Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Trump  (Read 1489404 times)

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
Re: The Trump Presidency (was "Presidential Poll")
« Reply #1150 on: February 02, 2017, 01:12:54 AM »
Kicking out Corporate Democrats and getting real progressives in the Congress, would help build a bridge, I'm sure of it. People can be racist and bigoted and everything, but in the end they also want politicians who aren't in the pocket of big corporations.

The linked article is entitled: "Democrats draw sharper battle lines in tug of war over party leadership"; we will soon see whether Team Obama or Team Sanders wins the battle for the heart of the Democratic Party leadership.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/trailguide/la-na-trailguide-updates-1485983257-htmlstory.html

Extract: "Even as Democrats try to move past last year's defeats, their internal fault lines show signs of deepening in the campaign for the party's leadership.

The latest evidence came Wednesday when former Vice President Joe Biden endorsed Thomas E. Perez, who served as President Obama's Labor secretary, to chair the Democratic National Committee.

"We have a lot of good people vying for this important job," Biden said in a statement. "But I do think for this moment and in this time, Tom Perez is our best bet to help bring the party back."
The endorsement was seen as more evidence that key members of the recently departed Obama administration were backing Perez.

It was followed by a statement from Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont reiterating his support for Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.), another leading candidate in the race."

Although Sanders lost to Hillary Clinton in the presidential primary, he has continued to try to pull Democrats to the left, and he has emphasized the need to "create a grass-roots party."

Obama left office with strong poll numbers, but under his watch, Democrats lost power not only in Washington but in states around the country, something Sanders and his allies have stressed in the fight over the party chairmanship.

"The question is simple: Do we stay with a failed status-quo approach or do we go forward with a fundamental restructuring of the Democratic Party?" Sanders said."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

Martin Gisser

« Reply #1151 on: February 02, 2017, 01:35:43 AM »
war mongering ??

"WH national security adviser: Iran is 'on notice'"
Hrmpfff and I said Hillary would be as dangerous as Donald. False equivalence mestupid...

http://staging.hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TRUMP_MEXICO
WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Donald Trump threatened in a phone call with his Mexican counterpart to send U.S. troops to stop "bad hombres down there" unless the Mexican military does more to control them itself, according to an excerpt of a transcript of the conversation obtained by The Associated Press.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/china-deploys-long-range-nuclear-cpable-missiles-russian-coast-us-president-donald-trump-a7548296.html
China has moved long-range missiles to the Russian border from where they could reach the USA, apparently in response to President Donald Trump’s "aggression", unconfirmed reports say.

The missiles, which can carry ten nuclear warheads up to 8,700 miles, have reportedly been moved to Heilongjiang province in north-east China.

A leading English language newspaper in the communist country carried an editorial urging the country to strengthen its nuclear arsenal to ‘"force" the US to respect China in the wake of the new President’s tough talk.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #1152 on: February 02, 2017, 01:57:53 AM »
Anyone here interested in or have an opinion on Justice Democrats?

I want to check it out further. I'm a little irritated with them because I need to go on Facebook to fully interact, they should be a little more flexible if their looking to sign people up. Either that or I'm getting too set in my ways!

It sounds promising though and the Democratic party definitely needs to change. Despite the dread I felt when Trump won the election, I also breathed a sigh of relief that we didn't have to suffer four to eight years of HRC.

I also watched that Jimmy Dore clip. He's pretty good!

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: February 02, 2017, 02:37:45 AM »
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-mad-scramble-for-the-worlds-last-resources-20120319

Extract: "You've heard of 'peak oil'? Welcome to 'peak everything'

Heck thanks. I spent an hour or 2 today reading and debating sociologist blather from last century, but fresh off the keyboard. This article is from 2012, and it wasn't much news back then. I'm only a bit more optimistic about the time frame: Fossil fool's finance will collapse pretty soon. Then Trump et al should be gone. Soros or not.

If you want more news on our 'overshoot' situation you can click on the following link to a search of the 'Human Stupidity' thread, and search for the word 'overshoot':

https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,1548.0.html

or

https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php?action=search2
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: February 02, 2017, 05:28:33 AM »

Trump is not the end of the world, it's an opportunity, if played correctly. If you fall into the red vs blue trap, you will be played by neocons and neolibs (who are twins).

I agree with you for the most part Neven in regards to the above paragraph. Trump's conversation with Australia's Prime Minister on Saturday is a real cause for concern. Australia is one of the U.S.'s closest allies.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/no-%E2%80%98g%E2%80%99day-mate%E2%80%99-on-call-with-australian-prime-minister-trump-badgers-and-brags/ar-AAmwmJc?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

Trump's behavior really makes me wonder if he has taken leave of his senses. What concerns me the most is his bragging about his impressive victory over HRC. (There was no electoral landslide). And although he officially won the election, he lost the popular vote by almost 3 million votes.

Trump is delusional, which imho makes him dangerous and unstable.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #1155 on: February 02, 2017, 01:22:25 PM »
So what? There's no use in watching any news network anyhow, unless you like to be force-fed propaganda by pretty millionaires. Stop watching all that nonsense, get your info from independent sources.

So what?  You mean to tell me its NOT a big deal....here in the US that a sitting president AND his staff will AVOID the press....and eventually ONLY BE DELIVERING HIS MESSAGE THROUGH OUTLETS THAT ONLY "PROMOTE" HIS MESSAGE.  AND YOU SAY SO WHAT?  REALLY?  To me...that sounds a LOT like Russia.  And that....IS NOT GOOD.

I thought you lived somewhere in MODERN EUROPE.....I didn't realize you live in EAST GERMANY where freedom of the press was not seen as a "big deal".

I get my information FROM INDEPENDENT SOURCES (I didn't realize you had my house bugged ;)).  But YOU have to realize that the sheep that are watching FOX are being MISLEAD ON A GRANDIOSE SCALE.  Even more than the folks watching "mainstream" media.  As for Maddow......if she had HER CHOICE of who she wanted as president between Clinton, Sanders, and Trump.....she would likely say Sanders.  So I think you have misread her. 

Kicking out Corporate Democrats and getting real progressives in the Congress, would help build a bridge, I'm sure of it. People can be racist and bigoted and everything, but in the end they also want politicians who aren't in the pocket of big corporations.

Right now.....we have a LITERAL tyrant in charge.  We have to deal WITH HIM FIRST.  I have NEVER thought that Hillary Clinton was "the answer" to the country's ills.  She was always "bad"...but Trump was HORRIBLE...as everyone NOW clearly sees.

But what YOU don't seem to understand....is that Trump doesn't WANT a democracy.  He wants what PUTIN HAS

I'm glad to see that you found your "big boy activist pants".  Because I sent a message to a guy that has a website a LOT like this back in May of 2016 asking that he create something on his website that would more clearly show the link between CO2, temps, rising seas, and global warming.  But THIS is what he said:

"Even if I did believe in either Clinton or Trump (they're from the same party), I wouldn't give out voting advice, as I believe most of my readers are liberal-leaning.  I'm more of the garden-variety activist. Literally."

