Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: A new name?  (Read 9031 times)

theoldinsane

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
A new name?
« on: March 04, 2016, 07:24:04 PM »
Neven, I am so thankful for this forum. It has transformed me from an "interested CC layman" to a "well informed CC Upper Class Lurker"  :)

I can´t contribute much (or nothing), but I now do have the skills to talk to others about CC in an informed way. There is no other forum that I am aware of which has this broad discussions about CC as this forum. All you need to do is to follow the threads an then you have all the important information you need to understand CC and its implications. (None of the contributers named and none forgotten).

But I have a small suggestion: Maybe it is time to change the name of the forum to something that reflects the broad perspective of the forum? Some suggestions:

"Climate change and our future"

or simply

"Our future"

or

"Everything about or future"

or

"The transforming world"

or... (any suggestion is welcome)

This forum is a place where you want to be in a fast changing environment. But the name "Arctic Sea Ice Forum" has become a bit obsolete if you consider the content.

Stick your neck out and take the next steps in the Forum's development. It has the pontential to be even more significant than it is.

But most important: Don´t let the forum take over the care of your family.

(I´m old so please excuse my English)

Best Regards

P-maker

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 72
Re: A new name?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 07:48:04 PM »
"The Forum" would suffice, I should think. Or the "The Forum of Change".

I also quote forum news in many formal an informal circles.  Never have I been debunked or ridiculed for extracting the essence of a thread here.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1336
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 09:37:24 PM »
Everybody else is just green, have you seen the chart?
It's a helluva start, it could be made into a monster
If we all pull together as a team.

;)

I don't know. The name is good advertisement for Arctic sea ice (loss). I could live with something like "Arctic Sea Ice and AGW Forum", but that's about as far as I would go (yes, I'm sorry, I'm conservative). But Dungeon Master would have a voice in that too, as it's his forum as well.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 05:50:58 AM »
This name is fine by me, right now the front page says "Interesting Discussions"

Lloyds was once a coffee house

theoldinsane

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 11:40:50 AM »
How about "Arctic Sea Ice Foum & all about our future" or simply "Arctic Sea Ice Forum & Our Future"?

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 11:10:31 AM »
This name is fine by me, right now the front page says "Interesting Discussions"

Lloyds was once a coffee house

Concur
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

Lawrence Martin

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 04:58:21 PM »
I have a name change suggestion for lurkers...
    Silent  Learners
Mosher gave me the idea when he mentioned mentioned that he was a long term reader at ASIB and this forum. There are countless  readers who are silently learning exactly what is occurring in the Arctic and observing individuals working cooperatively to discover the what when why and how   
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 06:31:32 PM by Lawrence Martin »

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 05:24:35 PM »
Ah, but you have just posted a comment, and are therefore no longer silent.  ;D
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Lawrence Martin

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 06:25:29 PM »
Touche!

Neven: remove the silent and Learners would actually work better and illustrates that in this specific case working together increases the power of one.

DungeonMaster

• Administrator
  • Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 06:28:25 PM »
Well, first we had only the Arctic Sea Ice Blog, and then came the Arctic Sea Ice Forum... This name marks the strong relationship between them, so I'd stick to the current name.
This forum helps me to feel less uncomfortable about "doing something" about the melting Arctic and the warming world.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1159
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 07:39:37 PM »
"Arctic Sea Ice" is a major focus of the Forum.  I think it is vital for people to realize that, when they come upon the site.

And I love the "interesting discussions" sub-head.

But perhaps an additional sub-head, such as, "Understanding our changing planet" might encourage new visitors to explore further, and discover the wondrous variety of other topics the forum offers.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 08:46:22 PM »
Touche!

Neven: remove the silent and Learners would actually work better and illustrates that in this specific case working together increases the power of one.

What if some cryospheric expert creates a profile and then starts out as a 'learner'?  Now, that would look silly.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

GeoffBeacon

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 09:18:30 PM »
Neven's forum or Nevens Forum or just Nevens

The content is too varied to have a descriptive name.
Il faut cultiver notre cité-jardin
The Sustainable Plotlands Association

Lawrence Martin

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 02:16:12 AM »
We who dwell in the reality based universe never ever stop learning and a  scientist could upgrade his status  to Learner, capital L, by contacting you, revealing his identity  and requesting it

I left a comment in reply to Neven at Snow White's that may interest readers of this post...

johnm33

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 02:20:42 AM »
Increasingly when I search for something to do with the arctic, antarctic, greenland or anything to do with climate change at some point the references refer me back here to something I've missed.
Let well alone.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2016, 07:05:12 AM »
I find the present name a huge advantage when conversing with contrarians. Many simply shut down when they hear "global warming" or "climate change" mentioned. By assuring them that I'm only competent to discuss "Arctic Sea Ice", many are drawn into the conversation.
Once they're involved it's up to me to attempt a conversion ;>)
Terry

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3588
  • Likes Given: 3940
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2016, 07:18:25 AM »
Touche!

What if some cryospheric expert creates a profile and then starts out as a 'learner'?  Now, that would look silly.

Actually there should be a distinction between a newbie (recently registered) and a lurker.