Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Trump  (Read 1486708 times)

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
Re: The Trump Presidency (was "Presidential Poll")
« Reply #1400 on: February 12, 2017, 09:05:10 PM »
"Their" is whoever has the means and the will to exploit that reality.  Maybe not planned but I am sure it is exploited.

A vigilance is needed to shift through and critically assess the information that is freely available but more and more the general public does not have the tools or time  ( survival is a priority for most ) to be successful at doing that.

What is to be done ?

The signal to noise ratio is decreasing rapidly.

Martin Gisser

« Reply #1401 on: February 12, 2017, 09:21:29 PM »
http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2017/02/only-14-trump-voters-want-invade-mexico
I predicted that lots of Trump supporters would hear about the Bowling Green massacre but only a few would hear that it didn't actually happen. Well, I was right. Belief in the BGM outscored disbelief 51-23 percent.

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: February 12, 2017, 09:26:33 PM »
http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2017/02/only-14-trump-voters-want-invade-mexico
I predicted that lots of Trump supporters would hear about the Bowling Green massacre but only a few would hear that it didn't actually happen. Well, I was right. Belief in the BGM outscored disbelief 51-23 percent.

Oh goody!!....82% claim that Trump is more reliable than NYT....

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #1403 on: February 13, 2017, 12:17:38 AM »
The linked article is entitled: “Stephen Miller’s bushels of Pinocchios for false voter-fraud claims “.  Maybe we should handout Pinocchio awards to go along with the Darwin awards that the administration is currently earning.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2017/02/12/stephen-millers-bushels-of-pinocchios-for-false-voter-fraud-claims/?utm_term=.1776a18a702a

Extract: “White House senior policy adviser Stephen Miller appeared on ABC’s “The Week” on Sunday, spouting a bunch of false talking points on alleged voter fraud. (He also repeated similar claims on other Sunday talk shows.) To his credit, host George Stephanopoulus repeatedly challenged Miller, noting that he had provided no evidence to support his claims. But Miller charged ahead, using the word “fact” three times in a vain effort to bolster his position. “
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: February 13, 2017, 01:18:31 AM »
The linked article is entitled: “The Pitfalls of Strongman Populism”, and it describes some of the pitfalls of hoping (like a Pollyanna) that a perceived/imagined 'benevolent' strongman will magically make things better, rather than undertaking the slow hard work required for democracy to work.

https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/strongman-populism-policy-pitfalls-by-sergei-guriev-2017-01

Extract: “In fact, Harvard University political scientist Yascha Mounk’s analysis of World Values Survey data shows that, in many Western countries, public confidence in democracy has been declining for quite some time.

What explains this trend? The political upheavals of 2016 suggest that many people are frustrated with democratic inaction. Slow income growth, unemployment, inequality, immigration, and terrorism are supposedly not being tackled decisively enough. Democratic countries’ political establishments seem to be in a permanent state of torpor, fueling voter demand for strong leaders who promise to smash through political gridlock and sweep away bureaucratic resistance to bold new policies.

In the long run, inclusive reforms stick, and quick and dirty reforms do not. The tortoise of democracy beats the hare of benevolent dictatorship. “

See also the linked article entitled: “THE STRONGMAN PROBLEM, FROM MODI TO TRUMP”.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-strongman-problem-from-modi-to-trump

Edit, also I note that it seem highly unethical to me that Trump holds a great many state meetings at "Trump Inc." locations so that the government can enrich "Trump Inc." for all the security & other logistical expenses.  I think he should hold more meetings at the WH & Camp David; unless he wants to continue acting like a kleptocrat.

In this regards see:

http://www.npr.org/2017/02/10/514458649/the-ethics-of-trump-hosting-japans-shinzo-abe-at-mar-a-lago
&
http://fortune.com/2017/02/11/trump-abe-mar-a-lago-ethics/

Extract: "Weissman said Camp David, the U.S. government-owned retreat in Maryland's Catoctin Mountains, which presidents use for personal getaways as well as to conduct the people's business, would do fine.

"Why should you go to a resort in Florida?" Weissman asked. "Fine, you want to go to a resort in Florida? Don't go to one Trump's family owns."

But Trump has shown that he isn't too concerned about possible conflicts of interest involving him and his family. This past week, Trump used his official government Twitter account to criticize Nordstrom after the retailer said it had dropped a line of clothing and accessories sold by his daughter Ivanka."
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 03:43:48 AM by AbruptSLR »
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #1405 on: February 13, 2017, 06:18:16 AM »

Most people believe what they want to believe and they'll readily accept opinions that validate  those beliefs. Even those of us that are against what Trump represents, are susceptible to propaganda, as Terry recently mentioned.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #1406 on: February 13, 2017, 02:11:48 PM »
Most people believe what they want to believe and they'll readily accept opinions that validate  those beliefs. Even those of us that are against what Trump represents, are susceptible to propaganda, as Terry recently mentioned.

Those beliefs by the Trump supporters are continuing to slip.  Only 3 weeks in.....and his approval rating is down to 40%, and his "net" approval rating is MINUS 10%.

I really did NOT think his numbers would head south as quickly as they have so far.  Could he be in the low 30's or below by the end of April......unless he finds a "conflict" to buoy his poll numbers....that is very achievable.

Note...he meets with Benjamin Netanyahu this week.  Iran looks to me to be the "most likely" target to get attention away from the Russian fiasco.

Flynn poses a real problem for Trump.  Flynn....and the rest of the Trump security team is in disarray.  But if Trump dumps Flynn......there is no telling what Flynn will do, especially as the investigation deepens in coming weeks.  Trump is screwed either way.....and he is getting backed further and further into a corner.

FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: February 13, 2017, 03:01:03 PM »
So far, everyone I know that voted for Trump is still solidly behind him. I have an older brother that is still fully behind Trump, despite being a very rational person. Too many right wing talk shows on Fox, I guess.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: February 13, 2017, 05:21:59 PM »
The question "seems" to be....did Michael Flynn lie to the Vice President, and if he did...then Flynn must go.

I don't think that is the only question.  In fact....I think we will find out in coming days/weeks/months.....that Michael Flynn DIDN'T LIE TO THE VICE PRESIDENT.  Trump knew, Pence knew, and several others likely knew.

Remember....we are NOT dealing with two smooth, well run operations to (1) work with the Russians to encourage them to continue to expose Clinton emails, and (2) working with the FBI to encourage them to keep up pressure/bad press on Clinton.

We're working with the "Keystone Copys" which include Trump, his sons, Guiliani, Michael Flynn, Jason Chaffetz, Sean Spicer, Kellyanne Conway, Preibus, etc.  This was NOT two smooth operations...and they have left "droppings" all over the place.

I expect this to spread over time.  Flynn is just the first one to go.  Others will be thrown under the bus as the situation develops further.

Tick....tick....tick....tick.....tick....

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: February 13, 2017, 06:01:17 PM »
The linked article is entitled: "We’ve never seen anything like Trump’s rough treatment of his White House staff.  It looks like we may have management of the WH staff following "The Apprentice" rules.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/02/13/weve-never-seen-anything-like-donald-trumps-treatment-of-his-white-house-staff/?utm_term=.5da68fe20609

Extract: "The way that Trump treats his senior staff is one of those places where he is totally and completely off the charts.

He had a hit show called “The Apprentice” in which he fired someone — in front of their peers — every single week. He views life — business, politics, personal — as survival of the fittest. If you can't take it, that's a negative judgment on you, not him.

Which is his right. He won, after all, by being unapologetically himself: brash, bullying and never, ever sorry."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: February 13, 2017, 07:29:17 PM »
The linked article is entitled: "Inside Trump’s watered-down ethics rules: Now a lobbyist helps run federal agency he lobbied".

To me it looks like Team Trump plans to 'drain the swamp' of globalist in order to make room for his kleptocrats.

http://www.salon.com/2017/02/13/inside-trumps-watered-down-ethics-rules-now-a-lobbyist-helps-run-federal-agency-he-lobbied_partner/

Extract: "President Trump’s executive order on ethics also cites a section of the law that doesn’t exist".
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: February 13, 2017, 08:33:43 PM »
One thing to look closely for over the coming days/weeks....is for journalists to try to get Trump as well as Pence ON THE RECORD as "not knowing"....and "not asking" Flynn to speak with the Russians about future treatment of dropping US sanctions against Russia.

This is not going away.  Donnie is in deep......

Flynn is left flapping in the wind....with nowhere to go.  This is just starting to get interesting.....

Tick....tick....tick.....tick.....tick.....

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: February 14, 2017, 01:04:17 AM »
The linked article is entitled: "Executive Order, State Laws Seek To Criminalize Protests".  The first step to authoritarianism is the suppression of free speech. 

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/02/13/executive-order-state-laws-seek-criminalize-protests/

Extract: "President Trump and his new Attorney General, along with legislatures in several US states, are trying to turn dissent and public protests into criminal acts carrying prison sentences of 5 to 40 years."

See also:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/02/09/presidential-executive-order-preventing-violence-against-federal-state
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: February 14, 2017, 01:17:40 AM »
The linked article is entitled: "From Trump’s Mar-a-Lago to Facebook, a National Security Crisis in the Open".  Can you imagine how many foreign spies will be staying at Mar-a-Lago if Trump continues to use it as the "Winter While House"?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/13/us/politics/mar-a-lago-north-korea-trump.html?_r=0

Extract: "President Trump and his top aides coordinated their response to North Korea’s missile test on Saturday night in full view of diners at Mr. Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida — a remarkable, public display of presidential activity that is almost always conducted in highly secure settings.

The fact that the national security incident was playing out in public view drew swift condemnation from some Democrats, who said it was irresponsible for Mr. Trump not to have moved his discussion to a more private location."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: February 14, 2017, 03:00:33 AM »
The linked article is entitled: “Justice Department warned White House that Flynn could be vulnerable to Russian blackmail, officials say“. This makes the White House look like the Keystone Cops.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/justice-department-warned-white-house-that-flynn-could-be-vulnerable-to-russian-blackmail-officials-say/2017/02/13/fc5dab88-f228-11e6-8d72-263470bf0401_story.html?utm_term=.d2c3660b48cd

Extract: “The acting attorney general informed the Trump White House late last month that she believed Michael Flynn had misled senior administration officials about the nature of his communications with the Russian ambassador to the United States, and warned that the national security adviser was potentially vulnerable to Russian blackmail, current and former U.S. officials said.

The message, delivered by Sally Q. Yates and a senior career national security official to the White House counsel, was prompted by concerns that Flynn, when asked about his calls and texts with the Russian diplomat, had told Vice ­President-elect Mike Pence and others that he had not discussed the Obama administration sanctions on Russia for its interference in the 2016 election, the officials said. It is unclear what the White House counsel, Donald McGahn, did with the information.”
― Leon C. Megginson

meljay14

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1415 on: February 14, 2017, 05:17:08 AM »
Flynn just resigned.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: February 14, 2017, 05:38:10 AM »
Flynn just resigned.

