Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Greenland 2014 Melt Season  (Read 144812 times)

Frivolousz21

• Nilas ice
  • Live in Belleville, IL..15 miles SE of St. Louis.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 598
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: Greenland 2014 Melt Season
« Reply #200 on: July 20, 2014, 06:44:32 AM »
Record warmth over SW and NE GIS is a possibility over the next 7 days.

The pummeling is underway and starts in earnest tomorrow.

SW GIS where the albedo is already well below the 2000-2009 normals gets totally smoked with the mean flow S/SW/SSW over the next 3-4 days at least.

We are talking about surface temps in the 500-1200M range reaching upper 40s to near 55F+ over the dark ice.

We will have to track promice stations.  But when temps get up into the 10-12C+ range ice mass loss goes beserker.

Remember this is peak ice mass loss time.  So it's all compounded this is the worst time of year for a heat wave like this to take shape.

I got a nickname for all my guns
a Desert Eagle that I call Big Pun
a two shot that I call Tupac
and a dirty pistol that love to crew hop
my TEC 9 Imma call T-Pain
my 3-8 snub Imma call Lil Wayne
machine gun named Missy so loud
it go e-e-e-e-ow e-e-e-e-e-e-blaow

RaenorShine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #201 on: July 20, 2014, 02:45:12 PM »
DMI shows melt increasing, but also fairly heavy precipitation in the north west. On balance, daily SMB loss increased to 5.5 Gt.

Looking at the posts above we should have an interesting week.  There has been some Greenland discussion on the main Arctic Melt thread which are well worth a read. I hope I am talkative in a good way!

Frivolousz21

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 20, 2014, 06:35:25 PM »
SSTs are now running in the 7-8C+ range along the GIS West coast.  This is 3-5C+ above normal or more in most locations.

Temps are already nearing 70F in many locations today along the Southern and Western coast of GIS and the mid to upper 50s over SE gis.

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #203 on: July 20, 2014, 10:03:43 PM »

SW GIS where the albedo is already well below the 2000-2009 normals gets totally smoked with the mean flow S/SW/SSW over the next 3-4 days at least.

We are talking about surface temps in the 500-1200M range reaching upper 40s to near 55F+ over the dark ice.

We will have to track promice stations.  But when temps get up into the 10-12C+ range ice mass loss goes beserker.

when you show 850hPa temperatures, which as I understand are potential temperatures, could you please explain how surface temperatures relate to them? Is there a way for lay observers to convert them roughly?

Frivolousz21

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 20, 2014, 10:24:06 PM »

when you show 850hPa temperatures, which as I understand are potential temperatures, could you please explain how surface temperatures relate to them? Is there a way for lay observers to convert them roughly?

For GIS I honestly don't know  I use the 850mb temps as a rough guide for where the freeze line is.  It's not full proof.  But if 850mb temps are say 5C over Southern GIS.  The actually freeze layer is usually 150-200M for every 1C above 1500M.

So in that case I would presume the freeze layer is about  2500M.  It also tells me a lot because almost all of the ice mass loss topically speaking is well below 1500M.  In different hot spots like NE GIS, E GIS, W GIS, and SW GIS.

This Summer N and NW GIS have also really taken a beating.

Another near real time trick is to check Jaxa channel 36/18 it updates multiple times per day but if gives a pretty solid view of where surface melt is taking place on any given day.

Combine that with promice data each day as well as the station data along the rocky coasts and you start to get a mental image of what is going on. 

http://www.ijis.iarc.uaf.edu/cgi-bin/seaice-monitor.cgi?lang=e

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 20, 2014, 10:58:47 PM »
You seem to say that 850mbar temps are what you'd measure if you hold up a thermometer at approx 1500m. The 2m temp from the same runs contradict that. I am pretty sure that these are 2m above surface, i.e. on a 1500m surface they are what you'd measure holding up a thermometer, while the 850mbar temps are what you'd get if you'd compress the air to 1000mbar. The forecasts for wednesday take temps on upper parts of GIS from -20C to  -10C, so yes there will be increased melt further down but I don't think as extreme as 2012 when it reached 0C to the top.
The rocky surfaces especially a bit back from the coast of course get warming from solar gain, which the ice has much less of.
If I'm getting this completely wrong, please point me to where I can learn more about it.

