Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Trump  (Read 1474028 times)

charles_oil

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 74
Re: The Trump Presidency (was "Presidential Poll")
« Reply #1300 on: February 08, 2017, 03:31:54 PM »
How long does it take for Sessions to get to the Supreme court +/- delays by Dems ? 

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #1301 on: February 08, 2017, 04:11:40 PM »
I just did a drive-by FOX news to make sure I don't create my own bubble... My brain hurts!!!  In their own little world it is the Democrats that have lost their soul....

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: February 08, 2017, 04:21:50 PM »
 I am surprised https://www.epa.gov/climatechange is not scrubbed yet...

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #1303 on: February 08, 2017, 05:29:07 PM »
The linked article is entitled: "Trump’s Plan to Fight ISIS With Putin Isn’t Just Futile. It’s Dangerous."  There is little doubt in my mind that before his term is out (& most likely much sooner than that), Trump will commit long-term US ground troops to fight ISIS in both Iraq & Syria, and that Trump is currently sweet talking not only Russia but also Turkey and Syria (not to mention Iraq) to provide logistical support for such an action. I further believe that to Trump's narcissistic thinking that being a 'War President' will strengthen his hand to suppress opposition voting in the US by implementing a restrictive national registration card (without which one will not be allowed to vote).

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/02/trumps-plan-to-fight-isis-with-putin-isnt-just-futile-its-dangerous-214743

Extract: "There's no way to go to war alongside the Russian army without dragging American troops down."

See also the linked following article entitled: "Erdogan, Trump agree to act jointly against Islamic State in Syria: Turkish sources".

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-turkey-idUSKBN15N02J
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #1304 on: February 08, 2017, 06:28:15 PM »
I wonder if the most effective way for the US to "Fight ISIS" might not be to tell them that they won't get their next paycheck until they return home.  8)

Terry

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: February 08, 2017, 07:31:53 PM »
Oh goody!!!! Our problems are solved.

Steve Bannon Believes The Apocalypse Is Coming And War Is Inevitable

I am so thrilled we don't have the warmonger Democrat in charge...

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #1306 on: February 08, 2017, 07:44:00 PM »
The 9th circuit will IMO probably uphold the lower court overruling of the Trump immigration ban. The republicans will stall awhile until they invoke the nuclear option so they can get Gorsuch confirmed by a simple majority vote. Then they will again stall in anticipation of being able to put one more even more hard right judge on the Supreme Court. That should buy them a 6 / 3 conservative court that can outlive a democratic presidency if there is a voter backlash in four years. So liberalism on the court will be dead for at least 12 and maybe 16 years. That is what a vote for Clinton was intended to prevent.

As you stated Bruce, there is a significant risk we may see a 6/3 conservative court. It's especially galling that Sen. Mitch McConnell literally stole a Supreme Court pick from Obama. A small consolation may be found in Bush 41's pick of David Souter in the late '80's, who was thought to be a solid conservative but ended up being a maverick. Of the four judges considered solid conservatives are Kennedy, Thomas, Alioto and Roberts. Thomas and Alioto are very conservative while Roberts despite being conservative, surprised us with his decisions on at least two occasions, drawing the ire of the conservatives. Kennedy is moderately conservative and has been on many occasions the swing vote.

Hopefully Ginsberg and Breyer can hang on until the next Democrat President.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #1307 on: February 08, 2017, 07:50:50 PM »
DT: "My daughter Ivanka has been treated so unfairly by @Nordstrom. She is a great person -- always pushing me to do the right thing! Terrible!"
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/829356871848951809

Olivia Nuzzi:  "To review: the president attacked an American company on behalf of his family whose business he promised he would no longer be involved in."
https://twitter.com/olivianuzzi/status/829360628548718594
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #1308 on: February 08, 2017, 09:01:00 PM »
More testicular growth detected...... ;)

Senator Daylin Leach (D-Montgomery) took to social media to ask President Trump to “come after” him instead, calling the President of the United States a “fascist, loofa-faced shit-gibbon” on both Facebook and Twitter. The posts are still up as of this writing.

http://usuncut.com/politics/pennsylvania-senator-shit-gibbon/
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: February 08, 2017, 09:53:26 PM »
The linked article is entitled: "Donald Trump’s coming police state: We have a president who wants unlimited power and won’t respect the rule of law"; which discusses evidence that Trump is working hard to turn the USA into a police state.

http://www.salon.com/2017/02/08/donald-trumps-coming-police-state-we-have-a-president-who-wants-unlimited-power-and-wont-respect-the-rule-of-law/

Extract: "It would appear that some of the folks who were hoping that Donald Trump was actually an isolationist “jobs” president, rather than the authoritarian white nationalist with imperial ambitions that he clearly showed himself to be on the stump, are now being forced to face reality. Everything he has done since his inauguration proves he is dead serious about unleashing the military and the police to enact his agenda, and he wants the other branches of government to understand that if they obstruct him he’s going to make sure his rabid followers know whom to blame."