Hi Meljay, I just read about Flynn's resignation on CNN. The first domino to fall, will there be more? I would say probably, but we will see. From what I've seen so far, Trump is standing on the top floor of a house of cards.

meljay14

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: February 14, 2017, 06:49:49 AM »
In many ways he himself seems to be a house of cards. Ignorance on top of corruption on top of ego...

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: February 14, 2017, 07:06:44 AM »
It's good to see more members posting on this thread. Late last summer, it was mostly Buddy and I posting. Back then, I don't believe anyone on the Forum expected him to win.

meljay14

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: February 14, 2017, 08:12:03 AM »
I may not post much, Budmantis, but I read this thread AVIDLY (Salute to Buddy, there! :))

One of the best comments on the new president's performance so far, I think, is Benjamin Wittes speaking about the travel ban executive order - "malevolence tempered by incompetence".

I've been thinking today that those words could end up as a fitting epitaph to the whole 45th presidency.

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #1420 on: February 14, 2017, 08:36:44 AM »
So your logic is -

>Russia should not be set up as the new boogeyman
>Here is an example from the early 20th century of America's terrible and violent past practices
>America still does the same today domestically and across the globe

Which example from Russia's past of murdering multi-millions of its own citizens or its violent interventions in other countries might be eligible for consideration here?  Or is the logic that Putin is a swell guy and Russia's past, and present, doesn't count?

This whole effort to cast Russia and Putin as innocent flowers in this thread is amusing.

General Flynn's departure is likely to lead to more revelations and inquiries on the reported Russian ties to the Trump campaign and admin.  Nobody knows where it will end up, but it's more than likely to be much more than "childness nonsense".

It's not about claiming or asserting American purity, or denying the massive inequality and deep extant problems in the country. It's about maintaining sovereignty from the influence of a traditional global rival and well known bad actor with a horrible history.

This thread resembles the later and more horrific McCarthyite version of the House Un-American Activities Committee, again setting up Russia as the new bogeyman  It's a pity that no one recalls the earlier version involving the testimony of Smedley Butler, which did not implicate foreigners ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_Plot

Butler was quite forthright about the American Enterprise elsewhere, which you may read about here:

http://www.ratical.org/ratville/CAH/warisaracket.html
http://www.flagrancy.net/salvage/smedley.html

or just by searching for Smedley Butler.

"I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902–1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents.”

Nuttn has changed, except that the rapacity of the government of the USA has now been nakedly loosed on its own people, and its own privileged classes fear the same apparatus they were quite content to unleash upon hapless foreigners and their own underclass. It is not surprising that many smile as the naivete of the US populace is cured by a solid dose of the reality that when empires fail they must feed on their own flesh.

sidd

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: February 14, 2017, 01:09:07 PM »
General Flynn's departure is likely to lead to more revelations and inquiries on the reported Russian ties to the Trump campaign and admin.Nobody knows where it will end up, but it's more than likely to be much more than "childness nonsense"

For sure.  Now the "moderate Republicans" will be MUCH MORE OPEN to poking much deeper into this issue.  We have a LONG WAY TO GO.....and the TWO ISSUES (Both Russia AND the FBI involvement issue) will ensnare MANY more people....all the way to the top.

I'm not sure that anyone who would suggest that there is ANYTHING CLOSE TO EQUIVALENCY between the Russian government and the US government deserves much of an answer.

Russia is NOT a democracy.....unless you think Iran is also a democracy.  Not even close....at least not yet.  And because the corruption is SO DEEP....it may be quite a while before they have any hope of being a democracy....at least one that doesn't kill journalists and those who oppose the Russian leadership.  I believe the count is up to 24 since the year 2000.  That's not a problem is it Sidd? :o

What we are going through now in the US....is a good test for us.  Because we certainly have our own corruption in the US as well.  It's just not as deep as it is in Russia.  Lobbyists control a good chunk of what goes on as far as legislation.  And the US certainly needs to "clean up" its democracy (a constitutional amendment limiting money in politics would be a good start). 

I think it is peoples frustration with Congress AND with big business' ties to Congress that Trump was able to win.  People voted for him because he was going to "clean up the swamp" and "bring back jobs".  THAT..is what they wanted....so that is what Trump told them.  Little did they know he was lying....and saying anything he could just to get elected.

Trump would do ANYTHING to get elected....including working with the FBI (thanks to Rudy Guliani and Jason Chaffetz) as well as working with Russia.

Now....the long, drawn out process of "discovery" will continue as the tentacles of those two issues unwind.  Interesting times.....

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: February 14, 2017, 02:05:41 PM »
So.......where do we stand now....AND.....where are we LIKELY to go?

Let's cut to the chase...and the obvious:

1)  Trump will be gone
2)  Pence will be gone
3)  Bannon will be gone
4)  Preibus will be gone
5)  Kellyanne....as well as 5 lbs of makeup will be gone (Avon stock is sure to tank ::))
6)  Beavus and Butthead (Trumps sons) will be gone
7)  And guess what....WE WILL END UP FINALLY SEEING DONNIES TAX RETURNS (I know the house committee denied that proposal yesterday.....but now its just a matter of time....the US citizens will finally get to see that Donnie isn't worth what he said he was worth.....AND....he didn't give contributions to hardly anyone). 

If you compare this to Watergate......this is now WATERGATE ON STEROIDS.   For Nixon to be ousted....took about 19 months after his re-election.  Donnie is going to beat that by quite a margin.  Keep in mind that the investigation into any FBI interference hasn't even been touched yet (sorry Rudy Guiliani.....it's coming.....and its landing at YOUR's and Jason Chaffetz feet).

