Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The 2015 melting season  (Read 2323982 times)

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
Re: The 2015 melting season
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2015, 10:37:35 AM »

Here's a comparison with previous years (mind you, April 19th):

2013 had the Goat's Head near the pole, but other than that this year looks different. Ice in the Beaufort doesn't look all that homogeneous either, but I believe someone had already remarked on that last week.

Some additional relevant information. After getting Wipneus' able assistance in order to do the job ourselves, I ultimately persuaded DMI to put their 30% extent metric online on February 9th 2015 (that date is important!):

ftp://ftp.dmi.dk/nh_seaice_extent_30percent/icecover_running.txt

Their data distinguishes 1st year / multi-year / ambiguous / total / unclassified ice. Note that DMI also made their >80N temperature records available.
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2015, 10:41:07 AM »
A tip is to simply include this file in your scripts if you only need the latest daily value. As you can see, it also has Antarctic sea ice extent.

See also:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/resources/antarctic-sea-ice-graphs/

Not fully "scripted" as yet, and so currently slightly out of date.
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2015, 12:47:22 PM »
Their data distinguishes 1st year / multi-year / ambiguous / total / unclassified ice. Note that DMI also made their >80N temperature records available.

Is there a graph or map that displays the data in the txt file?
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

crandles

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 81

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2015, 01:30:17 PM »
I was referring to the DMI stuff Jim mentioned.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Sleepy

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2015, 04:30:35 PM »
Neven, is it this one you're looking for?
http://osisaf.met.no/p/ice/

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2015, 05:42:34 PM »
Yeah, I thought about that one, could be it.

I'm just asking because I want to update the ASIG before the next melting season starts, as quite a few graphs have disappeared. Mostly made by commenters, not that many official ones.

Edit: I just remembered those OSISAF maps can't be hotlinked, because there's a new one every day.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 05:52:27 PM by Neven »
The enemy is within

E. Smith

cats

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2015, 06:55:02 PM »
Although not a graph, I finally found the CRREL IMB page here - http://imb.erdc.dren.mil/newdata.htm   

anotheramethyst

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2015, 09:07:19 PM »
neven, since you mentioned the asig page, i just wanted to let u know, i always access it from my iphone, n all winter the left column of graphs has been cut off.  im not sure if it's a compatibility issue with one of the iphone upgrades or a problem with the page itself.  i know u have some incredible tech people who frequent this site, so i thought i'd mention it.  i'd hate to miss out on some excellent graphs during the melt season!! best of luck, and thanks for all the hard work!

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2015, 10:09:53 PM »
neven, since you mentioned the asig page, i just wanted to let u know, i always access it from my iphone, n all winter the left column of graphs has been cut off.  im not sure if it's a compatibility issue with one of the iphone upgrades or a problem with the page itself.  i know u have some incredible tech people who frequent this site, so i thought i'd mention it.  i'd hate to miss out on some excellent graphs during the melt season!! best of luck, and thanks for all the hard work!

That's right, anotheramethyst, the ASI Graphs page has horizontal scroll deprecated, so even on a laptop if you narrow your browser window, you'll only see 2 of the 3 columns of charts, with no scrollbar — or scrolling/swipe — option.

Note: If this is a design choice to make the page more visually appealing, the same thing could probably be accomplished with this code (right after <body>) without stopping horizontal scroll:

Code: [Select]
<style type="text/css">
  html {overflow-x: hidden;}
  html {overflow-y: hidden;}
</style>
[]

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2015, 10:51:22 PM »
Thanks for letting me know, guys. I'll see what I can do, but I'm not sure how much is possible, given that it's a Google site thing.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2015, 05:52:36 AM »
I guess when n>25 and a majority of those n days experience net ice melt1 @IJIS, we are officially in the melt season? So far we have 5 out of 13.

I have a question to the skilled people and learned elders of this thread. I'm not sticking my head out, so please put your axes back in the shed. Instead I say *IF* we had a sea ice extent maximum on February 15th, and *AS* this year's January and February combined have seen the slowest refreeze in IJIS history, plus we have the lowest March 1 extent on IJIS record, plus we've already had the first century (>100,000 km²) daily drop in mid–February: What brought this on? What forces are we dealing with this year? What is the condition of the ice? Why did the Nares Strait start running as early as January 1st? And not to forget: Where do you see this melt season going in terms of overall loss, meltponds, strait export and cyclones?

1 You know what I mean.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 06:42:02 AM by viddaloo »
[]

solartim27

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2015, 06:17:34 AM »
There's a lot of compaction going on. Its not all melting.
FNORD

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2015, 06:35:28 AM »
I guess when n>7 and a majority of those n days experience ice melt we are officially in the melt season? So far we have 5 out of 13.

