Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Trump  (Read 1473938 times)

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: The Trump Presidency (was "Presidential Poll")
« Reply #1200 on: February 03, 2017, 03:42:27 PM »
You missed the illustrious Scott Pruitt as head of the EPA.
Wiki has a nice bio.

I definitely wasn't finished.  Someone could go on....and on....and on.

Pruitt is HORRIBLE.  He will be a REAL FLASHPOINT in the coming months.

For two other "quickies".....look at the following:

1)  Secretary of Labor:  Donald Trump want's to get good paying jobs back to America.  So he nominates the CEO of burger flipping joint Hardees.  Who....by the way....encourages the franchisees to cheat their already low paid help....among other things sure to make labor feel warm and fuzzy.  Can't WAIT to get those HIGH PAYING BURGER FLIPPING JOBS BACK TO AMERICA.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/12/trumps-secretary-of-labor-pick-believes-workers-are-overprotected-and-shouldnt-get-breaks/

2)  Secretary of Transportation: And instead of hiring someone with ACTUAL EXPERIENCE ON THE JOB in the labor department like Elain Choa...who was Secretary of Labor under George Bush.....let's put her in Transportation where she doesn't know anything.  Of course....the fact that she is married to Senator Mitch McConnell....who is a climate denier.....should do wonders for the department of transportation while the rest of the world MOVES HELLBENT TOWARDS ELECTRIFICATION......while we look stagnate with fossil fuel transportation.

My point is this:  It is NOT just a listing of bad decisions.  This is just the tip of the iceberg.  Because Trump has HORRIBLE DECISION MAKING ABILITY.  HORRIBLE.  And because he such as an ass...and a horrible boss.....most GOOD FOLKS won't work for him.  And so we end up with a "D team" supporting a "D boss".  THAT....never ends well.

The decision to "leave out" the mention of Jews this week? WTF.  Killing millions of Jews doesn't deserve mention EACH AND EVERY YEAR SO WE DON'T REPEAT SUCH A CF?

His decision to do the raid in Yemen.  What would President Obama have done?  If you recall....Obama was INITMATLY involved in the tweeking of the plan to get Bin Laden. Obama wanted additional backup.

Instead....we have Trump making the decision around the dinner table.  We will NEVER KNOW what Obama would have done.  But we know he takes it VERY SERIOUSLY....and has a methodical decision making process.  Something that Trump SORELY LACKS.

On a lighter note....I hope everyone watches the Super Bowl this weekend.  Houston is supposed to have a crowd in excess of 1.5 million at the stadium...so it should be rocking. ;)

« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 04:31:29 PM by Buddy »
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
Re: Presidential poll for US citizens on the forum
« Reply #1201 on: February 03, 2017, 04:06:57 PM »
Budmantis

Please consider what the Republicans have done to your country, and the world, just this century.

I fear Clinton because of her belligerence re. Russia. If this is your concern then by all means leave a protest vote, but if climate change is of any concern then Clinton must beat Trump.

I moved to California in 1963 and have been "politically aware" ever since. I was there when Kennedy was assassinated and when "W" stole the election from Gore.
Imagine where we would be if we'd had Gore for 2 terms instead of "W".

I have doubts about Hillary, unfortunately I have no doubts what Trump will mean for the world.

Allowing Trump in will NOT improve the political climate & will be a disaster for climate change.

Terry

Terry, my apologies for belaboring the point, but your comments are somewhat at variance with your comments from three months ago. I did vote for Hillary, very reluctantly and was relieved in a way when she lost. Trump and Clinton were both bad choices for President. Of the two, Trump is by far the most dangerous imho, as evidenced by his actions thus far.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 04:31:38 PM by budmantis »

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #1202 on: February 03, 2017, 04:40:42 PM »
I spent ~2 years studying the Ukrainian situation. Nuland's coup put the most dangerous regime in power that I've seen since Pol Pot swept into power. Fortunately they are so busy stealing everything that they've done little damage outside their own borders.

So is the Trump Administration just blowing smoke up our collective yazoo, with Haley's comments?

See: "U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley blames Russia for new fighting in Ukraine".

http://www.latimes.com/politics/washington/la-na-essential-washington-updates-u-n-ambassador-nikki-haley-blames-1486078737-htmlstory.html

Extract: "The new U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley, on Thursday blamed Russia for renewed, deadly fighting in Ukraine and said U.S. sanctions against Moscow would remain in place."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: February 03, 2017, 05:14:20 PM »
Pressure will come in many forms....and from many places over the coming months.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38805196?SThisFB

Some will come protests in the streets.  Some will come in way of protests NOT to meet with Trump (for instance if San Antonio Spurs win the NBA championship).  Some will come from a slowly growing chorus of Republicans that get fed up.  And some will come from a growing chorus of international leaders who don't like having an impulsive and repulsive pig as the leader of the "free world".

