Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Empire - America and the future  (Read 456576 times)

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
Re: Empire - America and the future
« Reply #250 on: August 10, 2014, 10:28:55 AM »
Terry, I share your concerns.

Three groups with most of the money and so most of the power--power which they all seem to be keen to use for purposes of mass destruction--are:

1) The fossil fuel companies, funding climate mass destruction
2) The banking/financial industry, funding financial mass destruction
2) The military-industrial complex, funding good old fashioned plain old direct mass destruction.

The third one is now looking to cash in on escalating conflicts in Palestine, Syria/Iraq, and Ukraine (so far).
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #251 on: August 20, 2014, 08:39:58 PM »

johnm33

« Reply #252 on: August 24, 2014, 12:37:08 PM »
Well reasoned analysis of the steps being taken to bring about our demise. http://www.paulcraigroberts.org/2014/08/23/guest-article-steven-starr-senator-corkers-path-nuclear-war/

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 50

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #254 on: December 18, 2014, 03:11:26 PM »
This is what destroys countries.

Inequality In U.S. Today Is Worse than in Apartheid South Africa or 1774 Slaveholding Colonial America … and TWICE As Bad As In Ancient Slaveholding Rome

....Indeed, economist and inequality expert Thomas Piketty notes that – according to an important measure – inequality in America today is the worst in world history:

For those who work for a living, the level of inequality in the U.S. – writes Piketty – is “… probably higher than in any other society at any time in the past, anywhere in the world …”....

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2014/12/inequality-u-s-today-worse-apartheid-south-africa-1774-slaveholding-colonial-america-twice-bad-ancient-slaveholding-rome.html

I see this every day where I live.  The prevailing wage for service level people in my town is about $7.50 hour.  I made over $7/hr in 1972 working as a construction laborer and later that year over $10/hr. 
We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable. Alexander Solzhenitsyn

How is it conceivable that all our technological progress - our very civilization - is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal? Albert Einstein

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #255 on: December 18, 2014, 05:02:39 PM »
For the small amount that it is worth, the Carbon Fee and Dividend plan discussed at the link below is not only designed to reduce the risk of global warming, but is also designed to transfer wealth away from those with fossil fuel related wealth, to the average citizen of whatever country enacts such straight forward legislation (without needing to wait for other countries to act):

http://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,1068.0.html
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 19, 2014, 04:28:20 PM »
ASLR

The proof is in the pudding as they say.  History over the last 40 years is chock full of plans and pledges that are not worth the paper they are printed on (check out the many phony agreements related to climate change).  When I see actual meaningful action I will then believe some agreement had value.

It is like the nonsense from the recent climate conference where the press trumpets all sort of we 'may' do this, we 'pledge' to do this.  None of those things are going to happen in all probability.  Pledges have no legal basis and no moral force.  Sovreign politics and economic factors will override any of these 'pledges'.

The desperate optimist will always seize on some pablum to calm his roiling stomach and will see the smallest trickle of change as portending the dreamed for tidal wave required.  And they will spend years riding that train until it falls into the canyon.

I have been intensively following the subject of climate change now for 10 years and in all of that time we have made no meaningful progress at all.  Carbon emissions this year will once again set a record driving us even deeper into the hole.  We are past the point already where dealing with the problem could have been executed with some global program based upon fair and equitable ideals.  Nothing less than global earth shaking change forced through the system could even hope to mitigate the disaster coming for our grandchildren. 

My prediction is that our political and economic situation on a global level 2 years from now will put us in an even worse position than we are today.  Remind me in 2 years and we can see how right or wrong I am.
We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable. Alexander Solzhenitsyn

How is it conceivable that all our technological progress - our very civilization - is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal? Albert Einstein

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 19, 2014, 05:26:59 PM »
JimD,

In a world where the fossil fuel industry buys political influence behind closed doors, I cannot say that I disagree with your forecast.  That said, we also living in a world where for at least brief periods the "common man" can at least temporarily exert "his/their" common will against the powerful few; if the "common man" is will to accept responsibility (by vote or other means).  Today the majority of the "common man" have chosen to stay on a BAU pathway, and I concur with you that it will likely take a series of climate change disasters for the "common man" to wake-up and take responsibility. 

Nevertheless, it is my belief that the Carbon Fee & Dividend plan that Hansen supports can: (a) be implemented by individual countries without any need for a global plan (so the "common man" of a given country has no excuse about the "tyranny of the commons" preventing him/them from taking individual/collective responsibility/action; and (b) will use the "invisible hand" of the market place to limit carbon emissions progressively without additional layers of bureaucracy making matters worse.  Furthermore, I believe that it is convenient for the "common man" to ignore effective policy such a the Carbon Fee & Dividend plan because doing so relieves him/them of any responsibility; which to me means that he/they should give-up the right to vote.  The "common man" needs to realize that a life worth living (and with climate change coming, I mean this literally) requires some effort and responsibility.

Best,
ASLR
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 20, 2014, 06:42:32 PM »
ASLR

There is certainly a 'possibility' you may be right, but I do not come to the same optimistic conclusion about there being any probability.  In response I offer the following analysis of the common man and his voting frequency and preferences.

This analysis paints a very different picture of his ability to make a difference.  If one accepts the conclusions it leads to a chain of logic which says the ability of the US to make as decision to deal with climate change is highly unlikely.  But read it and let me know what your conclusions are.

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2014/12/americans-sick-death-parties-politics-worse-shape-thought.html

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 20, 2014, 08:27:36 PM »
JimD,

Unfortunately, we live in a world where when the common man is faced with sufficient uncertainty, they look in the mirror and ask themselves what it is that they want, and that becomes their decision no matter what the facts say.  Therefore, I must concur that until society (both rich and common) sustains sufficient loss from climate change they are not likely to take effective action.  That said, I do believe that given sufficient motivation (whether from risk of sustained climate change related loss, or otherwise) that people do have the capacity to face the truth and to take steps to make necessary changes (note that in a non-stationary climate change future this means continuously changing to face new realities). 

Therefore, while I agree that it is not probable that society (whether powerful decision makers and/or the common man) will face our climate change reality before about 2050; I do honestly believe that when hit in the head by climate change consequences that will occur after 2050, that society will make changes that lead to a more sustainable societal future (which given climate change inertia may take until between 2200) due to people realizing that they need to consider the common good when they make choices.

Call me a Pollyanna if you like, but improvements are out there (whether carbon fee & dividend policies or otherwise) when people are properly motivated to face the truth.

