Please support this Forum and Neven's Blog

Author Topic: Health Effects of Climate Change  (Read 4405 times)

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
Health Effects of Climate Change
« on: April 06, 2016, 02:13:06 AM »
Studies increasingly show adverse health effects resulting from climate change.  The latest report is the White House climate study.

Deaths, Floods and Pestilence Cited in White House Climate Study
Deadly heat waves, worsening air quality, and the increasing spread of illnesses like Lyme disease and West Nile Virus could kill tens of thousands of Americans and leave scores more battling chronic disease over the next century, the White House warned in a report released Monday.

All Americans are vulnerable to climate change affecting their health and the risks are varied and severe, administration officials said Monday. Air pollution and longer allergy seasons will exacerbate asthma and other respiratory illnesses. The chances of food and waterborne illnesses will increase. Droughts and floods will become more frequent. And extreme weather events -- and their disruption to public services and health infrastructure -- will be more likely and more severe.

“This isn’t just about glaciers and polar bears, it’s about the health of our families and kids,” EPA administrator Gina McCarthy said in a briefing with reporters.

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-04-04/deaths-floods-and-pestilence-cited-in-white-house-climate-study

Climate change threat to public health worse than polio, White House warns
Obama administration report details the diversity of risks and claims global warming is a far more challenging danger than polio virus in some cases
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/apr/04/climate-change-public-health-threat-white-house-report

Scroll down at this link for a synopsis and a link to the White House report itself.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2016/04/04/fact-sheet-what-climate-change-means-your-health-and-family
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
Re: Health Effects of Climate Change
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 01:58:15 AM »
@ClimateNexus:  GRAPHIC: How #climate change, #pollution and air quality affect your health via @PublicHealth @ClimateNexus
https://twitter.com/climatenexus/status/734512438431911936

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 02:54:12 PM »
Health effects from the causes of climate change:

Scientists Just Discovered Exactly What Air Pollution Does To Your Arteries
Air pollution has been linked to heart disease for years, prompting concern as well as some skepticism, as the physiological steps showing a cause-and-effect have gone less understood. But now, a multi-year study has for the first time documented that air pollution thickens blood and hardens arteries, a condition that causes cardiovascular problems like heart attacks and strokes.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2016/05/24/3781243/how-air-pollution-causes-heart-disease/

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 02:08:25 PM »
Climate change is bad for your kidneys
Thousands of people labouring in hot temperatures have been succumbing to a deadly kidney disease, and as the planet warms, the problem is likely to spread
A recent study found that hard work in the hot climate of the lowlands left workers dehydrated, putting such a heavy strain on their kidneys that it fatally damaged them. “When it’s extremely hot, the risk for kidney damage really begins to become evident,” said Richard Johnson of the University of Colorado, Denver.

Similar epidemics of kidney disease were also found in farm workers in other hot climates, in Sri Lanka, Egypt and Andhra Pradesh in India. And as global temperatures rise and heat waves become more intense, so the new type of kidney disease is increasing, according to the study published in the Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/jun/20/claimate-change-bad-kidneys-weatherwatch

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 11:40:48 PM »
The Climate Anxiety Doctor Is “In”
A Providence poet is taking to the park to counsel residents about their climate woes.
https://www.hakaimagazine.com/article-short/climate-anxiety-doctor