The process continues.....

magnamentis

« Reply #1204 on: February 03, 2017, 05:24:53 PM »
Magna: Referencing your reply #1188, are you addressing Martin, or Neven?

got'ya, i altered my post so that it's clear, thanks for bringing it to may attention. i replied to @Neven about
the entire world being sucked in and was meant as a little positivism, referring to the fact that we're not all sucked in which we can clearly see in this thread and from all the "echos" from across the world, more a YES BUT not a "No But" :-)

magnamentis

« Reply #1205 on: February 03, 2017, 05:27:31 PM »
this thread is gaining the kind of momentum we are missing in the arctic this "freezing season" :-)  ;)

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: February 03, 2017, 06:32:02 PM »
The linked article is entitled: "The Bizarre Far-Right Billionaire Behind Bannon and Trump's Presidency", and it documents the way that billionaire Robert Mercer's alt-right network saved the Trump campaign, and how Trump rewarded this alt-right network with access to the levers of power.

http://therealnews.com/t2/story:18114:The-Bizarre-Far-Right-Billionaire-Behind-Bannon-and-Trump%27s-Presidency

Extract: "When all seemed to be falling apart for Trump this summer, one shadowy billionaire offered up his own massive political infrastructure, which included Steve Bannon and Kellyanne Conway, and saved Trump's campaign from demise.

Enter billionaire hedge fund manager Robert Mercer, and his daughter Rebecca. They've been eyeing Trump ever since their first choice, Ted Cruz, dropped out of the primaries back in May.

In 2015, Mercer had single-handedly catapulted Cruz to the front of the Republican field. Throwing more than $13 million into a super PAC he created for the now failed candidate. But with the Trump campaign faltering, and struggling for support, there's a second chance for the Mercers to make a big bet.

The Trump campaign is well aware of this, in fact, sources within Mercer's super PAC would later tell Bloomberg News that shortly after Cruz drops out of the race, Ivanka Trump and her wealthy developer husband Jared Kushner, approach the Mercers, asking if they'd be willing to shift their support behind Trump. The answer is an eventual, but resounding yes.

An essential part of Trump's propaganda, is that he represents the interests of workers, the little guy, and will take on the big corporations. But the proof of his loyalties is in his appointments. His Cabinet, the richest in history, along with his close advisors include major players from Wall Street and corporate America.

Rex Tillerson, Andrew Puzder, Linda McMahon, Stephen Swharzman, Todd Ricketts, Gary Cohn, Steve Bannon, Betsy DeVos, Elaine Chao, Wilbur Ross, Steven Mnuchin, Carl Icahn, Peter Theil. These are the true faces of a Trump presidency.

In the end, there are no workers, or little guys on the Trump team. Only the allies of rainmakers Robert and Rebecca Mercer, the billionaires whose political hedge pushed Donald Trump into the White House."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: February 03, 2017, 07:12:41 PM »
Enter billionaire hedge fund manager Robert Mercer, and his daughter Rebecca. They've been eyeing Trump ever since their first choice, Ted Cruz, dropped out of the primaries back in May.

And THAT is why Cruz crawled and graveled his way back to Trump. ;)

Follow the money.....

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #1208 on: February 03, 2017, 07:32:50 PM »
The linked commentary covers a topic that will be interesting to watch as the President Donald Steve Bannon Trump presidency unfolds:  how far left does the progressive wing of the party and the broader base take the Dems?  Be mindful of the source, as it is owned by noted Australian Rupert Murdoch.

IMO the lurch leftward will continue, but will not be as extreme and pure as the Tea Party.  Like it or not, the oligarchy is not going anywhere, and the Corporate Dems will likely survive, although both will be changed and influenced.  This is not to say that individual companies and public figures will not get swept away by the leftist progressives, because social media and the hyper-awareness of the citizenry is even more advanced than in 2009.  But the majority of the country (including Dems) is not interested a Bernie Sanders model of governance, at the current time.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/this-resistance-is-no-tea-party-1486081630?mod=e2two

"By contrast, the entire concept of a progressive tea party is a mistake. It’s doomed at every level—because it is entirely premised on the O’Donnell model.

Consider the recent rallying cry of progressive star Markos Moulitsas. “The Tea Party didn’t really become a force until it started ousting Republicans it didn’t feel represented them,” he told the New York Times. “Democrats either need to feed, nurture and aggressively champion the resistance, or they need to get out of the way in favor of someone who will.”

Message: Get with our agenda, or be purged. The progressives showing up for protests and demanding Supreme Court filibusters are determined to move their party aggressively to the left. Any Democrat who does not sign up for their policies and their resistance will face a primary."
-----------
"Democrats might also remember another woman from 2010: Blanche Lincoln. The two-term Democratic senator from Arkansas caused liberal hysteria in 2009 when she chose to reflect her voters and spoke out against both the public option for health care and a pro-union measure called card check. Left-wing Democrats pummeled her back home and subjected her to a grueling primary. She won that primary, only to lose to Republican John Boozman in a landslide. Even an unsuccessful progressive tea party could be deadly for Democrats.

The original tea party was about making conservatives in this center-right country act like conservatives again. The progressive tea party is about making Democrats in this center-right country act like Bernie Sanders. Have at it."

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: February 03, 2017, 07:36:40 PM »
Pressure comes in many interesting forms....

Shutting down Ivanka Trump's clothing line at Nordstroms...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nordstrom-drop-ivanka-trumps-clothing-accessories-line-041743551--finance.html

Moving golf events from Trump golf courses......  Also, Trump had to pay up over $5 million when he tried to swindle money out of members at his Jupiter golf course.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/01/news/companies/trump-lawsuit-jupiter-golf-club/

The pressure has only just started for Donnie....and we're only two weeks in.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: February 03, 2017, 07:46:38 PM »

And THAT is why Cruz crawled and graveled his way back to Trump. ;)

Follow the money.....