While I am GLAD that you have finally found a stronger voice than your "garden variety voice".....you need to keep an eye on Comrade Trump.  Because he LITERALLY wants it all.  And the voice right behind Trump is that of Bannon.  Here's a quote from Bannon:

"I'm a Leninist.  Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that's my goal too.  I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today's establishment."

That was a quote from Steve Bannon to the Daily Beast in 2013.

My views don't fit into any neat "box" like Republican, Democrat, Progressive, Corporate Democrat,  etc.  But history tells me that Donald Trump is extremely dangerous.....and the ties to the types of people in the US is extremely dangerous.  Because he is siding with two groups of folks:  (1) the group of folks that have it all....the uber wealthy and powerful, and (2) the group of folks that don't know better and can continue to be conned.

THAT....is a dangerous combination.  If you take a look at history...you'll see that business people like Joseph Kennedy was all to happy to nuzzle up to Hitler, because Kennedy thought Hitler was going to win.  Fast forward to today.......and take a look at someone like Elon Musk.

History never EXACTLY repeats itself...but it rhymes a lot.

We (people who believe in democracy AND in dealing with global warming) have a BIG DEAL coming up on April 29th.  Maybe you can use that newfound voice of yours to help promote it.

FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: February 02, 2017, 01:49:20 PM »
Donald Trump has two main priorities over the next few months:

1)  Bury the Russian connection.
2)  Find a war.
3)  Get his poll numbers up

The second one will be a lot easier than the first one.  And if he does the second one...that will help his poll numbers INITIALLY....as well as deflecting all the attention AWAY from the Russian investigation.  He has several choices to find a war:

a)  Iran
b)  Syria
c)  North Korea
d)  South China Sea

I won't even list Ukraine.....because that is the least likely.  Trump is working WITH Putin....not against him at this point in time.

But Trump needs SOMETHING to galvanize public opinion on HIS SIDE.  And Iran is the likely choice.

Benjamin Netanyahu....the leader of Israel.....is under a lot of pressure due to his corruption investigation in Israel.  And he is likely looking for something to galvanize support behind him as well.  In addition....this is something that Netanyahu has wanted to do FOREVER:  A pre-emptive strike against Iran's nuclear capability.

Any strike...or "war" with Iran would help to bury the Russian investigation.  BUT IT IS CLEAR THAT HE WANTS TO AVOID THE RUSSIAN INVESTIGATION AT ALL COSTS.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: February 02, 2017, 02:42:17 PM »
One other thing to watch....now that we are in a typically "soft period" for equity markets....is the reaction of the equity market to the downside over the next couple of months.

HISTORICALLY....February to the middle of March/Early April (that 3 week window of time from March 15 to about April 7)...is a "soft period".  You have people...especially the wealthy who are cashing in stocks to pay their tax bills or estimate income tax which creates "supply" of stock...and if there aren't enough buyers....then the market will head down some.

So there are some real FUNDAMENTAL REASONS why the equity market in the US is many times weak from February to the end of March (give or take a week or two).

The reason I mention it on THIS THREAD.....is that it may impact the craziness that is happening in the political world as well.  It COULD perhaps "feed in" to peoples fears....and maybe play into Trump's hand.  I really don't know at this point.

Just like in global warming......EVERYTHING affects EVERYTHING.  And YES....there ARE feedback effects between the economy and the political world.  The economic issues affect the political issues.....and the issues in the stock markets affect the political issues.  Just one more thing that Donnie MIGHT use to help promote his agenda.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1337
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #1158 on: February 02, 2017, 03:01:32 PM »
So what?  You mean to tell me its NOT a big deal....here in the US that a sitting president AND his staff will AVOID the press....and eventually ONLY BE DELIVERING HIS MESSAGE THROUGH OUTLETS THAT ONLY "PROMOTE" HIS MESSAGE.  AND YOU SAY SO WHAT?  REALLY?  To me...that sounds a LOT like Russia.  And that....IS NOT GOOD.
But when Hillary and the DNC do it to stick a knife in Sanders' back, it's okay?

I thought you lived somewhere in MODERN EUROPE.....I didn't realize you live in EAST GERMANY where freedom of the press was not seen as a "big deal".
My friend, there is no freedom of the press. It is bound by what the owners of the corporate news networks want. Their advertizers, the Pentagon, they decide what the narrative is. We both live in East Germany, but because we can buy whatever we want - depending on how much we are supporting the system in place - we think we're free. We're not. We're imprisoned and hideous crimes are being perpetrated in our names.

As for Maddow......if she had HER CHOICE of who she wanted as president between Clinton, Sanders, and Trump.....she would likely say Sanders.  So I think you have misread her. 
Maddow is a millionaire. In one or two days she makes as much as I do in a whole year. Why would she have a problem with or see through Corporate Democrats? Why should I expect her to tell me the unbiased truth? That where she was smugly making fun of the idea Trump could ever win, because pollsters predicted that he couldn't possible win in key 'toss up' states (where Trump then went on to win convincingly), that's when I was done with Rachel Maddow.

As for her picking Sanders:

! No longer available
or

! No longer available
Watch the final two minutes of the second clip. Jimmy Dore explains that Trump is not the problem, Trump is the outcome of decades of neoliberalism (with the Clintons and Obama betraying the American people in the most cynical way one can imagine). That's your problem.

Right now.....we have a LITERAL tyrant in charge.  We have to deal WITH HIM FIRST.  I have NEVER thought that Hillary Clinton was "the answer" to the country's ills.  She was always "bad"...but Trump was HORRIBLE...as everyone NOW clearly sees.
No, you deal with him AND you deal with the CORPORATE DEMOCRATS, and make sure a traitor like Obama never gets into office again. Neither a tyrant nor a tyrants' puppet in office ever again.

If you focus all your efforts on Trump in that silly, tribalist way, all it will result in is puppets taking over the show. It's probably exactly what the Republicans and Corporate Democrats want you to do, which is why the media is doing everything it can to push the hysteria to ever new heights, without providing information to the people (like that Obama had already prepared everything for Trump to install the 'Muslim ban').

But what YOU don't seem to understand....is that Trump doesn't WANT a democracy.  He wants what PUTIN HAS
I don't know he wants that, as 1) he's nuts and 2) there's so much anti-Trump hysteria/propaganda out there (which reminds me of the anti-Obama hysteria). But even if he does want it, he won't get it, because the American population is nowhere like the Russian people that was 1) desperate and 2) conditioned for hundreds of years to love strong men. While I understand the emotion, I think it's totally useless, counter-productive even. It's not Trump that doesn't want a democracy, it's the SYSTEM that doesn't want it.

