Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Far Right's Great White Arctic Sea Ice Con  (Read 273277 times)

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
Re: The Mail's Great White Arctic Sea Ice Con
« Reply #251 on: January 29, 2015, 12:41:30 PM »
Ah yes. Thanks Jeff. I forgot to mention all the SkS backroom guys 'n gals.

Meanwhile Richard Tol has swallowed our bait on Twitter, hook line and sinker:

https://twitter.com/RichardTol/status/560733683209228288
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 30, 2015, 07:40:09 PM »
A teaser for our forthcoming interview with NSIDC director Mark Serreze.

While we're at it we also "out" Anthony Watts as a compulsive liar!

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/2015/01/mark-serreze-and-the-arctic-sea-ice-death-spiral/
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 30, 2015, 11:43:31 PM »
Not too far off topic, Gavin Schmidt reports on Twitter regarding his long running legal battle:

The dismissal of this action with prejudice.

https://twitter.com/ClimateOfGavin/status/561283764865990656
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 01:07:14 PM by Jim Hunt »

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 31, 2015, 11:13:42 AM »
I now have the bit firmly between my teeth, and I discover this morning that The Economist seems to be turning into a tabloid:

http://www.economist.com/news/international/21641240-hype-over-arctic-recedes-along-summer-ice-not-so-cool

Please forgive my rather brusque manner, but I arrive fresh from hauling the Mail on Sunday in front of IPSO.

Can The Economist provide some evidence for their rather vague assertion that "less [Arctic] sea ice melted last summer than in 2013". Can you for example provide a link to an authoritative source?

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 01, 2015, 11:09:26 AM »
It seems that The Economist's editors don't work weekends, so here's an in depth introduction to my misgivings:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/2015/01/is-the-economist-being-economical-with-the-truth-about-arctic-sea-ice/

The videos can also be viewed over on the NSR thread.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 01, 2015, 12:24:10 PM »
Shock News! David Rose "interviews" himself in today's Mail on Sunday.  :D

Climate of Hate: His children are urged to kill him, he's compared to Adolf Hitler and labelled a 'denier' – even though he's Jewish. Disturbing article reveals what happens if you dare to doubt the Green prophets of doom

https://archive.today/w2V9V

"Snow White" could bite her tongue no longer:

https://twitter.com/GreatWhiteCon/status/561845273602052099

Expect more from us both in the fullness of time!

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 01, 2015, 03:27:08 PM »
I promised you all more, and here it is:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/2015/02/the-science-of-the-david-rose-climate-of-hate-self-interview/
Unfortunately [the article] is misleading and/or inaccurate, apart from the bit about the long term trend in Arctic sea ice. Hence I’ve just popped yet another Dear John (and Poppy) virtual letter to Mr. Rose’s managing editor (+PA) at the Mail on Sunday, and I’ll have yet another long chat with IPSO tomorrow.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 02, 2015, 12:15:31 AM »
Shock News!!! After much gentle persuasion WUWT's issued an "update" to the scurrilous smear on Mark Serreze's reputation they published recently:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/2015/01/mark-serreze-and-the-arctic-sea-ice-death-spiral/#Feb01

It seems it was NASA wott dun it, not the NSIDC. Many questions remain unanswered still however. Such as why did Watts blame NASA for the "summer sea ice may be gone in five years" statement in 2012, but then the NSIDC in 2015?

KeithAnt

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #259 on: February 02, 2015, 10:58:25 PM »
You may or may not have seen this Jim; friend Watts has been at it again distorting a new science paper providing a anti anthropogenic climate change meaning.
One of the authors set him right.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/02/02/3617462/science-is-hard/

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 03, 2015, 12:38:30 AM »
Thanks Keith.

No I hadn't seen that before, and for some strange reason that sorry story doesn't surprise me in the slightest!

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 07, 2015, 05:11:35 PM »
I was desperately disappointed to discover that The Economist has neglected to print my virtual letter to their editor (and their "man in Tromso"). I have therefore taken the liberty of self-publishing it. See if you can find it with the aid of the Great God Google:

https://www.google.com/search?q=arctic+economist

It's currently #7 on my remote desktop, connected to a "clean" UK based server.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 13, 2015, 11:22:34 PM »
I just got back from a spirited debate at Exeter University which pitted Kevin Anderson of the Tyndall Centre against Richard Betts from the Met Office on the proposition that "This house believes we have forgotten about climate change".