The linked article is entitled: "Trump Signs Executive Orders Watering Down Dodd-Frank Financial Regulations".  It is official now that Team Trump is rewarding financial speculators like hedge fund billionaire Robert Mercer by watering down Dodd-Frank Financial Regulations.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/trump-signs-executive-orders-watering-down-dodd-frank-financial-regulations-n716481

Extract: "President Donald Trump signed an executive order Friday scaling back the sweeping 2010 Dodd-Frank financial regulatory framework enacted under his predecessor as a direct response to the financial crisis."
― Leon C. Megginson

bosbas

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #1211 on: February 03, 2017, 08:27:50 PM »
In reply 1207 is the WSJ calling this a center-right government?  Rediculous. Obama can be called center right.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: February 03, 2017, 08:34:35 PM »

In reply 1207 is the WSJ calling this a center-right government?  Rediculous. Obama can be called center right.

WSJ is owned by Murdock.  After he bought it.....it has lost any credibility it had before.  Which was ALWAYS slanted to the pro business side.....but now it is pro business at any price.

bosbas

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #1213 on: February 03, 2017, 08:40:47 PM »
I considered myself centre right in 2002 only to find out after moving to the US that my position was left from the democrats. Now, I'm most sympathetic to the  Green Party.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: February 03, 2017, 08:53:51 PM »
When I lived in the western US (Colorado and Oregon) I considered myself a "fiscal conservative and social moderate".  All my friends thought I was a "closet Republican".

Now I live in Georgia....still feel I am a fiscal conservative and social moderate.  Only in Georgia....I'm considered by others to be a social liberal, and people think I am a "closet Democrat".

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #1215 on: February 03, 2017, 09:44:37 PM »

Terry, my apologies for belaboring the point, but your comments are somewhat at variance with your comments from three months ago. I did vote for Hillary, very reluctantly and was relieved in a way when she lost. Trump and Clinton were both bad choices for President. Of the two, Trump is by far the most dangerous imho, as evidenced by his actions thus far.

My proxy vote, (through my wife) had been cast early for Hillary. I too felt relief when she lost & I concur that neither should have been candidates.

If, as ASLR posits below the Trumpster reverts to a belligerent position WRT Putin then we really do have the worst of all possible outcomes.

I probably feel betrayed after a lifetime of supporting liberal, Democratic causes, and possibly I'm being harder on Clinton than a more objective observer would be.

That race is behind us & Trump will influence American politics for the rest of our lifetimes. I voted with my feet in 2004, but that wall may soon be as effective at keeping Americans in as keeping others out.

I wish that I saw  a bright path going forward, but I don't.

Depression alternates with strong feelings of desperation. Is the future one of slow strangulation under Republican idiocracy, the swift annihilation of all under billowing mushroom clouds, or perhaps the slow boiling of a planet because profit is more important than life.

For some reason attempting to observe everything from the dwindling Arctic ice to the plight of civilians in Donetsk and Luhansk seems increasingly important.

On the 50th anniversary of Kennedy's assassination I had the opportunity to express my gratitude to Khrushchev's son for his father's brave decision to back away during the Cuban fiasco. It would be nice to live long enough to thank Putin for his amazing forbearance under Western provocation.

Apologize for the dark reverie
Terry
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 11:07:29 PM by TerryM »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: February 03, 2017, 10:25:35 PM »

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: February 03, 2017, 11:20:41 PM »
Pressure comes in many interesting forms....

Shutting down Ivanka Trump's clothing line at Nordstroms...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nordstrom-drop-ivanka-trumps-clothing-accessories-line-041743551--finance.html

Moving golf events from Trump golf courses......  Also, Trump had to pay up over $5 million when he tried to swindle money out of members at his Jupiter golf course.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/01/news/companies/trump-lawsuit-jupiter-golf-club/

The pressure has only just started for Donnie....and we're only two weeks in.

Referencing my reply #1172, I posted an article discussing a boycott of thirty three retailers that either carry Trump products or supported his campaign.

In regards to the Anonymous website, it sounds pretty scary. They've given POTUS an ultimatum and the promise of a day of mass protests if he doesn't comply? I want to look into these people more (if possible).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 12:12:12 AM by budmantis »

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: February 03, 2017, 11:43:16 PM »
I wish that I saw  a bright path going forward, but I don't.

Apologize for the dark reverie
Terry

I understand how you feel, as I feel the same way. Dark reverie, but true! 

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: February 04, 2017, 12:53:26 AM »
The linked article is entitled: "Populism, Goldman Sachs-Style", and the article makes it clear that the American public will be on the hook again for Wall Street's potential (probable eventual) speculation losses associated with Trump's executive orders to water-down Dodd-Frank.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/thomas-jefferson-street/articles/2017-02-03/donald-trumps-wall-street-executive-orders-prove-hes-no-populist

Extract: "Trump's executives orders deregulating Wall Street show he has no interest in protecting working Americans.

While it's unclear how Trump's Dodd-Frank order will play out in the specifics, a second order he signed puts in stark relief his administration's unique focus on ensuring that the financial sector can scam working Americans."
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 01:17:23 AM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: February 04, 2017, 01:17:44 AM »
The linked article is entitled: "Poll: Trump has highest disapproval rating of any newly elected president".

