Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Solar cycle generator?  (Read 2751 times)

Pmt111500

Solar cycle generator?
« on: February 17, 2015, 04:21:26 AM »
I'll put this in here since I'm very much not too sure it should go anywhere else (checking these sorts of mathematical constructs is above my skills) : https://quantpalaeo.wordpress.com/2015/02/13/have-ludecke-et-al-made-a-solar-cycle-generator/

ah, this apparently is supposed to be an extraction of DeVries cycle that is really difficult to separate from volcanic effects. And how would the cosmogenic isotopes effect the amount of ghg's? are they really sure it's not solely from volcanic effects?

where to get the stalagmite data from which this is supposedly derived? is it behind a paywall?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 06:00:30 AM by Pmt111500 »

andy_t_roo

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Solar cycle generator?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 10:08:28 PM »
That blog post is on how the linked article does not find a true signal, basically they use a process that amounts to removing high frequency information, removing low frequency information, then looking for a middle frequency signal.

The blog post points out that applying this process will produce a 'result' when asked to any input by generation pure noise, applying the process as described in the paper, then showing that the signal is now present.

Finally, the DeVries cycle is a mostly theoretical solar cycle of length 210 years, and I'm not sure what you are saying with your second paragraph.

Pmt111500

Re: Solar cycle generator?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 06:57:25 AM »

Finally, the DeVries cycle is a mostly theoretical solar cycle of length 210 years, and I'm not sure what you are saying with your second paragraph.

yep, not sure I know what I was trying to say either... google image search on 'deVries cycle' produces links mostly to the denier sites so I used that to evaluate the scientific validity of it... but I did ask where to find the data. and yes I'll admit there is the Maunder minimum, but not too sure of the Spörer one, could be the observational record is too patchy there.