See also the following linked article entitled: "President Trump to Judges: Drop Dead"

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/02/08/president-trump-to-judges-drop-dead.html

“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: February 08, 2017, 10:47:08 PM »
The linked article is entitled: "Aleksei Navalny, a Putin Critic, Is Barred From a Presidential Run".  I believe that Trump is aiming to train the US courts to rubberstamp his wishes, just like the courts currently do in the Russian 'democracy' for Putin.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/08/world/europe/russia-aleksei-navalny-putin.html?_r=0

Extract: "A Russian judge convicted Aleksei A. Navalny, an opposition politician and one of the Kremlin’s most charismatic critics, of fraud charges on Wednesday, a move that bars him from running for the presidency next year."

Edit, see also the linked article entitled: "Trump is not-so-subtly threatening the judicial system, and even his Supreme Court nominee is upset"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/02/08/president-trump-is-not-so-subtly-threatening-the-american-court-system/?utm_term=.c2b23547d723
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 11:52:30 PM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #1311 on: February 08, 2017, 11:14:31 PM »
How long does it take for Sessions to get to the Supreme court +/- delays by Dems ?

6 weeks for Gorsuch per the Senate judiciary committee chair Grassley (R-Scoundrel).  99% chance Dems filibuster, and 100% chance Comrade McConnell nukes the filibuster.  FSM help us if Sessions is ever seated to the Court.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: February 08, 2017, 11:29:39 PM »
The linked article (from the leftist pan-Latin American, telesur, who is no friend of Team Trump) is entitled: "Trump and the Deep State".  I post it not because I am a supporter of leftist agendas, but because it offers a perspective that is not generally stated by the US mainstream media; and because it seems to reasonably accurately depict the gestalt that Steve Bannon/Donald Trump (and their alt-right team) seem to be desperately fighting against (even if this 'Deep State' perspective proves just to be a 'straw-man').

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/opinion/Trump-and-the-Deep-State-20170208-0007.html

Extract: "Many atop the United States’ corporate and imperial “deep state” are disquieted by the early Donald Trump presidency.  They should be.  On his first full day in office, the 70-year-old man-child went to the CIA’s headquarters to ramble about the media’s supposed under-estimation of the crowds at his inauguration speech.  Senior CIA officials sat stone-faced while he said the U.S. might get “another chance” to take Iraq’s oil.   

With government paralyzed when it comes to meeting the needs of any but the wealthy few, the way is open for a demagogue to seize upon popular resentments and come in claiming that he and he alone can fix the nation’s problems and make it “great again.” When the normal bourgeois institutions and liberal elites are perceived (all too accurately in many cases) as pathetic and nefarious failures, the charismatic, populism-manipulating bully steps into the vacuum promising a restoration of lost national greatness. That’s what Hitler did in Germany in the 1930s. 

Smart elites atop the American deep state would do well to work to crash the Bannon-TrumPence administration as soon as possible or face (yes, Eliot Cohen) disaster.  If they can’t bring themselves to kill their own Frankenstein, the American people themselves must bring this government down before it’s too late."

See also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TeleSUR

Extract: "La Nueva Televisora del Sur (teleSUR, English: The New Television Station of the South) is multi-state funded, pan–Latin American terrestrial and satellite television network sponsored by the governments of Venezuela, Cuba, Ecuador, Nicaragua, Uruguay, and Bolivia that is headquartered in Caracas, Venezuela (Argentina announced in 2016 that it would discontinue its sponsorship). TeleSUR was launched with the objective of providing information to promote the integration of Latin America."
― Leon C. Megginson

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: February 09, 2017, 04:20:23 AM »
Diversity ‘A Weakness’... World War II Anti-Semites ‘Unfairly Maligned’... U.S. ‘Not A Nation Of Immigrants’...

TRUMP ‘INTELLECT’ UNMASKED

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: February 09, 2017, 04:22:40 AM »
The linked article is entitled: “Why Dutch populist Geert Wilders is scenting victory”, so it is possible that The Netherlands may soon have a Trump-like populist head-of-state.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38891753

Extract: “When Dutch populist Geert Wilders promises to stop Islam and make the Netherlands great again, his message finds a ready audience in the country's newest city of Almere.”

Edit, see also the linked article entitled: "Dutch Far-Right Leader Tweets Fake Image Showing Rival With Islamists".

