Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Thanks for setting up the forum  (Read 47960 times)

ael

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
Thanks for setting up the forum
« on: February 20, 2013, 05:47:38 PM »
This forum could be very useful.

Thanks to management for setting it up.

idunno

• Frazil ice
  • wonders are many
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
Re: Thanks for setting up the forum
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 05:56:42 PM »
But can the average computer semi-literate actually learn to use this new interface?

Testing, testing...

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 08:22:12 PM »
But can the average computer semi-literate actually learn to use this new interface?

Yes, we can! You'll be used to it in no time (me too, I hope).

Thanks, ael. Let's see where we can take this.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Vergent

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 08:56:38 PM »
Neven,

Great job! This will be useful.

Vergent

ritter

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 08:58:16 PM »
Neven,

Thanks for setting this up. I've followed your blog for a year or so now and have always wanted to participate but was typepad inept! Excellent work and discussion by all of you from another interested (and slightly panicked) novice.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 09:34:40 PM »
Thanks, Vergent and Ritter!
The enemy is within

E. Smith

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 10:01:21 PM »
Neven

Thanks so much for the new forum!

You & Lodger have come up with a winner with this format & if I can get through the registration anyone can.

I did have a problem moments ago trying to post using quick reply - after posting it said I wasn't allowed in that area & I had to sign in again. I'm using the regular reply this time & don't expect trouble.

With Governments tightening control over what information is made available to the public (per Ardreas & with memories of the horrors faced by those that reported the drowning polar bears), sites such as this become ever more important. You've done more in providing awareness of the situation in the Arctic than any other person or group.

I discovered your Typepad site in January of 2011 & have missed reading it daily on very few occasions. The discussions have always been collegial, the insights offered profound and the subject of course is probably the most important one that any of us will face in our lifetime.

Terry

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 10:05:24 PM »
Thanks, Terry.

I actually realized the advantages of the forum format watching you and Vergent and Chris Biscan having at it on the American WX forum.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

mrayers

• New ice
  • Appreciate the Universe the way that it is.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 11:51:24 PM »
Thanks a lot for this, Neven.

I have been reading the forum for a year, or so, but never posted any comments, because I generally prefer a forum format.

I have been curious how the blog comments section has avoided the dregs of humanity that usually post comments on blogs (the comments there have been close to 100% great). Have you had to do much moderating of fossil-fuel-industry trolls, or other types of disinformation spreaders?

I would think that this forum might have a problem with that too, sooner or later. Do you have any plans to moderate it?

Also, will the ability to post attachments be turned on at some point? Never-mind, you answered this in another topic!

Cheers,
Mike
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:52:59 PM by mrayers »

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 12:12:45 AM »
Thanks, Mike.

I have been curious how the blog comments section has avoided the dregs of humanity that usually post comments on blogs (the comments there have been close to 100% great). Have you had to do much moderating of fossil-fuel-industry trolls, or other types of disinformation spreaders?

Not really. There is one guy who always does a concern troll routine when I write posts about fake skeptics (once or twice a year). Steven Mosher comes in every once in a while, but tends to behave. That's about it.

I guess it shows how annoying Arctic sea ice of for the fake skeptic position.

I would think that this forum might have a problem with that too, sooner or later. Do you have any plans to moderate it?

I will adapt as we go along. It'd be nice of 1 or 2 other persons would be willing to moderate at some point. But first we have to see how well the forum works.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

danp

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 12:21:06 AM »
This forum could be very useful.

Thanks to management for setting it up.

Seconded, thirded, etc ... plus the forum itself looks cleanly designed and easy to use even compared to those I'm used to frequenting. 

I had kind of accepted the difficulty of following all of the disparate threads on the sea ice blog and the panicked days of attempted catch-up when too busy to follow every post, so I imagine this will be a great improvement!

Vaughn

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 04:52:53 AM »
This is great.  I like the differentiation of topics, having multiple topics at once and the searchability of specific topics.  Looks like I will be spending even more time here.
Vaughn

silkman

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 58
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 08:41:22 AM »
Neven

Your blog has been essential early morning reading for me for some time and this new forum will give me the confidence to become a contributor. Your adoption of an open approach to climate science is a game changer and is adding real value to a debate previously held largely behind closed doors.

Thank you!

Silkman

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 10:34:48 AM »
Thanks, silkman, Vaughn and danp.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

greylib

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 184
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 12:15:49 PM »
Thanks for this.

A forum gives a much better way to revisit old topics than a blog does. Especially relevant here, with so many aspects, any of which can become current at any time. A crack in one of the Antarctic ice sheets might take years to develop, for instance.

