Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The 2014 Melting Season  (Read 1795490 times)

Wipneus

• Citizen scientist
  • Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctische Pinguin
  • Liked: 1025
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The 2014 Melting Season
« Reply #300 on: April 12, 2014, 08:20:14 AM »
http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/arctic.sea.ice.interactive.html

Freezes, 0.2 million km2 within 6 days. Why?

Expect a decrease of nearly 0.2 million km2 within the next 2 days:

-37.1 -154.0

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #301 on: April 12, 2014, 12:09:02 PM »
1. Average temps 80°+N have just dipped below average...

What was open water north of Svalbard (and hence north of  80°) is now mostly covered with (albeit thin) ice:
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 651
  • Likes Given: 244
« Reply #302 on: April 12, 2014, 07:03:15 PM »

What was open water north of Svalbard (and hence north of  80°) is now mostly covered with (albeit thin) ice:

Most of the coverage is actually drift out of the CAB.  There is rather little new ice.  The SSTs are to high.

http://www7320.nrlssc.navy.mil/hycomARC/navo/arcticicespddrf_nowcast_anim30d.gif

http://www7320.nrlssc.navy.mil/hycomARC/navo/arcticsst_nowcast_anim30d.gif
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 07:54:37 PM by jdallen »
This space for Rent.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 12, 2014, 10:40:33 PM »
Good news from Barneo:

NPEO 2014 Report #10
= Friday, April 11 Barneo – Iridium call from Jamie Morison
The WHOI team plus Jamie Morison and Dean Stewart, with Sergei Pisarev and a few  of his colleagues flew upstream down latitude 180° from Barneo and planted their 2014 buoy farm, which includes an Ice Tethered Profiler (ITP), an Autonomous Ocean Flux Buoy, an Ice Mass Balance (IMB) Buoy, and one Surface Velocity Program (SVP) Buoy.  Deployments went smoothly enough that Rick, Chris, and Jeff made it back to Barneo in time to catch the An-74  out to Longyearbyen.  The Twin Otter is due to arrive at Barneo from Canada late tonight.

NPEO 2014 Report #9

= Thursday, April 10 Barneo – Iridium call from Jamie Morison
Webcam#1 was set up on a box outside their hut and transmitted three good-quality images over Iridium.  Webcam#1′s battery tube was installed on the floe with the earlier-deployed buoys.  The WHOI team, Rick Krishfield, Kris Newhall, and Jeff Pietro,  arrived and prepared for the buoy party tomorrow.

Plus some pictures!

« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 11:19:48 PM by Jim Hunt »
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 12, 2014, 10:52:43 PM »
Most of the coverage is actually drift out of the CAB.  There is rather little new ice.

However old it is, it looks to be pretty thin:

RunningChristo

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #305 on: April 12, 2014, 11:59:06 PM »
The very strong lowpressure hoovering over the Russian part of the Arctic is really gonna crack Things up! The crack from Laptev all the way to the Bering strait grew Much in just 1 day, according to the Lance-Modis daily pics! Must be ideal for a Perfect kickstart for the meltingseason?! Can't remember a lowpressure this strong at this time of the year for the years after the 2007 season?!
My fancy for ice & glaciers started in 1995:-).

Frivolousz21

• Nilas ice
  • Live in Belleville, IL..15 miles SE of St. Louis.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 598
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #306 on: April 13, 2014, 12:15:17 AM »
More large snowcover losses.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 12:38:43 AM by frivolousz21 »
I got a nickname for all my guns
a Desert Eagle that I call Big Pun
a two shot that I call Tupac
and a dirty pistol that love to crew hop
my TEC 9 Imma call T-Pain
my 3-8 snub Imma call Lil Wayne
machine gun named Missy so loud
it go e-e-e-e-ow e-e-e-e-e-e-blaow

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 13, 2014, 12:57:59 AM »
Just in time before the North Pole buoys start reporting, I've just finished a rather hastily constructed overview page of all my Arctic ice mass balance buoy information:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/resources/ice-mass-balance-buoys/

Constructive criticism welcome!  Here's the most recent addition. Unfortunately it looks as though the thermistors on 2013I have just gone on the blink:

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 208
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #308 on: April 13, 2014, 06:56:13 AM »

Whew!!! thank goodness!  I was afraid that the arctic sea ice "recovery" was going to be delayed this year.

:P
Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
are not tri-color bar graphs
+3C today

werther

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 31
« Reply #309 on: April 13, 2014, 11:52:42 AM »
Continuing RunningChristo's post...