I'm glad to see that you found your "big boy activist pants".  Because I sent a message to a guy that has a website a LOT like this back in May of 2016 asking that he create something on his website that would more clearly show the link between CO2, temps, rising seas, and global warming.  But THIS is what he said:

"Even if I did believe in either Clinton or Trump (they're from the same party), I wouldn't give out voting advice, as I believe most of my readers are liberal-leaning.  I'm more of the garden-variety activist. Literally."

While I am GLAD that you have finally found a stronger voice than your "garden variety voice".....you need to keep an eye on Comrade Trump.
Yeah, sorry for not turning the ASIB into a vehicle for Clinton back then, me not being American and everything. I hope you also notice I'm still not posting anything on the ASIB about this. I'm just expressing an interest and an opinion on the ASIF, a forum.

I probably will never give out US election voting advice on the ASIB, but I might explain how important it is to have a good garden if you want to get corporate money out of politics, and put a cap on wealth.

Because getting all riled up against Trump (and/or Corporate Democrats) and then go and do your groceries at Walmart, and turn on your TV at night to watch MSNBC, doesn't actually solve anything. What are you eating while ranting all over the Internets?

We (people who believe in democracy AND in dealing with global warming) have a BIG DEAL coming up on April 29th.  Maybe you can use that newfound voice of yours to help promote it.
Yes, I'm doing that here: rip the Democratic Party from the claws of the neoliberal, Corporate Democrats, WHILE resisting Trump (on the issues where he's doing the wrong thing). Do it at the same time. THERE are many HEADS, BUT they all come from the SAME MONSTER.

The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: February 02, 2017, 03:48:22 PM »
Neven:

I think you've missed my point ENTIRELY.

You and I BOTH KNOW....that what is seen on television IS PAID FOR BY THE ADVERTISERS.  THAT...has ALWAYS BEEN THE CASE.

In fact....I have railed about it before.  We allow much more of that in the US than other countries (in most parts of Europe....drug companies can't even advertise on TV).  And advertisers as well as corporate America use the "freedom of speech" as a "freedom to lie" (whether that is fossil fuel companies, drug companies, soda companies, etc).

But MY POINT....is that Trump wants a Putin-like US.  And while Hillary is/was BAD....Trump IS HORRIBLE.  And as bad as our "freedom of the press is now"......if Trump has his way.....it wll be FOX 24/7 for everyone.  Do you NOT think that is worse?  I certainly do.

And I think Maddow is a pragmatist.  And is she a millionaire.....ABSOLUTELY.  Does she support "progressive thinking"......ABSOLUTELY.  Did she think that Bernie had a chance in hell of beating Hillary in the PRIMARY?  ABSOLUTELY NOT.  Note:  I think Bernie would have BEAT Trump...but that's water under the bridge.  The trouble was.....he couldn't beat Hillary. 

As I have said on THIS FORUM many times before....what is needed....and what is COMING at some point in the future...is a "system" that "caps" the amount that someone can earn as a multiple of the lowest paid person in the company.  In the US....it is NOW THOUSANDS OF TIMES GREATER...and that has to come down SIGNIFICANTLY.  And I DO think that will come from "someone LIKE Bernie" (someone with Bernie like policies...only 15 - 20 years younger....and maybe a little more fiscal control).

But I think YOU are feeding into EXACTLY what Steve Bannon wants:  To bring down ALL the establishment AT ONCE.  So YOU should be Steve Bannon's biggest supporter.  The thing that I AM TRYING TO GET YOU TO NOTICE....is that DONNIE WANTS WHAT PUTIN HAS:  Absolute power.....and a TON OF MONEY.  Both of which he doesn't have now.  But both of which Bannon has convinced him that he can have if he follows his path.  And as you will see in coming weeks and months...HE WILL DO ANYTHING TO GET IT.

If you want ABSOLUTE CHAOS.....then Bannon/Trump are your guys.  That is also what Hitler used.  Remember...Germany WAS a democracy and Hitler was VOTED IN.  History rhymes my friend....

EVENTUALLY the "establishment"....the "corporate establishment".... will have to be brought down or at least brought UNDER CONTROL.   Dwight Eisenhower warned against some of that about 50 years ago when he warned about the "military establishment".  Little did he know that it went even much DEEPER than just the military establishment and that it was MOST OF BIG BUSINESS.

Right now....my biggest concern is that we have a Dictator In Training program going on....AND HE NEEDS TO BE STOPPED. 

I wish you would have had your "activist voice" about 7 months ago when I URGED YOU TO DO SO.  I like to PREVENT THINGS.....rather than CLEAN UP THINGS.  It is always easier to do...and less costly.  But that is also now water under the bridge.  We have to deal with the hand that we NOW HAVE....not the hand we COULD HAVE HAD.  Cleaning up after Hillary would have been a lot easier.

Martin Gisser

« Reply #1160 on: February 02, 2017, 03:48:44 PM »
(like that Obama had already prepared everything for Trump to install the 'Muslim ban').
You went straight into Bannon's trap: The "Obama excuse".

That "Obama" thing was a rider (H.R. 158) appended to a must-pass budget bill. That the same countries now appear in Trump's executive order is certainly no coincidence. But it is not "Obama's preparation" (actually, not congresswoman Candice Miller's). It is a red herring constructed by Bannon.

H.R. 158 did not actually block travel or immigration by residents or citizens of any particular countries; rather, it terminated travel privileges afforded persons previously covered under the Visa Waiver Program
http://www.snopes.com/trump-immigration-order-obama/

Martin Gisser

« Reply #1161 on: February 02, 2017, 04:03:05 PM »
I wish you would have had your "activist voice" about 7 months ago when I URGED YOU TO DO SO.  I like to PREVENT THINGS.....rather than CLEAN UP THINGS.  It is always easier to do...and less costly.  But that is also now water under the bridge.  We have to deal with the hand that we NOW HAVE....not the hand we COULD HAVE HAD.  Cleaning up after Hillary would have been a lot easier.

You think Neven's voice would have made a difference? When even Bernie couldn't gather enough movement. (Yes. Please forget about the Bernie stab-in-the-back legend. He simply lost to Hillary.) Nope, methinks you 'merricans desperately needed a Trump to mobilize enough voices. Now there is activism out there. Suddenly (half of) America is great again! Thanks Trump.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: February 02, 2017, 04:09:12 PM »
I could list tens of things the Trump cabinet either HAS DONE ALREADY....or has PROMISED TO DO in the months/years ahead.

Anyone who thinks that there is no difference between Trump and Clinton.....ISN'T PAYING ATTENTION TO FACTS.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/4875d9ad-65b9-3395-ae1a-16b05472d3d7/house-votes-to-reject-stream.html

Above is just one.  For anyone who wanted to do something about climate change....THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE. For anyone who wanted to do something about the ENVIRONMENT IN GERNERAL.....there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE.

For anyone who wanted some "semblance" of freedom of speech....and freedom to gather and protest....there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE.  And we may find out just how big a difference in the next 3 months.

Connect the dots.....