Before this year is out....maybe even before summer starts.....President Ryan will take office (can I puke now please).

It will be interesting to see how the investigations.....THE TWO INVESTIGATIONS are "tracked".  I assume they will have separate investigations.  But will they be done AT THE SAME TIME...or will the investigation into the FBI involvement be delayed until Ryan takes office?  Inquiring minds want to know....

Keep in mind the next few months are going to be TUMULTOUOS.....AND.....FASCIANTING.  So whether you are 25 or 75....take this stuff in.

One of the interesting things will be to see how drawn out Donnie is going to make this.  Is he going to do ANYTHING he can?  And now....with the Flynn news....the Republican leadership is going to keep a tighter leash on him.  So they may PREVENT Donnie from doing something really...really...stupid (like starting a war).

This thing could break WIDE OPEN VERY QUICKLY NOW.....and it is anyone's guess as to when things will happen.  We really don't know....  There will be a PROCESS, and it depends on how long Donnie wants to try and string this thing out.  Does he try to string this out for weeks....months....next year?  If he drags it out...how long will the investigations take? 

Also remember....he has a failing company that is now in DEEP....DEEP....SHIT.  I hope Donnie liked his golf this past weekend.....cause it might be the last golf he plays for a while.

The New Mara Lago Menu and Schedule of Events

February ends.......and Anonymous comes calling...what will be the "dish" of the day?

March.......more marches likely to get Donnie to call it quits NOW

April 22nd......Peoples March For Science.......VERY LARGE HELPINGS OF PISSED OFF PEOPLE  And they will also be marching against Ryan and other science deniers.  GOING TO BE "UUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

April 29th......White House Correspondents Dinner....likely will change the name to White House Correspondents Celebration Dinner

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #1423 on: February 14, 2017, 03:38:30 PM »
The resignation of Flynn is a blow to those of us that hope for "Peace in our time". it represents a weakness, particularly in the pro Putin faction within the Trump Presidency.
While I don't see a damaged presidency as a bad thing, I would have preferred that the damage came through one of his anti-science advisers.

BTW
I have seen no coverage of the arrest of the Awan brothers, the IT guys who actually had access to the DNC's computers.

EDIT = I forgot the link.

https://www.jihadwatch.org/2017/02/house-committee-members-compromised-by-rogue-it-staff-abid-imran-and-jamal-awan

Terry
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 04:23:58 PM by TerryM »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: February 14, 2017, 04:25:27 PM »
One of the next steps....will be for Republican leadership to meet with Trump and give him the "bad news":

"Donnie.......IF you knew about Flynn having conversations with the Russians AND you told him to tell the Russians to hold off on sanctions....we'll take care of it.....YOU ARE TOAST AND YOU NEED TO GET READY TO RESIGN.  BECAUSE WE WON'T SUPPORT YOU IF YOU DID THAT."

That conversation is likely to happen this week......both Ryan and McConnel will likely be paying Donnie a BRIEF VISIT.  It won't take long to tell him that.  Now....clearly they will couch it in terms that aren't as funny as my terms....but you get the idea.

The investigation into the Russian affair is likely to take a LONG TIME.....and I expect Donnie to be LONG GONE before it is over.  The rate that things are moving now is going to over take the White House if it hasn't already.

But the AMOUNT of conversation between the Trump campaign team and Russia likely has been going on for a LONG TIME (at least as far back as when Paul Manafort was campaign manager).

There are going to be a LOT OF BODIES to bury when this chapter is put to rest.

mati

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #1425 on: February 14, 2017, 04:41:47 PM »
and so it goes

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: February 14, 2017, 04:49:53 PM »
I believe that those hoping that 'Team Trump' will self-destruct sooner, rather than later, are mistaken.  Not only do the Republicans control the Congress, the Supreme Court and the WH, but soon they will control the Fed (which helps to regulate US banks), and more than likely they will more alt-right populist allies overseas (see the first linked article).

http://www.politico.eu/article/geert-wilders-american-allies-far-right-netherlands-dutch-election-freedom-party-pvv/

This indicates to me that 'Team Trump' will be here for at least 4 years; which brings me to the second linked article entitled: "Trump’s Grand Strategic Train Wreck"; which hints at the damage that will playout on the world stage as 'Team Trump' continues on its current train wreck.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/01/31/trumps-grand-strategic-train-wreck/

Extract: "Believe it or not, the president has a grand strategy. But it's a nightmarish mess.

Believe it or not, President Donald Trump has a grand strategy. According to some analysts, Trump’s endless streams of erratic and apparently improvisational ideas don’t add up to anything consistent or purposeful enough to call a grand strategy. We see it otherwise. Beneath all the rants, tweets, and noise there is actually a discernible pattern of thought — a Trumpian view of the world that goes back decades. Trump has put forward a clear vision to guide his administration’s foreign policy — albeit a dark and highly troubling one, riddled with tensions and vexing dilemmas.

In particular, three dangers dominate the new president’s worldview. The first is the threat from “radical Islam” — which, for the president and many of his closest advisors, poses an existential and “civilizational” threat to the United States that must be “eradicated” from the face of the Earth.

Second, Trump portrays unfair trade deals and the trade practices of key competitors as grave threats to the U.S. economy and therefore a national security priority.

In Trump’s eyes, however, Enemy No. 1 in the economic domain is China …

Third, and finally, Trump has consistently railed against illegal immigration, arguing that the pace and scale of migration has cost American jobs, lowered wages, and put unsustainable strains on housing, schools, tax bills, and general living conditions.