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 07:02:12 PM »
Heat speak: challenges of the “silent killer”
Meteorological Twitter has been pretty quiet of late. In fact, the only real “hot-topic” cooking up is about heat—no surprise in the summer months. This subject is revisited every summer and it often has to do with criteria. What constitutes a heat advisory? How about an excessive heat warning? As the weather wise know, answers to those questions vary based on location. But there are some broader points to the heat narrative that inspire further discussion. Scientists always seem to want hard and fast rules—or certain thresholds. Does a certain ambient temperature need to be reached? Should it simply focus on heat index? How does time factor into the equation?
Josh: Is a heat advisory really needed? Maybe not for you or me… we know the drill… more water than usual, less outdoor exertion, lighter clothing. But there are outdoor workers in industries such as construction, landscaping and roofing. Owners and managers of these companies don’t slow down business just because the weather folks said it might be a good idea. The hard laborers in these forces may not readily receive weather message or even speak the language in which those messages are offered (see lightning fatalities). For those workers and others, the body can breakdown quickly in hot temperatures and the symptoms of heat related illness can appear suddenly. Annual and often repetitive advisories may serve as a reminder, a review of heat related illness every year, especially for those most susceptible. In addition to outdoor workers these messages must be reinforced to the elderly, the infirm, kids (their parents), pets and of course those without access to air conditioning.
https://thewxsocial.com/2016/07/22/heat-speak-challenges-of-the-silent-killer/

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 02:24:25 AM »
Russian officials blame thawed reindeer carcass in anthrax outbreak
Thirteen people have been hospitalized amid an outbreak of anthrax in western Siberia, the governor's office of the Yamalo-Nenets autonomous region reported Thursday. Experts with the Russian Ministry of Agriculture believe the cause of infection is the thawing of the frozen carcass of a reindeer that died 75 years ago.
The hospitalizations came after up to 1,200 reindeer died over the past month, which officials originally blamed on a heat wave in the region. Unusually high temperatures of up to 35 degrees Celsius (95 degrees Fahrenheit) recorded over the past month might have weakened the reindeer.

Now, laboratory tests have confirmed that the reindeer died of anthrax, Gov. Dmitry Kobylkin's office reported.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/28/health/anthrax-thawed-reindeer-siberia/index.html

Anne

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 12:55:04 AM »
Olympic Athletes Challenged by New Opponent: Global Warming
Climate change warnings poignantly made during the Olympic Games opening ceremony on Friday are likely to resonate with athletes as they struggle to train and compete in Brazil’s tropical heat.

Marathon runners, swimmers, volleyball players and even soccer referees will succumb to extreme temperatures and lose concentration during the games, in some cases risking their lives to heatstroke, according to a report released Monday by Observatorio do Clima, a Brazilian civil society group.

“Because of warming, sport will never be the same again,” and fewer records than in previous games are likely to fall as a result, the report said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-08/olympic-records-won-t-come-easy-in-rio-because-of-climate-change

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 09:55:31 PM »
A Second Olympic pool has turned green
On Tuesday, when the diving pool at the Maria Lenk Aquatics Centre mysteriously changed colors, Olympic organizers and FINA -- swimming's international governing body -- offered competing explanations why.

On Wednesday, the water polo pool at the center also went green.

Swimming pools, in case anyone is unclear, are supposed to be a tranquil shade of azure.

So, what is going on?
There are now so many explanations.

A change in alkalinity:
Mario Andrada, the communication director for the Rio 2016 local organizing committee, says a sudden change in alkalinity is the culprit.

"We expect the color to be back to blue soon," Andrada said, adding there is "absolutely no risk to the athletes or anybody."

An algae bloom:
Nope, the green tone seen was due to a proliferation of algae, the organizing body said. The algae bloomed because of heat and lack of wind, it said.

Poor organization:
Nope, says, FINA, the blames lies with the organizers. FINA claims water tanks "ran out some of the chemicals used in the water treatment process." It made no mention of wind or heat.

It didn't take long for the Internet to offer up its own imaginative take on the green shade....

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/10/sport/rio-olympics-second-green-pool-trnd/index.html

ritter

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 11:03:44 PM »
Someone peed in the pool?  :o

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 07:55:52 PM »
SoCal hit with worst smog in years as hot, stagnant weather brings surge in hospital visits
Southern California is experiencing its worst smog in years this summer as heat and stagnant weather increase the number of bad air days and drive up ozone pollution to levels not seen since 2009.
Fine blamed the increase in smog on abnormally hot, stagnant weather, including some of the strongest, most persistent pollution-trapping inversion layers in years. It’s unlikely that increased emissions are to blame, he said, because of a wide variety of regulations that mandate increasingly cleaner cars, trucks and other vehicles.

