Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Ice sheet photography tips  (Read 2232 times)

ChadGreene

• New ice
    • View Profile
    • chadagreene.com
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Ice sheet photography tips
« on: October 08, 2015, 08:04:32 PM »
Does anyone have any good tips for manual photography on an ice sheet?  I've googled around a bit, but most "12 Tips for Photographing Snow" type webpages are severely lacking in depth.  Many of these lists include tips like, "wear warm clothes."  Most snow photography tips seem geared toward mountain landscapes where photos contain a fair amount of color (rock outcrops, trees, creeks) throughout.

I find that on ice sheets my surroundings are quite stunning when I'm there, but the lack of color or contrast makes it difficult to capture with a camera.  What tricks do you have and when do you use them?  The two tricks I've found:

1. Always turn off the automatic white balance to prevent snow from looking gray, and

2. Use a polarizing lens to increase contrast at the horizon between snow and sky.

What else should I be doing?

sesyf

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 85
Re: Ice sheet photography tips
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 09:33:00 PM »
Hi

As I have tried more unsuccesfully tried to get photos of mostly snow, only thing that I can now add (you probably know that...) is to use RAW images and postprocess. Perhaps stacking multiple images in suitable programs etc could help...

BR
Seppo S.