Best,
ASLR
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 05:03:18 AM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 21, 2014, 05:16:10 AM »
JimD,

Unfortunately, we live in a world where when the common man is faced with sufficient uncertainty, they look in the mirror and ask themselves what it is that they want, and that becomes their decision no matter what the facts say.  Therefore, I must concur that until society (both rich and common) sustains sufficient loss from climate change they are not likely to take effective action.  That said, I do believe that given sufficient motivation (whether from risk of sustained climate change related loss, or otherwise) that people do have the capacity to face the truth and to take steps to make necessary changes (note that in a non-stationary climate change future this means continuously changing to face new realities). 

Therefore, while I agree that it is not probable that society (whether powerful decision makers and/or the common man) will face our climate change reality before about 2050; I do honestly believe that when hit in the head by climate change consequences that will occur after 2050, that society will make changes that lead to a more sustainable societal future (which given climate change inertia may take until between 2200) due to people realizing that they need to consider the common good when they make choices.

Call me a Pollyanna if you like, but improvements are out there (whether carbon fee & dividend policies or otherwise) when people are properly motivated to face the truth.

Best,
ASLR

To elaborate on these thoughts I provide the following quote from George Bernard Shaw:

"This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one ... the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will note devote itself to making you happy."

And what mighty purpose is greater than being used to help create a sustainable/enduring social structure for the good those living now and in the future?  This is real joy, real happiness. 

The sooner people realize this lesson the easier it will be for all, as waiting to get motivated by climate catastrophes after 2050 will lead to hardships, which will become sadder the longer we wait.
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 22, 2014, 05:44:32 PM »
With a hat tip to wili, I provide the following link to an article that indicates that uncertainty about to how to act about climate change has led the common man (or all men) to take little, or no, action, much as the "good German" did not challenge the Nazi leadership during WWII.  However, the discussion following the article shows how complicated it can be how to decide on what effective action to take in the face of continuing uncertainty.

http://www.resilience.org/stories/2014-12-21/what-climate-change-asks-of-us-moral-obligation-mobilization-and-crisis-communication

Nevertheless, even if all of this uncertainty and confusion, causes both American, and world, leaders to delay effective action until after the climate change problem has reached a tipping point; I still contend that it is valuable to consider how people can better collaborate (even after the sh*t has hit the fan) to live in a more sustainable future society. 

In this regard, I believe that using a Bayesian interpretation of Earth System Models, instead of a Frequentist interpretation, will allow people to dispel sufficient uncertainty to take effective action, particularly if the economic system that they work in recognizes the true cost of GHG emissions within the cost of the items they consume.
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 22, 2014, 07:39:35 PM »
The linked PBS article discusses long-term lessons regarding the potential collapse (including  for economic, political, climate change, and etc reasons) of the American Empire and the Global economic system; yet ends by noting that internalizing long-term lessons (such as using market economics that do not ignore dis-utilities such as GHG emissions)  can help improve society's prospects:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-sense/indiana-jones-collapsed-cultures-western-civilization-bubble/
― Leon C. Megginson

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 01, 2015, 06:44:47 PM »
Orlov's always interesting take on the fate of the Empire

http://cluborlov.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-imperial-collapse-playbook.html

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 01, 2015, 07:42:09 PM »
An overwhelming article on the state of the US military and its relationship with the civilian US population.

I make no secret of my opinion that the US State Dept and the Pentagon serve to maintain and possibly expand the US empire.  This empire is rotting and will fail.  Much of the reason for that is the rot in the US military and the system of corporate and Congressional corruption which they all feed from.

No opponent of the US who is intelligent and educated about the issues of global strategy and tactics should have any great fear of opposing the US. 

The below link (a long read) can fill in many of the blanks as to why.  A snipet:

....For our generals, our politicians, and most of our citizenry, there is almost no accountability or personal consequence for military failure. This is a dangerous development—and one whose dangers multiply the longer it persists.

Ours is the best-equipped fighting force in history, and it is incomparably the most expensive. By all measures, today’s professionalized military is also better trained, motivated, and disciplined than during the draft-army years. No decent person who is exposed to today’s troops can be anything but respectful of them and grateful for what they do.

Yet repeatedly this force has been defeated by less modern, worse-equipped, barely funded foes. Or it has won skirmishes and battles only to lose or get bogged down in a larger war. ....

Full disclosure.  I served for 21 years in the US national security apparatus - but not in the military.

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/12/the-tragedy-of-the-american-military/383516/

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #265 on: January 01, 2015, 08:37:07 PM »
Full disclosure.  I served for 21 years in the US national security apparatus - but not in the military.

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/12/the-tragedy-of-the-american-military/383516/

Jim, is that your article?
[]

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 02, 2015, 12:08:26 AM »

No of course not.  It would be very low class to pump ones own work that way.  I just thought it was a good read.

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 02, 2015, 12:13:12 AM »

No of course not.  It would be very low class to pump ones own work that way.  I just thought it was a good read.
Well, it could certainly be interpreted that way. You have the Jim/James thing, and you are presenting the article as 'full disclosure' at the same time as the revelation you worked 21 years in the NS state. But I believe you. In no way was I suggesting you were low–class, it was mostly the Jim/James thing that got me wondering.
[]

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 02, 2015, 04:16:28 PM »
Ahh I never noticed that the author and I shared part of a name.

I try when it is appropriate, and within reason, to indicate to those reading my work what level of expertise I have in what I am writing about.  There are a few subject areas where I am an expert and have professional work experience of some consequence.  There are some areas where I have fairly deep knowledge from my educational background as well as a long period of study and I try to distinguish those from the former.  And then there are subject areas where what I have learned (or think I have) is strictly from studying them on my own once they caught my interest.

I temper the above with the understanding that many on the internet lie about all this kind of stuff and there is no sense in getting carried away with providing too many details as many will just assume the worst of you  - especially if they disagree with ones work.  As an example I was discussing over the internet with members of an organization about joining it and in the process they asked me my age.  After I told them they were openly suspicious that I was not being truthful.  When I queried them about why would they think someone was lying about their age - especially when providing a retirement age - and they said young people do it to them all the time.  Go figure.  I decided not to join them.

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 04, 2015, 03:55:22 PM »
Another excellent read.

Ilargi provides some insight into the machinations of the empire and various global interactions.

His conclusion as a teaser to get you to read the whole thing.

Still, America is never going to control the entire world. And any attempt to achieve that goal will take it further away from it. But a lot of people will be killed in that doomed attempt. And down the line the fighting will go on until there are so few people left, and so little organization, that all that remains is communities of a scale people can actually comprehend. That seems to be the only possible outcome as long as we allow for the psychopaths among us to decide who gets to have their fingers on the nuclear buttons.

But before that, we’ll have other shades of entertainment, we’re not done yet by any means. Angela Merkel just told Der Spiegel that she can live with Greece leaving the eurozone. Though that would blow up the entire edifice. I don’t know that I would call her a psychopath, but I have no confidence in anyone who floats to the top in any of our present political systems. And Europe can’t stomach any one country leaving.

