Please support this Forum and Neven's Blog

Author Topic: Wildfires  (Read 49356 times)

Rippleillusion

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Wildfires
« Reply #250 on: August 11, 2017, 07:19:48 PM »
Haha sorry guys, its a common tongue in cheek way to refer to our area, but I realize posters from around the world obviously wouldn't be versed in our colloquialisms. Glad I cheered somebody up, because its brutal over here! The smoke is giving everybody headaches. Apparently we might get some rain this weekend, but overall this summer is just part of a trend of droughts in a traditionally very wet area.

Tor Bejnar

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 11, 2017, 07:33:08 PM »
cross post:
The biggest fire continues to spread.  Image from Sentinel Playground August 8.  I'm showing the color bands choices. (8/8/17 image is latest.) Note scale in lower left corner.  (click if you like)
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things.

DoomInTheUK

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 11, 2017, 10:19:31 PM »
Rip - Ah, I understand - and fully approve of the phrase. From someone in the North West UK, I can fully sympathise with a wet climate, and I willing to bet the 'droughts' we get here are nothing to what you're going through. I hope you get some relief soon.

It's still making me chuckle just for the dichotomy.

solartim27

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 12, 2017, 06:22:09 PM »
FNORD

Csnavywx

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 12, 2017, 08:54:36 PM »
BC fire situation is exceptionally bad. As of the 11th, they're up to 143 active fires (11 starts the previous day) with a season total of 646,000 ha (1.59M acres) burned in the province.

This includes the monster Elephant Hill fire, which is up to 125k ha (300k acres) in size.

AbruptSLR

• ASIF Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: August 12, 2017, 11:29:40 PM »
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

longwalks1

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 13, 2017, 05:36:41 AM »
I was so stunned with all the smoke I saw and smelt in Winnipeg last year during the Womens Fifa Soccer, much from Alberta.  Slightly amazed at the smoke I notice via the moon in northern Iowa this year from further afield. 

miki

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 13, 2017, 06:06:32 AM »
A New Zealand helicopter pilot fighting enormous wildfires in Canada says everyone works in an ''apocalyptic twilight'' amid the worst conditions he has experienced in 25 years.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/world/336767/canada-wildfires-apocalyptic-kiwi-pilot

"In my experience and that of the pilots here, we've never seen anything like this.
''This fire will be going until the first snow, so once the weather conditions physically change into fall or winter, that's when the fire will technically be over.
''There's just so much of it, what we're doing right now is just trying to contain it."

AbruptSLR

• ASIF Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 14, 2017, 04:39:22 PM »
Greece, Portugal and Corsica are also experiencing untamed wildfires:

Title: "Wildfires rage on untamed in Greece, Portugal and Corsica"

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/French-summer-wildfires-ravage-over-2-000-11815849.php

“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

Csnavywx

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 16, 2017, 03:25:52 AM »
An extreme wildfire event has taken place in Northwest Territories, Canada with 1.19 million acres being burned in approx. one day. Robertscribbler has a good article up on it right now.

Tor Bejnar

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 16, 2017, 06:39:06 PM »
Yesterday's Worldview image shows northwestern Canadian smoke.  Some of it clearly (sic!) going to the Arctic.  I expect today's image will be worse.

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #261 on: August 16, 2017, 10:31:15 PM »
Wow. I had read the headlines, but hadn't seen the images yet. Impressive.
Il faut cultiver notre jardin

wili

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 16, 2017, 10:47:08 PM »
We have very smoky ground-level air here in Minneapolis, apparently from Saskatchewan fires, which are 10 times more widespread this year than normal...if there is a 'normal' any more...
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

wili

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 17, 2017, 01:28:38 AM »
http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/world/336767/canada-wildfires-apocalyptic-kiwi-pilot

Canada wildfires 'apocalyptic'

A New Zealand helicopter pilot fighting enormous wildfires in Canada says everyone works in an ''apocalyptic twilight'' amid the worst conditions he has experienced in 25 years.

A couple amazing pictures and lots of good descriptions here.

See also: https://robertscribbler.com/2017/08/15/area-burned-in-severe-northwest-territory-wildfires-doubles-in-just-one-day/

Area Burned in Severe Northwest Territory Wildfires Doubles in Just One Day
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Tor Bejnar

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 17, 2017, 04:38:47 AM »
Today's Worldview

Yuha

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 17, 2017, 08:47:01 AM »
Here's worldview images of the highest concentrations of fires.
The first image uses bands 7-2-1. The scale is 500m/pixel.

Mozi

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 17, 2017, 02:47:15 PM »
Good grief... with fires like that, what is stopping the entire landscape from going up? Only the turning of the seasons, I suppose.

nicibiene

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
    • www.nicibiene.de
« Reply #267 on: August 19, 2017, 09:25:35 AM »
Here is a nice NASA articles about the record smoke from Canada entering the Arctic, including nice links for further read.

“If and when the plume drifts over populated areas, it may turn day into night,” added Mike Fromm of the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory. “There’s that much aerosol in the air.”

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/view.php?id=90759&src=nha
“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.” –“Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.” Albert Einstein

P-maker

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 19, 2017, 03:13:16 PM »
I told you so:

Smoke is not good for your health, neither in the 1990'ies, when the Tobacco Industry paid deniers to hide the truth, nor this summer, when a new NH pattern of wall-to-wall fires are trying to wreack havoc with the health of our Arctic ecosystems.

AbruptSLR

• ASIF Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 19, 2017, 03:22:51 PM »
The linked article provides a nice summary of what has been happening with Canada's wildfires over the past week and a half:

Title: "Canada's forests are on fire, and the smoke is so thick it's breaking records"

http://mashable.com/2017/08/17/canada-is-on-fire-smoke-record-arctic/?utm_cid=hp-r-1#40cC5rxJkqq7

Extract: "Forests in Canada are ablaze, with 2.2 million acres going up in flames so far this year in British Columbia alone. These fires, and others in the Yukon and Northwest Territories, have been belching smoke into the air, in some cases up to 8 miles high."
― Leon C. Megginson

Jim Hunt

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
« Reply #270 on: August 19, 2017, 06:11:07 PM »
The smoke above the Northwest Passage, but viewed from below:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/2017/07/the-northwest-passage-in-2017/#comment-222890
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein