Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Trump  (Read 1486624 times)

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: The Trump Presidency (was "Presidential Poll")
« Reply #950 on: January 23, 2017, 03:55:26 PM »
Donald Trump is a con man.  And like all good con men....he is a good "illusionist". It isn't the reality that Trump is concerned with now....it is the "perception."

Remember.....he HAS authority given to him.  But as I stated before....POWER is earned over time, and it can be LOST a LOT FASTER than it can be earned.

He has already started to lose the power he had earned.  And he will try to give the ILLUSION of support for him at all costs.  That's why he and his team came out so hard regarding the crowd numbers.  Because now his support looks somewhat weak compared to the women's march.

https://medium.com/@sarahcpr/this-is-psychological-warfare-dc5beb8dde54#.isuzeyszr

Everything is a SHOW with Trump....as it is in any con game.  If you saw the movie "The Sting" with Robert Redford and Paul Neman......they had to set up "the perception" in order to sucker the guy in and steal his money.

In Trump's con......he gives the PERCEPTION of incredible wealth (he's wealthy...but not NEARLY as wealthy as he says....and the tax returns would have shown that).  He also wants the PERCEPTION OF SUPPORT....even though it is NOT as strong as he says.  Everything is a con in Trump's world.....

Over the next year as his power slowly fades......it will be interesting to see how things unfold, and how he reacts.  Down the road MANY MONTHS....as some of the people around him begin to "bail"....that will also be "a tell" as to how quickly things are moving.  Interesting times....

FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: January 23, 2017, 05:26:33 PM »
I knew that Rubio would wuss out.  He has no backbone.  Just let it be known that when Rubio, McCain, and Lindsay Graham had a chance to vote against Russia (Tillerson).....THEY DIDN'T.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: January 23, 2017, 09:18:23 PM »
Sean Spicer and the Trump team are LYING again.  In his first "formal press briefing".....he picked up right where he left off......LYING.  Or....maybe their using "alternate facts"

It is an article of Republican faith since the New Deal that Democrats have expanded the federal workforce, but statistics do not bear this out, at least in recent years. According to this chart from the Office of Personnel Management, federal civilian employment was 2.094 million in 2009, President Barack Obama’s first year in office, and 2.079 million in 2014, the most recent year reported. Excluding the Department of Defense, the workforce remained almost exactly steady at 1.357 million.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/white-house-falsely-claims-recent-dramatic-expansion-of-the-federal-workforce-192109239.html

Again.....you have to remember that Trump is a PATHALOGICAL LIAR.  And the folks around him....aren't any better:  Spicer, Priebus, Conway, etc.  They will lie at the drop of a hat.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: January 24, 2017, 01:30:08 PM »
Humor has a way of highlighting things....especially things that are so incredibly outrageous.  Here, Seth Meyers has an extremely funny piece on Trump's first day:

As long as Trump's staff continues to make up their own "alternative facts".....they will continue to be mocked and made fun of.

Donald Trump's huge ego....lack of empathy.....and focus on himself......make the next 12 - 24 months for comedians, like shooting fish in a barrel.

Kellyanne Conway doesn't "get" what the Women's March was all about.  Maybe when the crowds GROW EVEN LARGER THIS SUMMER......she will start to "get it."

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #954 on: January 24, 2017, 02:07:04 PM »
That phrase will remain with us for a long time. "Alternative facts" .. The sophists of our times, but nowhere near clever.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: January 24, 2017, 03:07:50 PM »
Keep in mind that....as this summer approaches....AND.....EPA and global warming get more and more attention, that will bring another "level" of involvement, from ALL AGE GROUPS...but especially from younger voters from 18 - 30.

That is going to be a BIG SURPRISE to Comrade Trump.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: January 24, 2017, 04:46:43 PM »
First....the press starts to use "the L word" (LIAR).  This will take several more months for them to get used to calling out lies (instead of "mistakes"....or....."misspoke".....or....."inadvertently forgot").  But now Congressmen are now starting to get use the "L" word.

Remember....this is a nibbling away at his "power".  People who are liars....eventually don't have much power.  Especially when they are caught in blatant lies.

http://www.oregonlive.com/trending/2017/01/oregon_congressman_calls_donal.html#incart_most-read_

Again....this is a PROCESS...and will take 12 - 24 months.  But Donald is his own worst enemy.  the more he talks....the faster it will happen.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #957 on: January 24, 2017, 04:48:28 PM »
Trump's first approval ratings are in and they're not good.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/01/24/trump-just-got-his-first-approval-rating-as-president-and-its/21661230/

Extract: Only 45% of Americans approve of Trump's job performance over the first three days of his presidency, according to a Gallup survey released Monday. It's the first time a president has received an initial approval rating under 50% in the history of the poll, which dates back to Dwight Eisenhower's first term in 1953.

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #958 on: January 24, 2017, 05:54:46 PM »
I knew that Rubio would wuss out.  He has no backbone.  Just let it be known that when Rubio, McCain, and Lindsay Graham had a chance to vote against Russia (Tillerson).....THEY DIDN'T.

For Rubio this in some ways neuters his case for a 2020 presidential run against Pence.  Whoever visibly steps up to serve as the central point of resistance to the current admin, both on the GOP and Dem sides, will likely be considered front runners for party nominations.

It is a bit too soon on the GOP side, as doing that now would be considered betraying the GOP leadership mission to ram through their agenda, while they have the window.

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: January 24, 2017, 06:05:44 PM »
First....the press starts to use "the L word" (LIAR).  This will take several more months for them to get used to calling out lies (instead of "mistakes"....or....."misspoke".....or....."inadvertently forgot").  But now Congressmen are now starting to get use the "L" word.

Remember....this is a nibbling away at his "power".  People who are liars....eventually don't have much power.  Especially when they are caught in blatant lies.

http://www.oregonlive.com/trending/2017/01/oregon_congressman_calls_donal.html#incart_most-read_

Again....this is a PROCESS...and will take 12 - 24 months.  But Donald is his own worst enemy.  the more he talks....the faster it will happen.

The NYT actually had a front page headline today, "Trump Repeats an Election Lie to Top Lawmakers", regarding his 3 million vote loss and nonexistent fraud.  Progress.

The WAPO continues to use the term "whopper" and a childish "Pinocchio" scale for judging statements.  The non-conservative bubble media needs to call this stuff out for what it is, or the rise of alternative facts may be normalized.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: January 24, 2017, 08:32:44 PM »
If there are one or two people on this site that might STILL hold out hope......that The Donald really isn't THAT crazy.....and maybe he won't be THAT bad.

If his Darth Vader inaugural speech wasn't enough to show you he was missing a brick or two (or a WALL of bricks)......or if his reaction to the Women's March wasn't enough to sway you and show you just how thin skinned he is....

Or....if his HORRIBLE talk at the CIA where he "dribbled on endlessly about himself" wasn't enough to "push you over the edge" and realize that THIS IS ONE TROUBLED CAT....

THIS....should finally push you over the edge:

http://www.gq.com/story/trump-national-day-of-patriotic-devotion

This guy is just SOOOOOOOOOO sociopathic.  He is a ticking time bomb waiting to explode.  No wonder that Melania reacted the way she did during the inauguration when Donnie gave her the "stink eye" and said something upsetting:

Tick.....tick.....tick.....tick.....tick.....

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: January 25, 2017, 12:29:05 AM »
I would agree that there is much to ridicule and mock WRT to the new administration, especially if it gets under the "president's" skin.  But, as we knew with the cabinet picks and the actions now being taken, there is so much more to be concerned or even horrified about with what might be coming.  IMO, if the US is still intact in 10 years, I truly believe Trump will be seen as the biggest "own goal" in the country's history.