[I was going to put in a pun here, about the topics moving at a glacial pace, but decided not to ;) ]

One thing is missing - a tip jar. I don't say much, but I listen a lot and I've learned a great deal from you all. Since I can't contribute much to the science, please let me contribute some cash in lieu. Neven, I know that you don't feel right about making a profit here, but I suspect that if you'd received fifty cents an hour for your time, you'd be fairly wealthy by now. You should be getting enough to cover the costs, plus enough left over to pacify your wife.

The work done on the blog is vital. I've no doubt that this forum will be even more so.

John
Step by step, moment by moment
We live through another day.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 12:32:41 PM »
Thanks, John. Next up on my to-do-list is improve the Graphs page and Blog layout, where I will add some sort of a donation button.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

RaenorShine

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 10:12:55 PM »
Thanks Neven for setting up the forum, and also for your work on the blog.

I've been a lurker since last summer and have learnt a lot from both the posts and all the comments, although a lot of the heavier science stuff still goes over my head!

This forum should make the discussions a lot easier to follow, and also allow for some interesting side topics (Greenland, Antartica etc) which are closely linked to develop in their own right rather than diverting from the main point of the blog.

I'm looking forward to the interesting (and scary) posts that are sure to follow in 2013. It already seems to have had a great start.

DaddyBFree

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 10:32:30 PM »
Thanks Neven, and everyone that contributes to this excellent hub of information!
B

Vaughn

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 07:13:17 AM »
Second the "Tip Jar." ;D
Vaughn

Matt

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 03:34:28 AM »
Agree with all posts above! ;D
Thanks Neven for setting up the forum. I have been reading the Blog for the past year, but have have virtually no luck getting a login or posting comments!
This new forum is great for letting us, less science minded people comment in areas closer to our fields of expertise  :P
I am forever endebted to the wonderful contributions in the sea ice blog for teaching me so much about not just the arctic, but climate change in general.
I have given up my silence in debating the issue (to keep the peace) as the issue is just too important for the future of my children, and using forums like this (and the links i use from it) are an essential weapon to defuse the bulls##t bombs in conversation before they have any effect  :D

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2013, 10:15:14 AM »
Thanks, Matt. And welcome.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

StuartC

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 11:55:03 PM »
Like everyone else, I'm most grateful to Neven for starting this forum.

I've been following the blog since last August when the sea ice dipped below the 2007 record.  I'm a mere biologist with no experience of climate science, but it strikes me as just about the best blog I've come across.  A-Team has just expressed this very well over at the Cryosat-2 thread:  "Working together like this has already created an extraordinary synergistic community" and that's certainly the feeling I have.

I think arctic sea ice is possibly the most important thing in the world just now, in the sense that the northern cryosphere seems to be where global warming is currently having its greatest effect.   I find this very scary, but it also becomes fascinating to keep up to date with what's happening.

So thanks, Neven!  And by the way, I agree entirely about the tip-jar!

The earth was made to be a common Livelihood to all, without respect of persons.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 05:12:59 PM »
Thanks, Terry.

I actually realized the advantages of the forum format watching you and Vergent and Chris Biscan having at it on the American WX forum.

It's great to know that our scribblings at AW played some small part in the genesis of this iteration of your efforts.

After familiarizing myself with the new format I'm completely blown away by the features this offers. No more feverishness reading through scads of posts because all you remember is that last December someone posted something that addressed the issue now at hand. No more trying to follow arguments that flowed across many topics over a period of time.

Your Typepad site was the best thing on the internet, & this is no small improvement.  Journalists had in the past mined quotable quotes from your site, and many may now find this a treasure trove of information when working up an Arctic article.

Again, thanks for doing what you do.
Terry

LurkyMcLurkerson

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 10:23:20 PM »
Ha, I was just going to look for a good place to say exactly "Thanks for this space!" So thanks for the thread for it, too.

I have read the blog and comments for a while now and hugely appreciate the collection of information and thoughtful commentary that y'all have fostered there. I probably will have little to add, I have a science background but this is all way outside of my realm. But I have found all of it incredibly useful for expanding my own knowledge and being able to share solid information with others.

High hopes for the forum and many thanks for all of you.

BornFromTheVoid

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 679
  • Likes Given: 299
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 04:24:38 PM »
If it hasn't been said already, congrats on passing the 1,000 posts mark!
I recently joined the twitter thing, where I post more analysis, pics and animations: @Icy_Samuel

Juan C. García

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1279
  • Likes Given: 1127
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 03:00:02 AM »
Hi, Neven.

I didn’t thank you for setting up the Forum (that I should…), but I want to be the first one to congratulate you for reaching the 100,000 views in only 16 days.
Thank you for the work and the ideas that are making the Forum, the Blog and  the Arctic Sea Ice Graphs page so successful. Also thanks to DungeonMaster that surely is helping you.
Which is the best answer to Sep-2012 ASI lost (compared to 1979-2000)?
50% [NSIDC Extent] or
73% [PIOMAS Volume]

Volume is harder to measure than extent, but 3-dimensional space is real, 2D's hide ~50% thickness gone.
-> IPCC/NSIDC trends [based on extent] underestimate the real speed of ASI lost.

benjamin

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2013, 02:36:51 PM »
As already said by all of the above...terrific job Neven...and much appreciated.