Looks like n needs to be about 25, BTW, in order to automatically fix the start of the melt season without being fooled by the many ups and downs of this plateau. I'll go ahead and correct it above.
[]

Sleepy

« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2015, 07:04:32 AM »
I don't have too much to contribute regarding the future of the ice, but it's always nice with some music?

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2015, 10:01:09 AM »
Is there a graph or map that displays the data in the txt file?

There's no graph that I'm aware of that does a 1st year / multi-year breakdown. One of a number of things that haven't quite risen to the top of my ToDo list just yet I'm afraid.

By way of example, yesterday I was doing some equipment testing in advance of the 2015 Great White Con Arctic Basin Big Wave (Fantasy?) Surfing Contest (GWCABBWFSC for short):

LRC1962

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2015, 10:18:00 AM »
DMI has a major revision on there charts do to the fact they unmasked the sea coasts. I took a look at the Canadian forecasts. (western side has no Feb cast). In the areas they cover there is very little MYI. Almost all is FYI and grey ice except for Victoria straight along the coast. Open water seems to be where more MYI exists. That is if I am reading things right. Need to navigate around site to get info.
If that is the case there is almost nothing holding ice to any land on the Canadian side of the Arctic. Other then ice getting jammed up in the straights trying to move its in serious trouble once the sun comes out.
Note: @Jim and Neven. On the Canadian side. there are no graphs but there are txt monthly forecasts do a pretty go job a giving rough percentages of grey, FYI 2nd yr and multi-yr in very defined areas. As these are for shipping purposes it would be based on direct observation rather then satellite. As we all know though even that can change as soon as you print it. Do not know if there are other sites that do a similar job.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 10:28:02 AM by LRC1962 »
"All truth passes through three stages: First, it is ridiculed; Second,  it is violently opposed; and Third, it is accepted as self-evident."
       - Arthur Schopenhauer

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2015, 10:58:41 AM »
Thanks for letting me know, guys. I'll see what I can do, but I'm not sure how much is possible, given that it's a Google site thing.

Okay, so I was able to try something on the Webcams page, by adding <div style="width:1250px;overflow:scroll">.

Looks good in preview. As soon as my browser window isn't wide enough, the horizontal scroll bar shows up on the bottom. But when I save this set-up in Google Sites editor, the horizontal scroll bar is there, but in light grey, and doesn't show up when I narrow the browser window.

Can anotheramethyst or anyone else with a smartphone (I don't have one) tell me if they can view the Webcams page properly?
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Shared Humanity

« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2015, 05:25:20 PM »
I guess when n>25 and a majority of those n days experience net ice melt1 @IJIS, we are officially in the melt season? So far we have 5 out of 13.

I have a question to the skilled people and learned elders of this thread. I'm not sticking my head out, so please put your axes back in the shed. Instead I say *IF* we had a sea ice extent maximum on February 15th, and *AS* this year's January and February combined have seen the slowest refreeze in IJIS history, plus we have the lowest March 1 extent on IJIS record, plus we've already had the first century (>100,000 km²) daily drop in mid–February: What brought this on? What forces are we dealing with this year? What is the condition of the ice? Why did the Nares Strait start running as early as January 1st? And not to forget: Where do you see this melt season going in terms of overall loss, meltponds, strait export and cyclones?

1 You know what I mean.

I think it's because the North Pole has come down here and is hanging out in the eastern U.S.

Shared Humanity

« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2015, 05:32:56 PM »
All kidding aside but I do believe the cold pole has been hanging out over Greenland for most of the winter.  This has been allowing anomalous warmth in Alaska, the Bering and Kara Seas and compacting the MYI ice along the Canadian archipelago. It has driven warm lows into the Barents all winter and pushing ice in the Arctic basin towards the pole and away from Svalbard and Franz Josef. I also think it contributed to Nares transport.

Nightvid Cole

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2015, 09:50:56 PM »
A lot of recent years have appeared to reach the maximum extent, go down, and then go up again, with double or triple tops. I wouldn't get too excited yet...

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 650
  • Likes Given: 244
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2015, 10:34:44 PM »
An important image.

As we come to the end of the Arctic "refreeze" season, in order to understand the coming melt, I think it useful to consider our recent history (weather).  To do that, I think we should start by looking at the results of the most recent climatological winter - Dec 1 through Feb 28 - which as compared to the astronomical season Dec 21 - Mar 21, better captures the deepest cold of the year.