Frivolousz21

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 21, 2014, 12:07:19 AM »
You seem to say that 850mbar temps are what you'd measure if you hold up a thermometer at approx 1500m. The 2m temp from the same runs contradict that. I am pretty sure that these are 2m above surface, i.e. on a 1500m surface they are what you'd measure holding up a thermometer, while the 850mbar temps are what you'd get if you'd compress the air to 1000mbar. The forecasts for wednesday take temps on upper parts of GIS from -20C to  -10C, so yes there will be increased melt further down but I don't think as extreme as 2012 when it reached 0C to the top.
The rocky surfaces especially a bit back from the coast of course get warming from solar gain, which the ice has much less of.
If I'm getting this completely wrong, please point me to where I can learn more about it.

your not.

Except over GIS 2M temps are typically horribly unreliable.  In 2012 when 97% of GIS was melting in one day The modeled 2M temps were below 0C for 80% of the ice sheet.

I know the rocky bodies are warmer than the ice sheet.  Hence why I said to use promice to actually track the ice sheet temps.  Tracking the local temps near the ice sheet gives me a rough guide to what kind of low level warmth is in the region.

Jason Box does this.  It's all standard practice.

A huge part of this is a matter of combining different non direct factors and interpreting the impact on GIS with whatever data we have directly effecting the ice sheet.

It sounds like you want some full proof direct measurement of GIS which isn't realistic.

Frivolousz21

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 21, 2014, 12:14:50 AM »
Your best bet to get direct observation of GIS in near real time is promice.  You can track clouds, winds, temps, solar insolation and more.
It only covers a very small part of the ice sheet probably near hot spots.  But it's very helpful.

http://promice.org/home.html;jsessionid=AAC6D72BBA09BBDE8ABB2D10F4CE569C

Frivolousz21

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 21, 2014, 12:41:12 AM »
This site is useful for tracking the general freeze level in the atmosphere around GIS.

I can't say it can extrapolated around the entire ice sheet but it's pretty reliable.  The warmer it is further up typically the more melt area over GIS increases. 

http://weather.uwyo.edu/upperair/sounding.html?region=np

GIS has duirnal heating so 00z is almost always warmer than 12z.

At 12z this morning at
BGEM: freeze layer around 2300M.
BGBW: 1750M or so.
BGAM: 1750M or so.
BGSC: 2250M or so.
BGDH 2400M or so.

While the Jaxa scan is only snapshot sometime between 16Z and 20Z today it verifies my findings with the soundings.  The warmest low level air was found over East and NE GIS.  Exactly where the freeze line vaulted today around 2000M

When looking at GIS topography we are damn lucky Southern GIS is so high up or yeah.

Frivolousz21

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 21, 2014, 12:50:03 AM »
The GFS shows the warmest day over GIS(18z) is near peak heating) in 4 days.  Even so it shows 75% of the ice sheet getting near 0C but only a very small portion of the ice sheet having melt.  GFS showed the same thing when melt area reached 40%.  The use of 2m temps is not useless.  It's just very erratic to where IMO I can't even use it as a general guide.

I think NSIDC counts any scan that shows melting at any given point even tho many areas of GIS above 1500M or even 1000M don't melt 24/7 but melt area is still counted.

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 21, 2014, 01:11:36 AM »
Thanks for the detailed information!

Frivolousz21

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 21, 2014, 01:41:39 AM »
Thanks for the detailed information!

No problem.  I apologize if I came off a bit crass and defensive.  My methods are totally arbitrary and are erratic as well but it's the best way I have learned to tweak the real time approach.

The only realistic way to track GIS is to wait for grace data 3-4 months after real time.

But combing modis, jaxa, temps, promice, and so on we get a decent idea of how it is going.

But even on DMI one method shows 2014 with 2012 or even above a bit another shows 2014 well behind 2012.

Then there is the calving issue which is also hard to track I think Jason Box has devised a way or is coming up with one in near real time but I am not sure.

Oh and of course albedo is King. 

But the best bet for knowing the ice state on GIS is visible sat images.  Tried and True.

http://lance-modis.eosdis.nasa.gov/imagery/subsets/?mosaic=Arctic

Frivolousz21

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 21, 2014, 06:17:24 AM »
One day in and GIS melt goes nuts.

RaenorShine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 21, 2014, 09:12:00 AM »
NSIDC melt area is almost unchanged at 25%.

As Friv has posted above, DMI shows melt increasing significantly. Daily SMB loss increased to 9.5Gt, the daily peak mass loss to date this season.

The only realistic way to track GIS is to wait for grace data 3-4 months after real time.

But combing modis, jaxa, temps, promice, and so on we get a decent idea of how it is going.

But even on DMI one method shows 2014 with 2012 or even above a bit another shows 2014 well behind 2012.