It’s high time for a new model and for new people. But the old ones, and their utterly and dramatically failed economies, hold the power, the media, the money, everything. So what other way out is there but mass fighting, mass casualties, a complete overthrow of everything that exists today, probably nuclear bombs dropping, and in the end a world none of us would recognize, let alone be able to survive in?

It’ll take a while yet to get there, and it won’t be a pretty while by any stretch of the imagination. The powers that be are not done yet pretending to rule the universe and playing God. We should kick ‘em all out today, but we won’t. Because we’re all too much like them.

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2015/01/ilargi-oil-power-psychopaths.html

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: January 04, 2015, 04:18:40 PM »
http://www.france24.com/en/f24-interview/20141231-interview-bernard-guetta-national-borders-undermined-syria-iraq-mali-ukraine/

An excellent interview with a French columnist discussing the pressure to form new regional borders around the world.  Most of the worlds flash points are centered around the problems of forced borders (mostly set up by the various great powers over the last 100 years) which overlap and intrude on the traditional social structures used to determine national borders historically - religion, race, ethnicity and so on.

One can certainly understand the pressure to revert to historical norms and we see it all the time.  As the power of the American empire and its lackey's fades this reversion will turn into a large historical wave.  It is part and parcel of collapse.  A reversion to traditional (do we say tribal?) norms of government when it is no longer possible to maintain a more complex governmental and financial structure.

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 12, 2015, 05:29:00 PM »
Answering for America’s Madness

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2015/01/answering-americas-madness.html

Yves is overall a brillliant person and I have also experienced exactly what Ann Jones describes in my years of wandering the world.  One can hardly disagree with the sentiments they express and it is indeed hard to answer the questions one is posed as Jones and Yves describe.  But it is not that I have any trouble figuring out what the answer to the questions are, I am always trying to take into account whether it is wise to give the questioner the real answer.

Yves here. This post by Ann Jones discusses the difficulty that Americans have in answering questions from foreigners about large swathes of our policies. I had enough trouble explaining (mind you, not defending) the Iraq War when I lived in Sydney from 2002 to 2004, when Americans were generally still well tolerated around the world. I can’t imagine what it is like now.

Some readers will no doubt beg to differ, but it appears that our supposed leaders are operating out of a mass delusion and trying (and for the moment succeeding) in imposing it on the rest of us.

Americans who live abroad — more than six million of us worldwide (not counting those who work for the U.S. government) — often face hard questions about our country from people we live among. Europeans, Asians, and Africans ask us to explain everything that baffles them about the increasingly odd and troubling conduct of the United States.  Polite people, normally reluctant to risk offending a guest, complain that America’s trigger-happiness, cutthroat free-marketeering, and “exceptionality” have gone on for too long to be considered just an adolescent phase. Which means that we Americans abroad are regularly asked to account for the behavior of our rebranded “homeland,” now conspicuously in decline and increasingly out of step with the rest of the world........

Europeans understand, as it seems Americans do not, the intimate connection between a country’s domestic and foreign policies. They often trace America’s reckless conduct abroad to its refusal to put its own house in order.  .........

It’s hard to know why we are the way we are, and — believe me — even harder to explain it to others. Crazy may be too strong a word, too broad and vague to pin down the problem. Some people who question me say that the U.S. is “paranoid,” “backward,” “behind the times,” “vain,” “greedy,” “self-absorbed,” or simply “dumb.”  Others, more charitably, imply that Americans are merely “ill-informed,” “misguided,” “misled,” or “asleep,” and could still recover sanity.  But wherever I travel, the questions follow, suggesting that the United States, if not exactly crazy, is decidedly a danger to itself and others...

America is certainly to be feared.  But it is not hard to understand basic US policy and actions.  As soon as one sets aside Denial and accepts what it is all comes pretty clear.  America is the modern version of the British, Roman, etc empires.  It is all about us and everyone else is here to either support us (for which you will get a minor share in the take) or you are going to get used rather roughly for impeding our collection of wealth which is going to be moved to the center where it rightly belongs.  Yeah we do a lot of stupid things outside the country but so has every other empire as it passed peak and began the long decline.  One continues to grasp at straws and every idea however foolish (Iraq War anyone?) has some carrot in it which seems so attractive that it cannot be resisted.  When Dick Cheney stated that the American way of life was not negotiable he was not joking and his words resonated with great force throughout much of mainstream America.  Americans may be ignorant of the outer world and the intricacies of foreign relations and how others live, but they are not confused in any way about what they think America "is" and it's "value" in the world.  I am not kidding here.  Your average American has no doubts that their country is the greatest and most exceptional country to have ever existed.  That it occupies not only a special place in history but also in the eyes of God.  It is unique in human history and nothing will be allowed to stand in its way.  Those who oppose it are bad people if not evil.  Many Americans despise Socialists and Communists (they see no difference between them) and have no respect for those who are weak and can be taken advantage of (this is part of our internal culture as well).  In religious terms Americans are most like Muslims - fundamentalist Americans are very much like fundamentalist Muslims.  Muslim terrorists kill innocent civilians up front and personal while Americans use drones and F18's, but that is only a minor difference.

Our internal culture is not only defined by our clawing our way to the top of the heap of world power (such a thing stamps one with a certain outlook on the world - see British attitudes over the last 150 years) but also to a major extent by the outlook of the people who populated this country over the last 400 years.  We are made up out of those whom you did not want - never forget that.  You sent your failures here, your troublemakers, your criminals, your poor, your weak, your discards and so on.  My first relatives to come to America were taken from an English prison and put on a ship and told not to return.  Americans largely carved their world out of the wilderness on their own.  They had no one other than each other to manage this task and because of the kind of people they were to start with and how they were stamped by the experience this is where we ended up.

Many Americans are not ignorant of the social systems described in the article.  They are just not interested in them because they consider them vehicles for the weak and would rather die than take such assistance.  If you cannot figure out how to work hard enough to pull yourself up and support yourself you have no value to society.  Americans admire those who are strong and take what they can grasp.  Thus our cultural fascination with outlaws (I have a famous outlaw in my family) and the successful ultra wealthy free market capitalist (I have one of those as well).  People see nothing wrong with accumulating all one can get ones hands on and admire them as well.  It is better to be on the winning team as just a soldier than to be an equal on the team which takes orders from the strong.  It is a dog eat dog world and we all know which side of that equation it is best to be on.

Now the above is clearly overstated - to some extent.  But I am trying to make a point about how to think about the US as we contemplate the future and what can be accomplished in dealing with climate change.  That is, not much, unless you are willing to acquiesce in the US maintaining its relatively superior position in the world.  Our leaders and citizens are not at all prepared to discuss anything if our 'way of life' is on the table as a bargaining chip.  We will double down first.  Just two days ago I had a gentleman who seems to be very nice and treats everyone kindly tell me straight up that we should send the US military into the Middle East (yes he meant all of it) and to just exterminate anyone who opposes us and convert everyone else to a 'real' religion and civilize them until they were like us (??!!). He got angry with me when I demurred and since that conversation has been very stiff with me.