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/02/08/514167929/dutch-far-right-leader-tweets-fake-image-showing-rival-with-islamists

Extract: "Wilders' party is surging in the polls ahead of the Netherlands' parliamentary elections, which are being held next month. He did not deny that the image was altered, nor did he apologize: Instead, when the rival objected, Wilders called him a "drama queen.""
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 04:45:45 AM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: February 09, 2017, 04:56:24 AM »
Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch has criticized Pres. Trump for his negative comments about the judiciary:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/08/politics/gorsuch-trump-tweets/index.html

First paragraph: "Washington (CNN)Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch told a US senator Wednesday that President Donald Trump's tweets about the judiciary are "demoralizing" and "disheartening."

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #1316 on: February 09, 2017, 07:31:49 AM »
And now there are reports that Trumple-thin-skin may be considering withdrawing Gorsuch from consideration for the Supreme court...

http://www.palmerreport.com/opinion/insider-donald-trump-considering-withdrawing-neil-gorsuch-supreme-court/1442/
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #1317 on: February 09, 2017, 12:15:42 PM »
Senator Booker of NJ also was impressive in his remarks, and in invoking the words of Dr. King.

I wanted to let this slide, but can't. Did you quote someone here, or did you actually wrote it yourself? That Cory Booker is a corporate pig at the trough of Big Pharma (among others). The fact that he goes and invokes the words of MLK makes me sick to my stomach.

The Democratic Party needs to come clean, understand why it has lost everywhere (senate, congress, president, supreme court), kick Corporate Dems/Neolibs out, and start representing the people for a change.

Here's some more Jimmy Dore:

! No longer available
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #1318 on: February 09, 2017, 01:01:18 PM »
Senator Booker of NJ also was impressive in his remarks, and in invoking the words of Dr. King.

I wanted to let this slide, but can't. Did you quote someone here, or did you actually wrote it yourself? That Cory Booker is a corporate pig at the trough of Big Pharma (among others). The fact that he goes and invokes the words of MLK makes me sick to my stomach.

The Democratic Party needs to come clean, understand why it has lost everywhere (senate, congress, president, supreme court), kick Corporate Dems/Neolibs out, and start representing the people for a change.

Here's some more Jimmy Dore:

! No longer available

Anyone trying to accomplish good work within inherently corrupt systems (like American electoral politics) has to make moral compromises or lose.  Corey Booker represents New Jersey, where pharma is very big business.  For him to come out against pharma interests would be like a Senator from Iowa coming out against farm subsidies.  I was irked that Elizabeth Warren came out against the medical device tax part of Obamacare.  She represents Massachussets.  So I understand and recognize that she's mostly great, but she's got no realistic choice but to be a prostitute in some cases.  That's how I see Booker.  That's the reality of trying to do good work in corrupt systems.  The problem isn't these people, it's that the system we have favors moneyed interests.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: February 09, 2017, 01:49:28 PM »
I wanted to let this slide, but can't.

Did you quote someone here, or did you actually wrote it yourself? That Cory Booker is a corporate pig at the trough of Big Pharma (among others). The fact that he goes and invokes the words of MLK makes me sick to my stomach.

Money is the root of all evil.  Where have I heard that before?  Must have been in some book somewhere. ;)

And it is true.  It's just that Trump was able to lie his way through the whole campaign....without the media pushing back much.  And while he lied to all his minions.....he also took big money.

Is corporate America in control of politics and government?  YES.  ABSOLUTELY.

And that is why the powers that be....but ESPECIALLY ON THE REPUBLICAN SIDE..... wanted the Citizens United decision in the Supreme Court.  Dwight Eisenhower in the early 1960's warned us about that.  And HE was a Republican.

Corporate America also controls or "guides" our beliefs on a lot of things.  That is why many people "think" they have to have a new car.....or "think" they have to have granite countertops....or "think" they have to have a 5,000 sq foot home......or "think" they have to have a Coca cola....or "think" they have to vote for candidate X.  Because they have been brainwashed.  When you see the word marketing....you need to understand it is really brainwashing.  That is what marketing people are paid to do:  CONVINCE YOU OF SOMETHING whether it is true or not.

The Citizens United decision......and money in general.....ruins government.  Corey Booker lives in "the pharma state"....New Jersey.  It is NOT surprising to be that he feeds at the pharma trough.  Joe Manchin feeds at the coal trough in West Virginia.

Now that "the Clinton's" are now done (maybe) with national politics....it will be interesting to see who the Democrats "plug in".  I personally think that Warren is the "likely" next presidential candidate....and leader of the "next wave."  But she has to have help.  And the Democrats need to make sure they don't swerve too far left on the FISCAL FRONT.

For me...the three most important issues in democracy in the US are:

1)  Too much money.   Have to get big money out of politics with an amendment to the constitution.  That movement has already started....but it's going to take a long while.  And now that the Republicans hold the Supreme Court.....overturning Citizens United in the Supreme Court is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

2)  The drawing of district lines locally....called "gerrymandering" (manipulating the boundaries to favor one party over another).  Unfortunately....this is tough to change....because the people that run foxes that run the hen house like it just like they have it.  So whether you are talking about a "typical democrat"...or a "progressive democrat"....it doesn't matter in many cases.  The way the district lines are drawn means the Republican is going to win.