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/trump-approvals-234628

Extract: "President Donald Trump has the highest disapproval rating of any newly elected president, according to a CNN/ORC poll released Friday.
Just two weeks into his presidency, Trump’s disapproval is at a historic 53 percent — higher than any president before him since polls began tracking it. With an approval rating of 44 percent, Trump is the only president to have a negative net approval rating this early into his administration."
― Leon C. Megginson

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #1221 on: February 04, 2017, 01:31:52 AM »
The linked article is entitled: "Populism, Goldman Sachs-Style", and the article makes it clear that the American public will be on the hook again for Wall Street's potential (probable eventual) speculation losses associated with Trump's executive orders to water-down Dodd-Frank.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/thomas-jefferson-street/articles/2017-02-03/donald-trumps-wall-street-executive-orders-prove-hes-no-populist

Extract: "Trump's executives orders deregulating Wall Street show he has no interest in protecting working Americans.

While it's unclear how Trump's Dodd-Frank order will play out in the specifics, a second order he signed puts in stark relief his administration's unique focus on ensuring that the financial sector can scam working Americans."

Another opportunity ?

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #1222 on: February 04, 2017, 02:43:09 AM »
http://www.gq.com/story/donald-trump-is-just-a-puppet-steve-bannon-is-president?intcid=recirc_amp

He's casually throwing around phrases like "new political order" as if they aren't terrifying when paired with him running roughshod over the rights of...well, everyone who isn't a rich, white, straight male. And if you still think Trump is actually in control, here's what Bannon said of his so-called boss last year:

"[Donald Trump is a] blunt instrument for us,” he told me earlier this summer. “I don’t know whether he really gets it or not.”

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: February 04, 2017, 03:58:10 AM »
As expected the executive branch defiance of the courts last weekend was a big deal.  The linked article explains the events at the airports and Custom's refusal to obey court orders, and the legal analysis.  It's actually impeachable if trump was involved in any way, and if proven.  Aside from the reaper, it looks like the formula for his demise will be Hubris + Arrogance + Incompetence.  Either in the form of a failed one term presidency, or removal by congress.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/trump-officials-travel-ban-234633

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: February 04, 2017, 05:57:11 AM »
http://www.gq.com/story/donald-trump-is-just-a-puppet-steve-bannon-is-president?intcid=recirc_amp

He's casually throwing around phrases like "new political order" as if they aren't terrifying when paired with him running roughshod over the rights of...well, everyone who isn't a rich, white, straight male. And if you still think Trump is actually in control, here's what Bannon said of his so-called boss last year:

"[Donald Trump is a] blunt instrument for us,” he told me earlier this summer. “I don’t know whether he really gets it or not.”

So Bannon is the man behind the curtain. Trump doesn't get it, his state of mind makes him very useful as a tool by Bannon who sounds more and more like an anarchist. Thanks for the link Dr. T.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1225 on: February 04, 2017, 06:37:42 AM »
I am disappointed to see these comments addressed to Neven:

"I thought you lived somewhere in MODERN EUROPE.....I didn't realize you live in EAST GERMANY where freedom of the press was not seen as a "big deal."

"I'm glad to see that you found your "big boy activist pants"

On my part, let me say this: Screw you. Neven has been kind enough to create this forum. You want to abuse him, go create your own forum.

sidd

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: February 04, 2017, 08:02:41 AM »

"I thought you lived somewhere in MODERN EUROPE.....I didn't realize you live in EAST GERMANY where freedom of the press was not seen as a "big deal."

On my part, let me say this: Screw you. Neven has been kind enough to create this forum. You want to abuse him, go create your own forum.

sidd

I followed the back and forth between Neven and Buddy with great interest. With very few exceptions, I thought it was respectful but contentious. With respect to your opinion Sidd, which I value, I thought it was a fair exchange. I've found Neven's point of view in this area to be very persuasive, but I believe Buddy's answers were equally persuasive. I am certainly thankful that Neven has hosted this Forum and he deserves our respect, but he did challenge Buddy and Buddy had no choice but to acquit himself, and I give him a lot of credit for standing his ground even if my opinions are to a small degree different.

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 744
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #1227 on: February 04, 2017, 08:20:46 AM »
Sidd, there a few people who have plugged up multiple threads for months on various " trump " posts . Science threads, the rest , policy and solutions etc. We have a "show posts " option that shows literally hundreds of " trump " posts by individual members of this forum. It is all very distasteful with far too much shouting , name calling and general unplesantness. I can watch the same crap on my T.V.  but when T.V. conversation is more polite than those posting on this forum I think we have collectively gone far astray. I don't think anyone on the forum
 likes the current situation here in the U.S. but can we please tone it down? I know I can choose to ignore individual posters or threads and maybe that is why I missed the quotes you just posted
( maybe they have been deleted ) but we shouldn't allow this fine forum to grovel in the mud. IMO , a shame.
I am running a bit of a fever. If anyone would like to tell me to kiss off feel free but please save Neven for more important issues, like sea ice.