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #1163 on: February 02, 2017, 05:31:00 PM »
Yes. Please forget about the Bernie stab-in-the-back legend. He simply lost to Hillary.

Really? I believed those hacked e-mails showed that the DNC did everything it could to help Hillary win. And of course, the media didn't talk about Sanders or the huge crowds that came out to support him. If they did talk about him, it was to imply that he was a communist.

When the Republicans/Trump did the same to Hillary, you know, making it hard to vote for Clinton using all kinds of tricks, the Clinton camp accused them of rigging the system. But they had done the exact same thing to Sanders during the primaries.

I haven't looked into this, but saw it mentioned several times on the Jimmy Dore show. Maybe it's not true, but I kind of trust what he says.

Nope, methinks you 'merricans desperately needed a Trump to mobilize enough voices. Now there is activism out there. Suddenly (half of) America is great again! Thanks Trump.

Yes, that's the 'silver lining'. Maybe something good can come out of it, but it won't be easy. People have to realise that they actually have to do something to make a difference. Not just vote for some pretty face, or for your team, and then go back to sleep again.

One last thing and then I'm pulling out again, as I've said everything I wanted to say. About the false equivalence: I'm not saying one side is just as bad as the other. I'm saying the bad people are all on the same side, even if they fight each other. Trump and his cronies, the Clinton Dynasty, celebrity Obama, the Corporate Democrats. They are all heads on the same monster. It's about the body, not the heads.

The enemy is within

E. Smith

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: February 02, 2017, 05:58:11 PM »
Just one of what will be a GROWING BODY OF EVIDENCE OF A LEADER NOT QUALIFIED TO LEAD.  In conjunction with the "Russian connection"....he will be ushered out of office AFTER the process plays out:

Now, U.S. military officials are pointing fingers – and responsibility lies with President Trump. Our ignorant showboat of a President “approved his first covert counterterrorism operation without sufficient intelligence, ground support or adequate backup preparations” according to Reuters. “As a result, three officials said, the attacking SEAL team found itself dropping onto a reinforced al Qaeda base defended by landmines, snipers, and a larger than expected contingent of heavily armed Islamist extremists. One of the three U.S. officials said on-the-ground surveillance of the compound was ‘minimal, at best.‘”

It is also revealed that the proposed raid had been presented before ex-President Obama, who had refused to give the green light due to operational reasons – meaning he wasn’t comfortable with the level of tactical information available on the target and the defenses. It goes to show how seriously President Obama took every decision of this magnitude, and how cavalier Trump was with the lives of our servicemen and women.

http://occupydemocrats.com/2017/02/02/us-military-officials-just-blamed-trump-disastrous-raid-killed-american-soldier/

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #1165 on: February 02, 2017, 06:05:45 PM »
Now, that's a nice example of false equivalence.  :D
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: February 02, 2017, 06:13:33 PM »

1)  We have a president with LIKELY TIES TO Russia from BOTH during the campaign AND after the campaign.

2)  Russia.....a country NEEDS higher oil prices because its economy is falling apart without them.

3)  A US Secretary of State that is Exxon's ex CEO Rex Tillerson at the helm...who "happens" to be good friends with Putin.  And Exxon NEEDS higher oil prices.

4)  An oil market that has TOO MUCH SUPPLY....and is in need of HIGHER PRICES.

5)  A leader of Israel that is now being investigated for unethical behavior....who is in need of a conflict to take people's minds off of his own lack of ethics.

6)  A US leader who needs "something" to both (a) take people's minds off the investigation of his ties to Russia, and (b) a horrible execution of duties not even two weeks into his term.

And how many weeks before Iran is invaded.....either by Israel alone....WITH OUR BLESSING.....or with our outright help?

What could possibly go wrong?

The march is scheduled for April 29th.  I'll stick my neck out on a limb and say we will LIKELY have an "altercation"/conflict with Iran BEFORE THAT.

Three months.....tick....tick....tick.....tick....

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: February 02, 2017, 06:45:30 PM »
From Neven's reply #1157:

"Jimmy Dore explains that Trump is not the problem, Trump is the outcome of decades of neoliberalism (with the Clintons and Obama betraying the American people in the most cynical way one can imagine). That's your problem."

Neven, with respect I think saying the Clinton's and Obama betrayed the American people is going too far. I also believe you're underestimating Trump. Aside from these two points, I agree with what you're saying. As that fellow from "The Young Turks" said, now's the time to seize the moment and work towards changing the Democratic party with true progressive candidates in the 2018 Congressional elections.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 07:04:51 PM by budmantis »

Csnavywx

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1168 on: February 02, 2017, 07:17:46 PM »

Longer lecture:

Good case for why Trump is the symptom, not the cause. If you were to get rid of him, others take his place. It's like pulling a weed without getting at the root. You won't actually solve anything in the end.

By all means -- protest the administration and its policies. But don't resort to violence. Take that energy and reclaim the Democratic Party from its corporatist faction. Or continue losing....
They're now trying to champion Cory Booker and Kirsten Gillibrand as the rising stars for 2020. Eye-yi-yiiiiiiii

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: February 02, 2017, 07:55:32 PM »
The linked article is entitled: "Trump said he’ll ‘totally destroy’ the Johnson Amendment. What is it and why should people care?".  The article indicates that if Trump follows through on this threat that churches could effectively function as Super PACs, so say Steve Bannon could establish a church of 'Alternate Facts' for the alt-right, in order to influence both the next mid-term and presidential elections, with little accountability.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2017/02/02/trump-said-hell-totally-destroy-the-johnson-amendment-what-is-it-and-why-do-people-care/?utm_term=.37faef4fa672

Extract: "In his address at the National Prayer Breakfast this morning, President Trump made one clear policy declaration: “I will get rid of and totally destroy the Johnson Amendment.”

It’s named for Lyndon B. Johnson, who introduced it in the Senate in 1954, nine years before he became president. It bans all tax-exempt nonprofits — which includes churches and other houses of worship, as well as charities — from “directly or indirectly” participating in any political candidate’s campaign.

“Most people’s concern is if you allow churches to freely allow political activity — churches, synagogues, temples, whatever the religious organization — now what you’ve done is you’ve turned those into Super PACs,” said David Herzig, a Valparaiso University tax law professor.
Churches would be freed to use their budgets to support campaigning — and citizens would get a tax deduction for contributing to the church, which would still be a 501(c)3 nonprofit. Also, Herzig pointed out, nonprofits like churches aren’t required to make the same public disclosures as PACs, so political funding could theoretically become much less transparent if campaign funding were funneled through churches.

The Johnson amendment is part of the tax code, so to remove it would take an act of Congress.
But President Trump can direct the IRS not to enforce that portion of the law, Herzig said. “Yes, technically, the only way to get rid of the Johnson Amendment is to have Congress repeal that portion of 501(c)3. It doesn’t mean the executive branch doesn’t have tremendous power in the ability to decide whether they’re going to enforce the Johnson amendment.”