3)  Media.  We have a tendency to BELIEVE AS TRUE what we see over and over (yes...actual studies show that).  And that is why FOX News has been so corrosive over the last 25 years.  Spewing lie after lie.  And our media is controlled by corporations.....and the money they spend on advertising.  That is how they make their money.

Perhaps a new "tag line" or descriptor should be FISCAL PROGRESSIVE. Someone who has fiscal responsibility....but looks at progressive policies for the WHOLE of its citizens....not just the upper 5%.

By the way....PREVENTING increased costs due to continued global warming is a VERY FISCALLY PROGRESSIVE POLICY.  In fact....I would argue that there is not a more FISCALLY PRUDENT THING TO DO ON EITHER SIDE OF THE POLTICAL AISLE.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: February 09, 2017, 02:04:47 PM »
One thing that I DON'T expect to happen.....but IF it did, would make me hit the "oh shit" button....is IF Trump were to pull his nomination for Judge Gorsuch.  I'm sure Donnie wasn't pleased with what the judge said about Donnie's comments on the judicial system.  But if Trump WERE to pull his nomination.....THAT would send up MAJOR RED FLAGS....

I don't expect that to happen....but with Donnie....we just don't know HOW unhinged he really is.  We know its a lot.....but is it a LOT.....or is it a LOT?  We just don't know.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 02:15:35 PM by Buddy »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: February 09, 2017, 03:06:15 PM »
Weekly jobless claims in the US came in at a low 234,000.  So this is a good number for the economy....and a good number for Trump.

Not that he has had anything to do with this number....only 2 weeks into his administration.  But at some point in time...IF that starts to go up....that would be one more piece of "bad press" he would have to deal with....and he doesn't need anymore bad press.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-economy-unemployment-idUSKBN15O1MF

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: February 09, 2017, 03:54:22 PM »

Taking in to account SteveMDFP's and Buddy's subsequent comments on Neven's post, I'd like to add the following:

I liked Cory Booker until I heard about his vote on BigPharma. Thanks to BigPharma, my wife and I have had to resort to obtaining some necessary medication outside the U.S. I'm sure there are people who live in New Jersey that have the same problem. Who's interest is more important? The Senators and Congressmen are representatives of the people. To do the right thing requires taking a risk that you wont get reelected.

I'm sure it's a lot more difficult than it sounds, but if enough of us decided to stop putting up with this b.s., the political landscape would eventually change.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: February 09, 2017, 04:00:49 PM »
I'm sure it's a lot more difficult than it sounds, but if enough of us decided to stop putting up with this b.s., the political landscape would eventually change.

ABSOLUTELY.  And that is what it takes.  And one of the reasons we need to get BIG MONEY out of politics.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: February 09, 2017, 04:05:46 PM »
The linked article is entitled: "Most Europeans Would Back Trump-Style Muslim Ban, Poll Reveals".  Apparently, progressive values are only skin deep in much of Europe.

http://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-muslim-ban-europe-germany-france-austria-italy-angela-merkel-poll-554542

Extract: "A majority of people in eight major European countries think that all further immigration from mainly Muslim countries should be stopped, a survey has found.
Polling of more than 10,000 people carried out by researchers from the Chatham House think tank in 10 European nations asked respondents to what extent they agreed with the statement “All further migration from mainly Muslim countries should be stopped.”
Majorities in eight of the countries agreed with the statement, including 71 percent in Poland, 65 percent in Austria, 53 percent in Germany and 51 percent in Italy. In the remaining two countries—the U.K. and Spain—very large minorities of 47 percent and 41 percent respectively agreed."

Also, see the following linked article entitled: "Steve Bannon Aligns With Vatican Hard-Liners Who Oppose Pope Francis".  Apparently, there are lots of alt-right thinkers in Europe for Bannon to work with against relative progressives like Pope Francis.

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2017/02/08/514102356/steve-bannon-aligns-with-vatican-hardliners-who-oppose-pope-francis

Extract: "White House chief strategist Steve Bannon is known to have cultivated ties with far-right parties in Europe, like the National Front in France. He also seems to have forged an alliance with Vatican hard-liners who oppose Pope Francis' less rigid approach to church doctrine. The New York Times reported this week on Bannon's connections at the Vatican."
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 04:19:17 PM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

magnamentis

« Reply #1325 on: February 09, 2017, 04:06:25 PM »
my apologies to the fish, didn't mean to offend them LOL  ;D ;)

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #1326 on: February 09, 2017, 04:20:00 PM »
Buddy

1- Too Much Money
     This will never change as those in power, now or in the future, got into power because of access to too much money. They will never kill the horse that brought them to power.