I've enhanced all MODIS tiles and framed them in my CAD format to have a fresh look on the current quality state of the sea ice.
He's right, this energetic Low is wrenching the whole pack in a counterclock way. because it is the opposite of the normal gyre, the wrenching is opening up cracks and leads everywhere.

The large stress lead along the Siberian fastice is the most pronounced feature. But there's also a matrix of open cracks on the line East Sib Sea-Beaufort Sea.
The round-up also shows in the Lincoln Sea. A torn lead-system on 400 km from the Pole looks like it will provide massive difficulties for Expedition Hope within a few days.

Other remarkable impressions:
-the Beaufort ice looks pretty broken and shows a mosaic of very small to 400 km2 floes within a pattern of greyish leads. I guess the whiter floes are what HYCOM suggests MYI 2-3 m thick. The grey leads cover a substantial total area; these might be 'maximum' FYI, up to 180cm.
For the nearby melt pattern, remember that 'winter power'wasn't great here, >+4dC temp anomaly!
-the Barentsz sea ice, shown impressively red on UniBremen, isn't worth much. It is already fading out in milky waves.
-the Kara Sea, notably NE of Novaya Zemlya, isn't much better. Lots of small floes in a patternless swath.
-the Chukchi looks very mobile, from Bering Strait up to and NW of Wrangel Island.

Could go on like that, but I'll wait for the next few days to see whether the race down has begun...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 09:57:21 PM by werther »

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 13, 2014, 01:47:05 PM »
A torn lead-system on 400 km from the Pole looks like it will provide massive difficulties for Expedition Hope within a few days.

As luck would have it I took the liberty of wishing Expedition Hope "bon voyage" from all at the Arctic Sea Ice Forum earlier this morning:

https://twitter.com/GreatWhiteCon/statuses/455281362522865664

Other remarkable impressions:
-the Beaufort ice looks pretty broken and shows a mosaic of very small to 400 km2 floes within a pattern of greyish leads. I guess the whiter floes are what HYCOM suggests MYI 2-3 m thick.

I simultaneously launched the Great White Con shiny new Arctic sea ice resource pages, concentrating on the Beaufort Sea initially:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/2014/04/new-arctic-sea-ice-resources/

If you'd be happy to share some of the results of your CAD work we'd be more than happy to add that to our list of interesting and useful information about Arctic sea ice.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 13, 2014, 03:08:23 PM »
The large stress lead along the Siberian fastice is the most pronounced feature. But there's also a matrix of open cracks on the line East Sib Sea-Beaufort Sea.

The (somewhat cloudy) view from Terra today:

Hubert

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #312 on: April 13, 2014, 06:30:08 PM »
http://psc.apl.washington.edu/northpole/
- page "Environmental Observatory yet there is no current data. Still the old photos
- why some photos are "incomplete", cut off?

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 13, 2014, 07:19:51 PM »
- why some photos are "incomplete", cut off?

I presume Iridium communications problems, but I don't know for sure. Webcam 1 images are available at my earlier link, and the noise is gradually reducing:

Hubert

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 13, 2014, 09:25:50 PM »

2014 - the year of AO positive. If this will be the summer 2014, the ice cap is reduced to 2-3 mln km2

Frivolousz21

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: April 14, 2014, 07:23:52 AM »
absolutely terrible pattern.

Expect SIE to continue to drop steadily.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 14, 2014, 09:18:55 AM »
The "mists" are gradually clearing at the North Pole:

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 14, 2014, 10:17:03 AM »
Some "cracks" in the Laptev Sea look to be wide open again this morning:

Wipneus

• Citizen scientist
  • Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctische Pinguin
  • Liked: 1025
« Reply #318 on: April 14, 2014, 10:51:16 AM »
The crack in the ESS seems to have reached a max: in the East (Wrangel Isl.) it widened and in the west (New Siberian Islands) it is freezing over. At least that is how the passive microwave sensors of the AMSR2 see it.

(click the picture for an animation)

F.Tnioli

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 147
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #319 on: April 14, 2014, 03:15:10 PM »
P.S. _If_ "precise" is not any precise for real, then also, "imprecise" is not any imprecise: inversion is a both-way symmetric operation all around the math and logic, isn't it. Therefore, when you said ""precise" is an imprecise term"", - you made a nil statement.

Sorry FT, I couldn't let this one go.

