenneyNaumer

• New ice
    • View Profile
    • Climate Change: The Next Generation
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 03:29:53 AM »
The latest ice age maps show that a serious slug of the oldest Arctic sea ice has already passed through the Svalbard - Nordøstgrønland gap, heading South to oblivion... :(

Artful Dodger, please could you direct me to these "ice age maps"?  Thank you! :)

Artful Dodger

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 03:52:40 AM »
Artful Dodger, please could you direct me to these "ice age maps"?  Thank you! :)

Hi Tenney,

Arctic sea ice age maps are published a few times a year on the NSIDC "Arctic Sea Ice News" updates (see Neven's ASI graphs page for a link)

However, since you asked, you can find the latest version of the Arctic sea ice age map here:

http://just-ice.colorado.edu/

Also, look down the page for the section "Animations for Each Month for 28 years". They are EYE-OPENING.  :o

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 02:01:44 AM by Artful Dodger »
Cheers!
Lodger

crandles

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 81

Artful Dodger

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 09:28:16 AM »
Looks like we'll be getting more direct measurements of ice thickness soon. NASA's IceBridge starts its Arctic 2013 season in less than 2 weeks.

http://blogs.nasa.gov/cm/newui/blog/viewpostlist.jsp?blogname=icebridge

I seem to recall that last year their thickness measurement transects matched the thickness estimates from satellite sources.
Note for the Mods:

If you move ghoti's post from the other thread, please also remove this comment.

Thanks ghoti!  Appreciate you keeping us informed! :)
Cheers!
Lodger

Gray-Wolf

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 131
  • Likes Given: 461
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 11:34:11 AM »
The rapid "ice out" in Aug last year might also have a lot to do with what was below the multiyear ice?

Had the ice undergone a severe melt the end of the season prior (bottom melt) leaving a multiyear 'skim' with FY ice welded on below?

If this is a credible situation then I would suggest that this year will also have a lot of 'older ice' which will act more like F.Y. ice come high melt season?
KOYAANISQATSI

ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS

Artful Dodger

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 08:24:23 AM »
The rapid "ice out" in Aug last year might also have a lot to do with what was below the multiyear ice?

Hi Gray-Wolf,

Yes, specifically increased salinity of the surface layer. The Beaufort sea and CAB typically have a 'fresh water lens' at the top. The GAC12 event stirred up that region mightily, mixing deeper layers with the surface, and perturbing that fresh water lens.

That means this Winter's new sea ice will be saltier and therefore weaker. The fragmentation we are observing now is in part due to the increased salinity of this year's sea ice.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 08:33:35 AM by Artful Dodger »
Cheers!
Lodger

Artful Dodger

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 08:28:05 AM »
Hi folks,

This is what it's like for NOAA Scientists flying IceBridge missions, more coming soon to an Arctic near you!

Operation IceBridge: Getz Mission in 3 Minutes [HD]

Published on Jan 31, 2013

"Can you stuff all the sights and science of a 12-hour mission into just three minutes? Maybe not, but here's our first try, chronicling NASA's recent flight to Antarctica's remote Getz Ice Shelf, where Operation IceBridge measured everything from the ice surface to the bedrock below, flew low over giant icebergs, and even scanned a lengthy new crack in the ice.

This year 2012 Operation IceBridge completed 16 science flights over Antarctica and nearby sea ice, flying once again out of Punta Arenas, Chile. This video series contains a diverse set of products reflecting the science and adventure of the mission."

Release Date: 17 September 2012

Narrator: Jefferson Beck (USRA)
Producer: Jefferson Beck (USRA)
Scientist: Michael Studinger (UMD)

Credit:
NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center

« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 08:34:54 AM by Artful Dodger »
Cheers!
Lodger

Artful Dodger

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 02:09:02 AM »
The 2013 IceBridge Arctic campaign plans to fly its first science flight tomorrow (March 20) from Thule, Greenland.
Cheers!
Lodger

Apocalypse4Real

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 02:24:40 AM »
Lodger and all,

Look at the comments in the article:

.....project scientist Michael Studinger said in an email interview.

"The IceBridge team was greeted with a surprise when they landed in Greenland this week, Studinger told OurAmazingPlanet. "When we arrived in Thule, temperatures were over 40 degrees Fahrenheit [4.4 degrees Celsius], which is unusually warm. Temperatures in mid-March are typically around minus 20 to minus 25 degrees Fahrenheit [minus 29 to minus 32 C], much colder. I saw meltwater on the sea ice yesterday before landing, which is very unusual that time of the year. We will see how this impacts our radar measurements," he said.

"As in previous years, IceBridge researchers plan to fly to Fairbanks, Alaska, and back, to measure sea ice in the Beaufort and Chukchi seas.....