I tend to work backward from the DMI SMB model (right or wrong) and them look for the reasons for any change. I think the model responds fairly well to any change, and has most of the inputs you are looking at.  Of course this only works for hindcasts, not forecasts. 

I don't tend to look at the Total Loss model as often, as you say it is running above 2012 at the moment.  Looking at the model guidance below the graphs (copied below) it says that the only inputs are Albedo and GRACE data.  Albedo is very high this year so could be affecting this in spite of the colder conditions across the earlier melt season.  We'll have to wait for the GRACE data to confirm what is happening

Method 2 is developed by scientists at GEUS and combines past gravity measurements from GRACE with satellite measurements of ice-reflectivity (albedo) and this makes it possible to get near-real-time estimates of the total mass change. The albedo data is retrieved from the MODIS sensor on the NASA Terra satellite.

With forecasts inertia due to ice/snow conditions is a real issue. After a large storm it can take several days in the melt season for the melt to return to pre storm values due to lower albedo etc. I think this is the reason why some of your melt estimates based on mainly on the weather are slightly too high, the weather simply does not have a chance to overcome the inertia of the current ice/snow conditions before returning to lower temperatures.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 03:46:55 PM by RaenorShine »

Frivolousz21

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 21, 2014, 07:47:06 PM »
9C sst reading off the West coast of GIS with the strip of 7C+ still up and down the West coast.  That is brutal.

Melt area will take off today and likely jump well above 30% by tomorrows update.  Either way the hotspots where almost all of the melt takes place are getting roasted.

The forecast show Northern GIS gets a break for a day or so.  It's gentler slopes expose a larger area of GIS surface to melt in the 200-1000M layer.

The SW/SE/W/E sides of GIS are under the gun throughout.  This is a perfect storm of multiple bad combos to get big gis topical ice mas loss.

An early scan from Jaxa today shows the entire Southern part of GIS and SW part having surface melt so far today.  The melt up above 2000M is essentially an albedo exercise in terms of dropping albedo.  But in the 1500M or less areas it's balls out melt and lowering of albedo.

Frivolousz21

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 21, 2014, 07:52:29 PM »
Soundings around the Southern 1/2 of GIS at 12z today show the freeze level is around 2700-3000M.

On the NE side it's around 3000M as well.  Alert, Canada just NW of GIS shows it around 2250M.

RunningChristo

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #216 on: July 21, 2014, 10:35:31 PM »
+14 C at Station North, Close to the Flade Isblink glacier today, for several hours!
Both June & July have for the most of Greenland been well above normal, speaking of temps. Check the link from dmi.dk

http://www.dmi.dk/groenland/arkiver/vejrarkiv/

So it's not gonna be much fastice left around GIS when the melting season is finished!
My fancy for ice & glaciers started in 1995:-).

Frivolousz21

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 22, 2014, 06:09:34 AM »
Apparently there was a big snow event overparts of NW GIS in the 500-1250M range even though 1500M temps were at least modeled above 0C.

RaenorShine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 22, 2014, 11:54:36 AM »
NSIDC shows melt area still around 25% of the sheet for 20/7.

DMI shows melt increasing, but as friv says precipitation in the NW held back the net loss, leaving it almost unchanged at 9.5Gt.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 03:45:08 PM by RaenorShine »

Frivolousz21

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 22, 2014, 01:30:56 PM »
When you look at the dmi graphic is hard to believe massive ice loss happened around a small area of heavy snow when the nearest soundings from weather balloons to the NW and S of that area had the freeze level at 2250M and 3000M yesterday at 12z. 

Also the jaxa image I posted shows the surface melting along the darkest blues.

Also winds were out of the South and the anti-cyclone traversing very warm land and water to the South.

This model says the Gis ice mass loss would be slower than 2013 at this point which saw nearly no ice mass loss.

While geus data thru the 20th based off albedo and grace shows 2014 ahead of 2012.

As always I am highly skeptical of snow falling in the 200-1200M zone. 

And of it was freezing rain there is no way that much liquid froze on contact with the conditions in place.

Frivolousz21

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 22, 2014, 06:43:45 PM »
Microwave data totally agrees with my assertions about the big coastal snow event not being real.

RaenorShine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 22, 2014, 07:07:38 PM »
NSIDC melt area increased to around 30% of the sheet on 21/7.

Microwave data totally agrees with my assertions about the big coastal snow event not being real.

