Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Forum Software  (Read 14174 times)

carmiac

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Forum Software
« on: August 07, 2016, 02:23:28 AM »
I'm a long time lurker, but I really appreciate the community and information here.

I've recently been setting up a couple of forums and was wondering if there was any thought to updating the forum software? I've found that discourse.org has some really nice features for admins and moderators, as well as a good interface for phones and tablets. And it can import an old forum.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
Re: Forum Software
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 06:14:09 AM »
looking at simplemachines vs discourse .org  makes me think that simplemachines is more to be trusted.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 10:05:25 AM »
Never change a winning forum!  ;)
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

carmiac

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 01:32:02 AM »
Heh, ok Neven has spoken.

One question sidd, why do you think simplemachines is more trustworthy than discourse.org?

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 05:26:26 AM »
I looked at the discourse site a few days ago, and noted that they  tie into privacy disrespecting  platforms like facebook, twitter, and others. There were some other aspects I didn't like as well, but I do not immediately recall what they were.

sidd

carmiac

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 08:45:39 PM »
Do you mean that discourse allows you to configure single sign on through FB or Google? Or that you can share links to them?

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 11:04:23 PM »
I am not really interested in reverse engineering discourse. My attitude is that allowing for tracking by privacy challenged entities is not for me. And single sign on make tracking very very easy.

I will note that just putting the AddThis facebook, twitter etc. buttons to a web page means all visitors are tracked by (at least) Oracle _even if they have no social media accounts or if they never click on the icons_

Unfortunately, even sites such as realclimate have these buttons. (Surveillance can be avoided, but one needs to jump thru multiple hoops.)

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 08:24:02 AM »
What was the cause of the outage ? The error message indicated database failure, was that true ?

sidd

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 09:53:45 AM »
Fred looked into it, and then it solved itself. He's not sure what really happened, but who cares, it's working again.  ;)
The enemy is within

E. Smith

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2020, 09:12:39 PM »
I saw a similar problem recently because of connections to the database not being closed in a timely manner, leading to too many open connections and hitting limits where the database sat sullenly, refusing any more incoming connections.  If left alone forawhile the connections are closed when the networking layer times out, which can be a couple hours.

I then discovered that the ops team were "fixing" for the problem by restarting the database server. The actual solution was cleaning up the code in the front end so that it properly closed connections.

sidd

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2020, 08:44:16 PM »
Is there a trick to making emojis display?  When I paste Tweets with emojis into the Post Reply message field, only a few emojis seem to be allowed — most of them cause my entire input text to be rejected and I get a warning like “the message field is empty.”  But other folks have posted comments that contain emojis I can’t post....

Granted, I am working with iOS software that is a few years old, however the emojis display fine on my tablet, yet the forum software won’t accept them.  If there’s an html workaround, please advise.  Thanks.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

blumenkraft

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2020, 08:56:50 PM »
Test!

🤣 😤 🤯 🖖🏽 🧑🏻‍🎤 👯‍♀️ 🐭 🐤 🐣 🍕 💯 ⚠️ 🇩🇪 🇪🇺

Works for me. Perhaps it's the old iPad software, Sig. Can't you update it?

Edit: Just realized copy&paste from Twitter doesn't work for me either. Must be how Twitter encodes the emojis.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 09:03:56 PM by blumenkraft »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2020, 09:21:26 PM »
Test!

<snip>

Works for me. Perhaps it's the old iPad software, Sig. Can't you update it?

Edit: Just realized copy&paste from Twitter doesn't work for me either. Must be how Twitter encodes the emojis.

Weird.  And the same thing happens when I try to quote your emojis.

For various reasons, I am not updating software versions until I get a new tablet.  So I guess I’ll be deleting emojis, or attaching an image, unless another solution surfaces.

DungeonMaster

• Administrator
  • Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2020, 10:40:37 PM »
I'm afraid the Forum doesn't really support recent emojis, only quite old smileys... Supporting modern emojis is much more difficult than it should be. So, this is rather a confirmation that no enhancement is in sight...
This forum helps me to feel less uncomfortable about "doing something" about the melting Arctic and the warming world.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2020, 09:07:49 PM »
I'm afraid the Forum doesn't really support recent emojis, only quite old smileys... Supporting modern emojis is much more difficult than it should be. So, this is rather a confirmation that no enhancement is in sight...

Not unexpected.  Thanks for the reply.  Nice to know it’s not (entirely) my tablet’s fault when I must delete them.