“Politicizing churches does them no favors. The promised repeal is an attack on the integrity of both our charitable organizations and campaign finance system. Inviting churches to intervene in campaigns with tax-deductible offerings would fundamentally change our houses of worship. It would usher our partisan divisions into the pews and harm the church’s ability to provide refuge,” the organization said."
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: February 02, 2017, 09:00:56 PM »
A good captain at the wheel that has a nice "even keel".....what could possibly go wrong?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/brainstorm/201701/shrinks-battle-over-diagnosing-donald-trump

Martin Gisser

« Reply #1171 on: February 02, 2017, 09:12:40 PM »
2)  Russia.....a country NEEDS higher oil prices because its economy is falling apart without them.

3)  A US Secretary of State that is Exxon's ex CEO Rex Tillerson at the helm...who "happens" to be good friends with Putin.  And Exxon NEEDS higher oil prices.

4)  An oil market that has TOO MUCH SUPPLY....and is in need of HIGHER PRICES.
Yeah. Ruin is nigh:

Source: http://www.resilience.org/stories/2017-01-31/end-of-the-oilocene-the-demise-of-the-global-oil-industry-and-of-the-global-economic-system-as-we-know-it/

The paradox is Exxon's hyper billion arctic oil deal with Russia. Do they understand the problem? They should and quite probably do. Looks like they bet on finance does not yet get it, inflating the debt bubble for short-term gain, producing lots of stranded assets soon.  When the bubble bursts...

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #1172 on: February 02, 2017, 09:21:31 PM »
A good captain at the wheel that has a nice "even keel".....what could possibly go wrong?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/brainstorm/201701/shrinks-battle-over-diagnosing-donald-trump

Did you actually read the article?

It is widely regarded as unethical—a violation of the so-called Goldwater Rule—for mental health experts to offer a professional diagnosis of any person they have not personally examined.

(...)

“You cannot discern from public behavior whether a person’s behavior represents an authentic personality style or is choreographed.” How do we know, he asks, that Trump isn’t “throwing paint balls at the wall, creating chaos so that he can dial it down later to get what he wants.” In fact, he points out, the President seems to be behaving quite rationally in that he is fulfilling his campaign promises.

(...)

And that is one of the many criticisms that psychiatrist Allen Frances levels at the “well-meaning but misguided effort” to declare Donald Trump mentally ill. “Donald Trump is evil—bad not mad—and incompetent. He is a threat to democracy.” His fitness for office should be addressed politically, not psychologically, Frances says.

(...)

There is sickness, Frances contends, but he believes it is in society in general. “We are ignoring real existential threats—of overpopulation, of climate, of inequality.” The cure for this illness, he believes is political activism and electing officials who can be trusted to face “the real problems.”

Saying that Trump should be removed from office because he is a psychopath, is like Republicans saying Obama should be removed from office because he's a Muslim who wasn't born in the US. This is such childish behaviour, just like that Russian hack nonsense.

He was elected. Deal with it, or make the same mistakes again.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: February 02, 2017, 09:47:01 PM »

One good way of dealing with Trump is to boycott his and his family's products.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/an-anti-trump-movement-is-calling-for-the-boycott-of-these-33-retailers/ss-AAmvThQ?ocid=spartandhp

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: February 02, 2017, 09:57:24 PM »
Did you actually read the article?

Yes...I did.

Saying that Trump should be removed from office because he is a psychopath, is like Republicans saying Obama should be removed from office because he's a Muslim who wasn't born in the US. This is such childish behaviour, just like that Russian hack nonsense.

If you don't give 12,000 professionals in the mental health community any credence....that is YOUR choice.  I happen to give them credence.  Just as I give credence to climate scientists that Trump DOESN'T give credence to.  That is what professionals in various fields are for.

Trump being a psychopath...is only one piece of the puzzle.  It is what HE DOES....and HAS DONE.....and WILL CONTINUE TO DO that are other pieces to the puzzle that is continuing to come together.

Yes....he absolutely was elected.  And...we ARE dealing with it.  Just as Nixon was dealt with in the 1970's.   Only now...the stakes are much higher.

The way that many people are "dealing with it"....is to voice their concern, as well as to protest some of his policy moves and initiatives.  That is what a democracy allows.

I didn't make the mistake of voting for him...or supporting him....or even of not voicing my early warnings of him (like some).   Not sure what "mistakes" you are referring to. 

He will NOT be removed from office "just" because he is a psychopath.  He will be removed because of the things he has done already.....and continues to do.  Which includes his ties to Russia (yes....REALLY).  Trump being a psychopath.....ALLOWS HIM, or causes him to do the things he does.

PS.  If you don't want me on the website.....this IS your website and I can leave.  Up to you.  Otherwise I will stay.  I happen to believe that the things that Trump is trying to do.....

1)  To the environment
2)  On the global warming front
3)  On dealing with minorities
4)  On current and future corruption
5)  On international relations....

All....are worth fighting for.  But the biggest one FOR SURE....is on the climate change/global warming front.  I am surprised you don't see that.......

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #1175 on: February 02, 2017, 10:22:10 PM »
Oh, I'm seeing it. But I'm also seeing that it isn't much better when neoliberal Corporate Democrats are in charge. It just feels better.

This live Jimmy Dore show, aired today, is both funny and good:

! No longer available

A lot of what Trump is doing, well, Obama paved the way for it (surveillance etc). So, it's not just about fighting Trump. The fight is on two fronts, three, if you include the Republicans.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #1176 on: February 02, 2017, 10:35:56 PM »

Joining a "Soros mob" to over throw an elected government isn't working out in Ukraine, and it won't work out well in America.
 "Spontaneous" demonstrations require lots of planning.

Terry

Terry - what are your criteria for a legitimate mass demonstration?

"Overthrow" - There are no indications whatsoever that the two primary large demonstrations in the US since Jan 20 were purposed "to over throw an elected government".  Both (the Women's March, and the collective demonstrations post "Muslim Ban" executive order) have largely been focused on human rights, the reactions opposing the real and perceived threats to said human rights by President Trump and his Executive Branch, and to apply pressure on elected official to oppose and challenge these real and perceived affronts to human rights.  How are you reaching the conclusion that there is an active effort to overthrow the US government via these protests?

Also, do you perceive something inauthentic or menacing about efforts to organize and pre-plan mass demonstrations?

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 11:14:12 PM by pileus »

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: February 02, 2017, 11:13:11 PM »

If the scenario evolves that President Trump does in fact suffer from a verifiable physical or cognitive disorder that prevents him from executing the duties of office, the US Constitution (amendment 25.4) does provide a path for specifically named officials to consider removing him from office.  The US electorate and elected officials would like not be comfortable with President Trump completing his term if he is hypothetically diagnosed with psychopathic disorder.

On the other hand, the US Constitution does not provide a remedy to remove a sitting president from office is the only material evidence is a disproven and debunked conspiracy theory that he is non-citizen. 

So those two scenarios are distinctly different in nature and available remedies.