Good take here by Charles Pierce at Esquire

"It's been fun to point and laugh at the new administration. It's been fun to mock Sean Spicer's obvious discomfort at the podium, and to sit in awe at the obvious infighting within the White House this early in the game. But, while we're doing that, slowly and steadily, an actual government has been forming, and it is the most dangerously retrograde government that our system has produced in at least the past 150 years. It is secretive and it is resistant to any empirical information that it does not want to hear. It is grotesquely anti-science. It seeks to roll back progressive achievements dating back to Teddy Roosevelt and it has the power to do so, even if it is in its own bungling way. And it really hasn't gotten rolling yet."

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/news/a52535/trump-administration-dangerously-retrograde/

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: January 25, 2017, 12:52:16 AM »
....Hair standing up.......

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: January 25, 2017, 01:19:55 AM »
LMAO.......more mocking.  I'm crying I'm laughing so hard.......

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/triumph-the-insult-comic-dog-craps-and-pukes-on-trumps-inauguration_us_58876965e4b0e3a7356bc20c?

Very funny! Every time I remember that Trump is President, I want to barf too. As Pileus said in his post immediately following yours, what's happening is no laughing matter. But humor is very therapeutic in times like these. We laughed derisively during the campaign, we laugh now for stress relief.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: January 25, 2017, 01:29:24 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2017/01/24/trumps-emotional-tailspin-was-predictable/

Yuge ego!!! YUGE!!!! .... Implosion saga...

And this is the man with the nuclear launch codes. Great article Dr. T. Here's one from the BBC, some of this may have been covered already, but I think there's some new information as well.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38737713

Trump's voter fraud claim 'based on evidence'.

"President Donald Trump believes that millions of people voted illegally in the US election based on "studies and evidence", the White House has said. (No evidence was offered to support this claim.)

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: January 25, 2017, 01:32:27 AM »
LMAO.......more mocking.  I'm crying I'm laughing so hard.......

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/triumph-the-insult-comic-dog-craps-and-pukes-on-trumps-inauguration_us_58876965e4b0e3a7356bc20c?

Very funny! Every time I remember that Trump is President, I want to barf too. As Pileus said in his post immediately following yours, what's happening is no laughing matter. But humor is very therapeutic in times like these. We laughed derisively during the campaign, we laugh now for stress relief.

So true, if we can't laugh then we're really in trouble.  I've also found it helpful to be extremely selective on what news and reporting to consume.  Too much clicking on the latest shocking or regressive developmenst out of the WH or mouth of Trump, and it's easy to fall into a deep funk.
I haven't watched TV or cable news in years, which helps avoid triggering moments.  I'm trying to stay fully informed, but also cut back on the number of visits to internet news sites throughout the day.  It's pretty depressing, but we knew what the deal would be since election day.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #969 on: January 25, 2017, 02:32:18 AM »

"President Donald Trump believes that millions of people voted illegally in the US election based on "studies and evidence", the White House has said. (No evidence was offered to support this claim.)

While the public & the media focus on the rationality of such a claim; Trump is likely laying the groundwork for future voter suppression acts (say like a national registration card) to make sure that he gets re-elected in 2020.
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: January 25, 2017, 02:35:25 AM »

While the public & the media focus on the rationality of such a claim; Trump is likely laying the groundwork for future voter suppression acts (say like a national registration card) to make sure that he gets re-elected in 2020.

After 4 trumpastic years I don't know who in the Congress will be left as supporters...

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: January 25, 2017, 02:39:29 AM »

I agree WHOLEHEAREDLY with the piece. I also think that mocking and making fun of him IS PART OF THE PROCESS....because HE IS AN ILLIGITIMATE president.

I also know that his inner circle has ABSOLUTELY NO ETHICS.  NONE:

Trump:    Friends with Roger Ailes, Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity...enough said.
Conway:  She is lying SOS and her husband has been suing Bill Clinton for 20 years.
Priebus:  He's a lap dog.....he will do anything Trump says.
Bannon:  Hates Jews.....and he is the leader of Breitbart Fake News
Gingrich:  While no formal position.....he will do anything that Trump wants...especially when it comes to cutting back freedom of the press.