You are implying that because A is not equal to B then B is not equal to B. It's not an inversion, it's a sub-set. Be careful how you extrapolate logical statements.
It is ok, but, i couldn't let THIS one go too - so i am also sorry to make yet one more post without graphs and Arctic 2014 melt info in this topic. I am sorry to everyone here.

But i hope may be it'll provide a minute of relief and may be a smile to few people here, too. BEcause this post is kinda silly in a way... Silly enough to be funny may be. %)

Clarify what you designate as A and B. From what i can guess, you meant that B = "imprecise". Yes, indeed, i said that B is not equal to B - but then and ONLY then if, quote, ""precise" is not any precise for real". This condition does NOT involve any "B" - it does not contain the word "imprecise". Rather, it contains the word "precise", which, i guess, you designate as "A".

I.e., in your terms, i implied this: "because A is not equal to A then B is not equal to B". Note that this differs from your quote above.

And i still stand by it, because we know that "B = !A" (using "!" in this sense: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negation#Notation ), because prefix "im" means "not" in this case (according to http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/imprecise ).

So, if we replace "B" with "!A", then my original statement changes to this: "because A is not equal to A then !A is not equal to !A",

which obviously is correct.

To remind, the whole gig is about "precise is an imprecise term" phraze. In your terms, this would be something like "A equals B". Again, we also know that "B = !A". Therefore, the phraze turns into "A equals !A", or in normal words, "A is not A". Which is, again, a nil saying, - the only thing which actually fits "A equals !A" is the mighty 0 (number and concept).  :)

But _if_ we for a moment allow it - i.e. if we agree that "precise" is an imprecise term, - then this very act of agreement has few consequences, one of which - is the loss of any meaning of "imprecise" term. Ergo, label "imprecise!" stop to mean anything, thus the original phraze is self-nulifying on more than one level. Which is funny to me. %)

However, i plead guilty in using wrong english term - "inversion". I had to say "negation", because it is what was meant, mathematically. This error has to do with my native language in which the term for negation has other meanings similar to english word "inversion". Please accept my apologies for this - but for this only! :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 03:40:58 PM by F.Tnioli »
To everyone: before posting in a melting season topic, please be sure to know contents of this moderator's post: https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,3017.msg261893.html#msg261893 . Thanks!

SATire

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #320 on: April 14, 2014, 03:35:54 PM »
 ;D I am so in love with Russian precision and logic! It takes quite an amount of Wodka to overcome that and to get emotional :o.
(Sorry for being so off-topic, too)

F.Tnioli

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 14, 2014, 03:44:23 PM »
If it's "wodka", then it's not russian - it's polish. Please refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vodka . Either thing definitely helps to get not too emotional from what i see on those graphs people are posting here, by the way.
To everyone: before posting in a melting season topic, please be sure to know contents of this moderator's post: https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,3017.msg261893.html#msg261893 . Thanks!

crandles

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #322 on: April 14, 2014, 04:48:12 PM »
But, but, but ....

So, if we replace "B" with "!A", then my original statement changes to this: "because A is not equal to A then !A is not equal to !A",

which obviously is correct.

No that doesn't necessarily follow. Precise might be precise in 10% of cases and in 90% of cases be not quite precise but close enough not to matter.

But one persons 'close enough not to matter' may not be the same as someone else's 'close enough not to matter'. So this can lead to the statement that precise is not precise.

Note also there is in addition:
-imprecise

But there is also
-indeterminable

Because of the indeterminable class, not precise is not equal to imprecise

but I am still not sure how I should parse  "!A is not equal to !A" as obviously correct.

;) ??? :o :P :-\ ;D

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 14, 2014, 08:42:01 PM »
NPEO webcam #2 has started transmissions from the ice, but doesn't seem to be precisely positioned at its ultimate destination as yet:

Likewise for camera 3:

Frivolousz21

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 14, 2014, 10:05:07 PM »
The GFS and Euro are showing a massive vortex/dipole anomaly.

The Euro has a 958mb SLP on the Atlantic side in 4 days.

Nightvid Cole

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #325 on: April 15, 2014, 12:21:24 AM »
The GFS and Euro are showing a massive vortex/dipole anomaly.

Late April was also quite toasty last year up there, and the PIOMAS volume responded by falling very quickly, but then in May, the pattern changed and a very cold, cloudy summer (by recent standards anyway) happened, with PIOMAS volume failing to drop like in 2010-2012.

