Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Show The Love?  (Read 3197 times)

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
Show The Love?
« on: February 15, 2015, 04:37:06 PM »
Over here in the once Great Britain a massive marketing campaign began on February 14th. Saint Valentine's Day.

Here's the introductory video, featuring a variety of famous faces from Stephen Fry to Jarvis Cocker:

As regular readers here on the ASIF will have realised by now, I am something of an old cynic when it comes to hot air emitted by our glorious leaders. Here is my initial response:

http://www.v2g.co.uk/2015/02/catherine-mitchell-meets-exeter-community-energy/

Channeling IPCC lead author Professor Catherine Mitchell:
We as individuals and communities in civil society have to do all we can to get our politicians, neighbours, businesses, energy suppliers and so on to take climate change seriously. Climate and energy policy must take note of the IPCC warning and act now.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 07:42:00 PM by Jim Hunt »
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Show The Love?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 04:43:52 PM »
Oh, yeah. Distractions. Instead of the torture you see in the '1984' movie versions of Orwell's spot–on novel, we get distractions and, well, 'love', 24/7. My personal attitude towards the Feb14 love meme is that I refuse to let US corporate power dictate my private life.
[]

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 07:41:37 PM »
I refuse to let US corporate power dictate my private life.

Did you get the message that the idea is to "show the love" for what you might lose due to climate change? Here's our glorious Great British leaders signing a pledge to sort out the current mess:

I'm afraid I'm less than impressed:

http://www.V2G.co.uk/2015/02/an-open-letter-to-david-cameron-and-ed-davey/

Channeling Professor Kevin Anderson:

I understand the enormous political difficulties for European heads of state in developing a transparent and evidence-based mitigation agenda. However, the reasons for today’s climate dilemma reside in our prolonged abject failure to set in train an effective programme of mitigation. A quarter of a century on from the IPCC’s first report, the carbon intensity of a typical EU citizen’s lifestyle remains unchanged. I urge you to resist the vested interests calling for continued inaction and instead drive for an ambitious policy framework “consistent with science” and developed on “the basis of equity”. Ultimately, this will be the legacy we bequeath to future generations.

"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 12:26:00 AM »
Yeah, I totally agree with you, Jim. I find their choice of Valentine's as the start date and their whole 'Love' approach to be appalling, insincere, populistic and, well, Orwellian. (I don't like Valentine's Day lovemongering either, nor do I like the way artists (to make a living) OK these campaigns.)
[]

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 12:35:29 AM »
We can only speculate what their game–plan is for this whole Paris Climate bru–ha–ha. About the only things we can be sure about are A) that they will be insufficient and insincere, and B) that they will spend huge amounts of money and media time on trying to appear to be responsible leaders.
[]