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 19, 2015, 03:41:45 PM »
New Oxfam report says half of global wealth held by the 1%

Billionaires and politicians gathering in Switzerland this week will come under pressure to tackle rising inequality after a study found that – on current trends – by next year, 1% of the world’s population will own more wealth than the other 99%.

BAU??

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jan/19/global-wealth-oxfam-inequality-davos-economic-summit-switzerland

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 21, 2015, 04:51:01 PM »
National Socialism.   It rises like the dead. 

“This interview was not aired, because the Ukrainian Government decided that it wasn’t appropriate for their purposes.” This is to put it mildly.

Forget about neo- or crypto- or any of that. This “trooper,” as the transcript unfortunately calls this man, is a right-in-the-open Nazi, worse than the most committed skeptic might have conjured. Ukraine is even better than Europe: “Only gays, transvestites and other degenerates live there.” Then: “When we have liberated Ukraine, we will go to Europe under our banners and revive all national socialist organizations there.”

All sorts of talk about “the purification of the nation,” a phrase Hitler liked, “a strong state,” who can stay in Ukraine and who must go. Now comes repellent language, readers, but we should all know of it:

First of all, we ought to oust, and if they do not wish to leave, then cut the throats of all of the Muscovites, or kikes—we will exterminate all of them. Our principle is ‘One God, one country, one nation’”—this also from Hitler. “As far as the current government is concerned, can you see that they are the same scum? Poroshenko is a kike….”

The blood boils. And it boils over with the haunting knowledge that American officials support these people. Beyond the sewer consciousness and language, there is the apparent danger: These people have the Kiev government backed into a corner, unable to behave responsibly.

I can do no better than give you the pertinent passage in the note:

“… I spoke … breakfast time in Europe… with the head of one of the largest companies in Germany. This declaration was one of the first items he mentioned. I took notes—because it is one of my clients—and here is what he said: ‘It is urgent for Europe to bring Obama and the people making the decisions behind him back to reality. If not, this will spiral first into a financial collapse, which will slam into all of Europe, and then who knows where it goes after that? Everywhere, far-right nationalist forces are building. Look at the last U.S. Congressional elections, and think what is coming. Will America ever have had a more nationalist Congress?  Le Pen would be right at home in this crowd. The course we are on now is folly.  Can’t they see that?’”

Here is what Roland Hinterkoerner, a thoughtful analyst at RBS Asia-Pacific, the Royal Bank of Scotland’s Hong Kong outpost, had to say about Ukraine in a recent economic report:

The country is clinically dead…. There is nothing government or the central bank can do to stop the decline. The population is being pushed further and further into poverty. Food prices are up 25 percent and rent, electricity, gas and water by 34 percent…. This is the picture of a Ukraine that is looking an economic collapse in the eye. But its government is still attempting to channel money into the military to fend off the big bear’s aggression…. The danger for Ukraine is not Russia. It is its own demise….”

On New Year’s Day members of Svoboda, the extreme-right party that many neo-Nazis count their political home, held a candle-lit parade through Kiev to mark the 106th anniversary of Stepan Bandera’s birth. Bandera was the Jew-hating, Russian-hating, Pole-hating Third Reich collaborator, assassin and terrorist now honored as an icon of Ukrainian nationalism.

These people would feel right at home with my neighbor who wants the US to invade the entire middle east and exterminate the 'terrorists' and take the place over and civilize it until they learn how to behave like good Christians.

So much opportunity for chaos and so little time.  There is this long adhered to prohibition in supposedly 'civilized' discussions never to accuse people of acting like Nazi's or using language like Nazi's as this automatically meant you sacrificed any point you were trying to make in a discussion.  It was considered too overboard and extreme of a comparison.  Nothing could ever be that bad again.  However, these people actually ARE NAZI'S.  If I lived in Europe is would be really concerned about this...come to think of it I am concerned about the budding ones in the US.  This is the kind of change that I see generated by the rising stresses of collapse.  Making progress on dealing with climate change in the face of such overwhelming short-term threats is one of the reasons why I do not think we will divert from our historical adherence to various forms of BAU.

Adapt or perish.

http://www.salon.com/2015/01/21/distortions_lies_and_omissions_the_new_york_times_wont_tell_you_the_real_story_behind_ukraine_russian_economic_collapse/

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #276 on: January 21, 2015, 07:23:56 PM »
And here's what Collin Powell has to to say about Repubs:

"My party is full of racists..."

https://www.facebook.com/154142984621301/photos/a.156060241096242.23126.154142984621301/770186833016910/?type=1&fref=nf

« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 03:37:06 AM by wili »
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 23, 2015, 03:25:47 PM »
Have you ever wondered about the scale and scope of US Special Operations forces?

It will boggle your mind.

http://www.tomdispatch.com/blog/175945/

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 02, 2015, 05:57:26 PM »
This is really good.

It was August 2, 1990, and Saddam Hussein, formerly Washington’s man in Baghdad and its ally against fundamentalist Iran, had just sent his troops across the border into oil-rich Kuwait.  It would prove a turning point in American Middle East policy. Six days later, a brigade of the 82nd Airborne Division was dispatched to Saudi Arabia as the vanguard of what the U.S. Army termed “the largest deployment of American troops since Vietnam.” The rest of the division would soon follow as part of Operation Desert Storm, which was supposed to drive Saddam’s troops from Kuwait and fell the Iraqi autocrat.  The division’s battle cry: "The road home... is through Baghdad!”

In fact, while paratroopers from the 82nd Airborne penetrated deep into Iraq in the 100-day campaign that followed, no American soldier would make it to the Iraqi capital -- not that time around, anyway.  After the quick triumph of the Gulf War, the Airborne's paratroops instead returned to Ft. Bragg, North Carolina.  And that, it seemed, was the end of the matter, victory parades and all.  Naturally, the soldiers using that battle cry did not have the advantage of history.  They had no way of knowing that it would have been more accurate to chant something like: “The road home always leads back to Baghdad!”  After all, when the First Gulf War ended in the crushing defeat of Saddam’s forces and he nonetheless remained in power, the stage was set for the invasion that began Iraq War 2.0 a dozen years later.  Perhaps you still remember that particular “mission accomplished” moment.