"Data on sea ice thickness, which provides initial ice conditions for seasonal Arctic sea ice forecasts, will be released at the end of the campaign in May, NASA said."

http://www.livescience.com/28029-nasa-icebridge-2013-arctic-mission.html

Hunter

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 05:09:25 PM »
Hi all,

FYI, you can track the nasa plane when they fly each day @
http://airbornescience.nasa.gov/tracker/

choose the p3b and scroll up north to see their current location.  Cryosat orbit flight today

Like was quoted above, Thule was (and still is) quite warm.  High temp of 43F on monday, 48 degrees above normal.  Water puddles around the hanger, mud around buildings, etc.  Lot of moist fog around this morning.  Less snow and ice on the ground than previous years around this time.

Its a pretty cool forum you have here, neat to see everyone's thoughts and images.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 05:15:23 PM by Hunter »

ritter

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 05:12:56 PM »
Like was quote above, Thule was (and still is) quite warm.  High temp of 43F on monday, 48 degrees above normal.  Water puddles around the hanger, mud around buildings, etc.  Lot of moist fog around this morning.  Less snow and ice on the ground than previous years around this time.

Real world observations from the climate change front line! Thanks for the link as well.

Artful Dodger

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
Real world observations from the climate change front line! Thanks for the link as well.
NASA Press Release: 13-081 March 20, 2013

"Our long term plan, beginning with the Arctic 2013 campaign, is to scale back the land ice portion of the campaign while maintaining the same coverage of sea ice as in previous campaigns," said Michael Studinger, IceBridge project scientist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md.

Dramatic changes to Arctic sea ice, such as the record-breaking minimum levels reached in 2012, and the potential societal effects of ice loss in the region are driving the demand for sea ice measurements. The mission will survey areas of Arctic sea ice near Greenland with flights out of the U.S. airbase in Thule. IceBridge also will carry out a series of flights from Fairbanks to measure ice in the Beaufort and Chukchi seas north of Alaska. Researchers will gather critical data during their flights between Greenland and Alaska.

For more about Operation IceBridge and to follow this year's campaign, visit:

www.nasa.gov/icebridge
Cheers!
Lodger

Carex

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 04:02:42 AM »
If you go and look at the flight plan they spent the day over the cracks along the Lincoln Sea.

Hunter

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 11:32:32 AM »
All photos are unofficial and credit goes to Icebridge crew.

These are just taken out the window, not to be used for any data analysis.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 11:45:51 AM by Hunter »

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 421
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 12:10:02 PM »
I guess these images were taken yesterday north of CAA and Greenland?

Some of the leads are pretty amazing.
Have a ice day!

Hunter

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 12:20:16 PM »
Yes they were.

Just happened to be coincidence that the flight plan went over the new leads that formed a few days before. 

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 12:54:05 PM »
And now we have the Sun  8) to start the boiling process!
Have a ice day!

PhilGChapman

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 01:25:50 PM »
Thanks Icebridge crew and thanks Hunter for posting. Those leads are pretty stunning.
Surprised to see so much bare land in the first photo.

ritter

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 04:24:58 PM »
Hunter,

Thanks for the photos! If you'd be comfortable doing so, would you give us a qualitative analysis of conditions up there versus other times you've been (if you've been)?

Vergent

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2013, 05:04:32 PM »
For those interested in reading the blog where those pictures come from:

http://hansen-greenland-2013.blogspot.com/

Hunter

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2013, 05:34:18 PM »
Well, there was a lot of buzz about all the leads yesterday.  Mainly just because that area is usually almost lead free when we fly it.  It was kind of nice to have them to give us a better idea of freeboard.  On the transit up here I noticed that Baffin bay had a lot of leads/cracks compared to what I had remembered.  Temps are cooling back down locally, but still above normal I believe.  The temps seem to flux year to year.  Last year I was working outside in -45 wind chill at this time and it stayed cold our whole trip.   Three years before a little further south we were riding bikes around in T shirts and seeing the local lake melt 8-10 ft from the edge with minnows swimming around (Kangerlussuaq around late April.)  I just saw a pic from there and all the snow melt is gone in town.  Two years ago it had 2 feet on the ground this time.

So it really does seem to flux greatly.

Will be basing out of fairbanks for the next few days.  Seems weather could play a part in where we can fly for a bit (ie clouds).

I just found couple pics from the last few years that I happend to take at the same spot about the same time (I didnt know I had done that actually)  They are labeled with dates.

Edit: Thanks for that blog address, a colleague that is here with us, I remember reading it last year for a while.

Edit2:  Feel free to ask questions (I am much more an Engineer than Scientist  :o).  They have left me here by myself while the rest of the crew works from Alaska (I do ground work.) So I might be kind of bored the next few days...

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2013, 06:03:47 PM »
Hunter;

Thanks for all material / images you have supplied to the blog, and I am sure the whole community here appreciate it, at least we get "A front line view of the situation", I can only ask you to ship as much material on the sea ice conditions that is possible, so that we can "analyze" it:
And good luck with the expedition.

Regards

Espen 
Have a ice day!

ritter

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2013, 06:13:14 PM »
Hunter,

Thanks for giving a year over year comparison of experienced conditions.

I've done some snow camping the the comparatively "balmy" Sierra Nevada of California down into the 20s. I can't even imagine trying to work in -45!

Artful Dodger

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2013, 08:29:07 AM »
ICEBRIDGE BEGINS!  8) *Now on YouTube*

Published on Mar 21, 2013

NASA's Operation IceBridge begins another season of science over the Arctic with survey flights out of Greenland. For the next several weeks, IceBridge will carry out a research campaign — the result of months of planning and discussion — to study Arctic sea ice, glaciers, and ice sheets.
This video is public domain.
Cheers!
Lodger

Apocalypse4Real

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2013, 01:33:21 PM »
Hunter,

We are very grateful for the pics and blog, the pictures verify the sat imagery AVHRR and MODIS in a stunning way.

Like the rest of us who post, we look forward to whatever else you may be able to share. Especially images or photos of ice conditions.

A4R

Hunter

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2013, 03:03:12 PM »
Thanks for all the comments.  I should have more pictures when the crew gets back from Fairbanks.

You guys are fast, I had not even got the email on the video release before you all linked it here!  Good work!

Here is one picture that the Icebridge crew sent back yesterday.  Most of the time flying sea ice is very boring :-)

Ice Cool Kim

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2013, 04:20:24 PM »
What about Cryosat2 , that's been flying and returning data for well over 2 years now. It's main mission is to estimate ice volume but an essential part of that is measuring area.

Limited airborne coverage sounds like a very poor patch up for full satellite coverage. That will certainly lead to major overlap/calibration uncertainties so we will have lost the continuity of the record.

Mind you ESA seem even more circumspect about letting anyone have real data.

All the games don't build confidence: if it's not reproducible it's not science.

Hunter

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2013, 11:42:55 PM »
I am far from the authority on answering that question, but feel like I should chime in anyway. 

Icebridge works with the Cryosat group, the are VERY interested in the data, hence the Croysat orbit grid that was flown Wednesday.  Every instrument needs calibration and validation, including Cryosat itself, this is one area where the airborne campaign can help. 

The funding was not in place for an immediate launch of another Icesat.  Airborne measurements of some of these flight lines have been going on since the early 1990's and these repeat measurements can and do still tell a story.  Sure an aircraft does not have the coverage of a satellite but that is one reason it is focused on specific areas.

The cost of an airborne campaign is also extremely less expensive than a satallite.  The cost of the next Icesat could fund airborne campaigns to the Arctic/Antarctic for the next 50 years.  With the status of NASA funding I feel they are getting quite the value when it comes to data point for the dollar. 

The Icebridge/Icesat data is also freely released to the public @ NSIDC.

All the games don't build confidence: if it's not reproducible it's not science.
There are stringent calibrations done on every flight and pre and post campaign.  These are also cross checked to Cryosat/old Icesat data for validation.  Reproduction of calibration goals are <10cm (actually strive for <5cm) for surface elevations.  There is instrument calibration documentation available as well if you really want to dive into the details.  This group takes great pride in meeting these requirements, I assure you. 

The P3 is back flying today and still nice weather here in Northern Greenland thanks to that nice HP Greenland block which is freezing most of the US!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 12:02:20 AM by Hunter »

ChrisReynolds

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • Dosbat
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2013, 07:43:01 AM »
Ice Cool Kim,

Actually due to the movement of the ice pack, carefully positioned transects across the same path from year to year would be enough to track changes in thickness and imply volume changes, which would be sufficient to detect events like the PIOMAS 2010 volume loss event.

Combining with PIOMAS, transects could be used to validate PIOMAS, this has been something on my to do list, but for one reason and another I've not prioritised it so other matters have taken precedent. One reason is that the PIOMAS 2010 volume loss is a very high priority for me, and the IceBridge data only starts from January 2010, when to examine the 2010 volume crash I'd need at least 2009, ideally 2008, with transects across the Arctic ice between March and June/July at the latest. From what I remember IceBridge doesn't do the sea ice in the summer - probably technical reasons for that. Another reason is that CryoSat has validated the qualitative picture of volume loss from PIOMAS.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 895
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2013, 11:53:48 AM »
ICEBRIDGE  *Now on Facebook also*

http://www.facebook.com/NasaOperationIcebridge

More pics and vids
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Apocalypse4Real

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2013, 01:33:47 PM »
Hunter,

Thanks again for the terrific pictures of the sea ice. Would you mind if I shared some with my classes? I teach in "real life," and it would help my students understand what is happening in the Arctic.