I don't think we're quite at the point where it makes or break a dramatic melt season. That's a bit later around June 1 when serious snow melt begins in the Arctic Ocean, at least in warmer years.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 15, 2014, 12:58:22 AM »
Following closely in the footsteps of NPEO webcam 1, ice mass balance buoy 2014E has now started sending back data from near the North Pole:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/2014/04/north-pole-webcam-begins-transmissions/

Pos: 89.45 N, 155.11 E
Air Temp: -21.65 C
Air Pres: 984.67 mb
Snow Depth: 20 cm
Ice Thickness: 170 cm

Bernice Notenboom, leader of Expedition Hope, illustrates the effect of such temperatures on the human body:

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 15, 2014, 01:05:52 AM »

Eric Philips' blog today:

The storm passed in the night and we woke to a remnant wind that steadily dropped off throughout the day. It’s now clear and still and warm, around -15C judging by the softness of my butter during the last break. The drift is now slightly in our favour but still has a stiff easterly in it. We made 3 degrees west again but are still in the 50′s, need to be in the mid-70′s. Covered a respectable 17km.

The surface today was reminiscent of the Antarctic plateau. The storm had buffed the surface to a shiny firm veneer and we saw almost no pressure. This entire area is made up of first-year ice. Virtually no leads since we left the North Pole.

His watch yesterday:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 09:31:57 AM by Jim Hunt »

F.Tnioli

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 15, 2014, 08:45:10 AM »
Is the right side of this picture of any practical importance for incoming melt season, and if yes - what are possible effects?

DoomInTheUK

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 15, 2014, 12:20:54 PM »
Sorry folks, but I promise this is my last post on the subject......

FT,

Precision is taken as measurement that must come with bounds of accuracy. By definition having bounds of accuracy makes any measurement imprecise. Try drawing a Ven diagram of it. Precision must be a fully enclosed subset of Imprescision.

You could say that there's no such thing as precise, just levels of acceptable accuracy.

P.S !A certainly does equal !A.

ktonine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: April 15, 2014, 01:48:57 PM »
If you define 'precise' as having bounds of accuracy, then imprecise would be any measurement without bounds of accuracy.  The two sets would not intersect; they'd be completely apart on a Venn diagram.

Precision is determined by the known repeatability/reproduciblity of a measurement.

crandles

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 15, 2014, 04:53:27 PM »
Is the right side of this picture of any practical importance for incoming melt season, and if yes - what are possible effects?

That increase at 30,000 ft and above is staggering  - approx 2010 to 2180 is nearly an 8.5% increase.

Surface flasks for Alert are under 1930ppb this year compared to around 1900 last year probably less than a 1.5% increase and the 8000ft readings look similar.

AIUI, absolute water vapour is low so although this makes the methane more important, the water vapour window is also wider. With effects working in opposite directions, I think it needs someone more proficient than me at assessing the effect.

We do have nearly 6 years worth of methane gain at altitudes above 30,000 ft but the gain is much less at lower altitudes so that waters it down a bit. Then that is only 1 GHG, CO2 levels are 200 times higher even if effect of methane is rather larger per molecule so that waters down the effect quite a bit more. I also believe a lot of the increased melting in recent years is down to the lower volume at the start of the season causing increase in open water formation efficiency  driving albedo feedback so I don't think GHG level change from one year to the next is a huge player. If GHG levels were a dominant effect then I think the changes would have been more linear.

So for the melt season, I think there are enough reasons not to get too carried away with it. I am more concerned about potential impact on next winters maximum volume though. Again this wouldn't be the only cause, ocean upward heat flux and zonal vs meridonal wind patterns are likely to also be important but I am less sure of the relative importance. (Heck, I am guessing enough as it is.)

Lord M Vader

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #332 on: April 15, 2014, 05:51:57 PM »
A few questions: where do I find daily data about the level of methane in the atmosphere?

And what I find most interesting right now in the Arctic is the apparent weakening of ice concentration in the Laptev sea where the ice thickness is only about 50 cm.. Given the powerful cyclone that is expected to hit this area I wouldn't be too surprised if we are going to see an early polynya...

crandles

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 15, 2014, 06:13:06 PM »
A few questions: where do I find daily data about the level of methane in the atmosphere?

This allow various methane timeseries and other GHG at various different stations:
http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/dv/iadv/
It appears Alert only does weekly methane readings. Barrow does a little more frequently.

Lord M Vader

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #334 on: April 15, 2014, 06:44:23 PM »
The following list are the earliest dates when SIE due to JAXA have been less than:

13 mn km2: April 24
12 mn km2: May 13
11 mn km2: June 3
10 mn km2: June 17
 9 mn km2: July 1
 8 mn km2: July 10
 7 mn km2: July 19
 6 mn km2: August 3
 5 mn km2: August 10
 4 mn km2: August 23

May be interesting for this melt season to see how we are doing:) Don't know if these numbers fit best here or in the thread "2014 sea ice area and extent"...

