Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Marginal Ice Zone (MIZ) project in the Beaufort Sea.  (Read 12580 times)

Clare

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 1
Marginal Ice Zone (MIZ) project in the Beaufort Sea.
« on: July 30, 2014, 08:58:39 PM »
I apologise if this is covered elsewhere on the Forum.
I thought this was pretty neat & will likely give some amazingly detailed info about sea ice I always marvel at these 'clever 'sensors & profilers & how they busily work away trawling up & down while the scientists can sit in the office with a cuppa waiting for the data to get fed back to them as the satellite passes.......easily amused I am!

This video explains it well (if I've managed to insert the link correctly!):

http://www.washington.edu/news/2014/07/16/tracking-the-breakup-of-arctic-summer-sea-ice/

http://www.washington.edu/news/2014/07/29/huge-waves-measured-for-first-time-in-arctic-ocean/

There is quite some lineup of researchers involved here!
http://www.apl.washington.edu/project/project.php?id=miz

---
edit Neven: changed the Youtube link, should show up now

hmmm, changed it again, should show up now
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 09:07:11 PM by Neven »

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
Re: Marginal Ice Zone (MIZ) project in the Beaufort Sea.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 10:01:15 PM »
An interesting topic Clare! See also:

http://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,327.msg29516.html#msg29516 et seq.

Note that in cluster 3 ITP 78 bit the dust (metaphorically speaking) a while ago, and IMB 4 doesn't look long for this world. I'm also very curious about the apparent bottom growth on the other two IMB buoys.

I've been pestering the British Antarctic Survey for more information, but no joy so far. I will now make sure to try once again!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:34:06 PM by Jim Hunt »
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 11:48:19 PM »
Very awesome video. There's a lot of interesting stuff going on with drones and robots making measurements.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 05:03:18 PM »
It seems the British Antarctic Survey team are very busy researching sea ice, but I have received this information back from the Office of Naval Research:

The marginal ice zone project scientists are focused on the field experiment. There are two groups currently in the field, one group at Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, the other aboard the Korean research vessel 'Araon'.  The priority is to make high quality measurements and develop the best possible data sets. More data will be made available on the Web site when there is time to do that. In the meantime, the links to instruments and data sets that are on the Web site take the reader to very up-to-date data.

Here's one example of what is currently available:

"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

greatdying2

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 08:08:35 PM »
Why on earth is the ice thickening, apparently from below, despite apparently warm water temps (as well as >0 surface temps)??

http://www.apl.washington.edu/project/project.php?id=miz
The Permian–Triassic extinction event, a.k.a. the Great Dying, occurred about 250 million years ago and is the most severe known extinction event. Up to 96% of all marine species and 70% of terrestrial vertebrate species became extinct; it is also the only known mass extinction of insects.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 10:47:44 PM »
Why on earth is the ice thickening, apparently from below, despite apparently warm water temps (as well as >0 surface temps)??

I asked the BAS that precise question, but no response as yet.

It might be a "false bottom" caused by melt water, but without further info from the BAS I'm not sure how their IMB buoys work. It looks a bit too "regular" for that though. If the IMB's "floating" in it's hole in a melt pond that might (just about!) explain it.

I'll see if I can dig out some evidence from last summer tomorrow.

greatdying2

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 03:13:45 AM »
Right on. It will be interesting to hear any answer.
The Permian–Triassic extinction event, a.k.a. the Great Dying, occurred about 250 million years ago and is the most severe known extinction event. Up to 96% of all marine species and 70% of terrestrial vertebrate species became extinct; it is also the only known mass extinction of insects.

Patrick

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 05:32:01 PM »
Interestingly buoy 2013F has shown a similar behaviour during the last few days. Although it might just be a spike as the last dots are trending back up...

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 11:53:45 PM »
Interestingly buoy 2013F has shown a similar behaviour during the last few days.

See also this conversation from last year concerning IMB buoy 2013B. The temperatures profiles are below. Take a close look at what happens to 2013B in the second half of August.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 12:00:28 AM by Jim Hunt »

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 10:50:57 AM »
Some clear skies over the Beaufort Sea reveal the positions of the MIZ Program buoy clusters in amongst the fragmenting sea ice:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/resources/ice-mass-balance-buoys/summer-2014-imbs/#MIZ

Anne

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 2

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 07:34:05 PM »
Nice coverage of the MIZ project in a recent Economist.

I wasn't overly impressed Anne. I masquerade as "SoulSurfer" over there:

http://www.economist.com/node/21611046/comments#comments

I suggested that they should take a good look at this very thread!

Anne

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 08:45:48 PM »
Fair enough, Jim - I never thought the article would add to the sum of knowledge here! Rather I was interested that it was published at all, given the commitment of The Economist's readership to BAU. It seemed indicative of a softening of editorial attitude, albeit too little too late. But that's probably a topic for another thread on another part of the forum.  :)

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 09:40:18 PM »
But that's probably a topic for another thread on another part of the forum.  :)

See also: http://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,105.msg1504.html#msg1504 !

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 01:13:36 PM »
In related news from over on the Great White Con thread, the surf is up at Barrow:

What's more a pulse of swell is heading straight for the MIZ even as we speak:

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2014, 05:02:34 PM »
Here's the state of the publicly available MIZ buoys on August 18th 2014. BAS IMB buoy #9 seems to have run out of ice entirely, and #4 doesn't seem to have a whole lot left either!