Some of the press outlets are beginning to get "clued in" as to the seriousness of this.  And as Trump continues to push forward....the yells and screams from the public will become louder.  It already started off much louder than I expected.

Trump is a pathological liar....and he is dangerous.  His ego knows no bounds...and he will do ANYTHING TO ENRICH HIMSELF.  ANYTHING.

At the end of the day.....his presidency will end in one of two ways:

1)  He'll be removed from office one way or another (resignation, impeach, etc)

OR

2)  This country will NOT be a place I want to be:  Freedom of speech reduced, freedom of press reduced, etc.

FOX News has been a FAKE NEWS channel for decades.  They are the FOUNDER of Fake News.

This has all the earmarks of getting very ugly.  As I said before....the march on the 21st was just the beginning.  If Trump tries to run the country as a dictator......the crowds will get enormous.

I expect that.  Again.....Trump's ego is too far gone......and he is a psychopath.  He has proved that just in the first 4 days in office.

What will the press do?  The real press....not the FAKE FOX press.

Strap in.....it is going to get wild...

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: January 25, 2017, 02:56:21 AM »

I agree WHOLEHEAREDLY with the piece. I also think that mocking and making fun of him IS PART OF THE PROCESS....because HE IS AN ILLIGITIMATE president.

I also know that his inner circle has ABSOLUTELY NO ETHICS.  NONE:

Trump:    Friends with Roger Ailes, Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity...enough said.
Conway:  She is lying SOS and her husband has been suing Bill Clinton for 20 years.
Priebus:  He's a lap dog.....he will do anything Trump says.
Bannon:  Hates Jews.....and he is the leader of Breitbart Fake News
Gingrich:  While no formal position.....he will do anything that Trump wants...especially when it comes to cutting back freedom of the press.

Some of the press outlets are beginning to get "clued in" as to the seriousness of this.  And as Trump continues to push forward....the yells and screams from the public will become louder.  It already started off much louder than I expected.

Trump is a pathological liar....and he is dangerous.  His ego knows no bounds...and he will do ANYTHING TO ENRICH HIMSELF.  ANYTHING.

At the end of the day.....his presidency will end in one of two ways:

1)  He'll be removed from office one way or another (resignation, impeach, etc)

OR

2)  This country will NOT be a place I want to be:  Freedom of speech reduced, freedom of press reduced, etc.

FOX News has been a FAKE NEWS channel for decades.  They are the FOUNDER of Fake News.

This has all the earmarks of getting very ugly.  As I said before....the march on the 21st was just the beginning.  If Trump tries to run the country as a dictator......the crowds will get enormous.

I expect that.  Again.....Trump's ego is too far gone......and he is a psychopath.  He has proved that just in the first 4 days in office.

What will the press do?  The real press....not the FAKE FOX press.

Strap in.....it is going to get wild... The

Grabs popcorn and lots of booze.....

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: January 25, 2017, 03:36:37 AM »
J Buchanan will appear a wild success story after the Trumper is done..

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: January 25, 2017, 03:40:53 AM »
- PROGRAMMING ALERT -

WHITE HOUSE PRESS SECRETARY SEAN SPICER APPEARS ON 'HANNITY' AT 10 PM ET ON FOX NEWS CHANNEL

Alt facts galore.....

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #975 on: January 25, 2017, 06:15:46 AM »
Grabs popcorn and lots of booze.....

Especially the booze!

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: January 25, 2017, 12:41:26 PM »
If you look back at my posts from a couple weeks ago....you'll see that I said he will use FOX to promote his agenda.  Expect that to CONTINUE....almost to exclusivity.