2 - Gerrymandering
     This will never change as those in power, now or in the future, got into power because of Gerrymandering, they will never kill the horse that brought them to power.

3- Media
    The media were by and large against Trump. Media doesn't matter.

Let me add another huge factor.

4 - The Rule of Law
     The Supreme Court will be stuck in Republican hands for the rest of your life. This is because of Money, Gerrymandering, and the fact that all important decisions regarding the above will be adjudicated by Right Wing Judges.

People hate Lawyers and distrust Politicians, yet when these same lawyers enter the political world and become Judges, most expect them to transform themselves into honest citizens. Does anyone believe that an elected Judge will reject whatever chicanery brought him, (or his sponsor) into power?

Terry

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: February 09, 2017, 04:49:23 PM »
The linked article is entitled: "French intelligence is scared Russia might interfere with upcoming presidential election".  It seems that Putin believes that Europeans are just as easy to dupe as Americans.

http://bgr.com/2017/02/09/french-presidential-election-russia/

Extract: "French site Le Canard Enchaîné reported on Wednesday that the country’s Directorate General for External Security (DGSE) believes that Russia will help far-right candidate Marine Le Pen using similar tactics. Bots are expected to flood the internet with millions of positive posts about Le Pen, and her opponents’ confidential emails will be leaked to the press.
The issue is so severe, Foreign Policy notes, that it’ll be addressed in the next defense meeting with the French president."

Furthermore, it seems likely that the 'people' may not wise-up until after the pending socio-economic and environmental collapse
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: February 09, 2017, 05:04:06 PM »
The linked article is entitled: "From the White House, Kellyanne urged Fox viewers to buy Ivanka's clothing line (and broke fed law)".  In a kleptocracy the law is to be overlooked in the pursuit of personal gain.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/2/9/1631776/-With-the-WH-as-a-backdrop-Conway-urged-Fox-viewers-to-buy-Ivanka-s-clothes-and-broke-federal-law

Extract: "Kellyanne Conway, Counselor to the President of the United States, took to Fox & Friends this morning to plea for Fox viewers to go out and buy Ivanka Trump’s clothing line. With the White House emblem in the background, she said, ‘Go buy Ivanka’s stuff!” Here is a brief clip, jump below for the full jaw-dropping clip, transcript and outline of the federal law she appears to have violated this morning.

§ 2635.702 Use of public office for private gain.
An employee shall not use his public office for his own private gain, for the endorsement of any product, service or enterprise, or for the private gain of friends, relatives, or persons with whom the employee is affiliated in a nongovernmental capacity, including nonprofit organizations of which the employee is an officer or member, and persons with whom the employee has or seeks employment or business relations. The specific prohibitions set forth in paragraphs (a) through (d) of this section apply this general standard, but are not intended to be exclusive or to limit the application of this section.

Update! The Washington Post contacted experts who agree this was a violation"

Edit, see also:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/conway-may-have-broken-key-ethics-rule-by-touting-ivanka-trumps-products-experts-say/2017/02/09/fd1cc64a-eeda-11e6-b4ff-ac2cf509efe5_story.html?utm_term=.12179c93914c

Extract: "Clearly, the Trumps feel some of this is related to politics. But whether that’s true or not, these marketing battles need to be fought by Ivanka and her company. They cannot and should not be fought by government employees and the White House,” Schweizer said. “It’s time to move beyond the mind-set and the role of a businessman and assume the mantle of commander of chief.”"
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 05:19:35 PM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: February 09, 2017, 05:13:11 PM »
my apologies to the fish, didn't mean to offend them LOL  ;D ;)

Those poor fish. How could you do such a thing? LOL

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: February 09, 2017, 05:15:12 PM »
The linked article is entitled: "Trump falsely accuses senator of misrepresenting Gorsuch criticism".  The media can only report Trump's lies, while it is the American public who need to grow a pair in order to hold Team Trump accountable to reality.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/09/politics/donald-trump-neil-gorsuch-democrats/

Extract: "President Donald Trump falsely accused a Democratic senator Thursday of misrepresenting his Supreme Court nominee's words, according to several familiar with the incident.

Sen. Richard Blumenthal said Wednesday that Judge Neil Gorsuch, Trump's nominee, told him he found Trump's attack on a federal judge on Twitter "disheartening" and "demoralizing."

Within a half-hour, Gorsuch spokesman Ron Bonjean, who was tapped by the White House to head communications for Gorsuch, confirmed that the nominee, Gorsuch, used those words in his meeting with Blumenthal. Several other senators, including Republican Sen. Ben Sasse of Nebraska, later relayed similar accounts of Gorsuch forcefully criticizing Trump's public attacks on the judiciary branch."
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: February 09, 2017, 05:45:17 PM »
Terry:

So your solution is to.........??

