Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Gambling on The Ice  (Read 25464 times)

jdallen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 650
  • Likes Given: 244
Re: Gambling on The Ice
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2016, 06:23:11 PM »
I've been wanting to put a bet on the ice for the last couple of months but can get no takers .. either multi national bookies or independents will take my money . Been trying to put £42 on .. preferably at 42-1 that David Attenborough will be reporting from an ice-free north pole later this year . Any takers on here ? :)
Nope, not at those odds ;)
This space for Rent.

Peter Ellis

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2016, 11:33:10 PM »
... and this is why the betting markets got the Brexit prediction so wrong. People betting to make a political point rather than because they've made any kind of rational calculation.

No, the North Pole won't be ice free this year.
Even if it is, they wouldn't be able to get a ship there in time to report on it.
Even if they got a ship there to report on an ice-free North Pole, David Attenborough wouldn't be on it.

So yeah, I'd happily take your bet.  £42 at 42:1 means I only win £1 though. Can I trust you to chuck a quid in a charity collection box as and when you lose?  Thanks.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2016, 12:09:37 AM »
hi Peter ..your bet is accepted ...

provided you give £42 to charity as and when it happens . :)

I did want to place £42 at odds of 42 to 1 so I will challenge the next 41 takers ..

or if anyone can afford to be more generous to charity bigger bets may be placed .

I will happily donate up to £168 publicly to charity !

Just to restate .. the bet is that David Attenborough will be reporting from an

ice=free north pole later this season ... lets do it to help raise awareness . What

ever happens .. we cannot afford to lose the Arctic

« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 12:29:58 AM by be cause »
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

Iceismylife

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2016, 06:12:09 PM »
Uranium isn't a good answer due to the long term safety issues.
Nuclear power is the solution but using Thorium since a thorium molten salt reactor is automatically safe when it fails.
Thorium needs uranium!
Thorium needs neutrons.  Those can come from uranium, plutonium, or thorium if you bombard it with neutrons first.

nukefix

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2016, 12:31:26 PM »
A bet that coffee will go up one day is a bet on bad crop-yields happening sometime in the future. It's not necessary to use futures to profit from this, there are ETF/ETN-instruments that are linked to the price of coffee, for example COFF or JO.

ps. I agree this is off-topic in this forum, perhaps admins could move this thread to the "Walking the walk"-forum?
Just for the the record, JO is up 10% from mid-June and around 30% since the bottom in the beginning of this year.