To address these perceived threats, Trump has put forward an “America First” grand strategy with four key pillars.
The first is what White House chief strategist Stephen Bannon proudly calls “economic nationalism.”

A second key pillar is what might be called “extreme” homeland security.

What we call “amoral transactionalism” represents the third, and perhaps most central, feature of Trump’s grand strategy. In Trump’s view, the United States should be willing to cut deals with any actors that share American interests, regardless of how transactional that relationship is, and regardless of whether they share — or act in accordance with — American values. In the battle against radical Islam, for example, Trump has said: “All actions should be oriented around this goal, and any country which shares this goal will be our ally.”

The final pillar of Trump’s grand strategy is a muscular but aloof militarism. For decades, Trump has advocated “extreme military strength.”

Taken together, Trump’s “America First” grand strategy diverges significantly from — and intentionally subverts — the bipartisan consensus underpinning U.S. foreign policy since World War II.
… “Trump believes that America gets a raw deal from the liberal international order” it helped construct seven decades ago and sustain to this day. He is therefore hostile to that order, institutionalized through alliances with other democratic states and international agreements that promote an open, rule-based international economy, and refuses to invest blood and treasure to maintain it.

… Trump’s grand strategy is plagued by internal tensions and dilemmas that will make it difficult to achieve the president’s stated objectives.

First, it will be difficult for Trump to reconcile his policies toward Russia and Iran on the one hand with his desire to defeat the Islamic State on the other. Trump’s apparent desire to go all-in with Russian President Vladimir Putin — and perhaps Syrian President Bashar al-Assad — to fight the Islamic State in Syria is likely to backfire.

A second dilemma is that Trump’s extreme measures to protect the homeland could further complicate the fight against the Islamic State.

Third, Trump’s approach to Europe and Russia — at least as he has outlined it so far — is equally self-defeating and contradictory. Trump’s warm embrace of Putin; intimation that he will throw Ukraine (and potentially the Baltic states) under the Russian bus and lift Ukraine-related sanctions on Moscow; repeated trash-talking of NATO, the European Union, and committed Atlanticist leaders such as Germany’s Angela Merkel; and celebration of Brexit and European populist movements will all drive a deep wedge between America and its most important democratic allies.

Fourth, Trump is likely to have difficulty taking punitive action against China while also contending with the growing threat from North Korea.

Fifth, in a bid to supposedly help American workers by withdrawing from the TPP (a pact creating a free-trade zone among a dozen countries representing 40 percent of global GDP), Trump is in fact helping China by ceding the economic battlefield in Asia to Beijing.

Finally, Trump’s proposal to “build a wall” and somehow force Mexico to pay for it (perhaps through a 20 percent border tax), his threat to deport millions of illegal immigrants, and his pledge to renegotiate or even withdraw from the North American Free Trade Agreement, could create a train wreck in the U.S.-Mexico relationship …

Every new president, of course, faces dilemmas to confront and strategic contradictions to resolve. But what is remarkable about Trump’s “America First” grand strategy is the number, pervasiveness, and centrality of such contradictions. In other words: Trump has consistently articulated a set of basic grand strategic concepts, but the policy implications of those concepts add up to a Gordian knot of conflicting initiatives.

This raises the question of why Trump’s grand strategy is so tangled and internally contradictory. And the answer has to do with the process — or rather, the lack thereof — through which these ideas are born, as well as, shall we say, the unique personality of the president himself.

What all this means, in practical terms, is that the implementation phase of Trump’s grand strategy — the period in which the ideas upon which one campaigns are translated into the day-to-day initiatives by which one governs — is likely to be far messier than is normally the case. The Trump administration will have to determine how to proceed on those issues — such as Russia, Iran, alliance relations, trade, and homeland security — where key advisors have staked out positions very different from those of the president. More fundamentally, the Trump administration will have to determine how to reconcile the president’s various promises and impulses — and where those things cannot be reconciled, how to prioritize among them."
― Leon C. Megginson

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: February 14, 2017, 06:26:14 PM »
I believe that those hoping that 'Team Trump' will self-destruct sooner, rather than later, are mistaken.  Not only do the Republicans control the Congress, the Supreme Court and the WH, but soon they will control the Fed (which helps to regulate US banks), and more than likely they will more alt-right populist allies overseas (see the first linked article).

For sure it is not going to proceed at "internet speed", but there is a variable here related to the evolution of technology that was absent from previous "earth moving" White House scandals:  thousands of professional journalists, pundits, and "citizen" reporters interconnected real time (primarily via Twitter...news distribution seems to be the most redeeming quality of that horrid platform).  The critical mass of mind share and examination being applied to this (and really, any  major story) overwhelms any counter effort to suppress, control, or deny pieces of the situation or even the whole.  Add to that an entirely incompetent Trump White House, and it's easy to see the Flynn revelations as only the beginning of a very intense period of scrutiny that will overtake everything else.  IMO the only "thing" that could move the needle is a "terror" attack on the US homeland, and there has been plenty of speculation that the Executive Branch is agitating for exactly that to occur.

Thus far GOP leadership and Trump loyalists have been holding ranks and rebuffing calls for more scrutiny and investigations.  The Trump and GOP propaganda arms, Fox News et al, are only giving this coverage from the perspective of "these leaks are illegal and need to stop".  IMO GOP congress people are badly interpreting the landscape, and will likely need to pivot fast as the intel community and "fake news" media continue to reveal more details about the overall Russia connections to the Trump campaign and admin, which ultimately lead directly to the POTUS.

