Please support this Forum and Neven's Blog

Author Topic: Sverdrup Gletscher / Steenstrup Gletscher/ Kjer Gletscher / North West Greenland  (Read 13081 times)

DrTskoul

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
Breaking News
What was only a Nunatak (Nunataq) a few years ago is now a 7 km2 island of the coast of Kjer Gletscher, I decided to name it Trekanten in Danish (The Triangle) a more correct Greenland name wil be found, a lot of facts about this devellopment can be seen above in this thread:

Do you have the link for the previous picture ??
“You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world, but when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird... So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing -- that's what counts.”
― Richard P. Feynman

oren

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
So your forecast from last year proved correct. Another small chapter concluded on the GIS retreat story.
As to the shape of the new island, it seems to me that most of the triangle is old remains of the glacier? Just the left side is the actual island?

Espen

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
Breaking News
What was only a Nunatak (Nunataq) a few years ago is now a 7 km2 island of the coast of Kjer Gletscher, I decided to name it Trekanten in Danish (The Triangle) a more correct Greenland name wil be found, a lot of facts about this devellopment can be seen above in this thread:

Previous picture?
Have a ice day!

Espen

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
So your forecast from last year proved correct. Another small chapter concluded on the GIS retreat story.
As to the shape of the new island, it seems to me that most of the triangle is old remains of the glacier? Just the left side is the actual island?

The island may include other small islands now covered by ice/snow, but if it is one island or a group islands I think they will have the shape of a Triangle.
Have a ice day!

crandles

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile

See this thread reply #1, #3, 4, 5, 6, 12, 14, 15, 16, 18, 19, 22, 25, 26, 34, 40, 42, 45, 46, 47

How many do you want?

DrTskoul

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile

See this thread reply #1, #3, 4, 5, 6, 12, 14, 15, 16, 18, 19, 22, 25, 26, 34, 40, 42, 45, 46, 47

How many do you want?

:P. Smart aleck..  ;D I thought I was in a different thread with multiple hundreds of messages
“You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world, but when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird... So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing -- that's what counts.”
― Richard P. Feynman

TerryM

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
Damn good eye Espen, and I haven't thanked you for your daily charts for some time. Solid, and much appreciated work all around!

Terry

Espen

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
Thanks Terry

I really appreciate your comments, and I promise I will relatively soon present a much larger ice sheet released island.
Have a ice day!

TerryM

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
Thanks Terry

I really appreciate your comments, and I promise I will relatively soon present a much larger ice sheet released island.

Have you kept up with Flade Isblink over the years? I remember much discussion back in 2011 or 2012 on the blog, when Independence Fjord was breaking up for the first time. The "grooves" that may have matched up with the Ellesmere Shelves grooves still fascinate.
Far more research back then on my part. So many new and wondrous things to learn. Fast ice that had been in place for millennia, wrenched from the land on high tides.
Your spotting of the new Petermann ice island was a high water mark that we all took pride in.

Sorry for the rambling
Terry

Tealight

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
    • CryosphereComputing
Great spotting Espen!

To celebrate the occasion I add a full 10m resolution image in true colour of Trekanten.

All you need to do now is get a ship, sail to the island and plant your flag ;D