At least I can still use arrows! ⬅️➡️⬇️⬆️  ;D

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 951
  • Likes Given: 1251
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2020, 02:05:29 PM »
Is there a way to link my forecast videos from the Nullschool thread to the Melting thread like I was able to do yesterday with an image from another thread? If it's possible with an image, there should be a way to do it with videos as well, no?
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

blumenkraft

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2020, 03:58:02 PM »
Sure! :)

Click the 'quote' button > Delete all the (user-generated) text inside the quote tags > copy what's left.

Like so:

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2020, 04:32:29 PM »
Sure! :)

Click the 'quote' button > Delete all the (user-generated) text inside the quote tags > copy what's left.

Like so:

I don't see a video in your message.
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

blumenkraft

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2020, 05:01:28 PM »
Oh, you want the link to the file. I thought you mean the link to the post. Sorry, my fault.

If you want to link the video file, right-click the video and click 'copy video link' (or whatever your browser's wording is).

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2020, 05:03:14 PM »
Oh, you want the link to the file. I thought you mean the link to the post. Sorry, my fault.

If you want to link the video file, right-click the video and click 'copy video link' (or whatever your browser's wording is).
I've tried that, and I can't seem to make it work.
I was looking on the Simple Machines website to look for a solution, and I think this forum needs this mod.

https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2681

WTF happened?

blumenkraft

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2020, 05:06:32 PM »
Have you put it into IMG tags?

Like so:

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2020, 05:09:33 PM »
Never change a winning forum!  ;)

Seconded!
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2020, 11:12:45 AM »
I was looking on the Simple Machines website to look for a solution, and I think this forum needs this mod.

This mod is already installed, I believe.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2020, 11:45:10 AM »

This mod is already installed, I believe.
I can't see behind the curtain, but I can see that the WYSIWYG editor doesn't have an icon for posting videos. If I remember correctly, it should be easy to add that one if it's available in the database software.

WTF happened?

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2020, 12:01:41 PM »
I forget the details, but for instance for Youtube videos, you just post the link without any tags, and then the video appears in the comment.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2020, 12:18:38 PM »
Yes, I've posted Youtube videos before, but I can't seem to find a way to do it with ASIF videos.

WTF happened?

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2020, 12:56:33 PM »
I don't think it's possible this way, because you can't link to the attachment, as it looks like this:

https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2905.0;attach=149110

It would have to end with .mp4 or some such. How about uploading it somewhere and then linking to it?
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2020, 01:24:00 PM »
I don't think it's possible this way, because you can't link to the attachment, as it looks like this:

https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2905.0;attach=149110

It would have to end with .mp4 or some such. How about uploading it somewhere and then linking to it?
I have tried to upload them to Youtube last season, but YT completely destroyed the quality, and I haven't found a good alternative yet...

Anyway... It's not a problem for me the way I'm doing it now. I upload them to the Nullschool thread, and I'll keep them to a minimum on the Melting thread. I just thought it would help BC with his data limit if I could upload them to the Nullschool thread, and then use a crosslink to the melting thread...

I could just post a normal link, but then people with average data limits would get in trouble as well because of the back to back videos on the Nullschool Thread.

Finding an alternative to store them would be helpful for your servers though...

WTF happened?

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2020, 02:40:17 PM »
If you'd upload them to something like Google Disk or Photos and then put the link in a comment without tags, it should play automatically because of the mod. As long as it ends in a playable extension like .avi, .mp4 etc.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2020, 12:54:48 PM »
For the sake of posters who are severely bandwidth-limited, either permanently or due to traveling, I wish the forum would have a software preference switch to avoid downloading attachments of certain kinds, or over certain sizes, or simply any attachments, enabling a manual download if so desired. Is there any chance such a switch can be found?

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 567
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2020, 10:06:27 PM »
For the sake of posters who are severely bandwidth-limited, either permanently or due to traveling, I wish the forum would have a software preference switch to avoid downloading attachments of certain kinds, or over certain sizes, or simply any attachments, enabling a manual download if so desired. Is there any chance such a switch can be found?
type simple machines forum in a search engine and browse through available plug ins. Make sure the plugin is compatible with our version of smf.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2020, 12:06:33 AM »
But is there a plugin for members being able to set such parameters for themselves? Admins can probably do such a thing - I think I have adjusted some stuff in the past - but this would then count for everybody. It is rather convenient for images and videos to be on display immediately, rather than having to click on them. Granted you have enough bandwidth, of course.

Or did I misinterpret your question, oren?
The enemy is within

E. Smith

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2020, 02:34:08 AM »
Indeed I meant some personal choice that would enable specific bandwidth-constrained users to avoid downloads. The forum works fine for most users.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2020, 06:18:40 AM »
when i am bandwidth constrained i use lynx from command line.