Interesting times ahead.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: February 14, 2017, 06:41:07 PM »
mati
Business insider is only a reliable source to those who favor Fox News's take on things, with a CIA spin. They're not news presenters but rather opinion shapers.

ASLR
I don't think Trump will be a one term president. If he can remain alive, the expanded powers of the presidency, especially a president with support from the House, the Senate and soon the Judicial, will prove unbeatable.
I expect him to follow something similar to Reagan's path. Screw everything up badly for the first few years, then, as things settle back towards the norm, accept the adulation for the now improving situation.
Staying alive through the first tumultuous years may prove difficult.
Terry

PS
Perhaps instead of poisoned cigars they'll rig pussies to explode when grabbed? :)

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: February 14, 2017, 06:47:42 PM »
For sure it is not going to proceed at "internet speed", but there is a variable here related to the evolution of technology that was absent from previous "earth moving" White House scandals:  thousands of professional journalists, pundits, and "citizen" reporters interconnected real time ...
pileus,

I only hope that you are correct, but I fear the worse.

Best,
ASLR
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: February 14, 2017, 07:05:06 PM »
Thus far GOP leadership and Trump loyalists have been holding ranks and rebuffing calls for more scrutiny and investigations.

As I noted before.....that is already breaking down.   This is just one of a few...:

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/319425-blunt-calls-for-exhaustive-investigation-into-trump-russia-connections

When Donnies poll numbers dip to 30% - 35% by end of April.....resistance will continue to "ramp up"......and his support will continue to diminish.

I don't look at what I WANT TO HAPPEN.......I look at what is LIKELY TO HAPPEN due to the given FACTS AND CIRCUMSTANCES.

There is a process that has to play out.  That process includes the "psychology" of humans:  Things like (1) denial (2) bias (3) greed (4) morality.....etc.   Some of those will slow down what I KNOW (yea...that's a bit strong) is going to happen.  It is inevitable.

And I think it's a good time to interject something ESPECIALLY for those who are younger (20 - 30).  In order to make GOOD DECISIONS....you have to have GOOD INFORMATION, and THAT STARTS WITH FACTS.  I've said it before....but the truth NEVER GOES AWAY.  It just sits there and waits to be discovered.  It doesn't usually hop up into your lap.

If you want to KNOW THE TRUTH....you have to LOOK FOR THE TRUTH.  And the less "biased" you are.....the more inquisitive you are......the more open to other ideas you are.....THE SOONER YOU WILL SEE THE TRUTH.  It doesn't matter if you are talking about politics, work, or personal relationships.......it still holds.

Trumpgate has all the makings of an Indy car crash in slow motion.  And the crash STARTED WHEN HE WAS RUNNING FOR OFFICE. 

You have someone who was NEVER able to make good decisions, because he was never able to see the truth.  He doesn't have a moral cell in his body....and yes...he is still one sick puppy.  You look at the people he has surrounded himself with and you see Donald Trump's inability to make good decisions.  Hopefully the Republicans around him will keep him from anything that remotely looks like a red button.....maybe they can give him a video game to play with. ;)

I think we'll be getting more "information to chew on" over the next couple of months....and very little of it will be good for SCROTUS (So-Called Ruler Of The US).

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: February 14, 2017, 07:25:24 PM »
Donnie's "net" approval rating is now MINUS 14%.  So he's dropped 14% in 3 weeks.  I guess Trump HAS been doing something. ;)

http://www.gallup.com/poll/201617/gallup-daily-trump-job-approval.aspx

THAT.....is staggering.  I don't think the Democrats in their wildest dreams ever thought they would see numbers like those after just 3 weeks.  Now....I KNOW he will get a "bounce" eventually.....so this isn't going to be "linear".  But WOW.....that has got to be the worst first 3 weeks to an administration EVER. :-\

Martin Gisser

« Reply #1432 on: February 14, 2017, 07:37:14 PM »

Hannah Arendt in The Origins of Totalitarianism (1951)
 “The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the convinced Communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction (i.e., the reality of experience) and the distinction between true and false (i.e., the standards of thought) no longer exist.”

https://books.google.de/books?id=8f2y0F2wzLoC&pg=PA474#v=onepage&q&f=false

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: February 14, 2017, 07:38:58 PM »
Donnie's "net" approval rating is now MINUS 14%.  So he's dropped 14% in 3 weeks.  I guess Trump HAS been doing something. ;)

THAT.....is staggering.  I don't think the Democrats in their wildest dreams ever thought they would see numbers like those after just 3 weeks.  Now....I KNOW he will get a "bounce" eventually.....so this isn't going to be "linear".  But WOW.....that has got to be the worst first 3 weeks to an administration EVER. :-\

Is this the same polling group that said Trump had no chance of winning the election?

Terry

Past performance may not guarantee future results, but it can be used as an indicator. ;>}

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: February 14, 2017, 07:40:14 PM »

Nothing boosts a POTUS approval rate and shifts focus away from *everything else* like a national security crisis or military intervention.  This is precisely why the Executive Branch has been and will continue to agitate for a homeland attack, while setting the stage to blame the judicial branch and really, anyone that is not on board with the overall assault on Islam from this administration.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: February 14, 2017, 07:48:38 PM »
Is this the same polling group that said Trump had no chance of winning the election?

I don't think ANY major polling group said that.  Certainly most of the polls I looked at had it CLOSE.  And remember.....close means ANYONE can win....it is all about probability.  But if you don't think that Congressmen are concerned about their polling (and Trump was as well)......then I have a bridge I would like to sell you.