FOX has lied for decades.....so this will continue to be his "go to site" for him AND his cabinet and pundits (perhaps some of you now understand why I have CONSTANTLY railed against FOX).  On the print side....he has the New York Post who is owned by his son-in-law....and he has the Enquirer which is controlled by a friend of Trump's.

Controlling the media will be a BIG DEAL in coming DAYS and WEEKS.  It is also a big deal for his EGO.  He is the "big bad white boy"......and I expect BBWB to stick out his chest in coming days.  I would NOT be surprised to see a press delivery OR short speech to the country of some kind (WITHOUT QUESTIONS of course) by him.  Maybe just a 5 minute speech/press delivery...of "this is what we're going to do...just as I said I was going to do".  "Get in line or get of the way/country" type of speech.  I do NOT put that past him.   He has already threatened to "send the feds into Chicago".

Over the next week or so....we'll see what the reaction is from Congress.  We know what the Democrats will do.  What we don't know is what the few moderate Republicans and libertarians will do:  Lindsay Graham, McCain, Rand Paul, etc.  So far...they have been a disappointment......but what will happen when they realize that "this guy" is crazy and he wants to be "dictator like".

Those moderate Republicans is where rubber meets the road.  And over the coming days/weeks....Trump will try to "create" opportunities for him to expand his powers.  And he will push the envelope on pursuing those things.

At what point do the moderate Republicans say...."you can't do that."  We will no doubt find out in the coming days and weeks.

Crazy times.......but my marching boots are ready. ;) 

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: January 25, 2017, 01:03:40 PM »
I'm also VERY PROUD of the Oregon senators:  Ron Wyden and Jeff Merkley.  BOTH are VERY GOOD PEOPLE...and very good senators.  Oregon is lucky to have them....sure wish we had representation like that in Georgia.

Watch Merkley below in the recent hearing for the OMB head:

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: January 25, 2017, 01:53:15 PM »
Upcoming events.....where "quiet resistance" may take place in the next few months:

(1)  Academy Awards:  Meryl Streep was  nominated for her 20th academy award, this time for best actress.  My money is on HER to win it this year.  And all eyes and ears will be on what she says during her acceptance speech IF she were to win.

(2)  White House Correspondents Dinner:  Some time in April.  Usually....this is a "star studded" event with a LOT of actors/actresses/athletes, etc.  I don't expect to see many "A list stars" at the event this year.  And the tone of the event will be much different than usual.

(3)  NBA champions at the White House?  I'm rooting for the San Antonio Spurs.  If they WERE to win it all....don't expect to see them at the White House, at least not the head coach:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/gregg-popovich-rips-the-thin-skinned-donald-trump-and-the-presidents-media-arm-020219008.html

They are only about 60% done with the season....so that will take a few months.

The types of things above WILL DRIVE TRUMP CRAZY.  He's used to the Trump organization where everyone is required to kiss his ass.  The above is just more of his "power" being taken away from him.  And that is why "crowd size" was such a big deal to him.  He HATES that Obama's crowd at the inauguration was so much bigger than his....and he doesn't want to admit it...AND...doesn't want people to think that (thus...alternative facts).  Obama has no AUTHORITY NOW....but he STILL HAS A LOT OF POWER.  And I expect him to use that power in the coming weeks and months WHEN Trump oversteps his bounds.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: January 25, 2017, 04:19:30 PM »
I hope he (Obama) does. He may have had his shortcomings, but he did bring a level of rationality and civility to the office.

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: January 25, 2017, 04:45:48 PM »
So Trump is demanding an investigation into the voter "fraud" that resulted in him losing the popular vote by 3 million.  Further down the rabbit hole we go.

My primary concern prior to Trump taking the oath of office was the US would have a president whose thinking and beliefs are largely guided by conspiracy theories (much more than Nixon). We are seeing this in action every day.  It's simply not sustainable and will not end well for Trump, let alone the US.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #981 on: January 25, 2017, 04:56:54 PM »
So Trump is demanding an investigation into the voter "fraud" that resulted in him losing the popular vote by 3 million.  Further down the rabbit hole we go.