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: February 04, 2017, 08:27:25 AM »
Ex-republican and longtime scoundrel provides a cliff notes version of inequality, and suggests mass death is the most direct way to change it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/want-to-reduce-inequality-try-the-black-death/2017/02/03/e90551e2-e7e9-11e6-bf6f-301b6b443624_story.html?hpid=hp_no-name_opinion-card-b%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.59ff1ff11c56

"In 2013, America’s top 1 percent of earners paid 25.4 percent of all federal taxes, which fund more than 100 anti-poverty programs, dozens of which provide direct cash or in-kind grants to individuals. Combined spending by federal, state and local programs approaches $1 trillion. In 2012, families in the bottom income quintile (less than $17,104 in earned income) received net government benefits of $27,171."
----------------
"The second myth, that the rich inherit rather than earn their money, is true of less than 3 in 10 American billionaires, a third of whom are either first-generation Americans or were born elsewhere. And the percentage of the Forbes 400 list of richest Americans who grew up wealthy has fallen from 60 percent in 1982 to 32 percent today"
-----------------
"About 56 percent of those in the top income quintile will drop from it within 20 years. Barely one-half of the top 1 percent of earners are in that category for 10 consecutive years. And, says Tanner, “one out of every five children born to parents in the bottom income quintile will reach one of the top two quintiles in adulthood.”
------------------
"When developed nations live in what Scheidel calls “a world without horsemen” — without revolutions, mass-mobilization wars, epidemic diseases — reducing inequality is the province of governments, which know, or by now should know, how little leverage their policies have on income distributions driven by vast economic forces."

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: February 04, 2017, 02:52:03 PM »

Most good ideas and all the BEST ideas don't come from people agreeing with someone. If you look at Trump.....he wants people to just "fall in line" and never question.  Questioning is HEALTHY.....even if/when it is contentious.  Good ideas hold up to tough questioning.

My point....was that the US is heading TOWARDS an environment that we have ONE FAKE NEWS STATION that is going to control the information we get from Trump's team... to people in the US.  To me....that is "Russia 2.0".  And thus...my reference to East Germany.

So THAT is why I "pushed the envelope" on my remark to Neven on that issue.  I can assure you....and I SHOULD HAVE STATED when I was taking "aggressive remarks" aimed at Neven...that I ABSOLUTELY THINK HE IS AWESOME FOR THIS WEBSITE.  Afterall....he and I ARE on the SAME TEAM.  And him doing this WHOLE WEBSITE IS HIS ACT OF ACTIVISM.

Now.....would I prefer that he take a more "vocal" activist stance...and have taken it earlier?  Yes...and I conveyed that....if aggressively....in my prior post.

But make NO MISTAKE:  I ADMIRE NEVEN FOR THIS WEBSITE (and ALL the work that goes into it...including the babysitting of people like me that push the envelope.  And I further admire him for the simple fact that I AM STILL POSTING.  Someone of "lesser ethics"......and someone who is not as comfortable with himself......and someone who didn't understand that I (Buddy) was NOT attacking him maliciously...but WAS trying to make a distinct point.....someone other than Neven could have and would have SHUT ME DOWN PRONTO.

I answered part of that above.  I realize that not everyone is an activist in the same way.  Obviously.....this website is a HUGE undertaking...and THAT is a VERY REAL AND VERY IMPORTANT PIECE OF ACTIVISM

I don't blame you for that thought.  If I were in your position....I might say the same.  Maybe even more aggressively.  So...I'll take that shot.  And.....as noted above.....Neven has done a great service in putting up this website.

But again.....remember that DISAGREEMENT IS OK.  In fact IT IS HEALTHY.  As long as it deals with FACTS, HISTORY, SCIENCE,....stuff that is real.   My reference to East Germany was aggressive.  But I will bet it made some people think:  "Hmmmmm....what would the US be like if they only had FOX News?"

Freedom of speech and freedom of the press will CONTINUE to come under fire in the coming 18 - 24 months.

We have to remember who is on the same "side" in this ordeal.....and what we are fighting for.  I have a TON OF RESPECT FOR NEVEN.  But that doesn't mean that I won't disagree with him again....even aggressively.

Global warming/climate change is going to move to the front and center over the next few months....and likely stay there for a while.  And a LOT of energy is going to be needed to fight the FAKE NEWS outlets....starting with FOX.

Have a great weekend...........

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: February 04, 2017, 03:04:18 PM »
Add another reason to get rid of Donnie to the growing list....

http://www.palmerreport.com/opinion/rep-joaquin-castro-house-will-impeach-donald-trump-for-ordering-agents-to-defy-court/1344/

Also....Donnie had a pretty good week on the poll front.  He was only down 1% in "net approval rating".  Now down to MINUS 9% on Gallup.

He needs to work his way towards 30%....so this is going to take many months....

magnamentis

« Reply #1231 on: February 04, 2017, 03:16:44 PM »
America First, Switzerland Second _ Nice  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) LOL

https://www.facebook.com/srf1/videos/1464882490212532/

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: February 04, 2017, 04:09:33 PM »
One of the things that Trump DOESN'T want to become...is the butt of jokes (like Magnamantus posted above).  Here are some other countries that are taking shots at Trump as well:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tv-satire-europe-donald-trump_us_5894791ee4b0c1284f25556f?p1jk57hzdfvtpgb9&

I expect this to happen in the US as time goes on.  It has already started some....but mostly with just our comedians (LOVE the "long tie look" of Jon Stewart).

But what I am talking about is HIM AND HIS STAFF getting attacked more and more with "comedy" and jokes.....but by politicians AND news organizations.  That isn't happening much YET...but I would look for that as a further sign that Trump is losing his grip on "power"...and that would be reflected in FURTHER deterioration in his polling numbers many months down the road....