And, the 17 US intelligence agencies that determined Russia was indeed executing cyberhacking with the intent of disrupting and influencing the US election would likely disagree that their conclusions are "childish nonsense".  Evidence of this activity was provided to then President Obama and congressional leaders prior to November 8th.

Indeed, we in the US are trying to adjust and deal with the reality of Trump's election and ascension to the Oval Office.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #1178 on: February 02, 2017, 11:41:48 PM »
So those two scenarios are distinctly different in nature and available remedies.

Yes, but the idea of accusations made by people because the candidate on their team didn't win the elections is the same in both cases. It's pathetic.

Should we now only let psychiatrists vote? Most of them probably have a liberal bias. Or at least 12 thousand of them who were unprofessional enough to sign that god damn petition.

And, the 17 US intelligence agencies that determined Russia was indeed executing cyberhacking with the intent of disrupting and influencing the US election would likely disagree that their conclusions are "childish nonsense".  Evidence of this activity was provided to then President Obama and congressional leaders prior to November 8th.

You know that is all propaganda, right? Since when do you trust anything US intelligence agencies are telling you? These are war criminals, overthrowing legitimate governments all over the world, spying on their own population, putting people in jail without a trial. Come on, don't do this.

And even then: The Russians hacked Podesta's mail? So what? The US is tapping Angela Merkel's phone, for crying out loud! What was in the mails? That's what's important. I believe there was talk in there about rigging the primaries so that Sanders wouldn't win. And some stuff having to do with the Clinton Foundation. How did those Clintons get so obscenely rich? Gee, let me think...

Okay, I need to extract myself from this one. It's not even my country and I hate it that the whole f***ing world is sucked into this US-centrism. Sorry, everyone.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Martin Gisser

« Reply #1179 on: February 02, 2017, 11:47:22 PM »
Oh, I'm seeing it. But I'm also seeing that it isn't much better when neoliberal Corporate Democrats are in charge. It just feels better.
Who sidewinded around the oilygarchy's resistance against any international climate agreement? Luckily there was Obama. Now Trump and friends are largely irrelevant in climate policy. That alone was worth that Corporate Democrat.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: February 02, 2017, 11:52:35 PM »
The linked Wikipedia article is entitled: "Democratic National Committee chairmanship election, 2017".  We should has a better understanding of which way the DNC will be heading (likely either K. Ellison [Team Sanders] or T. Perez [Team Obama]) after Feb 26.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_National_Committee_chairmanship_election,_2017

Extract: "The 2017 Democratic National Committee (DNC) chairmanship election will be held during the weekend of February 23–26, 2017, to determine the next chairperson of the DNC."
― Leon C. Megginson

Martin Gisser

« Reply #1181 on: February 02, 2017, 11:55:18 PM »
Since when do you trust anything US intelligence agencies are telling you?
Since it was a private cybersecurity company that did the first analysis and lots of other public experts checking it. (BTW from that hacking thing it became clear that parts of the FBI were passive actively working against the Dems - the October surprise was unsurprising.)

I hate it that the whole f***ing world is sucked into this US-centrism. Sorry, everyone.
Yeah, heck, ditto...  :) I haven't taken a breath since I started watching this debacle closely last summer. (Had an elderly leftist ex Black Panther activist friend visiting from U.S. His stance made me suspicious of suspiciousness...)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 12:03:47 AM by Martin Gisser »

logicmanPatrick

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • The Chatter Box
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1182 on: February 03, 2017, 12:33:12 AM »
I was born in 1946.  During my childhood, teens and twenties I met many people who had first hand knowledge of WW2, Nazis, the holocaust and other evils.  The common thought was: "never again".

What I have seen of Donald Trump fills me with dread of an "again".  Never mind what psychiatrists say: he ticks all the boxes of a demagogue.

As to the possibility of his being blackmailed: it is both possible and plausible.  Blackmail may be indirect: perhaps one of his family has been honeypotted.  The honeypot toolbox has been used by  Russia for a very long time.  The most famous British case was the Vassal affair.
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: February 03, 2017, 12:34:53 AM »
Neither candidate was acceptable to me, although keeping Hillary away from "The Button" does let me sleep easier.

Terry

Are you seriously sleeping easier with Trump having the nuclear launch codes, especially considering Trump's performance during the last forty-eight hours? I find that hard to believe. I recall back in the final week of the campaign, when I said I might vote for a third party candidate. In reply #388, You said at the time that it was a mistake, that voting for Clinton was better for the sake of the environment.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 12:43:00 AM by budmantis »

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: February 03, 2017, 12:55:41 AM »
It is not hard to imagine that in the coming month Trump will attack ISIS (he has tasked the pentagon with giving him such a battle plan in the next four weeks), thus focusing world attention of fighting terrorist; thus leaving Putin free to continue to undermine Ukraine.  And should Ukraine revert to a Russian puppet, this would place Russian tanks within 450 km of Vienna (straight through Slovakia, see attached image).

The first linked article is entitled: "Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin pledge cooperation to 'tackle terrorism'".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-29/donald-trump-and-vladimir-putin-talk-terrorism-relations/8220866

Extract: "Russian President Vladimir Putin and US President Donald Trump have said they want their nations to cooperate to defeat terrorists, including the Islamic State group.

Earlier in January Mr Trump suggested that NATO was "obsolete" and that the US might not come to the aid of countries that do not meet targets for their own defence spending.

Mr Trump and Ms Merkel spoke about issues including the Middle East, North Africa, their ties to Russia and the conflict in eastern Ukraine, a German Government spokesperson said, in a statement approved by both countries.

The spokesperson said Ms Merkel and Mr Trump agreed to expand their cooperation in combating terrorism and militancy."

The second linked article is entitled: "While Trump Fiddles, Putin Steps Up the War in Ukraine".

http://www.newsweek.com/while-trump-fiddles-putin-steps-war-ukraine-550603

Extract: "The conflict has killed more than 10,000 Ukrainians, and displaced about 1.7 million people, according to estimates by the U.N. and other humanitarian aid groups.

The conflict—Europe’s only ongoing land war—retains the potential to escalate into a major, larger conflagration.

Ukrainian officials take seriously the possibility of a full-scale Russian invasion. Ukraine’s military doctrine identifies Russia as the country’s top military threat, and Poroshenko, Ukraine’s president, has ordered a top-to-bottom overhaul of the military by 2020.

There are also worries about the war spilling over to other countries throughout the region.

The U.S. and NATO have shifted military assets eastward in a move to reassure NATO’s eastern flank, which has been rattled by Russia’s aggression in Ukraine, as well as to deter Moscow from military adventurism—covert or overt—against any NATO member.

The situation throughout Eastern Europe, especially within the former boundaries of the Soviet Union, has become a dangerous cycle of brinkmanship, with NATO and Russia locked in a tit-for-tat ratcheting up of their military presence throughout the region."