In the Arctic, this is the time of greatest heat transfer from the ocean to atmosphere, and by extention the period during which most of the ice is built.  During the past, thinking particularly of the end of the 20th century that we have records for it - 1979 through 1999 - we would see increases of about 9.5 million square kilometers.

(Jim Pettit graph 1 - annual seasonal sea ice loss, area and ending volume)
https://sites.google.com/site/pettitclimategraphs/sea-ice-area#asiaamlir

This is actually less than we gain typically now in the 21st century, which over the last few years has averaged close to 10.5 million KM2, with a high of 11.5 million KM2 in 2012.  However, previously, the refreeze was starting from a much higher value - and average of just under 8 million KM2 vs the more recent typical 4.5-5.0 million KM2.

(Jim Pettit graph 2 - Arctic seasonal sea ice extent, decadally averaged)
https://sites.google.com/site/pettitclimategraphs/sea-ice-extent#asieds

The ice appearing and how much of it returns is a function of heat loss first convectively from the ocean surface, and conductively, through the ice first formed during the initial freeze.  Without going too deeply into the mechanics, the rule of thumb I've seen both calculated and published is that for each degree celsius air temperature is below freezing (-1.8C for seawater), in the Arctic, you will develop and maintain approximately 10CM of ice.  In the past, this meant during the winter, you'd end up with between 2.5 and 3 meters of ice forming to reestablish the pack.  Development of additional thickness required mechanical ridging.

Recently, with warmer temperatures during the winter, and more complete melt out of ice, the average thickness of the pack has declined considerably.

https://nsidc.org/sites/nsidc.org/files/images//kwok_rothrock.gif
(Kwok, R., and D.A. Rothrock. 2009. Decline in Arctic sea ice thickness from submarine and ICESat records: 1958-2008. Geophysical Research Letters 36: L15501.- complete article link http://dx.doi.org/10.1029/2009GL039035 )

What this is generally illustrative of can be summarized thus:

The net seasonal energy budget in the Arctic has not dramatically changed over the last 50 years (less than 10%). Approximately the same amount of energy entered the system to melt the ice established during the refreeze.

The net enthalpy of the system over time, as reflected in the decreasing maximum sea ice volume and area, has INCREASED dramatically.

There are a lot of factors feeding into this over time, which I'm not going to explore particularly here, but here's my take aways from the temperature anomalie drawing.

Next summer will be very perilous for the Arctic.  Considering the 90 day anomalies shown, most of the arctic likely has ice which is between 50 and 80CM *thinner* than was typical, and likely 10s of CM thinner even than most recent years.  Some Navy HYCOM estimates as illustration:

http://www7320.nrlssc.navy.mil/hycomARC/navo/arcticictn/nowcast/ictn2015030218_2015030300_040_arcticictn.001.gif
(current)

http://www7320.nrlssc.navy.mil/hycomARC/navo/arcticictn/nowcast/ictn2014030118_2014030200_038_arcticictn.001.gif
(March 2014)

My base prediction right now is this:  Given average conditions, 2015 melt season will almost certainly be among the three lowest in modern times, and I give it a greater than 50% chance of breaking the 2012 record.

So my initial SWAG predictions for 2015 Minimums

Extent    - 3.5 million KM2 +/- .5 Million      (2012 - 3.178 million KM2)
Area     - 2.75 million KM2 +/- .75 million  (2012 - 2.23 million KM2)
Volume      - 3500KM3 +/- 500KM3                (2012 - 3261 KM3)
This space for Rent.

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2015, 12:37:41 AM »
Extra: if we have a nasty melt year like 2012, it could blow away my low numbers, possibly all the way down to 2.25 million KM2 extent....
This space for Rent.

Siffy

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2015, 01:29:21 AM »
Extra: if we have a nasty melt year like 2012, it could blow away my low numbers, possibly all the way down to 2.25 million KM2 extent....
is there a Hycom map for the same period in 2012?

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2015, 01:49:25 AM »
Here you go:

http://www7320.nrlssc.navy.mil/hycomARC/navo/arcticictn/nowcast/ictn2012030218_2012030300_035_arcticictn.001.gif

Archive can be found here:
http://www7320.nrlssc.navy.mil/hycomARC/navo/arc_list_arcticictn.html
This space for Rent.

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2015, 05:47:27 AM »
2% of max IJIS extent gone already.

[]

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2015, 08:26:57 AM »
I'm betting a 1 million km2 head–start is much more decisive than, say, a meter thinner ice in the CAB. Just an amateur hunch.