Good luck with the house in Austria: Austria already has  a good average score on footprint but you will certainly be reducing the average: good work
Benjamin

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2013, 03:44:55 PM »
Thanks, Juan and benjamin.  :)
The enemy is within

E. Smith

crandles

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 02:25:21 PM »
Congrats on the forum. Now up to 205000 page views and 2251 posts; very impressive.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 04:45:20 PM »
Congrats on the forum. Now up to 205000 page views and 2251 posts; very impressive.

Yes, amazing. Couldn't have wished for more.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

icebgone

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2013, 12:38:08 AM »
Neven, This forum is terrific!  I love being able to reach new posts quickly on specific topics.  I sense that the blog and forum have become teachers of all things Arctic and why it is important.  Interpreting the language of climate science so that it is understandable to the merely curious gives the blog and forum a value far beyond the science research and measurements that they support.  We need to get the word out to a wider sampling of the general public, but how?  Do you think we could be or should be linked in on other science sites or other sites around the world?  Education sites and government sponsored science sites come to mind.   

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2013, 08:32:46 AM »
We need to get the word out to a wider sampling of the general public, but how?

Well, if the ice keeps melting, things will soon become general knowledge.

Do you think we could be or should be linked in on other science sites or other sites around the world?  Education sites and government sponsored science sites come to mind.

I wouldn't know. I'm just trying to increase my knowledge and then write about what I think I know and don't know. I can't control what happens after that.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 420
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2013, 10:27:54 PM »
 8) Thanx for all the new opportunities this new blog gives us! ;)

Have a ice day!
Have a ice day!

ggelsrinc

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2013, 01:35:20 AM »

Testing, testing...

The Post Reply looks very similar in features to vBulletin software, which many of the political sites use and conservatives flock to. You can't get more people friendly than that.

I've always wanted an X out or strikethrough function, so I plan on testing it in the future on a vBulletin site not offering the function. I've never tested basic functions, but the back of my mind tells me these functions could easily be universal standards and just need to be properly formatted to work whether the site offers it or not. There are differences in how importing video works.

Political forums can have a lot of traffic and the biggest danger to the life of the forum are people not sourcing copyright material or posting it in it's entirety without permission. The volume of posts on some sites can overwhelm moderation and there are always close-minded people trying to silence an opinion they don't agree with.

I appreciate Neven starting a forum like this because there are many things I've never seen examined in detail. One of the things that recently came to mind with all the discussion about methane and permafrost is the recent geological history of the arctic during times other than the present, similar times in the past and what the area was like during glaciation. The bathymetry looks like the arctic ocean could have been almost completely closed off during glaciation, so wouldn't that allow glaciers to play all kinds of games with that sea floor as it changed during relatively short periods of geologic time.   

Juan C. García

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2013, 04:53:41 PM »
Today (May 4th, 2013) the Forum reached half a million page views! Congrats to Neven, DungeonMaster and the others that had intensively participated of this Forum for the success!
Also, at 4:44 PM, we have 8,250 page views in a day, that could be compared with the 5,584.47 average page views per day. Could be possible that the Forum will reach a new record of 10,000+ page views today? Well, we will just wait and see!

« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 05:04:42 PM by Juan C. García »
50% [NSIDC Extent] or
73% [PIOMAS Volume]

Volume is harder to measure than extent, but 3-dimensional space is real, 2D's hide ~50% thickness gone.
-> IPCC/NSIDC trends [based on extent] underestimate the real speed of ASI lost.

Juan C. García

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2013, 07:11:59 AM »
In the previous post, I was talking about reaching a new record of 10,000+ page views on a single day. I wrongly saw the 8,250 page figure of May 1st, instead of looking at the number of May 4th. So I apologize for the mistake. The April 9th stat of 9,951 page views will continue to be the daily record.
Of the other hand, on the Arctic Sea Ice blog, Neven formally invited us to this forum on February 20th. So, in just two and a half months, the Forum was able to have 260 topics with a total of half million page views. I am sure that this statistics is a good example of the success of the Forum. Congratulations!
50% [NSIDC Extent] or
73% [PIOMAS Volume]

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2013, 02:43:07 PM »
Thanks, Juan. The Forum is already fulfilling it's projected function.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2013, 08:34:52 PM »
A new record?!