Smoke from recent wildfires has also degraded air quality.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-summer-smog-20160805-snap-story.html

budmantis

• ASIF Upper Class
  • We dont get fooled again! No No! THE WHO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 08:49:50 AM »
Good post Mr. Visible, thanks for the information. By the way, I really like your handle.
"I think politicians should wear uniforms like race car drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."  Unknown

MrVisible

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2016, 11:12:34 PM »
Two more outbreaks of anthrax hit northern Siberia due to thawing permafrost

Crucially, the study also established that the infection started in thawed, contaminated soil, rather than emanating directly from decades-old poisoned reindeer carcasses or even human remains in graveyards, as was earlier believed.

This, in turn, means that controlling new outbreaks in a warming climate  is virtually impossible, other than by mass vaccinations of people and animals.

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 06:23:52 PM »
Labor Day 2050: How Global Warming Threatens Labor Productivity
Also, higher CO2 levels directly harm human cognition
By Dr. Joe Romm
Global warming is projected to have a serious negative impact on outdoor labor productivity this century. That impact could well exceed the “combined cost of all other projected economic losses” from climate change, as one expert has explained. Yet it has “never been included in economic models of future warming”!

At the same time, higher carbon dioxide (CO2) levels threaten indoor productivity, as I reported last year. The Harvard School of Public Health has found that CO2 has a direct and negative impact on human cognition and decision-making at CO2 levels that most Americans are routinely exposed to today.

Ironically, strong climate action would be a huge boost to productivity. Here’s what we know. ...
https://thinkprogress.org/global-warming-labor-productivity-5743fdfc7468

Shared Humanity

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2016, 03:22:55 PM »
With blooms of blue green algae on the rise due to AGW, the health effects could be devastating.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/algae-bloom-toxin-linked-to-alzheimers-and-other-neurodegenerative-diseases/

Rippleillusion

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2016, 11:58:24 PM »
First post! I wanted to weigh in on the health factors I've noticed the last couple of years.

In the summer of 2015, we were hit here in Southern BC by Smoke waves from surrounding fires. This past summer it's an algae bloom that has found its way into our seafood chain. We've had less rainfall events, meaning the air is smoggier here in the city. And most devastatingly of all, some people had to stop watering their lawns   ;D

Personally my biggest health effect(that I've noticed anyhow) has been emotional. If I don't distract myself significantly, its on my mind 24/7. I've had dreams about AGW. I drink and eat more. I'm less productive and driven. I know these are all choices and feeling sorry for oneself is not the answer, but these are very unique circumstances which I don't think anybody is emotionally prepared for.

oren

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2016, 08:19:46 AM »
First post!

Welcome to the forum! The first posting is the hardest.
I also find that the main health effect of climate change (and many other long term trends) is depression  :(

Bruce Steele

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2016, 03:02:23 PM »
Rippleillusion, It is depressing !  It is very hard to find someone to lend an ear but we are all here , so thanks for the honesty and keep on posting. I might add delusions of grandeur to the list of mental cracks that may actually be healthy at this point. So as you cut back on your personal carbon contribution , natural response in the face of all this , think about how you or a group you and your friends can get to zero fossil fuel carbon emissions . I have never meet anyone who didn't think zero was impossible but maybe to " dream as many as six impossible things before breakfast " is a sane response .

ritter

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2016, 05:43:19 PM »
Personally my biggest health effect(that I've noticed anyhow) has been emotional. If I don't distract myself significantly, its on my mind 24/7. I've had dreams about AGW. I drink and eat more. I'm less productive and driven. I know these are all choices and feeling sorry for oneself is not the answer, but these are very unique circumstances which I don't think anybody is emotionally prepared for.

