Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The 2015 Economist Arctic Summit  (Read 3800 times)

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
The 2015 Economist Arctic Summit
« on: March 11, 2015, 01:35:46 PM »
Two years ago I actually went to the Hotel Bristol in Oslo to attend the 2013 event and recorded the event for posterity on my GoPro surf camera. This year the 2015 Economist Arctic Summit takes place on March 12th (i.e. tomorrow) and I can watch the from the comfort of my own desk by signing up to view the live feed via:

http://live.wavecast.co/arctic-summit/

Two years ago there were a number of scientists who addressed the assembled multitude, but this year the only famous name is Jason Box, who is a research professor in Glaciology at the Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland. Jason's presentation is at 12:20 CET, and is entitled "When Climate Change Will Force You to Re-evaluate - A Warning":

Last September saw the largest climate change protests with 310,000 marchers in New York alone and 2,700 simultaneous climate events across the globe. US secretary of state, John Kerry, escalated the threat of climate change to the top of the agenda alongside the fight against Isis and Ebola.

Annual carbon emissions rose by 2.5% in 2014 and the World Bank predicts a rise of 4C by 2100 which translates into apocalyptic weather scenarios. But that’s not all. As the Arctic sea ice and permafrost melt, scientists have discovered increased levels of methane gas surfacing and entering the atmosphere. Methane is more than 20 times more potent than CO2 in trapping infrared as part of the natural greenhouse effect. This discussion explores what needs to happen for businesses and governments to take climate change seriously before it gets too late.
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
Re: The 2015 Economist Arctic Summit
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 10:46:02 AM »
After some initial teething troubles the live feed from Oslo is up and running now.

For those who are so inclined the proceedings can also be followed on Twitter at:

#EconArctic
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 01:39:26 PM »
I listened to Jason Box's presentation with much interest. Here's my edited highlights:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/2015/03/some-statistics-for-the-2015-economist-arctic-summit/

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 07:41:57 PM »
A recording of Prof. Jason Box's presentation is now available at:

http://live.wavecast.co/arctic-summit/session/climate-change-presentation-when-climate-change-will-force-you-to-re-evaluate-a-warning/

How many of the attendees do you suppose were listening?

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 10:36:28 PM »
Thanks for this, Jim. Box does an excellent job.

Minor quibble: at 5:28 he uses a Wipneus graph (unfortunately the exponential graph without 2014), but below it it says arctic-news, which I surmise is the blog that announces an ice-free Arctic every year (so that they can geo-engineer the MF).
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 11:02:35 PM »
I'll see if I can set him straight about that Neven.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 11:56:04 AM »
An eyewitness account of the conference from Peter Sinclair:

http://climatecrocks.com/2015/03/16/a-tale-of-two-arctics/