My primary concern prior to Trump taking the oath of office was the US would have a president whose thinking and beliefs are largely guided by conspiracy theories (much more than Nixon). We are seeing this in action every day.  It's simply not sustainable and will not end well for Trump, let alone the US.

Trump promises that depending on the results of the investigation, he will tighten-up on voting requirements, i.e. he will engage in voter suppression.
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: January 25, 2017, 05:13:13 PM »
If I were given the opportunity to read ONLY 1 BOOK IN MY LIFETIME....it would be this:

"The Seven Powers Of Questions."

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0399526145/ref=x_gr_w_glide_bb_sout?ie=UTF8&tag=x_gr_w_glide_bb_sout-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0399526145&SubscriptionId=1MGPYB6YW3HWK55XCGG2

It will help you get through the current crisis we are now going through (that of global warming......and deal with "Trumpers" (as long as he is in office).

There are times when dealing with Trolls that the best way to deal with them is TO ASK THEM SPICIFIC QUESTIONS.  Questions demand answers.  Just as Senator Merkley asked the OMB nominee about crowd size.....

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000587114

QUESTIONS.....and GRAPHICS are powerful tools in uncovering AND showing THE TRUTH.

It is a book about COMMUNICATION...and how to use questions in communicating, and is useful in your business life, your personal life, or your public life.  A great read...and extremely useful.

logicmanPatrick

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • The Chatter Box
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #983 on: January 25, 2017, 06:19:13 PM »
Whatever news I read, from whatever media, from whatever country, apart from the Daily Mail: an overwhelming majority of comments are anti-Trump.  Here's a gem from the Washington Post comments

Ex.Politico
4:54 PM GMT [Edited]
Fascist Nation Checklist - Self-Test #1

Does your head of state use the investigative power of the central government for self-aggrandizement and as a weapon to silence political opposition?
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: January 26, 2017, 06:21:12 AM »
The immigration executive orders are the reddest of the red meat for Trump's base.  Here's what el presidente de Mexico thinks of payment arrangements:

"Mexico does not believe in walls. I've said time again; Mexico will not pay for any wall"

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/25/politics/mexico-president-donald-trump-enrique-pena-nieto-border-wall/

What tweets will we wake up to tomorrow?  "Oh yes you will pay!", or maybe more delusions about non-existent voter fraud, or something about keeping Muslims out.

Keep up with that rage, and have another 3-piece KFC meal, extra biscuit with plenty of butter.  He already looks worn out in most of the latest pics. 

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: January 26, 2017, 08:48:26 AM »
Keep up with that rage, and have another 3-piece KFC meal, extra biscuit with plenty of butter.  He already looks worn out in most of the latest pics.

That heart attack cant come soon enough as far I'm concerned, even if it means four years of Mike Pence as President. I was wondering today of what leverage (if any), Trump could use to get Mexico to pay for all or part of the expense in building the wall. Any ideas?

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: January 26, 2017, 09:30:29 AM »

That heart attack cant come soon enough as far I'm concerned, even if it means four years of Mike Pence as President. I was wondering today of what leverage (if any), Trump could use to get Mexico to pay for all or part of the expense in building the wall. Any ideas?

Looks like speaker Ryan supports having US taxpayers pony up $14B+ to start (while they joyfully take away funding and services for those most in need).  If Mexico holds firm, then probably some accounting or trade balance trick to make it appear that Mexico paid.  Trump would lie anyway if Mexico doesn't pay, as he cannot lose face over this particular issue.  We would never know for sure...Mexico would say they didn't pay, Trump would say they did, so his minions would declare it a fact.

I'm skeptical it gets that far, as Pence likely won't go forward with the wall.

