Please support this Forum and Neven's Blog

Author Topic: Top climate-friendly actions  (Read 3026 times)

Paddy

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
Top climate-friendly actions
« on: August 22, 2016, 01:49:34 PM »
If you could put together a top X list of ways to walk the walk, as a general call to arms / summary of good ideas, what would they be?  Here's mine (it worked out as Top 6, but the number is not fixed)

1) Reduce meat and dairy consumption.
2) Plan to have fewer children later
3) Reduce personal fossil fuel consumption, in particular, cycling and walking when you can
4) Reduce what you consume otherwise, reusing, recycling, etc. where possible
5) Source whatever you consume more sustainably
6) Vote, campaign, and generally speak up more for the policy changes that we need

GeoffBeacon

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Top climate-friendly actions
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 02:50:37 PM »
Paddy

1) Especially avoid food derived from ruminants (cattle, sheep, goats &etc) ( See No beef)

2)That's the past for me.

3) Yes. and don't fly, don't use cars except in emergencies.

4) I'm suspicious of most recycling schemes. I'd be pleased to see a thread to explore this. My attempt on No bottles had entries

• Plastic better than recycling glass
  • Bottles reused in Denmark
  • Burning plastic better than recycling?
and

A prayer of commitment

NoBottles has heard of a plan to dispose of bottles at sea. The authors of the plan believe (as we do) that recycling glass by grinding bottles into small particles, melting them and reforming them into new bottles creates too much carbon dioxide pollution. Their plans are currently stalled for legal reasons but they have sent us the prayer they hope to use in the burial at sea.

Dear Lord, we commit these bottles born of the fire of global
warming to the damaged deep to become homes for your
wondrous creations under the waves.

These mortal remains will be snached from the evil recyclers
who would grind them into dust before melting them in great
furnaces to repeat the evil of their birth.

Dear Lord, make us respectful of your great works and drink
our wine from Tetrapaks.

5) Yes. But we need more information -- better than The Green Ration Book

6) One policy change would be to establish research programs to create sustainable lifestyles with low carbon emissions. Attempts I have looked at have been pathetic. (See Three failed eco-towns)

Paddy, I hope this doesn't depress you as much as it depresses me.

Il faut cultiver notre cité-jardin
The Sustainable Plotlands Association

Paddy

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 06:29:08 PM »
Fair comment, all round - although I'd read that some recycling, eg aluminium, is actually very efficient, and I've seen a number of schemes for turning bottles into other useful things (generally involving finding uses for ground glass). And the topic doesn't depress me - I work in healthcare, so I'm all too acquainted with there being limits on what I can do to fix problems.

Anything you'd add to the list?

Tor Bejnar

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 07:18:04 PM »
  • Vote appropriately, and advocate others do the same.
  • Lower  your carbon footprint AKA Spend as little money as you can! 
    This includes the "99 things you can do to save the planet" concept. 
    Here are 9 "R"s and 2 "S"s: reduce, reuse, recycle, repurpose, repair, refuse (do without), rot (compost), recover, rethink, share, and source locally.
  • Support organic farmers, and other small acreage farmers/gardeners (especially local ones).
  • Support (financially and volunteering/working for) climate friendly advocating organizations.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things.

Dundee

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 05:11:57 AM »
These are U.S. specific, and may or may not be an issue elsewhere. In no particular order:

Stop putting crap (unless it was before composting, literally crap) on your lawn. It doesn't stay there, the lawn doesn't need it, and when it comes to cases, you don't need the lawn.

Use your clothes, shoes, and home furnishings until they wear out, not until they bore you or are out of fashion. You can afford it, the world cannot.

Ditto for your car, unless you truly need it, and the new one is, say, at least a third more efficient.

Don't eat beef. Eat less meat.

Raise your children to understand the meaning of having "enough." This is a pretty odd concept in our culture, but "enough" turns out to be a lot less than you think.

More learning, less believing. You can't argue with a belief, and the most closely held ones are often the most harmful and the most wrong. If you don't know, find out. Once you know, you don't need to fall back on belief.

A vacation needn't involve an aircraft, or even a car (my longest by bicycle was only 2,000km, but I hiked 3,500km a few years ago).

If you need to get in a car to go running, cycling, or to work out, you are doing something seriously wrong.