A4R

Hunter

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2013, 09:12:46 PM »
Sure, we actially have some programs for teachers, PM sent

Apocalypse4Real

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2013, 12:47:31 PM »
Great to see the P3B over the ice fracture area west of Banks Island this morning.

Can we see some photos from 1600 ft?

http://airbornescience.nasa.gov/tracker/

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2013, 01:15:01 PM »
Hi Hunter,

I'd like to echo A4R's thanks for all your input here, and also his request for permission to republish some of it. In my case the "classroom" is a blog attempting to persuade the inhabitants of South West England (and anyone else who might happen to be watching) that there is in fact a link between our recent "weird weather" and recent events in the Arctic.
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Hunter

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2013, 03:43:44 PM »
Jim, thats fine, just credit the Icebridge team on photos if you would and also anything I write is unofficial (just to cover MA :-) )

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2013, 03:53:17 PM »
OK - Thanks very much Hunter.

Hot off the presses via Facebook, a Weather Channel interview with Michael Studinger. It currently seems to segue into TWC's current jetstream analysis.

http://www.weather.com/video/operation-ice-bridge-35835

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2013, 11:34:58 PM »
Hi Hunter,

Here's what I've come up with:

http://econnexus.org/bigger-cracks-than-ever-in-the-beaufort-sea-ice/

Please let me know ASAP if you're unhappy with the credits, or if you spot any other obvious errors or omissions.

Thanks again!

Jim

Apocalypse4Real

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2013, 12:17:32 AM »
From the IceBridge Mission report for 03-27-13

"Another successful IceBridge sea ice mission was completed today (Zigzag East Nares Strait), with all sea ice remote sensing instruments reporting good data. Weather was fairly good for the entire mission with only a few scattered low cloud areas, particularly in the southern Nares Strait."

Photo Credit - IceBridge

Hunter

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2013, 11:06:15 AM »
All looks good guys, Its nice to see all the interest in the project.

North pole flight today, see the flight plan including Cryosat orbits for today.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1160
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2013, 05:25:30 PM »
The IceBridge team tweeted this pic of Beaufort Sea a couple days ago.

Regarding the looming satellite gap: a private company in Bethesda, Maryland (US) is proposing to launch 12 small satellites in low-Earth orbit to collect weather data and sell it to the government.

http://www.wunderground.com/news/weather-satellite-worries-20130326
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2013, 08:23:40 PM »
Hunter

Is there the possibility that your group caught PII2012-A-1 in the lens? It's grounding in Kane Basin could have an effect on advection through Nares Strait this year & any possibility of it breaking up might be of importance.

Terry

Apocalypse4Real

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
Re: Operation IceBridge - Arctic Spring 2013
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2013, 01:56:05 PM »
NASA Icebridge website comments on the state of the ice during this mission series as being more broken up, which is helping to measure ice thickness. It contains daily updates on the flights and ice.

http://blogs.nasa.gov/cm/newui/blog/viewpostlist.jsp?blogname=icebridge

Also, on Thursday there was an engine problem and the P3B has returned to Wallops for repairs and is to resume Greenland flights this coming week.

Thanks to Hunter and the NASA Icebridge crew for the valuable research they are doing.

Hunter

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2013, 04:14:37 PM »
Terry, spent yesterday sifting through the data from the Nares strait flight, sadly we just missed the berg.  We are switching to land ice soon, not sure if we will get the chance to see it again this year.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2013, 09:46:58 PM »

Hunter

It's a shame you may not get a chance to see it. At almost twice the height of the Giza Pyramid & many, many times the weight, it may be the biggest ice island we'll experience in our lifetime. PII2010 had a larger surface area, but PII2012 is much thicker.

Andreas Muenchow quotes Julio Friedman who has estimated that the weight of the two combined  is 42 gigaton, or 80 times the weight of all humanity. If PII2012-A-1 survives the fierce tides and summer melt it could seriously effect ice advection through Nares Strait for at least the coming season. If it does so it could have an effect on when we'll see the first ice free period in the Arctic.

The photos and first hand accounts you're providing keep us coming back for more. I really hadn't expected you to be sorting through the reams of photos your team has shot just to satisfy my curiosity, but the effort is very much appreciated.

Terry