In the course of that invasion, the 82nd Airborne would conduct “sustained combat operations throughout Iraq.”  Once the occupation of the country began, paratroopers from the division would return to Iraq in August 2003 to, as an Army website puts it, “continue command and control over combat operations in and around Baghdad.”  In other words, they were tasked with repressing the insurgency that had broken out after the Bush administration disbanded the Iraqi military and banned Saddam’s Baath Party, putting so many armed and trained Iraqis out on the streets, jobless and angry.  As it happened, parts of the 82nd would redeploy to Iraq again and again until, in 2011, its 2nd Brigade Combat Team was “the last brigade combat team to pull out of Iraq and successfully relinquished responsibility [for] Anbar Province to the Iraqi government.” Then, homeward they went (yet again) and that, of course, should have been that.

But that, as Dr. Seuss might have written, wasn’t the end of it; oh no, it wasn’t the end. Just this week, with Iraq War 3.0 (and Syria War 1.0) underway, it was announced that the 3rd Brigade Combat Team of the 82nd Airborne, 1,000 paratroopers, was being dispatched to -- you guessed it -- Iraq to train up the woeful, partially collapsed, previously American-trained and -armed (to the tune of $25 billion) Iraqi Army.  By now, it should be evident that there’s a pattern here for those who care to notice.  And with this in mind, TomDispatch has called back to the colors one of our regulars, retired Air Force Lieutenant Colonel William Astore, to explore the strange repetitiveness of American war-making in these years.  Like the 82nd Airborne, he’s been on this “road home” before. Tom.........

.....Now, as we find ourselves enmeshed in Iraq War 3.0, what better way to memorialize the post-9/11 American way of war than through repetition.  Back in July 2010, I wrote an article for TomDispatch on the seven reasons why America can’t stop making war.  More than four years later, with the war on terror still ongoing, with the mission eternally unaccomplished, here’s a fresh take on the top seven reasons why never-ending war is the new normal in America.  In this sequel, I make only one promise: no declarations of victory (and mark it on your calendars, I’m planning to be back with seven new reasons in 2019).....

http://www.tomdispatch.com/blog/175950/

LRC1962

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #279 on: February 03, 2015, 06:54:52 PM »
Came across this talk. Note: It is 2hrs long but the lecture itself lasts for only 1hr. The rest is Q&A.
His starting point is that the founding fathers were thinking in terms of white empire from the start and part of the reason for their action of independence was because England was not allowing them to expand as they wished.
Historically speaking all empires fall. The question then becomes why and in what ways. The danger I see is that it could collapse for a good many reasons.
Environmental degradation leaving it with limited farmable land, limited clean water and vast areas of highly polluted unlivable living space.
Giving away its manufacturing base leaves itself open to being depended upon those countries which are manufacturing its goods good grace. Meaning if China and /or India decide fore what ever reason to stop sending good to the US or suddenly jack up prices, there is very little they can do to them. Sure the US could go and conquer, but would not that just add to problems as they now have a country with destroyed manufacturing base which you wanted in the first place and a huge population  to support.
Another possibility is bankruptcy with foreigners owning the debt and calling the shots.
The last I can think of is the rest of the world start ignoring the US strong arm tactics and going their own way.
A case in point is Bolivia which I was born in (my parents were working there at the time). Although the US spins it as it is the presidents doing, the reality it is the farmers the street sweepers, the miners (think working/living conditions of Wales coal mines in the 17th century) etc. They are the power in the country and they have very long memories of what the Spanish did to them before independence. If the see any sign that gets them close to what feels like that they will run you out of town with maybe your close still on you, and they have done it several times with the army looking on, because the army knows they will become the next target if they get the groups listed angry at them.
Note the final 2 lines of their national anthem is a repeat and says it all "It is better to die then live a slave."
Note 2: An interesting thing about South America is that a good many of former Spanish colonies tend to follow the example Bolivia sets because if it can be done there, they know they can also do it.
Reason I added that example is because is shows the US could be starting to lose the infleuence they used to have in many counties. Influence = power = strength of your empire.
"All truth passes through three stages: First, it is ridiculed; Second,  it is violently opposed; and Third, it is accepted as self-evident."
       - Arthur Schopenhauer

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 06, 2015, 05:28:43 PM »
http://www.alternet.org/world/chomsky-and-kissinger-dont-increase-us-military-involvement-ukraine

A very good read.  We have sooo screwed this up it is just astonishing.

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 06, 2015, 05:39:35 PM »
And not to leave out our other wars.

http://m.thenation.com/blog/197057-afghanistan-war-still-raging-time-its-being-waged-contractors

The killing of three US Pentagon contractors at the hands of a uniformed Afghan Army soldier in Kabul last week casts considerable doubt on President Obama's recent proclamation that America's "combat mission in Afghanistan is over."

The US-trained Afghan security forces have now "taken the lead" in the fourteen-year-old war, Obama told Congress in his State of the Union address on January 20.

But after digging into the contractors involved and the circumstances behind their untimely deaths, it's apparent that the US-led war against the Taliban is still in full swing, and that Americans—along with many Afghans—will continue to die.

"If you define combat mission as only having large numbers of US combat troops in the field, doing patrols, and engaging the Taliban, then, yes, it is coming to an end," says David Isenberg, a Navy veteran and author who has been researching private security and military contractors since the early 1990s. "But if you define it as continuing to attack and degrade those you consider hostile, via drone or Special Forces or CIA paramilitaries, all of which are supported by contractors, then not so much."

The slain contractors were working for Praetorian Standard Inc., of Fayetteveille, North Carolina. The Pentagon told reporters the men were "overseeing maintenance work" on a fleet of Pilatus PC-12 surveillance and intelligence aircraft. The PC-12s, known by the US military as U-28s, are used extensively by US Special Operations Command forces in Afghanistan and covert wars throughout the world......

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 10, 2015, 04:53:13 PM »
Greece...Ukraine...EU??.... Hmmm...

https://consortiumnews.com/2015/02/09/wretched-us-journalism-on-ukraine/

A basic rule of journalism is that there are almost always two sides to a story and that journalists should try to reflect that reality, a principle that is especially important when lives are at stake amid war fevers. Yet, American journalism has failed miserably in this regard during the Ukraine crisis.

With very few exceptions, the mainstream U.S. media has simply regurgitated the propaganda from the U.S. State Department and other entities favoring western Ukrainians. ....

..Frankly, I cannot recall any previous situation in which the U.S. media has been more biased – across the board – than on Ukraine. Not even the “group think” around Iraq’s non-existent WMDs was as single-minded as this, with the U.S. media perspective on Ukraine almost always from the point of view of the western Ukrainians who led the overthrow of elected President Viktor Yanukovych, whose political base was in the east.

So, what might appear to an objective observer as a civil war between western Ukrainians, including the neo-Nazis who spearheaded last year’s coup against Yanukovych, and eastern Ukrainians, who refused to accept the anti-Yanukovych order that followed the coup, has been transformed by the U.S. news media into a confrontation between the forces of good (the western Ukrainians) and the forces of evil (the eastern Ukrainians) with an overlay of “Russian aggression” as Russian President Vladimir Putin is depicted as a new Hitler.