I would have preferred that Clinton would have won.....so the Supreme court issue on Citizens United could have been solved through that means.  NOW...the only means is through a constitutional amendment...and THAT...is a LONG AND WINDING ROAD.

Some of the "gerrymandering" issues are trying to be dealt with on a local basis already.  Still a tough road.

Media....I'll disagree with you on that.  FOX wasn't against Trump....FOX was and still IS his media outlet, and will continue to be.  The media DEFINITELY MATTERS....and that is how Trump got in office the first place:  He played them.

Many good things in life AREN'T EASY.  I didn't say ANY OF THIS was easy.  There are a LOT of other things as well that will take 50 or more years to accomplish.  You eat an elephant ONE BITE AT A TIME.  And as we humans go through life....we will HOPEFULY become wiser and learn from past mistakes.

I don't have ANY EXPECTATIONS of IMMEDIATE GRATIFICATION of the issues I raised.  I only raised them because I believe they can be "chipped away at" over time.  Women didn't give up on the right to vote......they kept at it.  Blacks didn't give up on civil rights....they did keep at it and, yes...they are STILL KEEPING AT IT.  Some things take a LONG TIME TO CHANGE.  That doesn't mean that we should give up on them.

1- Too Much Money
     This will never change as those in power, now or in the future, got into power because of access to too much money. They will never kill the horse that brought them to power.

2 - Gerrymandering
     This will never change as those in power, now or in the future, got into power because of Gerrymandering, they will never kill the horse that brought them to power.

3- Media
    The media were by and large against Trump. Media doesn't matter.

Let me add another huge factor.

4 - The Rule of Law
     The Supreme Court will be stuck in Republican hands for the rest of your life. This is because of Money, Gerrymandering, and the fact that all important decisions regarding the above will be adjudicated by Right Wing Judges.

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: February 09, 2017, 06:13:41 PM »

$19,000,000,000,000

19 trillion dollars, the annual GDP of the United States.  If you believe that the co-mingled corporations, oligarchy, corporate dems, the 1%, and other groups in your crosshairs, can or will easily be overthrown or wholesale have a transformational reawakening, you will be sorely disappointed for as long as you hold these views.

All US politicians, including Trump, are subject to this reality.  They are not operating within a tiny Northern European country that is inconsequential to the world economy and global order.

But to say that Dems are only representing corporate interests betrays ignorance of US history and is a cartoonish representation of reality.  If you want to observe a government that truly does not represent the "US people" and is hostile to global concerns, just continue to observe what transpires as long as Trump in in office.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: February 09, 2017, 06:48:33 PM »
19 trillion dollars, the annual GDP of the United States.  If you believe that the co-mingled corporations, oligarchy, corporate dems, the 1%, and other groups in your crosshairs, can or will easily be overthrown or wholesale have a transformational reawakening, you will be sorely disappointed for as long as you hold these views.

All US politicians, including Trump, are subject to this reality.  They are not operating within a tiny Northern European country that is inconsequential to the world economy and global order.

But to say that Dems are only representing corporate interests betrays ignorance of US history and is a cartoonish representation of reality.  If you want to observe a government that truly does not represent the "US people" and is hostile to global concerns, just continue to observe what transpires as long as Trump in in office.
+1
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: February 09, 2017, 07:30:48 PM »
Here are two Gallup poll links.  First one is the DAILY approval/disapproval:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/201617/gallup-daily-trump-job-approval.aspx

This second one is the WEEKLY approval rating.  This is updated every Tuesday.  Right now it is 43%....down from his first week of 45%.

These will be closely watched by the press...as well as Donnie when he isn't twiting or tweeting. ;)

http://www.gallup.com/poll/203198/presidential-approval-ratings-donald-trump.aspx

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: February 09, 2017, 09:26:15 PM »
Major winter storm in New York City in the heart of winter......the day after RECORD HIGH TEMPS ON WEDNESDAY.....  We all know what THAT means:   Tweet storm coming from the Trumpster about global warming. ;D

SSSSShhhhhhhhhhhh.  Just don't tell him that heavy snowfall is because of global warming.  OK....in addition to small hands....he has a small mind.  He doesn't realize that increasing water vapor in the air CAUSES MORE SNOW IN THE WINTER.  Don't tell him until after he gives us a couple of good global warming tweets....  You KNOW they are coming.

https://weather.com/news/news/winter-storm-niko-impacts

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: February 09, 2017, 09:57:37 PM »
The linked Jacobin (a left-wing magazine) is entitled: "The World According to Bannon".  I apologize for the length of the following extract, but it makes it clear the Bannon is pushing to facilitate the occurrence of an apocalyptic worldwide war that will end before 2025 to 2027, and will be led by a "Grey Warrior" boomer (I note that Trump was born at the beginning of the baby boom).