Crandles: thank you for that info!:)

Hubert

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 16, 2014, 12:22:47 AM »
http://arcticicesea.blogspot.com/2014/04/taniec-smierci-na-lodzie.html

Dipole will accelerate this process.
13,0 mln km2 - April 21

davidsanger

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 16, 2014, 01:59:27 AM »
Here's the 2014 Jaxa extent vs. high and low extent for each day:

interactive version

F.Tnioli

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 16, 2014, 08:45:28 AM »
Sorry folks, but I promise this is my last post on the subject......

FT,

Precision is taken as measurement that must come with bounds of accuracy. By definition having bounds of accuracy makes any measurement imprecise. Try drawing a Ven diagram of it. Precision must be a fully enclosed subset of Imprescision.

You could say that there's no such thing as precise, just levels of acceptable accuracy.

P.S !A certainly does equal !A.
All true. But - another true. "Analog" one. While i was presenting "boolean", "black and white" truth.

!A = !A usually, yes. Until someone says with certainty that A does not equal A, then with equal certainy he should also state that !A does not equal !A - too. Amazing thing is, many don't. :D

Frivolousz21

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 17, 2014, 05:17:02 AM »
Jaxa had another century drop

Stephen

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 31
« Reply #339 on: April 17, 2014, 06:12:59 AM »
blah...blah...blah
Attention, F Tinoli and DoomInTheUK, I've created a thread just for you.
It's called Russian Logic and it's in Off-Topic/The Rest
http://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,832.0.html Have Fun   ;D
The ice was here, the ice was there,   
The ice was all around:
It crack'd and growl'd, and roar'd and howl'd,   
Like noises in a swound!
  Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 17, 2014, 10:21:01 AM »
Have Fun   ;D

I have done! Thanks for the heads up. Meanwhile NPEO webcam #1 has uploaded a reasonably clear picture at long last:

F.Tnioli

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 17, 2014, 04:09:16 PM »
I can see it was made 06:29:11 . Is the sun still below horizon on this pic? If yes, can you please give a pic on which sun is well above horizon (if or when such a picture would be available)? Thanks, and another thanks - forward. :)

Nightvid Cole

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #342 on: April 17, 2014, 05:50:37 PM »
I can see it was made 06:29:11 . Is the sun still below horizon on this pic? If yes, can you please give a pic on which sun is well above horizon (if or when such a picture would be available)? Thanks, and another thanks - forward. :)

No, the sun is up (Look closely at the surface irregularities near the camera; they are casting shadows.)

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 17, 2014, 07:02:04 PM »
Can you please give a pic on which sun is well above horizon?

Feel free to click my link through to the archive, then select the image that fits your use case best! How about this one?

Frivolousz21

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 18, 2014, 08:41:19 AM »
THE GFS IS SHOWING THE GREENLAND RIDGE.

OH MY RUN FOR YOUR LIVES.

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 651
  • Likes Given: 244
« Reply #345 on: April 18, 2014, 09:34:10 AM »

OH MY RUN FOR YOUR LIVES.

Well, isn't that just ducky. Elevator going down, anyone?
This space for Rent.

Frivolousz21

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 18, 2014, 10:02:52 AM »
These are April 4th global ssta one year ago and now.

Huge difference.  Global ssta a year ago was .21C now they are .31C.  .30C+ used to be reserved only for NINOs now it has been crushed last summer for 8 consecutive weeks.

And the last two weeks have been slightly above .30C.

For it to be that high this time of year without a nino is unprecedented.

And we are just getting started.

Global temps are going to be crushed this year.  wonder what effect if any on the ice.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 18, 2014, 11:24:41 AM »
The view from NPEO webcam 1 is changing:

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 18, 2014, 11:32:39 AM »

Not to mention the current "Arctic cyclone". Here's the Earth version for 06:00 UTC this morning:

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 18, 2014, 06:19:39 PM »
A vaguely sensible image from NPEO Webcam #2. This is the "French buoy" referred to in NPEO 2014 Report #14:

Tuesday, April 15 Barneo – Iridium call from Jamie Morison
The French team returned to Longyearbyen having deployed their buoy monitored by Webcam#2.  They took Webcam#3 with them, hoping to resolve a focus problem and send it back out to Barneo.