Insulate your home. Insulate it again and install decent windows.

LEDs are not your enemy

Bruce Steele

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 05:16:45 PM »
Many of us here on the forum are men past our child rearing age. Some of us never had a child and at this point  decisions on procreation are largely advice to someone else. Our chances of extensive involvement in the modern medical system however tend to increase rapidly as we approach our expiration date.
I am beginning to wonder about the energy and effort that society invests into those last 10 to 20 years . These thoughts are partly based on personal experience and what passes as good advice from my doctor. My doctor tends to think the old drugs I take ( digitalis )are dated and I should move on to modern and much pricier options. He also thinks I should consider a modern operation that "might" improve my chances of living longer. Although the odds probably support his view the  monetary costs of  jumping into the deep end of the medical system are in my opinion energy costs although nobody in the medical system seems to consider them such.
 So I will take the little ( and big ) clues my heart sends me as advice about my lifestyle ( and risk ) choices. I will try to maintain a very active life , eat better, balance advice from holistic doctors with the advice I get from the modern medical system . I get the feeling my doctor doesn't like my hardheaded adherence to what has worked for the 35 years I have been dealing with heart issues.
I will stick to digitalis as  a working and inexpensive option and when things get very bad I won't be taking on a pacemaker .
 I am only using my personal experience as an example but I think it applies to larger questions about the energy and cost of modern  medications and operative procedures. In the end I will lose this battle.
 Just thought the subject was somewhat more relevant here than procreation choices.

Paddy

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 05:39:39 PM »
@Bruce,

Do you have a power of attorney and advanced care plan in place? The really resource-intensive bits of healthcare can often be averted with a plan in place to say whether or not, for example, you would wish to be kept alive in ICU should things go wrong. Much costlier, on the whole, than ablations and pacemakers.

Bruce Steele

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 06:59:32 PM »
Paddy, thanks for the advice. I had to deal with DNR's for my parents so I get your point. Will do ASAP
 I was only using my example as a discussion point about the larger trends in modern healthcare , cost and energy.
The legal system is of course part and parcel of problems in the medical system. Lawyers aren't a big percentage of our followers I would guess.
 I wonder about holistic medicine and it's applicability to reducing the energy / cost issues. Are we better off or worse off in training and testing it's applicability . I would think just costs alone will crush modern medicine if and when the wheels start coming off this train. How well are we preparing our society for that eventuality?

TerryM

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 11:50:08 PM »
Bruce

Poignant thoughts my friend.

With a brother in law in his mid 60's who recently sired a new little nephew, I appreciate your not so subtle distinction between child rearing as opposed to the fathering of children by old men.

~15 years ago extreme costs were incurred to keep this old shell running, and since that time my medical upkeep has been both expensive and extensive. I'd never taken account of the carbon expended.

Thanks
Terry

budmantis

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 03:36:17 PM »
There are several references on this thread about staying away from beef. While I stay away from feedlot beef and beef treated with antibiotics and growth hormone, I thought "grass fed" beef was okay. 

ghoti

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 04:58:33 PM »
Grass fed beef are massive methane producers. If they only produced CO2 then they be closer to "net zero" since all the carbon would be sourced from CO2 fixed via photosynthesis. Unfortunately methane is such a potent GHG that in the short term at least  even grass fed beef is way less than optimal.

sidd

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 05:14:20 PM »
1)eat less meat
2)if you must eat beef, get it from a pasture raised or free range source. Preferably from a local farmer known to you. Eating feedlot meat abets animal torture.

Paddy

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 08:47:49 PM »
@Bruce,

I should really not have limited that advice to avoiding the most excessive treatment, but also talked about other key strategies to do with staying out of hospital as much as possible; such as to stay physically, socially, and mentally active, while also staying safe. And the whole not drinking to excess, not smoking etc.

anotheramethyst

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 09:38:11 AM »
Paddy

4) I'm suspicious of most recycling schemes. I'd be pleased to see a thread to explore this. My attempt on No bottles had entries

• Plastic better than recycling glass
  • Bottles reused in Denmark
  • Burning plastic better than recycling?
and

A prayer of commitment

NoBottles has heard of a plan to dispose of bottles at sea. The authors of the plan believe (as we do) that recycling glass by grinding bottles into small particles, melting them and reforming them into new bottles creates too much carbon dioxide pollution. Their plans are currently stalled for legal reasons but they have sent us the prayer they hope to use in the burial at sea.