Edit, see also the Jan 28th linked article entitled: "Trump gives Pentagon 30 days to develop strategy to defeat ISIS in Iraq & Syria

https://www.rt.com/usa/375434-trump-isis-defeat-strategy/

Extract:  President Donald Trump has signed an executive order directing the US military to develop a preliminary plan to defeat Islamic State in both Iraq and Syria. He discussed the issue earlier in a telephone conversation with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

“It is the policy of the United States that ISIS be defeated,” reads the order published on the White House website on Saturday. “Within 30 days, a preliminary draft of the Plan to defeat ISIS shall be submitted to the President by the Secretary of Defense.”"

Putin emphasized that “for over two centuries Russia has supported the United States, was its ally during the two world wars, and now sees the United States as a major partner in fighting international terrorism.”"
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 01:16:35 AM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: February 03, 2017, 01:00:52 AM »
Well, from my personal experience and feedback from people in my social circle, the quality of ease of falling asleep has decreased dramatically since Jan 20. 

President Trump is widely viewed as antagonistic and provocative, and his continued behavior of tweeting out criticisms and now threats early each morning leaves many with a, "What am I going to wake up to tomorrow" perspective.  This from a president who demonstrated no awareness of the nuclear triad, openly asked why the US didn't actively utilize nuclear weapons, and made statements favoring a new arms race.

Hillary Clinton served as Secretary of State for the US, worked first hand in the nuclear program negotiations with Iran, and showed a level of competence and understanding of nuclear weapons as a Presidential candidate.

I'm at a loss in understanding how anyone can look objectively at the body of evidence, and determine that Hillary Clinton would be more likely to initiate a nuclear strike than Donald Trump.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #1186 on: February 03, 2017, 01:14:17 AM »
Well, from my personal experience and feedback from people in my social circle, the quality of ease of falling asleep has decreased dramatically since Jan 20. 

President Trump is widely viewed as antagonistic and provocative, and his continued behavior of tweeting out criticisms and now threats early each morning leaves many with a, "What am I going to wake up to tomorrow" perspective.  This from a president who demonstrated no awareness of the nuclear triad, openly asked why the US didn't actively utilize nuclear weapons, and made statements favoring a new arms race.

Hillary Clinton served as Secretary of State for the US, worked first hand in the nuclear program negotiations with Iran, and showed a level of competence and understanding of nuclear weapons as a Presidential candidate.

I'm at a loss in understanding how anyone can look objectively at the body of evidence, and determine that Hillary Clinton would be more likely to initiate a nuclear strike than Donald Trump.

WE CAME, WE SAW, HE DIED - HA HA

http://truthfeed.com/flashback-shamelessly-sadistic-hillary-we-came-we-saw-he-died/9792/

Yes, I sleep more soundly.

Terry

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: February 03, 2017, 03:15:20 AM »
It is not hard to imagine that in the coming month Trump will attack ISIS (he has tasked the pentagon with giving him such a battle plan in the next four weeks),....

The linked article is entitled: “Watch: The AUMF Gives Donald Trump a Scary Amount of Military Power”.  The AUMF allows Trump to not only attack ISIS without Congressional approval; but also to continue on after that essentially unchecked (even to actions not associated with 911).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/zac-thompson/watch-the-aumf-gives-dona_b_14271762.html

Extract: "However, when Donald Trump becomes the 45th President of the United States tomorrow, he will also be given more power than most people are aware of. This includes the power to cite a sixteen-year-old authorization called The Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF).

The bill was signed only three days after 9/11 by the George W. Bush Administration. It allows for the use of military force as justification for attacking nearly any community in the world. It’s been used dozens of times since 2001, often for issues unrelated to 9/11 and Al-Qaeda. It’s a scary amount of power and now we’re giving it to a thin-skinned demagogue who already uses his Twitter account as a weapon.

Now President Donald Trump has nearly unlimited authority to bomb, detain, and monitor just about anyone. “

See also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorization_for_Use_of_Military_Force_Against_Terrorists

« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 03:25:42 AM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

Martin Gisser

« Reply #1188 on: February 03, 2017, 03:42:41 AM »

http://truthfeed.com/flashback-shamelessly-sadistic-hillary-we-came-we-saw-he-died/9792/
My Libyan friend Abdul here in Germany, one of the finest men I know, was as happy as Hillary. Happier actually. His family was ruined and driven out of the country by the Gaddafi clan. He was planning to return, first, until he realized he was as naive as Hillary and the French and all the others who militarily backed the opposition.

(Now methinks I'm out of here. Trump fatigue... But please, dear Americans, keep up the good fight.)

magnamentis

« Reply #1189 on: February 03, 2017, 05:55:59 AM »

I hate it that the whole f***ing world is sucked into this US-centrism. Sorry, everyone.

you don't appear to be sucked in and neither am i and many others. the degree of disconnection depends a bit on economical independence/dependence  but thoughts and spirits are free for everyone.

don't get me wrong, i know exactly what you mean but that's not a new phenomenon and i complain about the cowardice of the rest of the pack for many years. i'd have some nice examples but that would exceed the frame of this platform.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 05:20:57 PM by magnamentis »

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: February 03, 2017, 05:59:13 AM »

Terry

Seriously Terry, is that the best you can do? OTOH, if Trump helps you to sleep better, then happy dreams!

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: February 03, 2017, 06:35:26 AM »
Austrian actor and politician Arnold Schwarzenegger highlighted that humans are suffering disrupted sleep due to Trump, in a video response to the president's insults during the prayer breakfast.  :-(

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: February 03, 2017, 07:57:50 AM »
Magna: Referencing your reply #1188, are you addressing Martin, or Neven?

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: February 03, 2017, 08:02:09 AM »
Austrian actor and politician Arnold Schwarzenegger highlighted that humans are suffering disrupted sleep due to Trump, in a video response to the president's insults during the prayer breakfast.  :-(

Pileus: I think in four words Arnold would say to Trump: Hasta la vista, baby!

logicmanPatrick

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • The Chatter Box
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1194 on: February 03, 2017, 10:06:41 AM »

Pileus: I think in four words Arnold would say to Trump: Hasta la vista, baby!

From the Guardian:

“Hey Donald, I have a great idea. Why don’t we switch jobs? You take over TV, since you’re such an expert in ratings, and I’ll take over your job, and then people can finally sleep comfortably again,”
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

OrganicSu

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1195 on: February 03, 2017, 10:24:04 AM »
Breathe more slowly if you want to live longer.
Swallow only when your mouth tells it is finished if you want to live forever.
No, this is not OT.
The above will help solve the Trump conundrum.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: February 03, 2017, 10:58:19 AM »

Terry

Seriously Terry, is that the best you can do? OTOH, if Trump helps you to sleep better, then happy dreams!

Thanks

The video isn't the best anyone can do. It's a horrifying example of the mindset of a person that should never be anywhere the levers of power, or allowed near sharp objects.