Friv, you are comparing apples and pears.  Melt area is a different measure to SMB (although of course somewhat linked as area is to volume in sea ice)

If the precipitation fell as rain on dry snow or as wet snow it could cause these sorts of readings while not leaving the sheet.  If it fell as rain, and seeped through the ice sheet according to the new DMI model it would not count unless until it left the sheet. Is this a fudge? Of course, but is it better than adding the mass back in at a later date if it does refreeze?

RaenorShine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 22, 2014, 07:20:29 PM »
@greenlandicesmb tweeted the following image showing where the SMB model sees surface melt

It is fairly similar to the NSIDC readings.

Melt appears to have reached @promice_go station KAN_U at 1850 metres in W #greenland http://ow.ly/3nsgnr  http://ow.ly/i/6j9JQ

Frivolousz21

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 22, 2014, 07:54:32 PM »
The high temp just NW of that area on a coastal airport city was 57F yesterday it's almost 50F today.  Jaxa microwave data shows the melt line there even further up today probably by 200-300M. 

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/BGQQ/2014/7/21/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

I won't be surprised if today shows more of the same. 

The station shows only a trace of precip with light rain and drizzle.  Maybe it doesn't register measure liquid totals.

The microwave data shows the surface melt reached above 2000M in that region.

The model must of thought there was sufficient evaporational cooling or some local dynamical cooling maybe from upsloping air.  I don't know. 

But I can say first hand in winter here models bust hardcore all the time showing big snow storms in marginal temps that end up being all rain.

In a zone of 200-1000M above sea level that is almost surely a model error when modeled temps were above 0C up to 2300M there and microwave data suggests the surface in the entire region was melting.

I just can't buy it.  It's not even marginally cold it's just to warm.

RaenorShine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 23, 2014, 09:39:52 AM »
DMI shows a similar pattern to yesterday. Daily SMB loss fell slightly to around 9Gt.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 03:44:33 PM by RaenorShine »

Adam Ash

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • The 100 metre line
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #225 on: July 23, 2014, 10:21:12 AM »
7 Gt loss for the day.  That seems an incredible volume.
But Volume 7*1e9 cubic metres divided by area 2.166 *1e12 square metres comes to 3 mm average melt over the entire area of Greenland.  Sounds plausible after all.

RaenorShine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 24, 2014, 03:43:54 PM »
NSIDC melt area fell on 22/7 by a couple of point to just under 30%.

DMI shows a less SMB loss on 23/7 mainly due to increased precipitation. Daily SMB loss fell to around 6Gt.

My previous reading for SMB loss were incorrect, it should have been 9.5 9.5 & 9. I'll go back and correct now if I'm able.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #227 on: July 24, 2014, 11:53:07 PM »
On the 22nd Summit recorded a high of 1C. That's one hell of a temperature at 3200M (10,500 ft) elevation anywhere in the world.
Is anyone aware of whether the elevation at the Saddle is increasing or decreasing?

Terry

RaenorShine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 25, 2014, 11:34:33 AM »
Terry, you may find this short video from NASA useful, the central sheet is more or less unchanged in elevation.

The majority of elevation loss to date has been around the coasts, with some areas of central Greenland actually increasing slightly in elevation due to increased precipitation, especially in the South East.

RaenorShine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 25, 2014, 11:44:16 AM »
NSIDC melt area is bouncing around the 30% mark on 23/6, increasing by around the same margin it lost the previous day.

DMI shows both the melt and precipitation lessening. Dily SMB loss fell again to 5.5Gt, still well above average.

We are now entering the end of the melt season, where the melt losses tend lessen before the freeze begins in earnest in September. The next week or two will be important in seeing how far above the average loss we end up.

RaenorShine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 26, 2014, 10:14:43 AM »
No NSIDC update today.

DMI shows very similar conditions to yesterday. daily SMB loss nudged down to around 5Gt.

diablobanquisa

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #231 on: July 27, 2014, 04:02:04 PM »
On the 22nd Summit recorded a high of 1C. That's one hell of a temperature at 3200M (10,500 ft) elevation anywhere in the world.
Is anyone aware of whether the elevation at the Saddle is increasing or decreasing?

, but
Terry

Hi Terry, where did you see that temperature? (ogimet ?)
I'm looking at NOAA´s , but the maximum temperature on July 22nd at Summit seems to be roughly -6C.

Ottomateo

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 27, 2014, 04:08:27 PM »

Terry

can you give me a link of where you get that information?

official NOAA data indicate something else

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #233 on: July 27, 2014, 04:39:00 PM »
ogimet at:
http://www.ogimet.com/gsynop.phtml.en

Is the source used. Their page makes it very easy to flip back to other dates & most of their sites appear quite accurate (I assume Mould Bay to have a major problem). The daily Max across the arctic is helpful & the real time temperatures show buoy and ship data that is handy at times.