Welcome to the other side. Some of my colleges engaged in climate change and adaptation work call it the "awakening" or "rock bottom". Put the food and drink down. Go outside and get some exercise and enjoy nature where you find it. I find being outside and walking/riding/running/whatever the best distraction and being in better shape has never hurt anybody. Then get up and do something about it. Anything. The more there are of us working on a solution or adaptations to climate change, the better our chance of avoiding or reducing the most horrific consequences. It may not be possible to change our course at this late stage of the game, but I'll be damned if I don't try.  ;)

ritter

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2016, 07:52:11 PM »
For those in the San Francisco Bay Areas, the health effects of climate change is a growing movement/concern. Here's a short conference if anyone is interested in attending.

Social Justice in Climate Change Adaptation: Beyond Sea Level Rise

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/social-justice-in-climate-change-adaptation-beyond-sea-level-rise-tickets-28697726673?ref=enivtefor001&invite=MTA5NzgxODEvbGluZGEuaGVsbGFuZEBjZHBoLmNhLmdvdi8w&utm_source=eb_email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=inviteformalv2&ref=enivtefor001&utm_term=attend

What are the disproportionate impacts of climate change on households most at risk, including people of color, with low incomes, or with disabilities? How can community leaders and agency staff work together to systematize social justice in climate resilience?

Join grassroots leaders from the Resilient Communities Initiative (RCI), and key agency staff from the Office of Planning and Research (OPR), California Department of Public Health, and other agencies in the second joint policy workshop in a series that seeks to identify how communities most at-risk from climate change can move from input to leadership in resilience policies. The workshop will focus on systematizing and funding social justice in climate resilience planning.

Rippleillusion

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2016, 11:09:30 PM »
Thank you to all for your kind welcome and golden advice! Like many here I do believe that logically, despite our circumstances it is wise to try to live life as fully engaged as possible. Pursuing songwriting/music with vigour (user name is my band name) and in conjunction with my current feelings about the near term future (my opinion being unavoidable NTHE). Being lucky enough to live in Vancouver, I also enjoy hiking, although the extent to which going out in the wild is a distraction for me is quite miniscule. I'm quite observant on the changes happening out there.

However I find that my greatest escape is simply coming on here and reading the brilliant comments. Those smart (and courageous) enough to continue to study the arctic even as it must be gutting for them. By those with creative solutions. You all inspire me and quite often keep me entertained and therefore sane, and able minded enough to continue to educate, protest, change my lifestyle, etc, even though in my heart I believe our condition is very much fatal. So thank you for that!

One thing I am doing is I'm keeping vigilant to detect any physical health consequences that may happen in my west coast habitat. First thing I really noticed was the summer of 2015 contained significant waves of wildfire smoke that choked the oxygen out of the air. This past summer we had an algae bloom that broke records and turned the water a slimy green. Surely that affected the health of our remaining coastal ecosystem. So far people haven't collectively noticed in any significant way. It's truly bizarre.
[/quote]

Welcome to the other side. Some of my colleges engaged in climate change and adaptation work call it the "awakening" or "rock bottom". Put the food and drink down. Go outside and get some exercise and enjoy nature where you find it. I find being outside and walking/riding/running/whatever the best distraction and being in better shape has never hurt anybody. Then get up and do something about it. Anything. The more there are of us working on a solution or adaptations to climate change, the better our chance of avoiding or reducing the most horrific consequences. It may not be possible to change our course at this late stage of the game, but I'll be damned if I don't try.  ;)
[/quote]

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2016, 07:01:55 PM »
Four people are dead in Australia after a thunderstorm triggered thousands of asthma attacks
A scary confluence of hazards killed at least four people and sent thousands of people to emergency rooms in Australia on Monday night.

A strong thunderstorm rolled through Melbourne, which, in itself, may not have been all that remarkable. But the air was hot and dry before this cold front, and grass pollen was lying in wait for the slightest bit of moisture.

The Bureau of Meteorology ended up posting severe storm warnings for the entire state of Victoria as it plowed across southern Australia.