Dear Lord, we commit these bottles born of the fire of global
warming to the damaged deep to become homes for your
wondrous creations under the waves.

These mortal remains will be snached from the evil recyclers
who would grind them into dust before melting them in great
furnaces to repeat the evil of their birth.

Dear Lord, make us respectful of your great works and drink
our wine from Tetrapaks.

5) Yes. But we need more information -- better than The Green Ration Book

6) One policy change would be to establish research programs to create sustainable lifestyles with low carbon emissions. Attempts I have looked at have been pathetic. (See Three failed eco-towns)

Paddy, I hope this doesn't depress you as much as it depresses me.

I refuse to believe plastic is better for the environment than glass.  I grew up on the ocean and I saw directly what plastic does to the environment.  Burning plastic is basically burning oil.  Is recycling glass better than making new glass?  Then we should do it.  Also, you can reuse glass many times before it breaks.  I reuse all kinds of glass containers.  Once upon a time, people used to turn in old bottles for a tiny deposit.  Those bottles got reused.  Why not start that again?  Even if new glass is more efficient than recycling glass, you actually can throw glass bottles in the ocean without any ill effects, and tiny sea glass will wash up on shore and get collected by kids and crafters everywhere, along with the seashells.  Plastic, on the other hand, is creating giant islands of plastic rotating in gyres in the ocean.  More plastic washes on every beach, every day, killing fish, birds, and seaturtles.  I have seen all this personally.  We used to have a big cookout once a year and the whole town would clean all the trash off the beach.  Literally, the very next day, it looked exactly as trashed as if we had never been there.  This is a virgin, undeveloped stretch of beach that you can only reach by boat or by a 40 mile offroad drive in a 4 wheel drive truck still in danger of getting stuck in the sand.  All that trash came directly from the ocean, not from beachgoers.  The weirdest stuff would wash up, syringes, tons of bottles, 10 foot long lightbulbs (unbroken???!!! still a mystery to me, years later.  I saw them all the time, far back in the dunes, probably transported during storms).  Shoes, nets, drums, fishing line, huge mats of streamers with asiatic writing on them.  All kinds of plastic bags.  Tarps.  You name it and I'm sure if it's made of plastic it's washed up on a beach somewhere. 

Paddy

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 12:11:25 AM »
I'd just like to link here to a good article on the issues with and limitations of ethical consumerism: https://qz.com/920561/conscious-consumerism-is-a-lie-heres-a-better-way-to-help-save-the-world/

Clare

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 11:41:00 PM »
Thanks Paddy, this is an excellent essay & made me think.
I will continue with my other efforts of reusing & buying mostly used things of course, but have to accept they alone wont make much if any difference!

But this prompted me & I have made a start with what I know is only a modest push back today by complaining (& why) to my supermarket chain for selling British pork here in NZ and at a lower price per kilo than the local NZ pork!

Clare

Martin Gisser

• ASIF Citizen
  • alias Mars Joh. P. Florifulgurator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 09:25:12 PM »
0) Punish those who spread antiscientific bullshit.

Recent example: Cancel your NYTimes subscription and tell them why (hiring Bret Stephens).
If you don't have one, you still can like and share Stefan Rahmstorf's FB post.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1314781445254775&id=100001687960349&comment_id=1314813988584854
Why is the earth silent at this destruction? (Martin Heidegger ca. 1937)

etienne

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2017, 08:21:56 AM »
Medical issues are very complicated. In my family, most people die from cancer or from Alzheimer, the others have a stroke and a few just die because they are so old. So, should I try to avoid and heal cancer ? I am not concerned yet, but it is a really complicated. Well, they all died above 75, so I not so worried yet.

Sometimes I have the feeling that suggested preventive of healing treatments are more related to machines available than to the real needs.

For me, the most important thing is to reduce my needs and to be active locally. We do for example a lot of car sharing to drive kids around to their different activities.

There is a funny thing about plastic recycling in Luxembourg. It is mainly used as fuel to burn the trash, so whether you put plastic in the trash or in the recycling bin, it ends at the same place. Just that the recycling bin is free of charge.