Though the horrific bloodshed – more than 5,000 dead – has been inflicted overwhelmingly on the ethnic Russians in eastern Ukraine by the forces from western Ukraine, the killing is routinely blamed on either the eastern Ukrainian rebels or Putin for allegedly fomenting the trouble in the first place (though there is no evidence that he did, as even former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger has acknowledged.)...

...Neo-Nazi and other “volunteer” brigades, dispatch by the Kiev regime, have also engaged in human rights violations, including death squad operations pulling people from their homes and executing them. Amnesty International, another human rights group that Soros helps fund and that has generally promoted Western interests in Eastern Europe, issued a report noting abuses committed by the pro-Kiev Aidar militia.

“Members of the Aidar territorial defence battalion, operating in the north Luhansk region, have been involved in widespread abuses, including abductions, unlawful detention, ill-treatment, theft, extortion, and possible executions,” the Amnesty International report said.

The Aidar battalion commander told an Amnesty International researcher: “There is a war here. The law has changed, procedures have been simplified. … If I choose to, I can have you arrested right now, put a bag over your head and lock you up in a cellar for 30 days on suspicion of aiding separatists.”

Amnesty International wrote: “Some of the abuses committed by members of the Aidar battalion amount to war crimes, for which both the perpetrators and, possibly, the commanders would bear responsibility under national and international law.”

Neo-Nazi Battalions

And the Aidar battalion is not even the worst of the so-called “volunteer” brigades. Others carry Nazi banners and espouse racist contempt for the ethnic Russians who have become the target of something close to “ethnic cleansing” in the areas under control of the Kiev regime. Many eastern Ukrainians fear falling into the hands of these militia members who have been witnessed leading captives to open graves and executing them.

As the conservative London Telegraph described in an article last August by correspondent Tom Parfitt: “Kiev’s use of volunteer paramilitaries to stamp out the Russian-backed Donetsk and Luhansk ‘people’s republics’… should send a shiver down Europe’s spine.

“Recently formed battalions such as Donbas, Dnipro and Azov, with several thousand men under their command, are officially under the control of the interior ministry but their financing is murky, their training inadequate and their ideology often alarming. The Azov men use the neo-Nazi Wolfsangel (Wolf’s Hook) symbol on their banner and members of the battalion are openly white supremacists, or anti-Semites.”....

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 16, 2015, 04:19:28 PM »
http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2015/02/michael-hudson-ukraine-denouement-russian-loan-imfs-one-two-punch.html

It sucks to be a pawn in the game of thrones.

The fate of Ukraine is now shifting from the military battlefield back to the arena that counts most: that of international finance. Kiev is broke, having depleted its foreign reserves on waging war that has destroyed its industrial export and coal mining capacity in the Donbass (especially vis-à-vis Russia, which normally has bought 38 percent of Ukraine’s exports). Deeply in debt (with €3 billion falling due on December 20 to Russia), Ukraine faces insolvency if the IMF and Europe do not release new loans next month to pay for new imports as well as Russian and foreign bondholders.

Finance Minister Natalia Yaresko announced on Friday that she hopes to see the money begin to flow in by early March. But Ukraine must meet conditions that seem almost impossible: It must implement an honest budget and start reforming its corrupt oligarchs (who dominate in the Rada and control the bureaucracy), implement more austerity, abolish its environmental protection, and make its industry “attractive” to foreign investors to buy Ukraine’s land, natural resources, monopolies and other assets, presumably at distress prices in view of the country’s recent devastation.

Looming over the IMF loan is the military situation

The Two Futures

A generation ago the logical future for Ukraine and other post-Soviet states promised to be an integration into the German and other West European economies. This seemingly natural complementarity would see the West modernize Russian and other post-Soviet industry and agriculture (and construction as well) to create a self-sufficient and prosperous Eurasian regional power. Foreign Minister Lavrov recently voiced Russia’s hope at the Munich Security Conference for a common Eurasian Union with the European Union extending from Lisbon to Vladivostok. German and other European policy looked Eastward to invest its savings in the post-Soviet states.

This hope was anathema to U.S. neocons, who retain British Victorian geopolitics opposing the creation of any economic power center in Eurasia. That was Britain’s nightmare prior to World War I, and led it to pursue a diplomacy aimed at dividing and conquering continental Europe to prevent any dominant power or axis from emerging.

America started its Ukrainian strategy with the idea of splitting Russia off from Europe, and above all from Germany. In the U.S. playbook is simple: Any economic power is potentially military; and any military power may enable other countries to pursue their own interest rather than subordinating their policy to U.S. political, economic and financial aims. Therefore, U.S. geostrategists view any foreign economic power as a potentially military threat, to be countered before it can gain steam.

We can now see why the EU/IMF austerity plan that Yanukovich rejected made it clear why the United States sponsored last February’s coup in Kiev. The austerity that was called for, the removal of consumer subsidies and dismantling of public services would have led to an anti-West reaction turning Ukraine strongly back toward Russia. The Maidan coup sought to prevent this by making a war scar separating Western Ukraine from the East, leaving the country seemingly no choice but to turn West and lose its infrastructure to the privatizers and neo-rentiers.

But the U.S. plan may lead Europe to seek an economic bridge to Russia and the BRICS, away from the U.S. orbit. That is the diplomatic risk when a great power forces other nations to choose one side or the other.....

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 17, 2015, 04:58:35 PM »
A good read for both US and EU readers.

Western sanctions and Russian perceptions
I parse the Russian media (corporate and social) on a daily basis and I am always amazed at the completely different way the issue of western sanctions is discussed.  I think that it is important and useful for me to share this with those of you who do not speak Russian.

First, nobody in Russia believes that the sanctions will be lifted.  Nobody.  Of course, all the Russian politicians say that sanctions are wrong and not conducive to progress, but these are statements for external consumption.  In interviews for the Russian media or on talk shows, there is a consensus that sanctions will never be lifted no matter what Russia does.

Second, nobody in Russia believes that sanctions are a reaction to Crimea or to the Russian involvement in the Donbass.  Nobody. There is a consensus that the Russian policy towards Crimea and the Donbass are not a cause, but a pretext for the sanctions.  The real cause of the sanctions is unanimously identified as what the Russians called the "process of sovereignization", i.e. the fact that Russia is back, powerful and rich, and that she dares openly defy and disobey the "Axis of Kindness".

Third, there is a consensus in Russia that the correct response to the sanctions is double: a) an external realignment of the Russian economy away from the West and b) internal reforms which will make Russia less dependent on oil exports and on the imports of various goods and technologies.

Fourth, nobody blames Putin for the sanctions or for the resulting hardships.  Everybody fully understands that Putin is hated by the West not for doing something wrong, but for doing something right.  In fact, Putin's popularity is still at an all-time high.