Richard gave a rousing closing speech which amongst other things roundly denounced Christopher Booker's article in last weekend's Sunday Telegraph. I mentioned to Richard that we are already on that case:

"A Letter to the Editor of the Sunday Telegraph"

Kasia (my better half) and I voted for Kevin, but the majority of the assembled multitude of students went for Richard. Thus the proposition was rejected.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 12:06:34 AM by Jim Hunt »

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 17, 2015, 12:15:41 AM »
In related (and hopefully not too far off topic) "Shock News!" my professional alter ego was subjected to both unsubstantiated allegations and undeleted expletives by a UKIP prospective parliamentary candidate and energy spokesperson:

https://twitter.com/V2gUK/status/567281726813372416

He even called my attractive non-libel lawyer "He"!

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 22, 2015, 04:01:42 PM »
Christopher Booker's latest play in the “ClimateGate 2″ edition of ClimateBall™ appears in his article in this morning’s edition of the Sunday Telegraph, ably assisted by BBC Radio 4's so called "review of the morning papers" at 7 AM.

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/2015/02/the-greatest-scandal-in-the-history-of-science/

It seems that both Booker and Telegraph editor Ian Marsden are utterly incapable of understanding climate science, even when compelling video evidence is placed on a plate right under their respective noses.

Please feel free to spread the word!

https://twitter.com/GreatWhiteCon/status/569502151304749056

and/or

https://www.facebook.com/GreatWhiteCon/posts/676792169109481

silkman

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 58
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #265 on: February 22, 2015, 08:24:33 PM »
Jim

We all know where Booker is coming from and it's no surprise that the Telegraph gives him a bully pulpit to preach from.

But like you I'm sure, I almost choked on my morning cup of tea when the BBC's review of the papers gave this ageing and bigoted non-scientist's views credibility he just doesn't deserve.

I despair when the main stream media in the UK feel they need to use Booker, Monckton or even Nigel Lawson to bring "balance" to what they insist on characterising as a debate about the very existence of anthropogenic climate change.

Only the Guardian has reliably nailed it's flag to the mast and, until others follow suit, it's difficult to see public opinion reaching an realistic understanding of the importance of the challenges we face.

With our current crop of weak political leaders seemingly incapable of doing more than determining policy by focus group I can see no way that the UK is going to have any positive impact on the outcome in Paris later this year.

Gray-Wolf

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 131
  • Likes Given: 458
« Reply #266 on: February 22, 2015, 09:07:05 PM »
Esp. after the beebs move to bring some 'balance' to things by not doing the "they say this so what do you say?" take on climate.
KOYAANISQATSI

ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 23, 2015, 07:41:40 PM »
For those who do do Twitter, here's a little riddle:

https://twitter.com/GreatWhiteCon/status/569923961133379584

For those who don't, click a link or two to reveal the answer:

BBC Radio 4 Swallows Booker’s Bait

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 04, 2015, 12:14:48 PM »
In the cause of spreading the word about the porky pies being promulgated by the likes of Rose, Booker and Neil I took the opportunity at the weekend to field test my thickest winter wetsuit whilst simultaneously discovering which out of a variety of well known UK journalists and broadcasters is in actual fact the most famous:

The Great White Con Arctic Basin Big Wave (Fantasy?) Surfing Contest Equipment Evaluation Expedition #1

Here's my best wave of the day:

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 09, 2015, 02:25:40 AM »
The surf was up again in SW England this weekend. This interview with the guy parked next to us took an interesting turn when he eventually mentioned "North Cape"!

He also seemed highly amused at the prospect of Rose, Booker and Neil hitting some Arctic surf clad only in Polar Bear suits!

Pmt111500

« Reply #270 on: March 09, 2015, 01:14:39 PM »
torygraph is, I guess, beyond repair: h ttp://www.te legraph.co.uk/news/earth/environment/globalwarming/11395516/The-fiddling-with-temperature-data-is-the-biggest-science-scandal-ever.h tml
(intentionally broken link)
a squarehead: [:-/)

LRC1962

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #271 on: March 09, 2015, 02:23:25 PM »
torygraph is, I guess, beyond repair: h ttp://www.te legraph.co.uk/news/earth/environment/globalwarming/11395516/The-fiddling-with-temperature-data-is-the-biggest-science-scandal-ever.h tml
(intentionally broken link)
a squarehead: [:-/)
They really need to see in which it shows that 'fiddling' with numbers is actually good science.
"All truth passes through three stages: First, it is ridiculed; Second,  it is violently opposed; and Third, it is accepted as self-evident."
       - Arthur Schopenhauer

DavidR

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 36
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #272 on: April 06, 2015, 10:45:57 AM »
The Mail is not the only  place for getting complete nonsense. Australia's least informed environment writer, Graham Lloyd of the Australian reported on Saturday that there is a "new climate change 'pause' as Arctic melt stabilises".

"Melting Arctic sea ice, a keenly watched measure of global climate change, has "paused", sharpening debate on whether humans or natural variability are to blame for the earlier decline.

After shrinking 35 percent  over several decades, the low point reached in Arctic ice cover appears to have stabilized. This is despite a record low maximum sea ice extent this winter ...

Scientists who first identified the "hiatus" in global average surface temperatures are claiming a new climate change "pause. { Hang on Graham didn't you just  tell us this was a fact,  in paragraph 1, now its just a "claim"}

Skip forward 3 paragraphs of drivel to "Climate scientists do not believe the long term downward trend  in Arctic Sea ice has been broken". { So its not a fact Graham, not the view of Climate scientists, just  the view of some deniers }

{Skip through 9  paragraphs presenting the unscientific opinions of David Whitehouse of the GWPF, a denialist think tank, to the last paragraph}

The US National  snow and Ice data centre said this years Arctic sea ice extent had reached a maximum 14.54 M km^2 making it the lowest on the satellite record.

Who said Graham doesn't tell us the truth. All you have to do is read the last paragraph and ignore the rest.  Unfortunately the last paragraph rarely makes it to the online edition, but we can blame Graham for that! 
Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 19, 2015, 02:30:15 PM »
Somewhat belatedly, our singular perspective on IPSO's recent rejection of Bob Ward's complaint about David Rose's Arctic sea ice article last summer. The next episode of the David and Judy show:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/2015/04/ipso-powerless-to-prevent-the-great-white-con/

Despite recently bringing her attention to the matter once again Professor Judith Curry’s personal blog still contains the inaccurate and/or misleading information first published by the Mail on Sunday on September 8th 2013 in an article by David Rose. What sort of “very distinguished scientist and ice expert” would continue to proudly proclaim the following inaccurate information after even the Mail on Sunday had retracted it?

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 12, 2015, 12:16:37 PM »
According to Steve/Tony's (un)RealScience blog this very morning:

The New Normal In The Arctic [is] Cold Summers

I beg to differ:

The New Normal In The Arctic

Here's one of many reasons why:

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 14, 2015, 04:44:56 PM »
As lady luck would have it I couldn't have planned it any better if I'd tried!

A denizen of (un)Real Science has challenged me to a £1000 bet. Now I get to simultaneously extract the Michael out of James Delingpole, Paul Homewood and "Steve Goddard", which I must say causes me immense pleasure!

https://twitter.com/jim_hunt/status/598856406540877824

Any chance of a "retweet" or three?

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 15, 2015, 01:09:56 AM »
I've spent the day happily commenting away at Breitbart. Then the ad homs started.

More arrant nonsense from a scientifically illiterate troll?

Go away you silly little man.

Then I was "reported"! Then all but one of my witty comments disappeared.

Thus far I've had no confirmed takers for the other side of my £1000 Arctic sea ice wager. James Delingpole is conspicuous only by his absence, so who should I approach next? David Rose? Christopher Booker? Anthony Watts?

More on the whole sorry story at:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/2015/05/the-new-normal-in-the-arctic/

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 15, 2015, 02:26:24 PM »
I've received no reply from the Breitbart webmaster thus far, so I thought I'd try another tack this morning:

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 27, 2015, 06:46:13 PM »
It has been brought to my attention that Big Joe Bastardi has been "retweeting" nonsense from "Steve Goddard" to the effect that:

Two decades of unprecedented melting has left Arctic sea ice almost identical to 20 years ago

As luck would have it "Snow White" got her retaliation in early on this one:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/2015/05/arctic-sea-ice-fails-to-track-2005-06/

which leads in nicely to this:

https://twitter.com/GreatWhiteCon/status/603597391703502848

not to mention this:

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 30, 2015, 12:23:35 PM »
"Steve/Tony" is now claiming that "Arctic sea ice coverage is nearly identical to 20 years ago"

"Snow White" begs to differ, since the NSIDC 5 day average Arctic sea ice extent has fallen below 12 million km² in May for the first time since their records began:

Trouble Looming for the Arctic?

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 02, 2015, 11:11:48 AM »
Here is Big Joe Bastardi's forecast for the summer:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/2015/05/trouble-looming-for-the-arctic/#comment-210098

Meanwhile DMI >80N temperatures have stealthily crept above "normal" for the time of year:

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #281 on: June 02, 2015, 02:48:24 PM »
I thought "Little Joe" Bastardi got out of the Arctic ice forecasting business when he fell flat on his face in 2010/20111?

Aren't video clips wonderful?

FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #282 on: June 02, 2015, 03:46:51 PM »
Here is Big Joe Bastardi's forecast for the summer:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/2015/05/trouble-looming-for-the-arctic/#comment-210098

I spoke to a member of the CFSv2 at EGU2015 and he told me that there is a problem with their model in that it starts out with too thick ice. They're working on using PIOMAS to constrain this initial ice condition. Bastardi doesn't know this, and if he would, he wouldn't tell anyone.