The race by MOST polls.....had it very close (including Nate).  Remember.....200,000 votes is all it took over 3 states....and without the interference by the FBI....I think Donnie would have been on "the other side" of the outcome. ;)

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: February 14, 2017, 08:04:45 PM »
Total agreement about the FBI. It was done earlier by the RCMP with Harper as the beneficiary.

I wonder who would want both Harper and Trump to take power in their respective countries.
Hmm...

Terry

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: February 14, 2017, 08:05:27 PM »
When Donnies poll numbers dip to 30% - 35% by end of April.....resistance will continue to "ramp up"......and his support will continue to diminish.

It looks like Wall Street thinks that the Trump Administration will be around long enough to make the Hedge Fund managers (who love to take risks and letting the public clean-up their messes) happy.
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: February 14, 2017, 08:17:39 PM »
It looks like Wall Street thinks that the Trump Administration will be around long enough to make the Hedge Fund managers (who love to take risks and letting the public clean-up their messes) happy.

Two things:

1)  The "market" is NOT logical.  So....I wouldn't read too much into that.  Stocks move based on SUPPLY and DEMAND for pieces of paper called "stocks".....pure and simple.

2)  Even if Donnie isn't in office......either Pence OR Ryan will be.  Same policies pretty much.

You could also make the case that the market is going up....because it knows that Donnie WON'T BE IN OFFICE.  Again...on a short term basis......there is no telling.  It is supply and demand driven.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: February 14, 2017, 08:41:29 PM »
My attention over the coming months.....won't be on this thread.  Not that I won't come back to this from time-to-time.....but now we'll be entering the time consuming part of the process:  Discovery phase by the Senate/House/Press.

I don't mean to sound "all knowing"....I'M NOT.  But I know....pretty much....where the direction this process is headed.  So for me...it won't be that exciting.  People have lied....they will now be held accountable....and they will be punished.  How LONG the process takes....is anyone's guess.  But human psychology will be in play...and it WILL be interesting.

But....FOR ME...there are other things that now become front and center:

1)  Energy policyCONTINUED MOVEMENT on the technology front as fossil fuels used for burning.....head to their grave (it will take a long time....but they are well on their way).  Solar will continue to shovel dirt on fossil fuels grave over the coming years and next decade or two.  But it will happen MUCH faster than people think.

2)  Changes in healthcare policy and changes in some of the political policies.  I think the current schenanigans has the potential to "kickstart" a couple of things in both healthcare and politics that will be good in the long term for everyone.

3)  Changes in how our press works.  Of course.....I might be involved in holding FOX News accountable for LYING FOR DECADES about global warming.....AND.....LYING IN HELPING DONNIE BOY BECOME THEIR PRESIDENT.  

I have my big "ACCOUNTABILTY BRUSH" and I intend to paint those people with bright colored paint....as I hope YOU FOLKS WILL AS WELL.  Remember....it was a piss poor press that helped elect Donnie.  It needs to change.....and call out liars....including FOX or any other outlet that lies.  And it needs to do it early in the process.

Those 3 issues above will have the ability to HELP PEOPLE GOING FORWARD.

FOX NEWS:  "The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: February 14, 2017, 10:42:09 PM »
Copied from Sigmetnow's entry from the oil and gas issue thread.  This is going to be a LONG INVESTIGATION....with a LOT of tentacles (and very few testicles ;D) :

Bill McKibben:  Who'd a thunk it? The guy making much of the steel for KXL pipeline is a Russian oligarch who gave Putin a yacht.

How a Russian Steel Oligarch and Putin Ally Is Profiting from the Keystone XL Pipeline

... In fact, a DeSmog investigation reveals that much of the steel for Keystone XL has already been manufactured and is sitting in a field in rural North Dakota.

DeSmog has uncovered that 40 percent of the steel created so far was manufactured in Canada by a subsidiary of Evraz, a company partly owned by Russian oligarch Roman Abramovich, who is a close ally of Putin and a Trump family friend. Evraz has also actively lobbied against provisions which would mandate that Keystone XL's steel be made in the U.S....

https://www.desmogblog.com/2017/02/13/abramovitch-putin-keystone-xl-steel

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: February 14, 2017, 11:31:44 PM »
IMO the only "thing" that could move the needle is a "terror" attack on the US homeland, and there has been plenty of speculation that the Executive Branch is agitating for exactly that to occur.

I know that I have posted this before but for those who may have missed it, the linked article is entitled: "A Dire Prediction for Trump's First 100 Days".  When Putin became Prime Minister of Russia he had little wealth, after 17-years in power he is now worth over USD $85 Billion;

http://www.alternet.org/election-2016/trump-presidency-disaster

Extract: "Why? Because it’s happened before.

In the fall of 1999, just months after then-unknown former FSB agent Vladimir Putin had been sworn in as prime minister of Russia, someone began bombing apartment buildings. Over the course of two terrible months, hundreds of people died in the series of explosions around the country and thousands were injured. As Masha Gessen tells it in her book The Man Without a Face, “panic set in all over the country.” The majority of the country assumed Chechen terrorists were responsible. Paranoia became the national mood and vigilante surveillance the national pastime. Into this chaos stepped Vladimir Putin.

“Putin made one of his first television appearances,” Gessen writes, “‘We will hunt them down,’ he said of the terrorists. ‘Wherever we find them, we will destroy them. Even if we find them in the toilet. We will rub them out in the outhouse.'...His popularity began to soar.”

Putin never looked back. Over the next 17 years, Putin ,  the uniquely unqualified newcomer to political office , became a global authoritarian. Russia was never the same.

Since those fateful days, experts around the world have come to agree that the Russian government was complicit in the terrorist bombings that swept Putin into power.