Fifth, there is a wide agreement that the current Russian vulnerability is the result of past structural mistakes which now must be corrected, but nobody suggests that the return of Crimea to Russia or the Russian support for Novorussia were wrong or wrongly executed.

Finally, I would note that while Russia is ready for war, there is no bellicose mood at all.  Most Russians believe that the US/NATO/EU don't have what it takes to directly attack Russia, they believe that the junta in Kiev is doomed and they believe that sending the Russian tanks to Kiev (or even Novorussia) would have been a mistake.

The above is very important because if you consider all these factors you can come to an absolutely unavoidable conclusion: western sanctions have exactly zero chance of achieving any change at all in Russian foreign policy and exactly zero chance of weakening the current regime. ...

http://vineyardsaker.blogspot.com/2015/02/western-sanctions-and-russian.html

ccgwebmaster

• Nilas ice
  • Civilisation collapse - what are you doing?
    • View Profile
    • CCG Website
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #285 on: February 17, 2015, 07:36:19 PM »

Which is why it was a big mistake for the Ukraine to have previously agreed to return a nuclear arsenal to Russia in return for US security guarantees.

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 19, 2015, 05:07:04 PM »

Which is why it was a big mistake for the Ukraine to have previously agreed to return a nuclear arsenal to Russia in return for US security guarantees.

Russia would NEVER have allowed the Ukrainians to have control of their nuclear weapons.  Those were always in the hands of trusted Russian military personnel.  The agreement was just a cover for defusing the situation and getting the weapons moved.  The US had no more interest in the Ukrainians having them than the Russians did. 

We would all be far better off today if Russia had kept most or all of Ukraine as part of its territory.  It would have cut down on potential mischief sorry to say.  Ukrainian Nazi's in Kiev?  The Russian's should be running the place.

As the EU breaks up over the next decade that sentiment will become stronger I expect.  Europe is likely heading for chaos. 

I sincerely hope the current Greek government has the courage to pull the plug at this point.  It is the only sensible long term option.  Short term it will hurt like hell but that is better than slavery. 

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 25, 2015, 05:26:52 PM »
Cuba - Ukraine

Europe is heading down the collapse path (go Germany!) somewhat quicker than I expected (more on that later if I have the energy) and a part of this is demonstrated in the mess caused by the US in Ukraine.  Europeans should be afraid and strongly resisting what the US neocons are promoting.  But enough of my lowly opinions.

Here are some thoughts from deep experience in these matters.  On a side note it is worth pointing out that Henry Kissinger is on record as being against US actions and involvement in Ukraine.

https://consortiumnews.com/2015/02/24/ukraine-war-a-reverse-cuban-missile-crisis/

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 25, 2015, 07:59:03 PM »
With nazi atrocities and craziness in the recent (20th century) history you would have thought Europeans would be more skeptical of a new totalitarian far–right wave. I guess not when it's *strong* enough. Nazi strong. And served with Coca–Cola.
[]

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 26, 2015, 04:23:50 PM »

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 27, 2015, 06:41:40 PM »
There is an intense level of irony in the below story.

The US instigates the overthrow of the government of Ukraine which is replaced by corrupt oligarchs supported by Nazi's.  Who are in turn being supported by Islamic fighters bound to the Islamic State which of course the US is fighting in Syria/Iraq and contemplating putting significant numbers of troops on the ground there to fight again.  My my.

“OUR BROTHERS ARE there,” Khalid said when he heard I was going to Ukraine. “Buy a local SIM card when you get there, send me the number and then wait for someone to call you.”

Khalid, who uses a pseudonym, leads the Islamic State’s underground branch in Istanbul. He came from Syria to help control the flood of volunteers arriving in Turkey from all over the world, wanting to join the global jihad. Now, he wanted to put me in touch with Rizvan, a “brother” fighting with Muslims in Ukraine.

The “brothers” are members of ISIS and other underground Islamic organizations, men who have abandoned their own countries and cities. Often using pseudonyms and fake identities, they are working and fighting in the Middle East, Africa and the Caucasus, slipping across borders without visas. Some are fighting to create a new Caliphate — heaven on earth.  Others — like Chechens, Kurds and Dagestanis — say they are fighting for freedom, independence and self-determination. They are on every continent, and in almost every country, and now they are in Ukraine, too....

Worth a full read.  The level of crime and corruption is breathtaking. Not to mention the potential blowback of providing even more training grounds for the Islamic extremists.  What could go wrong?  We would all be far better off if the Russians sent in their army and took Ukraine back into the fold so to speak.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/02/26/midst-war-ukraine-becomes-gateway-europe-jihad/

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 06, 2015, 04:56:53 PM »
This is why Putin is not going anywhere anytime soon. 

Name any other leader over the last 20 years who has accomplished this much for his country.  No wonder his approval ratings are so high.

...A recent poll, conducted between 20 23 February 2015 among 1,600 Russians aged 18 or more in 46 different regions of Russia by an independent Russian not-for-profit market research agency Levada Centre for Echo Moskvy radio station, found that 54 per cent of the population agreed that “[Russia] is moving in the right direction”. Eighty-six per cent of the respondents approve of Vladimir Putin as Russia’s president. When asked to name five or six  politicians or government officials they trust, 59 per cent responded: ”Putin”.

Let’s put aside the possibility of rigged polls because there is little to suggest Putin’s popularity is fake. Putin is respected, if not revered. He is referred to as batyushka, the holy father. Many Russians are particularly upset and angry about Nemtsov’s murder because western fingers are pointing at Putin....

Russians love and support their president. I wanted to understand why..

Putin is a strong leader...

Putin built Russia’s middle class...

Putin has improved social welfare in Russia....

Putin has restored Russian might...

There is no one else. ...

Russian people have survived many periods of hardship since the Mongol invasion in the 13th century, which destroyed its peace, independence, culture and cities (including the then-capital, Kiev). It is perhaps this early history, as well as the civil war after the Bolshevik Revolution, the famine that followed, the Second World War and the Stalinist repressions, which indicates that Russian tolerance for austerity is higher than in the western world. Russians do not seek prosperity but stability. They are less concerned with individual freedom than with the collective sense of status and integrity. Spanning both European and Asian continents, Russia has inherited the Eastern sense of community, attitude of acceptance and predisposition towards authoritarian government.

In the increasingly cool climate between Russia and the west, it helps to understand each other’s values.

NOTE that the capital of the Russian people in the 1200's was Kiev.  Kind of interesting in light of current activities in Ukraine is it not?

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/03/why-do-russians-support-still-support-vladimir-putin

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 09, 2015, 04:08:38 PM »
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/magazine/marchaprilmay_2015/on_political_books/operation_rent_seeking054219.php?page=3

This is something that I have extensive direct experience with.  The article is pretty damned accurate.

