Please support this Forum and Neven's Blog

Author Topic: Informative & Useful Books  (Read 1936 times)

citrine

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
Informative & Useful Books
« on: September 30, 2015, 06:13:57 PM »
Please list any books you think might be particularly informative or useful now or in times to come. Cookbooks, gardening books, how to reduce your impact, all manner of how to books, etc.

I'll start with an odd one:

Unscrewed: Salvage and Reuse Motors, Gears, Switches, and More from Your Old Electronics
by Ed Sobey
near Raleigh, North Carolina / USDA Zone 7b

OrganicSu

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Informative & Useful Books
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 06:35:31 PM »
Gaia's Garden - currently reading and it is completely changing what and how I will grow what I will eat. More fundamentally it will allow me to drastically reduce my water usage while becoming self sufficient food wise. And even more - I believe I will be better equiped to survive a societal meltdown (if/when there is no running water/electricity).

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 07:33:36 PM »
I saw the opening post and thought about a book, but here it is in the first reply:

Gaia's Garden - currently reading and it is completely changing what and how I will grow what I will eat.

So, I guess I'll to have second that one.  ;)

It's a fantastic book, very informative and inspiring. I can also recommend talks by author Toby Hemenway on Youtube.

A cookbook my wife really likes and I enjoy too, is Nourishing Traditions. The philosophy behind it, based on work by Weston A. Price, appeals to us and makes sense on many levels.

Last year we bought a book on fermentation, called the Art of Fermentation. Haven't read it yet, but should be good.

For those who speak German, Oekobuch Verlag helped me a lot with the practical side of things. They produce quality books about a variety of subjects.
Il faut cultiver notre jardin

anotheramethyst

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 06:41:30 AM »
keep an eye out tor old military handbooks.  i have one from 1941.  it's a how-to manual that covers incredibly broad topics including how to dig a latrine (and build lots of other structures with minimal equipment), first aid for people and animals (including horses) and many other practical bits of info using technology that was available during the second world war.  i also have a bunch of books about gardening, herbalism, foraging, sewing, and other skills.  i think it's important to develop your skills as an individual because we will lose those fossil fuel "energy slaves" and our skills will be more valuable than any gadgets we can save.  pick skills you like, and develop them as hobbies... like beekeeping, or whatever.  also u look less weird if it's "just a hobby" wink wink

Clare

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 07:18:30 AM »
Yes AA, I have a copy of Hard Times Handbook by australians K & I Smith, kept in in our emergency box in case of disasters (earthquakes, flooding, volcanic eruptions are all possiblities living here) . Not a military one but full of all sorts of depression era survival skills & budget saving ideas!

We have lots of gardening & cooking/preserving books in our library, an accumulation of 30+ years of progressive learning, eg. from my trad home garden books from the 60's to John Jeavons then Mel Bartholomews Square Foot Gardening & just now I have out all the permaculture books from our 2 local city's libraries!

So I am enjoying reading the Gaia's Garden too. Plus find these other 2 books a great help with my current campaign to learn more about soil & how to improve mine here.

Building Soil, a down-to-earth approach. Elizabeth Murphy
I found this an excellent introduction & v practical.

Teaming with Microbes, the organic gardener's guide to the soil food web - J Lowefels & W Lewis - these authors are great advocates for adding compost & worm tea etc as their being biologically active materials, in contrast to Gaia's Toby Hemenway who is keener on sheet mulching...I'm working on all fronts here so combining the ideas from all 3 books!

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 01:52:07 PM »
Thanks for those titles, Clare. I've added them to the next-book-buying-binge list.
Il faut cultiver notre jardin