“The noise was unbelievable, it was truly unbelievable,” Melbourne resident Marie Clement told the Australian Broadcasting Corp. “The chairs were shooting past the family room window, the garden chairs — it was very frightening indeed.”

Chairs and shingles were the least of this storm’s threats, though. After it passed, people couldn’t breathe. The rain and wind combined with the pollen created a deadly situation that even affected people who don’t typically have respiratory issues.

Between 6 and 11 that night, there were about 2,000 calls to triple-zero — Australia’s version of 911 — which is nearly seven times the average number, the ABC reports.

The scene at hospitals was chaos, the ABC reported:
Hospitals were swamped with emergency patients, while firefighters and police were called on to help paramedics respond to thousands of calls after the conditions caused breathing problems for Victorians.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2016/11/23/four-people-are-dead-in-australia-after-a-thunderstorm-caused-thousands-of-asthma-attacks/

MrVisible

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2016, 01:16:42 AM »
I did a little digging into thunderstorm asthma, and found this paper:

Asthma admissions and thunderstorms: a study of pollen, fungal spores, rainfall, and ozone

The effect is more marked in warmer weather, and is not explained by increases in grass pollen, total pollen or fungal spore counts, nor by an interaction between these and rainfall. There was an independent, positive association between ozone concentrations and asthma admissions.

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2017, 10:15:38 PM »
Researchers currently classify the new form of chronic kidney disease as “climate-sensitive”, which means that climate is one ingredient contributing to the epidemic. As temperatures continue to rise, many such climate-sensitive diseases will become climate-driven, and monitoring and bringing attention to them will become even more crucial.

Climate change is turning dehydration into a deadly disease
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/climate-change-is-turning-dehydration-into-a-deadly-disease-a7680856.html

Archimid

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2017, 05:54:10 PM »
'It’s going to hit the poorest people': Zika outbreak feared on the Texas border

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/23/zika-outbreak-rio-grande-valley-texas-border-health

It is real enough, if not widespread: according to state health department statistics, 10 Zika cases have been documented in Texas this year and 320 in 2016 and 2015. About 250 women and children have shown evidence of infection reported to the federal Zika Pregnancy Registry.

Zika, and climate change driven mutations of both the mosquito and the virus scare the heck out of me.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2017, 12:03:00 AM »
Article takes a fairly extreme tone... but I'm posting it because it looks at many different aspects of the problem.

There are diseases hidden in ice, and they are waking up
Long-dormant bacteria and viruses, trapped in ice and permafrost for centuries, are reviving as Earth's climate warms
http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20170504-there-are-diseases-hidden-in-ice-and-they-are-waking-up

Shared Humanity

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2017, 02:53:02 PM »
Article takes a fairly extreme tone... but I'm posting it because it looks at many different aspects of the problem.

There are diseases hidden in ice, and they are waking up
Long-dormant bacteria and viruses, trapped in ice and permafrost for centuries, are reviving as Earth's climate warms
http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20170504-there-are-diseases-hidden-in-ice-and-they-are-waking-up

"The Earth Strikes Back!"

In my darkest moods, I imagine (wish for?) a global pandemic that wipes out about 2/3 of us.

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2017, 07:02:25 PM »
Dust Bowl-ification of U.S. Southwest leads to 8-fold jump in Valley Fever cases
As the region dries out, infections from inhaling soil-dwelling fungus see stunning jump.
The infection rate of Valley Fever in the Southwest United States has gone up a stunning 800 percent from 2000 to 2011, as dust storms have more than doubled.

New research directly links the rise in Valley Fever to the rise in dust storms, which in turn is driven by climate change. Valley Fever, which the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention calls “a fungal lung infection that can be devastating,” is caused by inhaling soil-dwelling fungus. When the soil dries out and turns to dust, the wind can make the fungus airborne....
https://thinkprogress.org/valley-fever-soars-climate-change-8b236cf4e9c9