Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Skeptics target climate sensitivity speculation as the basis to do nothing  (Read 5370 times)

CraigsIsland

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 25
Forbes article I read this morning:http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/03/29/climate-change-is-now-less-of-a-problem-so-we-need-to-do-less-about-climate-change/?view=pc

Skeptical Science putting Climate Sensitivity into context: http://www.skepticalscience.com/hausfather-economist-sense-of-sensitivity.html

I'm quite dumbfounded how people manage to pull money to doubt science with bad logic.

No wonder some scientists don't want to be out in the public sphere. Harsh.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 898
  • Likes Given: 87
We've also been discussing this over on the ASI blog.

Here's my own most recent contribution to "the debate" at The Economist, for all the good it will do.
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Stephen

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 0
We've also been discussing this over on the ASI blog.

Here's my own most recent contribution to "the debate" at The Economist, for all the good it will do.

That thread of posts was a depressing read.  Actually, Jim, I'm not sure if I found your post, the noise to signal ratio was just way too high.  That's what I usually find in any newspaper comments forum, so much nonsense repeated again and again that the intelligent stuff is buried under a mass of drivel.

~Sigh~  Once upon a time newspaper had editors and sub-editors who would sort the wheat from the chaff.
The ice was here, the ice was there,   
The ice was all around:
It crack'd and growl'd, and roar'd and howl'd,   
Like noises in a swound!
  Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge

dorlomin

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
10 years ago it was, "the satellites show no warming", "its the sun" and so on.

Now they tend to be all about "it has not yet exceeded the levels of the unusually strong el Nino 12 years ago, therefore as it is as warm as an el Nino we can all conclude there is no global warming".

Significant numbers of people, including some in power, deny the earth is more than a few thousand years old. Even more people deny that natural selection alone can produce complex life and so we need some kind of intervention.

Changes in the Arctic and changes to the jet stream are becoming harder and harder to explain away. They are now painted into a corner of being totally reliant on the whims of the physical world to maintain there positions.

Keep at them as the ice they have built their positions on slowly melts.
Take it for granted you are wrong.
Just try to work out what about and why.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 898
  • Likes Given: 87
Hi Stephen,

That thread of posts was a depressing read.  Actually, Jim, I'm not sure if I found your post, the noise to signal ratio was just way too high.

Unlike most of the noisy commenters over there at the moment I signed up for "the Economist online" many years ago. I was rather shy at the time, and hid behind the "SoulSurfer" moniker.

For my most recent musings on those depressing threads, you may wish to check out:

http://econnexus.org/the-economist-being-economical-with-the-truth-about-climate-change/
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

frankendoodle

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
Have you ever noticed that climate change skeptics have been using the same types of arguments against climate change that the supporters of The Iraq War used to validate/mitigate the invasion/occupation :)