I thought "Little Joe" Bastardi got out of the Arctic ice forecasting business when he fell flat on his face in 2010/20111?

Aren't video clips wonderful?

I wish I had saved more of those videos to put on Youtube, they have all been taken offline.  ;D
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 02, 2015, 04:48:10 PM »
I wish I had saved more of those videos to put on Youtube, they have all been taken offline.  ;D

Better grab this one while it's hot then Neven! More topical fun & games at:

https://archive.is/5aUsH#selection-2019.0-2031.25

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 03, 2015, 01:43:20 PM »
I can't imagine what "Caleb" over at (un)Real Science has been up to recently, but whatever it is it seems to have given him snow blindness:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/2015/05/trouble-looming-for-the-arctic/#comment-210143

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: June 03, 2015, 02:09:29 PM »
I call it the "North Carolina" methodology.  When the state representatives in NC didn't like the outcome of a study on sea level rise in coming decades......they ignored it.

Apparently that is what Caleb is doing.  If they don't like it....they just try to "wish it away."

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 03, 2015, 04:37:27 PM »
The ad homs continue to get flung thick and fast!

Peter Ellis

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #287 on: June 03, 2015, 05:50:19 PM »
Look at the ablation stakes - the melt pond is draining.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 03, 2015, 06:47:37 PM »

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 05, 2015, 02:22:54 PM »
This morning "Snow White" and I find ourselves asking:

What Planet is Tony Heller On?

It seems he can't spot the difference. Can you?

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 05, 2015, 02:34:09 PM »
http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/photos/5807485/#

Come September 1st....maybe a 9/1/1995 vs 9/1/2015 will help him "see" the difference.

It is amusing that he used 6/1 comparisons.....BEFORE the three wost ice melt months of June, July and August.  I'm sure that was just a coincidence though, and didn't have anything to do with portraying a false narrative..:)

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 05, 2015, 02:57:35 PM »
You haven't been following closely enough Buddy! He's also used 5/27 & 5/25 recently. Just coincidence!

A beautiful picture by the way, from Lake Baikal - "World In Half"

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 05, 2015, 05:04:09 PM »
Shock news!!!

Tony posted yet another Arctic article today. I felt compelled to quibble yet again. Tony tells me I made a "good point"!

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/2015/06/what-planet-is-tony-heller-on/#Jul5-1515

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 08, 2015, 08:45:34 AM »
Tony Heller has been telling fairy tales about Snow White's second favourite subject. She was compelled by some strange magical force to do her own due diligence on northern hemisphere snow cover:

Alaska May Snow Cover At Record Low Levels

She found this flapping around in the cold wind blowing across the floor of the Rutgers Global Snow Lab:

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 26, 2015, 04:56:13 PM »
Look at the ablation stakes - the melt pond is draining.

Your comment to that effect at "Real Science" has finally emerged from Steve/Tony's "moderation" queue!

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/2015/05/trouble-looming-for-the-arctic/#comment-210482

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 22, 2015, 01:06:42 PM »
The Daily Mail's up to its old tricks again today!

No doubt "Snow White" will pen a blog post in due course, but for now here's "her" latest tweet:

https://twitter.com/GreatWhiteCon/status/623784781940174848

and here's the archive:

https://archive.is/NnfM6

which fails to reveal "her" strangely absent comment:

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 22, 2015, 03:52:28 PM »
There's no rest for the wicked today. David Rose is up to his old tricks once again, this time in The Spectator concerning the "hiatus". Archived at:

https://archive.is/e5XHu

At least my comment seems to be visible over there, for the moment at least!  Meanwhile over on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/GreatWhiteCon/status/623855417832161280

I thought "Snow White" was "blocked" by Mr. Rose, but perhaps now "she" is merely "muted"?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 04:03:15 PM by Jim Hunt »

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 22, 2015, 05:41:19 PM »
Back at the Daily Mail, and after much quibbling with the Mail Online "communities" team my now linkless comment is finally visible!

Archived at: https://archive.is/MMepI#selection-2043.0-2045.40

Tweeted at: https://twitter.com/GreatWhiteCon/status/623879613228392448

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 22, 2015, 08:11:28 PM »
I've formally complained about the Daily Mail's leader. Should anybody else wish to do so here's the form to fill in:

http://dailymail.co.uk/readerseditor

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #299 on: July 22, 2015, 11:09:46 PM »
Maybe if everybody suggests another time in the last decade when the "northern ice cap" was "bigger" than now.
But then the stuff floating around in the arctic ocean isn't actually an ice cap so this bizarre diatribe is talking about something entirely different.  ;D