Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Moderation rules  (Read 4755 times)

DungeonMaster

• Administrator
  • Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 3
Moderation rules
« on: April 17, 2015, 01:14:11 AM »
Just in case the Mods would like to define and write rules of moderation... Can you please share any set of rules you'd know ?

Thanks !

Fred
This forum helps me to feel less uncomfortable about "doing something" about the melting Arctic and the warming world.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1337
  • Likes Given: 618
Re: Moderation rules
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 10:59:10 AM »
I don't have a set of strict rules, except perhaps for:

- Don't post denier memes or links to climate risk denier sites
- Don't spoil the atmosphere because you absolutely must be right

Extreme conflicts will be judged as they happen. Luckily everyone is very reasonable here, so things have never really gotten out of hand, in the sense that two persons or more go overboard.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 06:45:29 PM »
These are a good idea, it seems to me:

5.0 Moderator warnings:

5.1 Moderator warnings are to be respected. Members who choose not to acknowledge moderator warnings, or who show lack of respect for the moderators regarding their moderation duties and decisions, shall be banned for 2 weeks for Moderator Evasion.

For the purpose of the COC, moderators include administrators, moderators, and news editors.

5.2 Do not publicly accuse the moderators or administrators of bias, complain about moderation decisions, or post correspondence you receive from moderators and administrators. If you have an issue regarding moderation that needs to be addressed, please contact any moderator or website administrator by sending a private message to:

5.3 The staff of this site reserves the right at all times to permanently rescind the posting privileges of any member who, in the sole judgment of the staff, consistently exhibits a posting style that is not in keeping with the general spirit of the site; that appears calculated largely to sow discord among members, or otherwise draw attention away from material more consistent with the overall theme of the site.

(from POForums)
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

carmiac

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 08:18:48 PM »
I'm pretty much just a lurker here, but I really enjoy the conversations. I do have some suggestions, taken from other forums that manage to remain polite even when dealing with emotionally charged topics.

Some of the key points are:

1) Please leave list management up to the moderators and management, rather than trying to jump in and run things yourself.  If you have a problem or complaint about how the forum is run, or about the conduct of a member, the appropriate venue for it is a message to the moderators.

2) In order to keep this list a safe place for open discussion among our members, we ask all list members to behave with courtesy and civility toward others.  Snark, sarcasm, and excessive flippancy are not appropriate. 

3) Because of the diversity of this list, we ask that listmembers avoid stating their opinions as absolutes.  We also request that you not claim that you (or anyone else) have access to universal truth.

4)  Long screeds proclaiming the infallibility of some ideology or other, will be deleted; so will repeated attempts to hammer on a point already addressed; so will comments containing profanity, abusive language, flamebaiting and the like.

DungeonMaster

• Administrator
  • Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 07:55:36 AM »
Those are a good start, thanks. Other suggestions please ?
This forum helps me to feel less uncomfortable about "doing something" about the melting Arctic and the warming world.

johnm33

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 11:26:09 PM »
Don't hem youself in with rules, if anything you err on the side of patience and forbearence which is great. Your place your rules, very flexible.