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: February 04, 2017, 04:26:05 PM »
The word from a recent defector to England from North Korea is that the NK leader is "losing his grip" on power.  So this heightens the chances of conflict between NK and the US.

Just what we need.....two insecure....thin skinned power mongers, both wanting to "consolidate their power".  Seriously....this is a bad situation:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/north-korea-dismisses-key-aide-leader-kim-jong-022048796.html

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: February 04, 2017, 05:12:52 PM »
An interesting point of view about Trump by his friend, Howard Stern:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/02/media/kfile-stern-on-trump/index.html

"Howard Stern said on his program Wednesday that Trump will hate being president and the role will be detrimental to his mental health."

From Huffington Post:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/elizabeth-warren-congressional-progressives_us_5895e6b5e4b0406131373015?e35ezb6yotn1giudi&

"Elizabeth Warren Gives Progressives In Congress A Rousing Call To Arms Against Trump."

“Our moment of crisis didn’t begin with the election of Donald Trump. We were already in crisis.”

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: February 04, 2017, 05:19:36 PM »
Our "Twitterer in chief" has some choice words for federal judge James Robart who ruled the travel ban unconstitutional, in his latest twitter rant:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38868571

"Trump vows to restore travel ban suspended by federal judge."

theoldinsane

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1236 on: February 04, 2017, 05:34:39 PM »
Slightly OT

Did Sweden's deputy PM just troll Trump with a women-only parody picture?

Swedish Deputy Prime Minister and Climate Minister Isabella Lövin appears to have taken a swipe at US President Donald Trump by posting an image of her and colleagues parodying the viral image of Trump signing off on an anti-abortion executive order while surrounded by men.

Many of the people commenting quickly made comparisons with the now infamous image of Trump signing an executive order cutting funding to health groups which advise on abortions, surrounded by a group of administration members and advisors comprised entirely of men.

Asked by The Local about the striking resemblance with the other image, Lövin said in a statement:

"We are a feminist government, which shows in this photo. Ultimately it is up to the observer to interpret the photo."

http://www.thelocal.se/20170203/swedens-deputy-pm-trolls-trump-in-abortion-order-image-parody

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #1237 on: February 04, 2017, 05:35:19 PM »
Our "Twitterer in chief" has some choice words for federal judge James Robart who ruled the travel ban unconstitutional, in his latest twitter rant:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38868571

"Trump vows to restore travel ban suspended by federal judge."

From that article, the Orange Menace tweeted about this,
""When a country is no longer able to say who can, and who cannot , come in & out, especially for reasons of safety & security - big trouble!" he tweeted separately."

Of course when he refers to "a country" he means himself and his own decisions.  No humility over the reality that the President is simply head of the executive, not empowered to make his own law or to impose his interpretation of Constitutional constraints.  If he wants to ban visa-holders from specific countries, he needs a new law from Congress.  If he wants to ban Muslims, he needs a Constitutional amendment.  Such hubris.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: February 04, 2017, 05:37:34 PM »

Did Sweden's deputy PM just troll Trump with a women-only parody picture?

The linked article is entitled: "Now Europe’s Trying to Wall Itself Off From Migrants—And Trump".

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/02/04/now-europe-s-trying-to-wall-itself-off-from-migrants-and-trump.html

Extract: "Trump, who has made no bones about his lack of affection for the European Union might just have done what decades of summits and attempts at unity have failed to do. Europe seems, for the first time in perhaps ever, finally united. But it’s not because of borders or treaties. Europe is uniting in its resolve to stand up to Trump."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: February 04, 2017, 07:01:34 PM »
The linked article is entitled: “How Steve Bannon’s ‘bible’ explains Trump’s first 2 weeks as president”, and it explains that Bannon is likely using ancient Chinese military strategy to distract his opponents while Team Trump pursues its true kleptocratic goals (partially tied to fossil fuel production).

https://www.yahoo.com/news/how-steve-bannons-bible-explains-trumps-first-2-weeks-as-president-141238816.html

Extract: “Bannon is a fan of ancient Chinese military strategy literature, such as Sun Tzu’s “The Art of War,” which emphasizes the importance of using secrecy and trickery, as well as creating confusion, to accomplish one’s goals. A former colleague said it was his “bible.”

“All warfare is based on deception,” Sun Tzu wrote in his 5th century tract. “Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him.”

There has been great speculation about the degree to which Trump and Bannon are creating chaos intentionally, as part of a strategy to confuse opponents and discredit the media, or just making things up as they go.

However, journalist Michael Wolff, who has spent extended time with Bannon, said he is “smart, considerate, interesting, someone who has given a lot of thought to everything he’s now saying.”

Regardless, the puzzlement over Trump’s goals could be in its own way the product of a Sun Tzu-like strategy. One Chinese commentary on Sun Tzu wrote that “the whole secret lies in confusing the enemy, so that he cannot fathom our real intent.”

There are other elements in ancient Chinese military literature that might shed some light on Trump’s actions or provide clues to Bannon’s tactics. There are numerous references in a collection of sayings called the “The Thirty-Six Stratagems” to the usefulness of surprise and misdirection.
“Stomp the grass to scare the snake,” it says. “Do something unaimed but spectacular to provoke a response of the enemy, thereby giving away his plans or position, or just taunt him. Do something unusual, strange, and unexpected as this will arouse the enemy’s suspicion and disrupt his thinking.