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/02/bannon-trump-muslim-travel-ban-breitbart-generation-zero/

Extract: "Steve Bannon’s vision of civilizational crisis and violent renewal has deep roots in the American political tradition.

Underpinning Generation Zero’s melodramatic, right-populist discourse — which suffused President Trump’s “carnage”-filled inaugural address — is a strange theory of historical change proposed by Neil Howe and William Strauss.

Writing in the 1990s, Howe and Strauss asserted that American history could be understood as an orderly system of generational change. Every four generations constitutes a “saeculum” that passes through four predictable stages of development, each lasting approximately twenty years.

Bannon sees the current cycle of crisis as the most perilous yet, for the United States lacks the “Judeo-Christian values” that sustained American exceptionalism in prior eras of crisis. Will the United States and its tradition of liberty and free enterprise endure the coming convulsion? Or will this “turning” be the end of American civilization as we know it? Does the zero that numbers this generation denote being first or last? All Trump’s chief adviser knows is that the Right must gird itself for a twenty-year battle to see the fourth cycle through.

The current era of “corporate” or “state-controlled” capitalism, which funnels national wealth into the pockets of a global Davos elite and “looks to make people commodities,” further hollowing out civilizational values. The “crony capitalism” fueling the populist rage across the advanced capitalist world is a symptom of the decline of the “Judeo-Christian values” that once kept the free market in check.

For Bannon, these economic and spiritual crises are compounded by yet a third: the rise of “jihadist Islamic fascism.” Western civilization, he insists, is fracturing from within and being terrorized by “barbarians” from without.

Bannon’s vision of a coming clash of civilizations is a terrifying one, particularly since he now sits on the National Security Council. But however nightmarish and bizarre, his speculative theory of civilizational decline and crisis has plenty of precedents in American political thinking.

… Bannon’s apocalyptic vision is indebted to what Richard Slotkin diagnosed as the American mythology of regeneration through violence: a celebration of violence as an expiating ritual that can renew both the individual and the nation.

… we have to take seriously Bannon’s insistence that the US’s corruption and decadence will be expunged through apocalyptic war.

The cycle of crisis needs military conflict — it is only the threat of total annihilation that can summon a nation back to a common purpose and inspire mutual sacrifice to confront its collective danger.

The war in Bannon’s mind is the war radical Islam is waging on the “West.” It involves the calling of the “church militant” to “fight for our beliefs against this new barbarity that’s starting, that will completely eradicate everything that we’ve been bequeathed over the last 2,000, 2,500 years.”

Understood in prophetic terms, the gruesome detail with which Bannon recounts ISIS atrocities on Breitbart Radio and his warnings of a Muslim “fifth column” inside the US are not simply calls to prepare for the coming war. They’re incitations meant to accelerate the coming catastrophe, which will purge the nation and bring about the coming saeculum of order and stability."

See also the linked article entitled: "Steve Bannon's obsession with a dark theory of history should be worrisome".

http://www.businessinsider.com/book-steve-bannon-is-obsessed-with-the-fourth-turning-2017-2

Extract: "Perhaps not, but putting a Fourth Turning lens on Trump's policies certainly give them a great deal of context. Bannon believes that the catalyst for the Fourth Turning has already happened: the financial crisis.

So now we are in the regeneracy. Howe and Strauss describe this period as one of isolationism, one of infrastructure building and of strong, centralized government power, and a reimagination of the economy.

Of course it's important not to lose sight of the end here. Bannon believes in authoritarian politics as preparation for a massive conflict between East and West, whether East means the Middle East or China.

Once the catalyst event takes place, Strauss and Howe describe a situation in which America coalesces under one leader — a boomer "Gray Warrior" — who will "urgently resist the idea that a second consecutive generation might be denied the American Dream. No matter how shattered the economy ... ""

Also, see the linked Wikipedia article entitled: "Strauss–Howe generational theory".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strauss%E2%80%93Howe_generational_theory

Extract: "Steve Bannon, Chief Strategist and Senior Counselor to President Trump is a prominent proponent of the theory. As a documentary filmmaker Bannon discussed the details of Strauss-Howe generational theory in Generation Zero. According to historian David Kaiser, who was consulted for the film, Generation Zero “focused on the key aspect of their theory, the idea that every 80 years American history has been marked by a crisis, or 'fourth turning', that destroyed an old order and created a new one”. Kaiser said Bannon is "very familiar with Strauss and Howe’s theory of crisis, and has been thinking about how to use it to achieve particular goals for quite a while." A February 2017 article from Business Insider titled: Steve Bannon's obsession with a dark theory of history should be worrisome, commented: "Bannon seems to be trying to bring about the 'Fourth Turning'."
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: February 09, 2017, 10:09:27 PM »
The process continues......