Like Patrick I've been around since 1946 and have seen a few regimes come and go. I couldn't vote in the States, but through my wife, donated to the Democratic cause for decades.

Trump is an ass, so was every American President during my lifetime. If you collectively decide to find a better way to vet your leaders you won't find much resistance here. Do however give some
thought to precedent.

Terry

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: February 03, 2017, 11:35:31 AM »
It is not hard to imagine that in the coming month Trump will attack ISIS (he has tasked the pentagon with giving him such a battle plan in the next four weeks), thus focusing world attention of fighting terrorist; thus leaving Putin free to continue to undermine Ukraine.  And should Ukraine revert to a Russian puppet, this would place Russian tanks within 450 km of Vienna (straight through Slovakia, see attached image).

The first linked article is entitled: "Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin pledge cooperation to 'tackle terrorism'".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-29/donald-trump-and-vladimir-putin-talk-terrorism-relations/8220866

Extract: "Russian President Vladimir Putin and US President Donald Trump have said they want their nations to cooperate to defeat terrorists, including the Islamic State group.

Earlier in January Mr Trump suggested that NATO was "obsolete" and that the US might not come to the aid of countries that do not meet targets for their own defence spending.

Mr Trump and Ms Merkel spoke about issues including the Middle East, North Africa, their ties to Russia and the conflict in eastern Ukraine, a German Government spokesperson said, in a statement approved by both countries.

The spokesperson said Ms Merkel and Mr Trump agreed to expand their cooperation in combating terrorism and militancy."

The second linked article is entitled: "While Trump Fiddles, Putin Steps Up the War in Ukraine".

http://www.newsweek.com/while-trump-fiddles-putin-steps-war-ukraine-550603

Extract: "The conflict has killed more than 10,000 Ukrainians, and displaced about 1.7 million people, according to estimates by the U.N. and other humanitarian aid groups.

The conflict—Europe’s only ongoing land war—retains the potential to escalate into a major, larger conflagration.

Ukrainian officials take seriously the possibility of a full-scale Russian invasion. Ukraine’s military doctrine identifies Russia as the country’s top military threat, and Poroshenko, Ukraine’s president, has ordered a top-to-bottom overhaul of the military by 2020.

There are also worries about the war spilling over to other countries throughout the region.

The U.S. and NATO have shifted military assets eastward in a move to reassure NATO’s eastern flank, which has been rattled by Russia’s aggression in Ukraine, as well as to deter Moscow from military adventurism—covert or overt—against any NATO member.

The situation throughout Eastern Europe, especially within the former boundaries of the Soviet Union, has become a dangerous cycle of brinkmanship, with NATO and Russia locked in a tit-for-tat ratcheting up of their military presence throughout the region."

Edit, see also the Jan 28th linked article entitled: "Trump gives Pentagon 30 days to develop strategy to defeat ISIS in Iraq & Syria

https://www.rt.com/usa/375434-trump-isis-defeat-strategy/

Extract:  President Donald Trump has signed an executive order directing the US military to develop a preliminary plan to defeat Islamic State in both Iraq and Syria. He discussed the issue earlier in a telephone conversation with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

“It is the policy of the United States that ISIS be defeated,” reads the order published on the White House website on Saturday. “Within 30 days, a preliminary draft of the Plan to defeat ISIS shall be submitted to the President by the Secretary of Defense.”"

Putin emphasized that “for over two centuries Russia has supported the United States, was its ally during the two world wars, and now sees the United States as a major partner in fighting international terrorism.”"

I spent ~2 years studying the Ukrainian situation. Nuland's coup put the most dangerous regime in power that I've seen since Pol Pot swept into power. Fortunately they are so busy stealing everything that they've done little damage outside their own borders.

Ask where Ukraine's bullion has gone.
Ask why Nuland was willing to fuck the EU for her coup.
Ask why all the trees were removed after snipers shot into the crowd.
Ask why Donetsk is under attack today.

Nazi's should never be our allies.

Terry

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: February 03, 2017, 01:21:58 PM »
The most important thing that the administration does.....is to make decisions.  And decisions require GOOD INFORMATION.  And good information STARTS WITH FACTS.

THAT....is why this administration is SO ILL EQUIPPED.  They never start with facts.  And...unfortunately....even if they were to start with facts....this administration would do poorly.  Why?  Take a brief look at the "players" on the team:

1)  Steve Bannon:  Was the head of an alt right...neo Nazi newspaper.  He hates Jews (I wonder why there wasn't a mention of Jews in the announcement yesterday:).  Breitbart News traffics in lies...and hate.  And this is the guy in Donald Trump's ear every day.

2)  Michael Flynn:      This guy is a conspiracy monger.  He just deleted his Twitter account because the tweets were continuing to damage him politically.  He is a LOOSE CANNON by many reports.  A hot head.

http://www.businessinsider.com/michael-flynn-appears-to-have-deleted-his-twitter-account-2017-1

3)  Jared Kushner:  36 year old Son in law of Donnies.  Father was convicted in 2005 of illegal campaign contributions, tax evasion, and witness tampering, and served time in federal prison. After his release he resumed his career in real estate.  And Jared is working with Daddy's money.

So that is the "inside 3".  Reince is in there as well....but he is nothing more than a lap dog.

Now....take a look at some of the cabinet members:

1)  Secretary of Energy:  So...Rick Perry.....the guy that is heading the department that overlooks policy on ALL ENERGY....has a 2.2 GPA from college....and wanted to do away with the dept of energy last time he ran for president.  And when he said that....he didn't even KNOW what the dept of energy did.  THINK ABOUT THAT.  What other decisions is he going to arrive at without even looking?  That should be comforting to people concerned with policy as THE WORLD changes from an energy system based on fossil fuels...to renewable energy....while the US energy department (with help from the Secretary of State) is promoting oil and gas.  Maybe we can bring back black and white TV's too.

2)  Secretary of Education:  Devoss has never taught in a public school.  Her kids NEVER attended a public school.  And yet she overlooks the department of education which is PRIMARILY composed of public schools.  She is WOEFULLY unprepared.

3)  Housing and Urban Development:  Who better to have lead the department than a neurosurgeon.  We certainly wouldn't want to name a neurosurgeon to a post like the Surgeon General....that deals with healthcare.  Let's find someone who knows nothing about it...and put them in there.  This is like saying....."Let's put 7 foot Shaquille Oneill at point guard instead of center."  WTF.

But the bigger issue is this:  What idiot would even THINK of hiring those people to THOSE positions?

The US now has a team with a HORRIBLE COACH.....and a HORRIBLE DECISION MAKING PROCESS.....and he chose a HORRIBLE TEAM of "D" players.  What could possibly go wrong?

You can't make good decisions without the truth.  Add in a horrible, ill equipped team....and this has disaster written all over it.  It will go from bad to worse.....   

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: February 03, 2017, 02:52:47 PM »
Buddy

You missed the illustrious Scott Pruitt as head of the EPA.
Wiki has a nice bio.

Terry