Best regards,

Etienne

vigilius

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2017, 09:04:10 PM »
Well, gosh, I really do not know what to ask.

I came by this way with the notion of trying to find out if there was some legitimate way of buying carbon offsets that was not just a way of greenwashing.

After reading the threads I am coming to the conclusion that such a notion would be akin to trying to buy indulgences from Martin Luther.

So I guess I really cannot fly anywhere anymore?

Please do not think I am being flippant, there really are a couple of things left I meant to do, bucket list sorts of things, things that involve flying. I am sincerely conflicted. OTOH I went to Leipzig twice just for the sake of Bach, I guess that means I really did not care that much about Versailles and the Louvre. I guess I have already made my choice? And have been sensationally lucky to have seen what I already saw? And heard what I already heard? Good grief, I got to hear a recital on the organ at Naumburg! And a recital at the Ludgerikirche in Norden on the 1685 Schnitger Organ! Oh, and I am not even mentioning the recital at the Dom Merseburg!

And now that I have listened to myself I am remembering the liability the rich nations have towards the folks who contributed nothing to the CO2 emissions that are now in the process of destroying their lives. Their countries. And here I am complaining about how I can't take one more plane trip to Europe? I must be a real piece of crap if I am thinking like that. If I got to hear Liszt and Bach at the Dom Merseburg I guess I can die a happy camper and not worry about how I never got to the Louvre.

And BTW by American standards I am not even what they call "rich."

Paddy

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2017, 11:29:10 PM »
I don't know much about buying offsets, but another option might be to offset a flight by eating less red meat, driving less, etc...

Bruce Steele

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2017, 09:44:43 PM »
I saw this review of a book called "Drawdown" by Paul Hawkin over at Scribbler.

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2017/5/10/15589038/top-100-solutions-climate-change-ranked

It has a list of peer reviewed studies that are affordable and scaleable and ranks those solutions on how they contribute to drawdown , that point where CO2 begins to drop in the atmosphere.
1) Refridgerate Management
2) onshore wind turbines
3) reduced food waste
4) plant rich diet
5) tropical forests
6) educating girls
7) family planning
8) solar farms
9) silvopasture
10) rooftop solar

So yes reducing meat consumption is one of the top four right after reducing food waste but maybe
Terry should start a thread on how "Refridgerate management " and the increase in air-conditioners is a problem and the top climate friendly technological fix that can affordably change our current trajectory.

Hawkins is planning a new book on the same subject. A few suggestions from the peanut gallery would be a switch to low methane rice culture and diet supplements to reduce methane in cattle and
ruminants.
 I have personally adopted some of the top ten list and I think others on the list are things I can incorporate as a farmer. It is interesting to me that farmers , ranchers and foresters are all occupations that can help society adapt to our collective future. It is also painfully apparent that we are underrepresented in this forum and probably underrepresented in solutions dialogs that should more effectively target this segment of the worlds population.
 Here is a blog site that talks about silvoculture is a "boots on the ground" kind of way. The law is making climate solution impossible for farmers. So maybe some rethinking the food safety issues with a consideration for climate solutions should be a higher motivation for government planners?  It is so easy to put a boot on someone else's neck and feel good about it when priorities are confused . So little time to get this right.
https://elizapples.com/tag/silvopasture/

farmer

wili

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2017, 11:35:04 PM »
Again, good discussion. And that's a nice list, but note:

It's 'Refrigerant Management' not "Refrigerate Management."

Mostly that is going to come from legislation and decisions by managers of factories and other large facilities.

Same with windfarms.

So that leaves food waste and avoiding meat and dairy as the top two things that individuals can easily and immediately control. In fact, they are the only things in the whole list that everyone can start implementing immediately at no cost.

So yeah, I'd say they are a pretty important message to get out there to as many people as possible as fast as possible, and that if one cares about GW, they shouldn't be on the side that is belittling or pooh-pooh-ing reduced meat and dairy diets, or vegetarianism and veganism.

wrt Paddy's link...those kinds of articles always seem to pick on a couple of things that some people might think are making a difference that really aren't...but really, most anyone who thought about those things for a couple minutes would/should be able to figure them out.