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jason-chaffetz-kellyanne-conway-ivanka-trump_us_589cc506e4b04061313c4571?v7usdcxr&

Chaffetz now telling the Trump clan they have crossed the line.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: February 10, 2017, 01:23:56 AM »
The linked article is entitled: "Appeals court panel rules unanimously against Trump travel ban".  We will see how the appeals go.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/trump-court-decision-travel-ban-ruling-234870

Extract: ""The Government has not shown that the Executive Order provides what due process requires, such as notice and a hearing prior to restricting an individual’s ability to travel. Indeed, the Government does not contend that the Executive Order provides for such process," the 9th Circuit ruling says."

I also note that the Executive order give exceptions to religious minorities in the travel bans from the 7 Muslim nations, which if probably unconstitutional due to requests of separation of religion and state.
― Leon C. Megginson

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: February 10, 2017, 03:46:57 AM »
How do you like them Appelates ....

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: February 10, 2017, 04:24:22 AM »
If I'm Donnie......I avoid Saturday Night Live like the plague this week.  Too much material to work with.  I smell a skit with Kellyann Conway selling Ivanka "stuff" on QVC.  They are going to be merciless.😂

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: February 10, 2017, 12:37:41 PM »
Republicans are now experiencing similar resistance at town hall meetings that the Democrats experienced in 2009 and 2010. Back then, the fear was that Obamacare would negatively affect their own health insurance. Now the shoe is on the other foot, with the opposing argument.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/10/politics/republican-town-halls-obamacare/index.html

I think the only antidote to the moneyed interests, is continually challenging our representatives on the choices they've made. We have to make them earn our vote, which requires us constituents to abandon our complacency and get involved. The attempt may prove futile, but to do nothing means a continuance of the status quo.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 12:48:22 PM by budmantis »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: February 10, 2017, 12:57:14 PM »
"Mo" gains steam.  We're not even 3 weeks in.

Here....my favorite Congressional lying weasel gets a taste:

And....would Trump REALLY appoint Sarah Palin as an ambassador to Canada?  And what I mean by that is....... would he appoint her TO DO ANYTHING?  THAT.....would be the "cherry on top" of an absolutely HORRIBLE group of nominees and appointments.

It gives a whole new meaning to "Oh Canada".....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/sarah-palin-canada-us-ambassador-donald-trump-white-house-a7572276.html   

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: February 10, 2017, 01:53:21 PM »
The next 6 months will be fascinating on many fronts.   There even may be LEGISLATION that is started.  Quit laughing.....it could happen. :o

The two primary legislative matters that are likely to come up FIRST are (1) "The Wall", and (2) income tax legislation.  And the wall is likely up to bat first.

Related to "the wall"....here is a BREIF explanation of tariffs.  It may provide some of you with a better understanding of how tariffs work, where they are collected, and how they impact the sellers and buyers.  It was helpful to me. This is just a BRIEF explanation...but it may help:

https://www.export.gov/article?id=Tariff-and-Import-Fees

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: February 10, 2017, 05:11:48 PM »
The linked article is about a drug that has recently been approved by the FDA, but has been available for many years in other countries. The price for the drug is $89,000 annually, which is 50 to 70% more than the price in other countries.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/marathon-pharmaceuticals-to-charge-dollar89000-for-muscular-dystrophy-drug/ar-AAmO5wW?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: February 10, 2017, 06:39:56 PM »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: February 10, 2017, 08:15:54 PM »
Who is getting fired first?

1)  Sean Spicer
2)  Miachael Flynn

Somebody is going to have to take "the fall" for the Russian fiasco.  And Donnie needs to continue to try and do ANYTHING to get attention away from that.  A tax cut is a good idea... ;)  And he also HAS to get his polling numbers up.....or Republicans will begin to abandon ship.  Spicer won't be the one taking the fall for the Russian blunder.....but he hasn't been doing Donnie any favors over the past few weeks. But who wants the job of lying on a daily basis to cover for your lying boss?

Flynn will almost certainly be the one to "take the fall" re Russia.  One or more people are going to take the fall.

Take a look back into history and read how Watergate played out if you're interested:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watergate_scandal

History rhymes....

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #1348 on: February 10, 2017, 08:34:45 PM »
US President Donald Trump does not believe Israeli settlement growth in Palestinian territories is "good for peace", he told a paper Friday, in his most direct comments on the matter since inauguration.

source

I'm flabbergasted. When was the last time an American President has said this? What's behind this?
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: February 10, 2017, 10:27:09 PM »
IMO National Security Advisor Flynn will either be forced to resign or fired by end of day Friday.  Russian chickens coming home to roost.

I agree that Flynn will be gone soon; however, I believe that this will only strengthen Steve Bannon's influence within the WH.
― Leon C. Megginson