When the Trump experiment comes crumbling down, all these GOP and fringe folks that attached themselves like remoras to Trump need to be shunned out of the public square, forever. 

logicmanPatrick

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • The Chatter Box
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #987 on: January 26, 2017, 09:35:47 AM »
Trump is obviosly not from Texas.

Recuerde el álamo!
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

charles_oil

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #988 on: January 26, 2017, 01:56:38 PM »
Surely if there is a sleight of hand re "payment" ... that is money that could be used for something more useful than a wall (or reduce debt).  Seems a  shame and unlikely to have any positive spinoffs (unlike NASA for example). 

In the short term though it should ensure a flood of people heading North as they will want to get in early / before jobs are lost etc !

How do the animals that travel across the area fare?  I expect they will need passports and permits now!

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: January 26, 2017, 03:07:06 PM »
Weekly jobless claims came in at 259,000 in the US....up from 234,000 last week.

A couple things to note:

1)  GE reported earnings a day or two ago and lowered their forward guidance.

2)  Target also missed earnings and lowered their guidance.

Those are two BIG companies.  GE is widespread through many industries.  Target is in the retailing segment that has reported weak earnings.  We "could be" heading into a softening period.

You want to know what Trump doesn't want to talk about the unemployment number?  We may know over the coming months.

There are THREE THINGS TO WATCH in coming weeks/next few months:

1)  Will the retail numbers remain weak?  Watch earnings from other retailers...
2)  Is the economy going to weaken because people are afraid of the new administration? 
There is a LOT of "angst" in the US....that can translate into cutting back on purchases.
3)  Watch companies like GE and other global manufacturers....if they weaken....look out.

The economy is affected by THE PSYCHOLOGY OF ITS INDIVIDUALS/COMPANIES.  When "animal spirits" (as Robert Shiller calls it) are high.....people "feel good" and will spend.  When they aren't....they don't.  And the economy goes through cycles like this.

Underlying the economy......energy costs remain low, and that is GOOD for most of the economy...and in coming years and decades I expect them TO GO LOWER....which is good for most (expect for fossil fuel companies and the companies that supply them....AND....for electric utilites).  But there are OTHER THINGS like "the psychology" of the individuals in the market that can have an important effect as well....and give us short/intermediate term weakness.

Trump is cutting back on government jobs....and THAT WILL FLOW THROUGH TO THE WEEKLY JOBLESS CLAIMS FAIRLY QUICKLY IN COMING MONTHS.

So I would encourage you folks to watch the US weekly jobless claims closely over the next few months for any signs of weakness (comes out every Thursday morning at 8:30 EST).  A continued weakening of jobless claims in the next few months....IF that happens....will NOT have a good effect on Donnie's approval rating.

Trump is already starting out with the weakest starting numbers of any president:

Per Gallup.....Trump has the LOWEST NET APPROVAL RATING IN THEIR HISTORY WHICH GOES BACK TO 1945.  His "net approval" (approve minus disapprove) is ZERO....0.....NADDA....ZIP.  He has 45% that approve....and 45% that disapprove.

The NEXT LOWEST net approval rating for someone's first week in office was George W. Bush in 2001 of 32%:  57% approve....and 25% disapprove.

Trump's 45% DISAPPROVE rating is the lowest BY FAR.  George W. Bush's 25% disapprove number in 2001 was the next worse.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/3-days-into-trumps-presidency-45-percent-of-americans-disapprove-of-his-performance/ 

nicibiene

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • www.nicibiene.de
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #990 on: January 26, 2017, 03:28:10 PM »
Just a thought regarding the wall as a former citizen from GDR. Our wall was built to prevent the flight of eastern German working people towards the Western part of Germany. It protected the West too -they sure had no interest in a flood of work demanding people - GDR produced a lot for Western markets: mainly things with a lot of manual, expensive work.