The takeaway for me is the somewhat throwaway line: "Beyond making big lifestyle decisions such as choosing to live in a dense urban area with public transportation, cutting red meat out of your diet, and having fewer children (or none at all), there are diminishing returns ..."

They left out cutting back on or giving up flying, but otherwise, those are exactly the kinds of big changes that should be emphasized, rather than dismissed. But yeah, activism and pushing at institutional changes is always the most important.

But the line: " drains our bank accounts and our political will, diverts our attention away from the true powerbrokers, and focuses our energy instead on petty corporate scandals and fights over the moral superiority of vegans" is just full of problems.

Almost none of the lifestyle changes I do 'drain my bank account.' That's just stupid. Anything you buy that you didn't have to buy is going to be eco-stupid and anyone who doesn't know this is equally stupid.

I think I have enough 'attention' that I can learn about a farm bill while still eating mostly locally. Can't everyone? Doesn't paying attention to what you eat and where it comes from make you even more aware and concerned about those issues?

And of course the final jab at vegans is just totally gratuitous, especially after saying that one of the three absolutely most important decisions one can make is to give up meat (do they not realize that cheese is also quite carbon-intense?).

I don't see people who are choosing to live actually living simple lives that lower their carbon footprints to near or below sustainable levels writing screeds sneering at activists for doing more harm than good (probably because, contrary to what this article implies, most of them are also themselves activists). Why make this into some kind of binary? It smacks to me of defensiveness and rationalization, by and large. But maybe I'm missing something?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 12:44:38 AM by wili »
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Bruce Steele

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2017, 12:46:48 AM »
Wili, I woundn't be here at all if it weren't for spellcheck but in spite of my challenges with English ( my one language ) I still surprise myself with some well written posts. I am not a teacher.
 I can't quite figure if you are trying to pick a fight but you should note that silvoculture involves raising animals and planting trees. This list is inclusive and not exclusive , you can't get to drawdown without including every step. I hope you realize we are struggling together here. If it makes you happier I have given up on beef . I would like to eat it , I like how it tastes ,but I think the carbon costs are too high.
 I think the important message in " Drawdown " is the acknowledgement that technological solutions will not be adequate to achieve a peak and decline in CO2. No silver bullets. Six of the ten solutions are not technological.
 I'm going to let the pooh - poohing pass although I think it is intended as a slight.

ps, you changed your post so I am going to go back and review article to try and find where you took offense.
Pig farmer - treeplanter

« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 12:56:52 AM by Bruce Steele »

wili

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2017, 01:53:57 AM »
No, sorry, not meaning to sound combative, certainly not with you.  :)

I do find that on most forums, when issues about reducing meat consumption come up, even otherwise concerned, informed and well intentioned people often get quite irrationally defensive, and frequently rudely dismissive about vegetarianism, veganism and even the mere notion that reducing meat intake is something they should even remotely be considering.

I have generally not seen these extreme reactions here, and I was happy to see that in both your and in Paddy's linked articles, eating less meat was given some prominence. The message does seem to be spreading, though sometimes in a rather backhanded kind of way. But I guess back hands are better than no hands at all!  ;D
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

TerryM

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2017, 02:47:31 AM »
Bruce
I appreciated your links - actually lost a few hours tracing leads and links. Good stuff, but as an apartment dwelling consumer of, as opposed to a producer of foodstuff, I found little that related to my situation.
WRT silvopasture, I've probably mentioned in the past that a large number of free range hogs hid out in the oak forests near Buellton, ancestors of animals released during the depression when farmers couldn't afford to feed them. The lean, acorn flavored meat was a wonder, although the hunters that I knew hunted at night using bow and arrow, to stay ahead of TPTB.
Not everyone is capable of chasing hounds, drawing 100# bows, or dressing the kill. Having a person with such skills as a friend however is within everyone's capability.
WRT Refrigerant Management or Refrigerate Management, the linked article seemed to be addressing the want's and needs of the 3d world countries whose populace yearn to emulate 1st world lifestyles. That's a tough nut to crack!
The shortcuts that I've used in the heat of the Mojave desert all require access to water, and sometimes people willing to forgo the advantages of chilled air when conditions of extreme humidity occur, (not often fortunately in the desert). Unfortunately the situation in India where, as I understand it, the high temperatures are matched with high humidity, rendering most of my solutions as unworkable.
In Canada, for some time, air conditioning during summer, uses more electricity than heating during the winter. The situation in India, with AGW heating things even further, seems unsolvable without a huge die off - the exact thing we're trying to dodge.
How can moral people, comfortable during all seasons, ask have nots to swelter for the good of the world?
Requiring AC systems to be built using parts and systems that are maintainable, replaceable, and that have a reasonable lifespan, might be a start. The last three heat pumps I've purchased all failed because of a very cheap fan motor, in two cases the motors didn't even have oil ports to allow proper maintenance. A motor costing perhaps a dollar more would have doubled the working life of the units even if no maintenance was performed. Two of these units were manufactured in China, the third in Germany.
In small units like these the refrigerant is unlikely to be saved, they end up in landfills and the gas eventually escapes. What an unconscionable waste.
If this is the situation in Canada and the US, I can only imagine what's being sold to the poor in India. Few technicians, iffy power sources, and units designed to fail the day after the warranty expires. A recipe for disaster.