Terry

Frivolousz21

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 28, 2014, 04:03:28 AM »
 2014 and 2012 are neck and neck but I would presume 2012 will pull ahead

Frivolousz21

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 28, 2014, 04:08:34 AM »
Major drop in albedo over parts of GIS the past week.

RaenorShine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 02, 2014, 05:41:22 PM »
Apologies for the lack of updates over the past week.  I didn't anticipate that our holiday cottage would not have any mobile signal!

Over the past week, NSIDC looks to have continued around the 30% mark before a short peak of nearly 40% a couple of days ago. Melt has been lessening since then, with the most recent value of just under 20% (31/7).

DMI shows daily SMB loss reducing over the past week to around 3Gt (1/8).

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 420
« Reply #237 on: August 02, 2014, 10:49:05 PM »
No problem! Nice to be without signals sometimes ;)
Have a ice day!

RaenorShine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 03, 2014, 06:34:40 PM »
NSIDC shows melt area increasing slightly to just over the 20% mark on 1/8.

DMI shows SMB loss increasing again due to increased melt along the west coast. Daily SMB loss increased to 5Gt.

As friv has pointed out above, the albedo anomaly is really nasty at the moment, this cant be helping with ice conservation.

RaenorShine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 04, 2014, 10:23:52 AM »
NSIDC shows melt area unchanged at 20% of the sheet (2/8)

DMI shows another uptick due to the precipitation in the south moving away.  Daily SMB loss increased to around 6Gt (3/8).

RunningChristo

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #240 on: August 04, 2014, 10:41:28 AM »
Current temp. at "Station Nord", not far off that Flade Blink glacier cap, stands at +9 C; pretty hot up there lately. I figure most of the landfast ice and fjordice doesn't stand much of a chance surviving this summer. A summer much warmer than usual for Greenland in general!

http://www.dmi.dk/groenland/maalinger/vejret-lige-nu/
My fancy for ice & glaciers started in 1995:-).

RaenorShine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 05, 2014, 09:51:28 AM »
NSIDC melt area increased on 3/8 to a bit over 20%. Melt is mainly in the north.

DMI shows a similar pattern, with significant melt continuing in the north, but lessening slightly in the south and west. Daily SMB loss slipped back to around 5Gt (4/8).

RaenorShine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 06, 2014, 11:33:31 AM »
NSIDC melt area fell to 15% on 4/8, the lowest since early June.

DMI shows a very similar pattern to yesterday. Daily SMB loss was almost unchanged at 5Gt (5/8).

As we head further into August melt usually slows down, and that seems to be what we are seeing this year, apart from in the far north.

RaenorShine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 07, 2014, 02:35:59 PM »
NSIDC shows another small fall in melt area on 5/8, to under 15%.

DMI shows melt decreasing around most of Greenland. Net daily SMB loss fell to just over 4Gt.

RaenorShine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 08, 2014, 04:35:47 PM »
NSIDC has a slight uptick , but melt area is still around 15%.

DMI is still very quiet. Daily SMB loss fell to 3.5Gt.

Rubikscube

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #245 on: August 08, 2014, 07:59:25 PM »
Picked up some spectacular forecasting from climate reanalyzer. GFS clearly wants it to rain over southwestern GIS on Sunday, but can this forecast possibly go through?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 08:05:49 PM by Rubikscube »

RaenorShine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 09, 2014, 07:01:17 PM »
NSIDC melt area continues to fall over the past couple of days to around 10% of the sheet (8/8).

DMI continued the downward trend also, with daily SMB melt loss falling to 3Gt (8/8)

RaenorShine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 10, 2014, 09:43:26 AM »
DMI shows significantly increased melt at lower levels in the west, which looks to be associated with the leading edge of the precipitation event rubikscube mentioned a couple of days ago. In terms of SMB, the melt at lower levels is offset by the precipitation at higher levels, leaving the net SMB at 3Gt.

RaenorShine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 11, 2014, 12:18:50 PM »
NSIDC shows a slight increase in melt area to just over 10% (9/8)

DMI shows more melt again, but a lot more precipitation. Daily SMB model shows no overall change, or even a slight gain (10/8).

RaenorShine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 12, 2014, 10:28:38 AM »
NSIDC shows a large increase in melt area in the south. Melt area now amounts to  around 25% of the total sheet (10/8).

DMI shows the precipitation moving north on 11/8, and coving far less area.  Daily SMB loss returned to 2Gt.