We'll soon see the true meaning of self–reinforcing feedback.
[]

S.Pansa

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 45
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2015, 08:38:46 AM »
Just wanted to add another illustration to jdallen's great post.

Below is the take of version 2 (?) oft the Hycom + Cice model (I think it is still experimental), which is supposed to improve the accuracy of ice thikness, if I remember corretly.

The differences between 2014 and 2015--unfortunatley the archive does not got back to 2012--are qute staggering here as well. If this is anything to go by, the 2015 melting season could be quite spectacular (or depressing, depending on how you want to look at it)

(I think you have to click to animate the picture)

DavidR

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 36
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2015, 09:10:23 AM »
Just wanted to add another illustration to jdallen's great post.

Below is the take of version 2 (?) oft the Hycom + Cice model (I think it is still experimental), which is supposed to improve the accuracy of ice thikness, if I remember corretly.

The differences between 2014 and 2015--unfortunatley the archive does not got back to 2012--are qute staggering here as well. If this is anything to go by, the 2015 melting season could be quite spectacular (or depressing, depending on how you want to look at it)

Eyeballing those two images suggests an average reduction of thickness of around 25cm across the entire icepack. If that is correct PIOMAS should be down about 3,000 km^3 from last year.   
Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2015, 10:20:12 AM »
Below is the take of GOFS of the Hycom + Cice model (I think it is still experimental), which is supposed to improve the accuracy of ice thikness, if I remember corretly.

Firstly a reminder that you can quickly compare old and new ACNFS/HYCOM/GOFS at:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/resources/arctic-sea-ice-graphs/#ACNFSThick

Secondly an explanation of the differences:

https://groups.google.com/a/hycom.org/forum/#!topic/forum/Rqa_ao0bGQE

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2015, 04:50:20 PM »
Below is the take of GOFS of the Hycom + Cice model (I think it is still experimental), which is supposed to improve the accuracy of ice thikness, if I remember corretly.

Firstly a reminder that you can quickly compare old and new ACNFS/HYCOM/GOFS at:

Thank you Jim, wish I'd known about that resource earlier!  ;)
This space for Rent.

Siffy

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2015, 05:23:52 PM »
Here you go:

http://www7320.nrlssc.navy.mil/hycomARC/navo/arcticictn/nowcast/ictn2012030218_2012030300_035_arcticictn.001.gif

Archive can be found here:
http://www7320.nrlssc.navy.mil/hycomARC/navo/arc_list_arcticictn.html

Much appreciated.

Wipneus

• Citizen scientist
  • Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctische Pinguin
  • Liked: 1025
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2015, 06:36:14 PM »
The new ice monitor appears to have a new feature : sea ice thickness derived from AMSR2. With as an extra bonus ice melting fraction as well.

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2015, 12:10:27 AM »
The new ice monitor appears to have a new feature : sea ice thickness derived from AMSR2. With as an extra bonus ice melting fraction as well.

Great looking tool! Ugly looking thin ice. Thanks for finding the link.
This space for Rent.

Michael Hauber

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 168
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2015, 01:09:10 AM »
I'm betting a 1 million km2 head–start is much more decisive than, say, a meter thinner ice in the CAB. Just an amateur hunch.

We'll soon see the true meaning of self–reinforcing feedback.

My hunch is that a meter thinner ice in the CAB would result in near complete melt out of the Arctic - much of it starts at around 2 meters so knocking a meter of is huge.

I also expect the amount of ice at this time of year in peripheral seas are barely connected to the Arctic is largely irrelevant.
Climate change:  Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, expect the middle.

Michael Hauber

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 168
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2015, 01:13:53 AM »
The storm forecast by GFS for the far north Atlantic looks somewhat spectacular, and I'm guessing it to be the second biggest storm I've seen after the 2012 event.  I'm guessing it may have a significant impact on the Barents sea region.  Even if the effect is not visible from above I'd expect significant divergence to make lots of gaps between the thicker ice that will be filled with very thin ice, and that Ekman pumping of subsurface waters will result in the thick bits being thinner as well - either some bottom melt, or a slow down on the freeze that would otherwise be happening.

And a few days of very strong wind from Laptev towards Canada might temporarily open up some open water along the coast for as long as it blows, and push the thinner first year ice further past the north pole.
Climate change:  Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, expect the middle.

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2015, 01:25:50 AM »
The storm forecast by GFS for the far north Atlantic looks somewhat spectacular, and I'm guessing it to be the second biggest storm I've seen after the 2012 event.  I'm guessing it may have a significant impact on the Barents sea region.  Even if the effect is not visible from above I'd expect significant divergence to make lots of gaps between the thicker ice that will be filled with very thin ice, and that Ekman pumping of subsurface waters will result in the thick bits being thinner as well - either some bottom melt, or a slow down on the freeze that would otherwise be happening.

