Please support this Forum and Neven's Blog

Author Topic: Forum Software  (Read 752 times)

carmiac

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
Forum Software
« on: August 07, 2016, 02:23:28 AM »
I'm a long time lurker, but I really appreciate the community and information here.

I've recently been setting up a couple of forums and was wondering if there was any thought to updating the forum software? I've found that discourse.org has some really nice features for admins and moderators, as well as a good interface for phones and tablets. And it can import an old forum.

sidd

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Software
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 06:14:09 AM »
looking at simplemachines vs discourse .org  makes me think that simplemachines is more to be trusted.

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 10:05:25 AM »
Never change a winning forum!  ;)
Il faut cultiver notre jardin

carmiac

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 01:32:02 AM »
Heh, ok Neven has spoken.

One question sidd, why do you think simplemachines is more trustworthy than discourse.org?

sidd

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 05:26:26 AM »
I looked at the discourse site a few days ago, and noted that they  tie into privacy disrespecting  platforms like facebook, twitter, and others. There were some other aspects I didn't like as well, but I do not immediately recall what they were.

sidd

carmiac

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 08:45:39 PM »
Do you mean that discourse allows you to configure single sign on through FB or Google? Or that you can share links to them?

sidd

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 11:04:23 PM »
I am not really interested in reverse engineering discourse. My attitude is that allowing for tracking by privacy challenged entities is not for me. And single sign on make tracking very very easy.

I will note that just putting the AddThis facebook, twitter etc. buttons to a web page means all visitors are tracked by (at least) Oracle _even if they have no social media accounts or if they never click on the icons_

Unfortunately, even sites such as realclimate have these buttons. (Surveillance can be avoided, but one needs to jump thru multiple hoops.)

sidd