Terry

Bruce Steele

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2017, 08:14:17 AM »
I am always caught up by regulations as a deterrent to resonable climate friendly choices. I got pigs because I hated composting slightly blemished fruits and vegetables. I figured feeding pigs was a more appropriate use for vegetables and I got my farm insurance policy cancelled as a consequence. So I had to choose between vegetables and pigs to get a new policy.
 My pigs are best for Charcuterie but health and safety regulations for Charcuterie result in restaurants either cheating or forgoing curing meats. The temperatures required by USDA isn't ideal for the best results either. I cure  at home but I can't sell what I produce. Salt is far more climate friendly than CFC's but freezers and cold rooms are de rigor .
 I am planting oak trees in a silvopasture plan because planting fruit trees results in fruit I can't sell. I have figured out how to make biodiesel but collecting restaurant grease requires permits and special equipment , or it did when I was using kitchen grease. I am now using lard as a feedstock and plan on using the bio produced in my farm equipment . I don't plan on looking too deeply into legalities.
 I have been processing acorns which also gets into legal issues other than for personal use. Restaurants pay about $50 for two pounds of acorn flour but I would need a commercial kitchen to make product for sale. Going through the legal channels for acorn production may be worth the trouble because there is only one commercial supplier in the U.S.
 So I live my life in two channels that are often in conflict. Those things I believe offer an alternative to energy demands of government regulations and those insured , taxed and inspected programs of a commercial operation. One will lead IMO to a planetary disaster and the other to the only future that people might live in harmony with our Planet.
 It is either or, and attempting both leads to a lot of inter conflict.

Clare

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2017, 07:20:26 AM »
It's midwinter down under and the ideal time for planting trees. We often have hot dry summers but planted now trees have 6 months to get established. This is one way I think I can make a bit of a contribution to reducing climate impacts. Otherwise it's hard not to just feel overwhelmed with the scale of the problems & get depressed.
Anyway today hubby & I joined about 80 others in planting 2200 trees & grasses at park they are developing, restoring a local estuarine wetland area.
http://www.hbrc.govt.nz/hawkes-bay/parks-trails-and-open-spaces/waitangi-regional-park/
Many hands made for an easy job, all planted in under 2 hours! I thought you might enjoy this short clip about the project:
https://youtu.be/gtOVGROyNJI

Clare

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2017, 07:23:09 AM »
And here's a link to a video of a dawn ceremony blessing 12 new pou being added to the celestial navigation compass being installed at this site.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay-today/video/news/video.cfm?c_id=1503454&gal_cid=1503454&gallery_id=177892

Sorry I'm not v good at inserting these links properly!

sidd

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2017, 10:44:43 PM »
Paper by Wynes on top individual climate friendly actions:

" ... having one fewer child (an average for developed countries of 58.6 tonnes CO 2 -equivalent (tCO 2 e) emission reductions per year), living car-free (2.4 tCO 2 e saved per year), avoiding airplane travel (1.6 tCO 2 e saved per roundtrip transatlantic flight) and eating a plant-based diet (0.8 tCO 2 e saved per year) ..."

I attach fig 1. paper is at :

http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/aa7541

doi:10.1088/1748-9326/aa7541

open access. read all about it.

sidd