That said, it is possible with limited success to tell firefox not to do a)java(script) b) images c) style sheets d)video/audio ... and finally a losing game. I have not experimented with other browsers too much. Konqueror on KDE might do better.

Mostly i use lynx.

sidd

blumenkraft

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2020, 08:19:21 AM »
a)java(script)

Javascript :)

Java is something different. It's not that this is a script made with Java.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2020, 02:43:12 PM »
Another question to Neven, continuing the issue of trying to minimize data usage for users who are limited or must pay for data plans.*
GIFs require click to load when their width is over 700 pixels, but load automatically when the width is smaller. Is there a way to adjust this 700-pixel limit to a smaller number, say 300? Thus only very small GIFs will auto-load, leaving the user the choice of whether to load or not. It is slightly less convenient for users with unlimited data, but I think something being prohibitive for some users trumps a slight inconvenience for others.

*Bitter Note: In Israel you can get a cellular plan with unlimited voice+text and nearly unlimited data for roughly $6 a month. So if you can live with escalating overpopulation, fundamentalism and apartheid, this might be just the place.

blumenkraft

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2020, 03:23:15 PM »
I think the bigger problem is the MP4s which are auto-downloading even if bigger than 700px.

IMHO switching off the auto-download for those would have a way bigger impact on keeping data usage down.

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2020, 03:29:37 PM »
Would it be better if I post my graphics as gifs? That way they won't autoload, but the file size would be a lot bigger.

WTF happened?

blumenkraft

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2020, 03:43:58 PM »
Indeed, FG.

I recommended that some times before BTW.  :P  8)

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2020, 04:11:45 PM »
FG, are optimized GIFs much larger than mp4?
In any case, I would ask not to post mp4 in the main threads anymore, to enable access to users who wish not to download animations. You can continue posting mp4 in the Nullschool thread if you prefer, as that is a thread users can choose not to enter.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2020, 11:40:40 AM »
Another question to Neven, continuing the issue of trying to minimize data usage for users who are limited or must pay for data plans.*
GIFs require click to load when their width is over 700 pixels, but load automatically when the width is smaller. Is there a way to adjust this 700-pixel limit to a smaller number, say 300?

I've reduced it to 300. Let me know if it works.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2020, 12:22:13 PM »
on behalf of everyone lacking unlimited broadband , thank you Oren for your efforts and Neven for making the change . cheers ! b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2020, 12:30:07 PM »
GIFs require click to load when their width is over 700 pixels, but load automatically when the width is smaller. Is there a way to adjust this 700-pixel limit to a smaller number, say 300?

It works - but my .png images have shrunk as well - will make the text in many unreadable
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

uniquorn

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2163
  • Likes Given: 388
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2020, 12:32:04 PM »
I like this a lot. Many of my animations are small pixel size and lose quality with enlargement or compression to mp4.
Once it goes over 100 frames though, gif is not very practical, even when small. GIMP optimisation only works well when most of the image is static with few colours. ezgif optimisation doesn't 'unoptimise' well so animations can't be reworked effectively.

Re: gerontocrat's png's - the good side is that 4 large images on the melting thread no longer take up acres of space. It only takes one click to enlarge and shrink.
by the way, I think 580 pixels width is the limit to keep the image in frame without opening another window
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 12:38:13 PM by uniquorn »

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2020, 02:09:38 PM »
With my tired eyes I find the new thumbnails to be too small. Did not realize the GIF limit would be the thumbnail limit. Maybe an increase back to 400 will be better?

Gerntocratis#1

« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2020, 03:25:21 PM »
With my tired eyes I find the new thumbnails to be too small. Did not realize the GIF limit would be the thumbnail limit. Maybe an increase back to 400 will be better?

Yes absolutely! Please increase it back...

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2020, 03:32:59 PM »
I changed all my images to fit to 700 x 700 max when I realised the number of views on images above that were small to zero.

It will be interesting to see how many people will not be bothering to click to view the full-size images.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

uniquorn

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2163
  • Likes Given: 388
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2020, 04:02:10 PM »
If they are people.

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2020, 04:48:40 PM »
gerontocrat, I will mostly only click on the graphs and not every day but I very much appreciate your efforts and views. Your views give me a quick interpretation of interesting situations.

uniquorn, I think sometimes that even some active ASIF forum members may be A.I. bots.
How would one know whether it's a human or not behind that name?
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2020, 06:48:37 PM »
If you reduce the "Width of Video Player Elements", would that have the same effect on Mp4's? Or would they still autoload? Because my GIFs are rather large, and thus take up a lot of server space. But if you guys are ok with that, I am too!

WTF happened?