“Feign madness but keep your balance,” it says. “Hide behind the mask of a fool, a drunk, or a madman to create confusion about your intentions and motivations.”
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: February 04, 2017, 07:05:20 PM »
The linked article is entitled: “Bannon’s ‘Strategic Initiatives’ Cabal Inside the NSC Is Dangerous Hypocrisy”, and it indicates that Bannon is leading a cabal that is pushing a hidden alt-right agenda.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/02/01/bannons-strategic-initiatives-cabal-inside-the-nsc-is-dangerous-hypocrisy/

Extract: “It  has been a tough few days for the National Security Council. The news that Trump’s political guru Stephen Bannon secured a place on the NSC’s Principals Committee was troubling enough, but the creation of a Bannon-led “Strategic Initiatives Group” within the NSC further erodes its stature, independence, and influence.

We would be the first to say that the NSC is imperfect. As two people who worked in President Barack Obama’s White House, and who were designated to lead Hillary Clinton’s NSC “landing team” had she won the presidency, we’ve thought a lot about how to make the NSC and interagency process work better — something we’ll have a lot more to say about at Shadow Government. For now, suffice to say that in almost every way, Trump’s team has done the opposite of what we would suggest. This kind of “disruption” may feel good right now and may send Washington’s Twitterverse into apoplectic frenzy — but Trump will soon learn that it will only bring dysfunction, and likely worse. Dust off your histories of Iran-Contra to get a sense of what may come.

But instead of reforming the National Security Council, it looks like Trump is diminishing its role altogether. Normally, the national security advisor (currently Michael Flynn) has had a direct line to the president and has carried more clout than any other member of the president’s team on foreign policy.

The hypocrisy here is outrageous. For years, Republicans howled about the way the Obama team ran the NSC, but now they don’t seem to mind that under Trump the NSC could be run into the ground.

They complained about the size of the NSC staff and its lack of accountability through congressional oversight, but are somehow OK with the president’s political counselor setting up a kind of shadow NSC that promises to be even more secretive and unaccountable. And they disparaged the “kids” who became close Obama NSC advisers, but seem perfectly fine with Kushner, 36, playing an even larger role. “
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: February 04, 2017, 07:11:26 PM »
The linked article is entitled: “US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson praised by former Russian minister: 'He was fantastic'”.  Is it possible that Bannon et. al. are currently distracting potential critics until the new Secretary of State Rex Tillerson builds a stronger alliance with Russia?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/rex-tillerson-donald-trump-us-secretary-state-praised-russian-minister-fantastic-a7562166.html

Extract: “Warm words from Moscow come amid concerns within US intelligence agencies that Russia interfered in the US election to help Donald Trump become President.

Mr Tillerson made his name in Russia by helping turn a technically difficult project to drill for oil off Sakhalin Island into a success, earning billions of dollars in tax revenue for Moscow. Fortune magazine even suggested Mr Putin might have a “man crush” on the new Secretary of State.”

Edit, see also (focus on future talks about counter-terrorism cooperation):

https://www.yahoo.com/news/putin-already-testing-trump-194135912.html

Extract: "“The Kremlin has been emboldened by the election of Mr. Trump who vowed to seek good relations with Vladimir Putin and hinted at removing sanctions,” concurred Dalibor Rohac of the American Enterprise Institute. An aggressive posture in Eastern Europe, he said, gives Russia a leg up in any future talks about counterterrorism cooperation, whether that’s “real or imaginary.” Art of the Deal, indeed."
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 08:41:02 PM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: February 04, 2017, 08:11:02 PM »
I'm putting the following video clip on renewables in this thread because of the "political threat" it poses to Trump and his fossil fuel funders/cabinet.  This threat is becoming all to real....all too fast.  And the fossil fuel boys will try to slow it down anyway they can.  Just ask Wyoming.

https://climatecrocks.com/2017/02/04/could-evs-and-solar-blindside-big-oil/

So ANYTHING that fossil fuel money can do to SLOW DOWN RENEWABLES....will be on the table.  And if they need help from Russia...I'm sure Russia will be more (actually WAS more) than happy to help.

I'll be watching Chevy Bolt sales closely.  They are starting their roll out....and I think their January numbers were about 1,100 in California for January.  Bolt is "staging" their rollout over about 10 months or so....adding more states as time goes by.  But I think Chevy has a REAL STAR on their hands....and ALL the reviews have been very good.  If the Bolt turns into a star for Chevy....it is going to push other car makers to ramp up as quickly as they can.

Electric cars and PV's for home/business/utilities...are "connected"....and they will create a "feedback effect."  Only a GOOD FEEDBACK EFFECT.   

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: February 04, 2017, 08:20:05 PM »
From that article, the Orange Menace tweeted about this,
""When a country is no longer able to say who can, and who cannot , come in & out, especially for reasons of safety & security - big trouble!" he tweeted separately."

Of course when he refers to "a country" he means himself and his own decisions.  No humility over the reality that the President is simply head of the executive, not empowered to make his own law or to impose his interpretation of Constitutional constraints.  If he wants to ban visa-holders from specific countries, he needs a new law from Congress.  If he wants to ban Muslims, he needs a Constitutional amendment.  Such hubris.

If he keeps this up, he's not going to last long. I think derision is something he simply cant stand, such as that article (The Old Insane) posted about the Swedish deputy PM trolling Trump. He's a good candidate for a nervous breakdown I think.

