Please support this Forum and Neven's Blog

Author Topic: Latest PIOMAS update (March)  (Read 385063 times)

jai mitchell

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
Re: Latest PIOMAS update (March)
« Reply #1500 on: March 17, 2017, 05:16:13 PM »
the graphs need to be normalized to current total volume, as a percent of total volume, not absolute numbers.  otherwise they give a false indicator.
Haiku of Past Futures
My "burning embers"
are not tri-color bar graphs
+3C today

magnamentis

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
    • Nexpaq Modular ARA iOS Software Mobile Computing Phones Philosophy Ethics Numerology Mikrocirkulation Vaskular Therapie Gesundheit Blut Gesundheit Schmerzen Multipelsklerose Diabetes Immunsystem Fibromyalgie
« Reply #1501 on: March 17, 2017, 05:41:59 PM »
the graphs need to be normalized to current total volume, as a percent of total volume, not absolute numbers.  otherwise they give a false indicator.

absolutely, very much self evident but can easily be overseen, 50% of volume exported of 25% of volume left is double the loss or something like that LOL

thanks for hinting
http://magnamentis.com
Knowledge, Understanding & Insight Are Among The Best Sources For Personal Freedom & Vitality !

FishOutofWater

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: March 17, 2017, 05:45:30 PM »
Irregularly updated: the monthly Fram export graphs. The low volume numbers of late do not seem to be caused by higher than usual Fram exports.

Since these graphs are based on average monthly thickness and velocity numbers, I have some doubts about their validity. Daily numbers are available now, at some time I intend to uses these.

Just, wow, Wip. Fall 2016 through now shows a very delayed Fram export curve.  However, the Arctic Oscillation has been cyclonic, favoring export. That leads me to conclude, based also on observations of it happening, that ice melted out before it ever got to the Fram. It was exported as fresh water.

Tor Bejnar

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: March 17, 2017, 06:15:11 PM »
Remember: during most of the NH autumn and winter, much of the ice heading towards the Fram melted before it got there!
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things.

jai mitchell

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: March 18, 2017, 06:59:17 PM »
I like the export graphs though, really top notch and worth peer review in my book.  just saying that for a year on year predictive value it would be better to have it graphed as a percent of total current volume.  I believe that this would show this year being slightly higher than previous years.
Haiku of Past Futures
My "burning embers"
are not tri-color bar graphs
+3C today

Jim Hunt

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
« Reply #1505 on: March 18, 2017, 08:02:41 PM »
I believe that this would show this year being slightly higher than previous years.

This years numbers should be getting a boost:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/2017/03/facts-about-the-arctic-in-march-2017/#comment-219974
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

magnamentis

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
    • Nexpaq Modular ARA iOS Software Mobile Computing Phones Philosophy Ethics Numerology Mikrocirkulation Vaskular Therapie Gesundheit Blut Gesundheit Schmerzen Multipelsklerose Diabetes Immunsystem Fibromyalgie
« Reply #1506 on: March 19, 2017, 06:39:56 PM »
I like the export graphs though, really top notch and worth peer review in my book.  just saying that for a year on year predictive value it would be better to have it graphed as a percent of total current volume.  I believe that this would show this year being slightly higher than previous years.

significantly higher IMO but i understand that you wanted to stay careful LOL :D ;)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 04:32:15 PM by magnamentis »
http://magnamentis.com
Knowledge, Understanding & Insight Are Among The Best Sources For Personal Freedom & Vitality !

crandles

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: March 22, 2017, 04:14:56 PM »
Latest daily volume numbers file while official site is not providing it.

Edit. Sorry should have said nothing new in here, really just making available for PaulS at stoat's site who couldn't get at data from psc site and still seems to be unavailable from there.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 12:34:46 AM by crandles »

Jim Williams

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: March 22, 2017, 05:14:18 PM »
Same file cleaned up in Google Sheets and re-exported as CSV.  (It is a .CSV file, but I could not upload that type so I renamed it as txt.)  No idea what I am going to do with it now that I have it, but I figured it would be an easier format for many to deal with.

As an aside, I know it is an artifact of the decimal system and the units of measurement but the way vol under 10 showed up as a new column I had to clean up and then increased in size was striking.

Tigertown

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: March 22, 2017, 11:37:46 PM »
The last update is for Feb. 28th in this file, which we have already.

P.S. I would make an educated guess that PIOMAS  is around 20.5k km3 right now and currently dropping.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 12:03:42 AM by Tigertown »