And a few days of very strong wind from Laptev towards Canada might temporarily open up some open water along the coast for as long as it blows, and push the thinner first year ice further past the north pole.
That fits with climate Reanalyzer. They use GFS maybe? Or are the services in agreement?
This space for Rent.

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2015, 09:36:59 AM »

I had trouble finding that map from the Image Select on the ice monitor, so for everyone else with similar problems, here's the direct link to this map. Just adjust the date numbers for each day:

Code: [Select]
https://ads.nipr.ac.jp/vishop/data/201503/AM2SI20150304D_SIT_NP.png
[]

BornFromTheVoid

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 679
  • Likes Given: 299
« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2015, 10:13:06 AM »
Alternatively...

I recently joined the twitter thing, where I post more analysis, pics and animations: @Icy_Samuel

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2015, 10:40:34 AM »
Alternatively...
Ah, thank you!  ;D

The English desktop version has radio buttons (4 buttons) and not a pulldown menu, so that's simply not an option there. The solution is to switch to Japanese(!) and choose the middle strange Japanese word from the pulldown, or use a mobile device, which also displays a pulldown.

Edit: Actually, it was a cache issue and my browser had cached the old version of the ice monitor. So now I'm fine, even on my desktop and in the English language section, which is a huge relief, as my Japanese leaves very much to be desired!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 12:12:57 PM by viddaloo »
[]

andy_t_roo

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 05, 2015, 10:42:50 AM »

Has anyone integrated the implied thickness by pixel area to get volume?

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2015, 12:10:20 PM »
That fits with climate Reanalyzer. They use GFS maybe? Or are the services in agreement?

Climate Reanalyzer is indeed repackaged GFS. For another example see the excellent MeteoCiel, which covers lots of other bases also, especially if you're European!

http://meteociel.fr/modehttp://meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=6&code=code&mode=0&mode3h=les/gfse_cartes.php?ech=6&code=code&mode=0&mode3h=0&runpara=0&carte=1

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2015, 01:00:51 PM »
Has anyone integrated the implied thickness by pixel area to get volume?

That would be absolute Gold! Daily volume from sats instead of the 40–day wait for PIOMAS.

PS: I don't even know where to begin to program such a tool. Can PHP do this?
[]

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2015, 02:32:55 PM »
That ADS monitor is not working for me at all. In Firefox I just get plain text with a couple of grey buttons. In Chrome I only get to see part of all the options. Anyone have a tip?
The enemy is within

E. Smith

S.Pansa

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2015, 03:01:10 PM »
Hi Neven,

I had the same issues. Do you use an Adblocker like Adblock+?
I do and dissabeling it on the site did the trick for me

S.Pansa

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2015, 03:02:29 PM »

Thanks Jim, great ressource you have there!

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2015, 03:28:41 PM »
Your trick with Adblock works very well, thanks.

Sleepy

« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2015, 03:57:57 PM »
That ADS monitor is not working for me at all. In Firefox I just get plain text with a couple of grey buttons. In Chrome I only get to see part of all the options. Anyone have a tip?

On IE11 I had to flip the popup-blocker off/on, once...
But why don't you use the rightly named browsers for this forum?
IceWeasel, or IceCat if your'e using Linux!  ;D

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2015, 04:33:54 PM »

Climate Reanalyzer is indeed repackaged GFS. For another example see the excellent MeteoCiel, which covers lots of other bases also, especially if you're European!

http://meteociel.fr/modehttp://meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=6&code=code&mode=0&mode3h=les/gfse_cartes.php?ech=6&code=code&mode=0&mode3h=0&runpara=0&carte=1

They are predicting central pressures below 950 for that storm?  Day-Um!
This space for Rent.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #99 on: March 05, 2015, 09:09:26 PM »
Hi Neven,

I had the same issues. Do you use an Adblocker like Adblock+?
I do and dissabeling it on the site did the trick for me

Thanks, Sancho! That did the trick!

On IE11 I had to flip the popup-blocker off/on, once...
But why don't you use the rightly named browsers for this forum?
IceWeasel, or IceCat if your'e using Linux!  ;D

Unfortunately I'm bound to Windows because my software for work runs on it. I contemplated moving to Mac OS, but then I would have to tweak all kinds of hardware stuff. I dabbled with Linux a few years ago, but I just don't have the time for the learning curve, with working, building, blogging and keeping an eye on this forum here.  ;D
The enemy is within

E. Smith