I think Mexico and it's so called Maquila industry could be seen in that way too. They depend on -exploitable- workers, for all the goods that are produced for US market. And with the attack of Trump against car producers, and the reaction of Ford, I could imagine Mexico is in trouble about the power of one tweet, as well as the European car producers. He could have also attacked Coca Cola, Walmart, Nestle or others, but he took cars. It seems to be all about the mood you produce in your country about "unpatriotic" companies, taking a status symbol,  that affects a huge industry.

And somehow the US side could be seen different too: What if they criminalise all illegals, arrest them and use them as cheap workers for the home coming industrie like Ford? There are already hard cuts in civil rights for people from abroad in US, private prisons, private secret services . All could be a seed for a new system of slavery...to make America great again.  :-X
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 04:51:07 PM by nicibiene »
“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.” –“Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.” Albert Einstein

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: January 26, 2017, 04:52:13 PM »
Very informative posts Buddy and Nicibiene. Speaking of Germany, they plan to abolish law on insulting foreign leaders:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/germany-to-abolish-law-on-insulting-foreign-leaders-%E2%80%94-just-in-time-for-you-know-who/ar-AAmeWyI?ocid=spartandhp

Excerpt: The Justice Minister of Germany announced on Wednesday that his government would scrap a long-standing law prohibiting Germans from insulting foreign heads of state. He said the law was “outdated and unnecessary.”

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: January 26, 2017, 05:55:24 PM »
Doomsday Clock’ Moves 30 Seconds Closer To Midnight

Things are finally looking up!!!!

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: January 26, 2017, 06:17:47 PM »
Round two.....coming on April 29th, 2017.

I expect the marches AROUND THE WORLD TO BE ENORMOUS.  ENORMOUS.

Also......all the senior staff at the State Department QUIT.  I knew something like this would happen......but didn't expect it this soon.  You will now see other people quit in other departments.  Probably education....as well as some others.

THE TRUTH NEVER GOES AWAY.  EVER....

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: January 26, 2017, 06:43:41 PM »
With Mexico's backing out of the meeting with Trump.....he basically told Trump:

que te jodan

Which...in Spanish....I DON'T think is "happy birthday".....or... "I admire your big hands" ;)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 07:07:29 PM by Buddy »

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: January 26, 2017, 06:48:58 PM »
With Mexico's backing out of the meeting with Trump.....he basically told Trump:

que te jodan

Which...in Spanish....I DON'T think is "happy birthday"..... ;)

Sir, we have a thread for that kind of language!!!!

Haha....

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: January 26, 2017, 07:52:42 PM »
Understanding that mass protests require lead time to plan and organize, the scientists march not happening until late April is concerning.  First, there is a notion to "strike while the iron is hot" and the energy is fresh.  Much will evolve in the next three months, and the assault on science will likely intensify but other shocks or issues may dominate the public's attention and/or the news cycle.  Second, there are clear signals that both the federal and state (mostly red) machineries will act to restrict public protests, perhaps in unprecedented ways.  That of course could lend more energy to the cause, and who expects a group of nerdy scientists to get violent, but there is an argument to act sooner than later.

I also expect a Reichstag fire type of event (likely in the form of a small scale terror attack inspired by ISIS or AQ) that will serve as the justification to put a chill on public gatherings and demonstrations.  This starts getting into CT land, but nothjng should be considered as impossible under this WH and GOP regime.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: January 26, 2017, 10:11:24 PM »
A "tariff" on goods from Mexico will NOT mean that Mexico "pays for the wall."

If the US slaps a 20% tariff on goods coming from Mexico....the goods from Mexico will COST THE US CONSUMER 20% MORE.

The effect on the Mexican manufacturer.....is that the total cost of making and selling those goods to US consumers is 20% more coming from Mexico.....so that it will be somewhat easier for US companies to compete with that Mexican company.

BUT MEXICO IS NOT PAYING FOR THE WALL.  The US CONSUMER OF THOSE GOODS IS.....instead of the US TAXPAYER.

Maybe it's a good thing that Sean Spicer is just their CHIEF LIAR.....and not their chief economist.