OldLeatherneck

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #293 on: March 09, 2015, 10:31:11 PM »
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/magazine/marchaprilmay_2015/on_political_books/operation_rent_seeking054219.php?page=3

This is something that I have extensive direct experience with.  The article is pretty damned accurate.

JimD,

Fascinating, alarming and true.  I've also had extensive experience in these matters.  It seems that we have created a cozy government/contractor/sub-contractor culture in D.C that we have finally outsourced governance.  I can remember back in the early 80s, when I had my first opportunities to travel to meetings in D.C., the majority of the attendees were either government employees, military officers with a few consultants who actually had critical knowledge about the subject at hand.  25 years later, similar meetings required larger rooms because every government agency represented had to bring a supporting cast of "Beltway Bandits".  We, in industry, were  just as guilty,in that we felt it was necessary bring along a few retired Generals and Admirals to add credibility to our story line. ........Of course, I was always the good guy wearing the white hat!! (he says, tongue in cheek).

Sub contracting has gotten out of hand.  Most of the "Beltway Bandits" get their start when small groups of former government employees and/or military officers form a small company to provide an ostensibly essential service to the government.  Being good capitalists, which requires continual annual growth, they eventually begin to invent reasons that their services not only be continued but further expanded, requiring the hiring of additional employees.  Who do they hire??  They end up hiring people that don't have the experience, education or competence to get hired by the government or prime contractors in the first place.  It's an endless downward spiral.

I can remember being appalled, at the beginning of the 2003 Iraqi Disaster Invasion, when I found out that the contractors hired to drive fuel and ammo trucks from Kuwait to Baghdad were being paid $85,000/year.  I harkened back to my time in Vietnam, the young soldiers and Marines driving the fuel and ammo trucks for less than $400/month.  And while many were drafted and weren't given a choice as to their duties a good many of those jobs were given to those who couldn't be trusted to carry a rifle on the  front lines.
"Share Your Knowledge.  It's a Way to Achieve Immortality."  ......the Dalai Lama

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 10, 2015, 04:39:04 PM »
I can remember being appalled, at the beginning of the 2003 Iraqi Disaster Invasion, when I found out that the contractors hired to drive fuel and ammo trucks from Kuwait to Baghdad were being paid $85,000/year.  I harkened back to my time in Vietnam, the young soldiers and Marines driving the fuel and ammo trucks for less than $400/month.  And while many were drafted and weren't given a choice as to their duties a good many of those jobs were given to those who couldn't be trusted to carry a rifle on the  front lines.

If I remember correctly those drivers eventually got over $150K and the Blackwater security contractors were above $300K.  All in a good cause of course.

One of the greatest scams ever put over the American people was the outsourcing of government functions to the private sector.  This resulted in a huge increase in costs and an almost complete loss in control and accountability.  Libertarian-Anarchism.

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 10, 2015, 04:52:34 PM »
Another example of the Law of Unintended Consequences??

Something remarkable is taking place in Russia, and it’s quite different from what we might expect. Rather than feel humiliated and depressed Russia is undergoing what I would call a kind of renaissance, a rebirth as a nation. This despite or in fact because the West, led by the so-called neo-conservatives in Washington, is trying everything including war on her doorstep in Ukraine, to collapse the Russian economy, humiliate Putin and paint Russians generally as bad. In the process, Russia is discovering positive attributes about her culture, her people, her land that had long been forgotten or suppressed......

http://journal-neo.org/2015/03/09/russia-s-remarkable-renaissance-2/

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 15, 2015, 03:51:22 PM »
Ukraine

If you still think the Ukrainian 'rebels' shot down MH-17 the civilian airliner with a Russian missle read this.  Probably not.  Have they told the truth about anything?

...When she didn’t respond, I sent her some more detailed questions describing leaks that I had received about what some U.S. intelligence analysts have since concluded, as well as what the German intelligence agency, the BND, reported to a parliamentary committee last October, according to Der Spiegel.

While there are differences in those analyses about who fired the missile, there appears to be agreement that the Russian government did not supply the ethnic Russian rebels in eastern Ukraine with a sophisticated Buk anti-aircraft missile system that the original DNI report identified as the likely weapon used to destroy the commercial airliner killing all 298 people onboard....

Then, in early August, I was told that some U.S. intelligence analysts had begun shifting away from the original scenario blaming the rebels and Russia to one focused more on the possibility that extremist elements of the Ukrainian government were responsible, funded by one of Ukraine’s rabidly anti-Russian oligarchs.

https://consortiumnews.com/2015/03/14/us-intel-stands-pat-on-mh-17-shoot-down/

johnm33

« Reply #297 on: March 15, 2015, 06:44:19 PM »
Ron Paul on Empire http://www.ronpaulinstitute.org/archives/featured-articles/2015/march/14/a-green-light-for-the-american-empire/
not that I'm convinced it's an 'American' empire at all since it clearly does not serve americans in any way, though they serve it. It does serve an internationally aligned elite who can be found somewhere in this entity http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21228354.500-revealed--the-capitalist-network-that-runs-the-world.html#.VQXA7OFma-d
Though how many are true insiders who will not be eliminated/impoverished as time/usefullness  passes I couldn't guess.

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 16, 2015, 07:41:41 PM »
There is really no topic for this piece but since the US is pretty complicit in what Israel does I decided to put it here.  Pretty awful stuff.

Islamic extremists, Christian extremists, Jewish extremists.  There is nothing like global consistency.

Right-wing media outlet Israel National News published an opinion piece Tuesday calling on Israel to launch nuclear bombs at Iran and Germany, only days after the outlet came under fire for publishing a piece accusing a war widow of killing her husband over her pro-peace views.

In the opinion article published Tuesday, the author claims that only through nuclear annihilation of Iran and Germany, with 20 or 30 nuclear bombs each, can Israelis prevent the state’s destruction.

If Israel does not walk in the ways of God’s Bible,” author Chen Ben-Eliyahu wrote in Hebrew, “it will receive a heavy punishment of near complete destruction and doom and only a few will be saved.”

http://www.timesofisrael.com/op-ed-calls-on-israel-to-nuke-germany-iran/

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 16, 2015, 07:56:33 PM »
Ron Paul on Empire http://www.ronpaulinstitute.org/archives/featured-articles/2015/march/14/a-green-light-for-the-american-empire/
not that I'm convinced it's an 'American' empire at all since it clearly does not serve americans in any way, though they serve it. It does serve an internationally aligned elite who can be found somewhere in this entity http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21228354.500-revealed--the-capitalist-network-that-runs-the-world.html#.VQXA7OFma-d
Though how many are true insiders who will not be eliminated/impoverished as time/usefullness  passes I couldn't guess.

Good post..  Well worth the read.