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: February 04, 2017, 09:14:05 PM »
Beyond the annoyances created by this thread, one conclusion is entirely appropriate:  the effort to battle climate change denial within the US federal government will be even much more difficult than expected from even a few weeks ago. 

The level of disinformation and outright lying about *everything* coming out of the Executive Branch is simply stunning.  Coupled with the suppression of climate science programs and outright hostility to science, there's a low probability of any real progress if this administration serves the full 4 year term.  A hypothetical ice free arctic in September or other climate shock events will be waived off or explained with some nonsensical blather.

It's going to up to the climate scientists and reasearchers to continue their work, be persistent and persuasive with communicating the data and the implications.  And especially so for those in Europe and elsewhere outside of the US where there is a more supportive environment.  The media will also need to step up to fill the vacuum, and to present a fact and science based portrayal of what is going on with Earth's climate, and how renewables offer a path to move away from FF consumption.  Of course they have a mixed record on that front.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: February 04, 2017, 10:34:32 PM »
Is this the Russian connection at work?

Trial Balloon for a Coup?
Analyzing the news of the past 24 hours
(6) Finally, I want to highlight a story that many people haven’t noticed. On Wednesday, Reuters reported (in great detail) how 19.5% of Rosneft, Russia’s state oil company, has been sold to parties unknown. This was done through a dizzying array of shell companies, so that the most that can be said with certainty now is that the money “paying” for it was originally loaned out to the shell layers by VTB (the government’s official bank), even though it’s highly unclear who, if anyone, would be paying that loan back; and the recipients have been traced as far as some Cayman Islands shell companies.

Why is this interesting? Because the much-maligned Steele Dossier (the one with the golden showers in it) included the statement that Putin had offered Trump 19% of Rosneft if he became president and removed sanctions.  The reason this is so interesting is that the dossier said this in July, and the sale didn’t happen until early December. And 19.5% sounds an awful lot like “19% plus a brokerage commission.”

Conclusive? No. But it raises some very interesting questions for journalists to investigate.
https://medium.com/@yonatanzunger/trial-balloon-for-a-coup-e024990891d5

The above article describes in rather horrifying detail the changes that took place in the U.S. Government over the past week.  Reader discretion advised.

Here is the Reuters article mentioned in the above quote:

How Russia sold its oil jewel: without saying who bought it
More than a month after Russia announced one of its biggest privatizations since the 1990s, selling a 19.5 percent stake in its giant oil company Rosneft, it still isn't possible to determine from public records the full identities of those who bought it.

The stake was sold for 10.2 billion euros to a Singapore investment vehicle that Rosneft said was a 50/50 joint venture between Qatar and the Swiss oil trading firm Glencore.

Unveiling the deal at a televised meeting with Rosneft's boss Igor Sechin on Dec. 7, President Vladimir Putin called it a sign of international faith in Russia, despite U.S. and EU financial sanctions on Russian firms including Rosneft.

"It is the largest privatization deal, the largest sale and acquisition in the global oil and gas sector in 2016," Putin said.

It was also one of the biggest transfers of state property into private hands since the early post-Soviet years, when allies of President Boris Yeltsin took control of state firms and became billionaires overnight.

But important facts about the deal either have not been disclosed, cannot be determined solely from public records, or appear to contradict the straightforward official account of the stake being split 50/50 by Glencore and the Qataris.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-rosneft-privatisation-insight-idUSKBN1582OH

The linked Slate article is entitled: “Donald Trump Is Still in Control of His Business Empire”; which is very convenient in a kleptocracy.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/02/04/donald_trump_is_still_in_control_of_his_business_empire.html

Extract: “But, as a front-page story in the New York Times on Saturday outlines, Trump is still closely tied to his business interests; he still profits from them, and he still has ultimate control over them.”

Edit, see also:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/documents-confirm-trump-still-benefiting-from-his-business/2017/02/04/848fdd5a-eae0-11e6-bf6f-301b6b443624_story.html?utm_term=.6f1187a1f156
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 11:13:30 PM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

Hefaistos

« Reply #1246 on: February 04, 2017, 10:47:32 PM »
Rule Britannia:
"THE QUEEN has confirmed that if President Trump makes a state visit, she can kill him with a sword and nobody can touch her.
Palace staff have assured the Queen that, according to English law, Trump is a subject of the Crown and can, if judged to be damaging the monarchy, be dispatched without repercussion."

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/international/legally-i-can-kill-him-queen-confirms-20170131121313

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: February 04, 2017, 11:07:26 PM »
Rule Britannia:
"THE QUEEN has confirmed that if President Trump makes a state visit, she can kill him with a sword and nobody can touch her.
Palace staff have assured the Queen that, according to English law, Trump is a subject of the Crown and can, if judged to be damaging the monarchy, be dispatched without repercussion."

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/international/legally-i-can-kill-him-queen-confirms-20170131121313

Long live the Queen! She'd be doing us all a favor, along with the added bonus of rendering the Trump thread obsolete!

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #1248 on: February 04, 2017, 11:57:41 PM »
I see this has been mentioned, but I don't think the videos have been posted here yet?

Arnie v donald (note the small d)

Round one:

Round two:

"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

charles_oil

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #1249 on: February 05, 2017, 12:23:49 AM »
And of course we should include the latest controversial magazine cover...