Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The 'We Are Fixing This' Illusion  (Read 2279 times)

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
The 'We Are Fixing This' Illusion
« on: September 27, 2014, 05:32:35 PM »
Since the 1970s, governments across the globe have so–called environmental ministries and agencies, some of them even using the word 'climate' in later years. As a young environmentalist in my teens, I believed these were doing everything in their powers to cut emissions and help keep the planet a nice and clean place for my species and everone else.

I can still recall that feeling. It is a very comfortable and safe feeling, but is of course yet another illusion, being kept alive because new teens are added to the population all the time, and because the illusion is so comfortable.

Growing up, you start to understand that these agencies and ministries are in fact the ones allowing all the pollution and the hazardous experiments with our only planetary home. You start to understand that thousands of species are going extinct every day, not in spite of these ministries and agencies, but because of them. Because of the ordinary working days at these offices. This is what they do.

So here we go, putting our faith in these very agencies that are causing the problem. Instead of opposing them rigorously.

We think — to put it in plain text — that they're fixing it because they are constantly talking about it. They're not.
[]