Most Online Today: 83. Most Online Ever: 83 (Today at 05:52:52 PM)
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2013, 10:37:53 PM »
Make that 87.  ;D

The forum is surpassing any wishes I might have had, but it hasn't turned into a monster. Yet.  ;)
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2013, 12:17:33 AM »
Earlier this week, HBO network aired Gasland II, which fired up at least one of my friends about the dangers of fracking and climate change. I wouldn’t be surprised if it resulted in increased traffic to great sites like this!
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Juan C. García

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2013, 05:11:23 AM »
Well, the melting season has ended and I want to thank Neven and everyone else for the effort made this year, following the melting of the Arctic.
Even that I know that as a group, we forecast a lot of more melting than what really happen, I still believe that we can be facing a free-ice Arctic before 2020. I also believe that humanity should be thinking in the worst possible scenario in climate change, trying to react to this worst possible scenario. As human beings, we are not anticipating the problems that we can face; we are just reacting to the consequences but we are not preventing. Last week at Mexico is an example; we face huge rains and flooding all over the country, having disasters and more than one hundred dead people.
So the efforts to bring consciousness to AGW and the repercussions at the Arctic are very welcome. So thanks Neven, Wipneus, ChrisReynolds, arcticio, AbruptSLR, Apocalypse4Real, , TerryM, BornFromTheVoid,werther,  Espen, ccgwebmaster, Jim Hunt, Artful Dodger, Vergent, ivica, JimDLaurent, OldLeatherneck, Bob Wallace, Shared Humanity and all the others, for the efforts made this melting season.
50% [NSIDC Extent] or
73% [PIOMAS Volume]

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2013, 05:40:57 AM »
Many thanks to everyone from me as well. The forum is performing just as I hoped it would.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Juan C. García

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2014, 07:11:33 AM »
Many thanks to everyone from me as well. The forum is performing just as I hoped it would.

Happy 5 million+ page views in the Arctic Sea Ice Forum.
Also Happy second consecutive month with half a million+ page views.
If we judge the Forum by the contents, it is also the place on Internet to follow the Arctic Sea Ice (and other subjects as well).
The melting season is just starting, so it is going to be a busy year.
Thanks Neven and everybody else, for making happen it and for keeping it.
50% [NSIDC Extent] or
73% [PIOMAS Volume]

DungeonMaster

• Administrator
  • Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2014, 02:06:50 AM »
Watching forum's network graphs is quite impressive!
The server has just been upgraded, more new tech improvements will arrive soon...

So we'll be ready for the melt season!
This forum helps me to feel less uncomfortable about "doing something" about the melting Arctic and the warming world.

Wipneus

• Citizen scientist
  • Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctische Pinguin
  • Liked: 1025
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2014, 08:32:08 AM »

So we'll be ready for the melt season!

Hi DM, perhaps you can reset the "Most Online Ever:" counter. What is there now is clearly erroneous.

DungeonMaster

• Administrator
  • Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2014, 10:13:39 AM »

Hi DM, perhaps you can reset the "Most Online Ever:" counter. What is there now is clearly erroneous.

It can't be reset. Why would it be erroneous? It counts the number of members coming on one day - even coming twice. Visitors are not counted.
This forum helps me to feel less uncomfortable about "doing something" about the melting Arctic and the warming world.

Wipneus

• Citizen scientist
  • Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctische Pinguin
  • Liked: 1025
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2014, 10:50:03 AM »

It can't be reset. Why would it be erroneous? It counts the number of members coming on one day - even coming twice. Visitors are not counted.

Perhaps I am confused: until July 2013 the number was comparable with "Most Online Today", Just never decreasing. A a few days later (perhaps the next day, I don't check always) the number had exploded to 694. The "Most Online Today" numbers have slowly increased since, but but the "Most Online Ever" has not changed since.
It is theoretically possible, that is true.

ccgwebmaster

• Nilas ice
  • Civilisation collapse - what are you doing?
    • View Profile
    • CCG Website
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2014, 06:43:06 PM »
Perhaps I am confused: until July 2013 the number was comparable with "Most Online Today", Just never decreasing. A a few days later (perhaps the next day, I don't check always) the number had exploded to 694. The "Most Online Today" numbers have slowly increased since, but but the "Most Online Ever" has not changed since.
It is theoretically possible, that is true.

It's bots. And they do count even if they aren't logged in users. They also massively inflate page views, though perhaps not as much here proportionately as on my forum (where I estimate 99% of traffic is bots trying to register and accessing pages).

I'm quite certain, now I'm running a simple machines forum myself.

Juan C. García

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2015, 06:04:35 PM »
It could be overrated, but anyway, it is the best measure we have of the activity of the Forum and for the first time, on July 2015 seems that it will reach the 1 million page views in one month! So congratulations for the great Forum success and thank you all for the effort that you have been making!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 06:10:11 PM by Juan C. García »
50% [NSIDC Extent] or
73% [PIOMAS Volume]

crandles

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2015, 08:05:48 PM »
for the first time, on July 2015 seems that it will reach the 1 million page views in one month!

You may want to check out July 2014.

congratulations for the great Forum success anyway