So, to summarize: In 1999 the FSB, the same organization now suspected of tampering in the U.S. election to tip it in favor of Donald Trump, was caught in the act of planting bombs in civilian apartment buildings in Russia in order to sow chaos and consolidate power for its disputed leader of choice."
― Leon C. Megginson

Csnavywx

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1442 on: February 15, 2017, 12:38:54 AM »

I don't think ANY major polling group said that.  Certainly most of the polls I looked at had it CLOSE.  And remember.....close means ANYONE can win....it is all about probability.  But if you don't think that Congressmen are concerned about their polling (and Trump was as well)......then I have a bridge I would like to sell you.

The race by MOST polls.....had it very close (including Nate).  Remember.....200,000 votes is all it took over 3 states....and without the interference by the FBI....I think Donnie would have been on "the other side" of the outcome. ;)

PEC was 99.9%, HuffPo was 90+, Upshot was mid 90s -- just to name three.

magnamentis

« Reply #1443 on: February 15, 2017, 01:07:49 AM »
So.......where do we stand now....AND.....where are we LIKELY to go?

Let's cut to the chase...and the obvious:

1)  Trump will be gone
2)  Pence will be gone
3)  Bannon will be gone
4)  Preibus will be gone
5)  Kellyanne....as well as 5 lbs of makeup will be gone (Avon stock is sure to tank ::))
6)  Beavus and Butthead (Trumps sons) will be gone
7)  And guess what....WE WILL END UP FINALLY SEEING DONNIES TAX RETURNS (I know the house committee denied that proposal yesterday.....but now its just a matter of time....the US citizens will finally get to see that Donnie isn't worth what he said he was worth.....AND....he didn't give contributions to hardly anyone). 

If you compare this to Watergate......this is now WATERGATE ON STEROIDS.   For Nixon to be ousted....took about 19 months after his re-election.  Donnie is going to beat that by quite a margin.  Keep in mind that the investigation into any FBI interference hasn't even been touched yet (sorry Rudy Guiliani.....it's coming.....and its landing at YOUR's and Jason Chaffetz feet).

Before this year is out....maybe even before summer starts.....President Ryan will take office (can I puke now please).

It will be interesting to see how the investigations.....THE TWO INVESTIGATIONS are "tracked".  I assume they will have separate investigations.  But will they be done AT THE SAME TIME...or will the investigation into the FBI involvement be delayed until Ryan takes office?  Inquiring minds want to know....

Keep in mind the next few months are going to be TUMULTOUOS.....AND.....FASCIANTING.  So whether you are 25 or 75....take this stuff in.

One of the interesting things will be to see how drawn out Donnie is going to make this.  Is he going to do ANYTHING he can?  And now....with the Flynn news....the Republican leadership is going to keep a tighter leash on him.  So they may PREVENT Donnie from doing something really...really...stupid (like starting a war).

This thing could break WIDE OPEN VERY QUICKLY NOW.....and it is anyone's guess as to when things will happen.  We really don't know....  There will be a PROCESS, and it depends on how long Donnie wants to try and string this thing out.  Does he try to string this out for weeks....months....next year?  If he drags it out...how long will the investigations take? 

Also remember....he has a failing company that is now in DEEP....DEEP....SHIT.  I hope Donnie liked his golf this past weekend.....cause it might be the last golf he plays for a while.

The New Mara Lago Menu and Schedule of Events

February ends.......and Anonymous comes calling...what will be the "dish" of the day?

March.......more marches likely to get Donnie to call it quits NOW

April 22nd......Peoples March For Science.......VERY LARGE HELPINGS OF PISSED OFF PEOPLE  And they will also be marching against Ryan and other science deniers.  GOING TO BE "UUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

April 29th......White House Correspondents Dinner....likely will change the name to White House Correspondents Celebration Dinner

great read, i love it and most probably quite spot on, at least i can well imagine :-)

keep goin'

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: February 15, 2017, 01:09:56 AM »
The linked article is entitled: “Trump toilets, condoms could be flushed after his China win “, and it discusses more probable conflict of interest by Trump w.r.t. China & the emolument clause.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/recent-trump-win-on-china-trademark-raises-ethics-questions/2017/02/14/e12bc6ba-f2a0-11e6-9fb1-2d8f3fc9c0ed_story.html?utm_term=.8555bd6d472d

― Leon C. Megginson

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: February 15, 2017, 01:15:18 AM »
Pence did not learn that Flynn misled him on Russia until last week

Vice President Pence first learned that former national security adviser Michael Flynn had misled him about the nature of his contact with a Russian official on Feb. 9, a full two weeks after other White House officials were briefed on the matter, an aide to Pence said on Tuesday.

That must hurt.....

magnamentis

« Reply #1446 on: February 15, 2017, 01:30:04 AM »
there are quite many good points from several different angles and users, but one thing caught my eyes which i just gave me an impression while i'm not sure how things play out in reality:

while indeed trump was running as the republican canditate, i somehow always had that impression that the reasons why this happened because:

a) the republican party didn't expect him to make it far enough to run the final, hence underestimated him

b) because he knew that he couldn't win running for the democrats LOL

what i, as a foreign observer want to say/ask: is he really part of the republican establishment?

i came to ask/mention this because a few folks relayed to the fact that the reps control the congress, the senat and soon the judicary, but if he is not really accepted/supported by the republican party/establishment this won't help him that much, once he becomes unbearable as POTUS and as a person which for me, he always was (unbearable), even decades ago i felt, that i had to switch channels when i saw him on tv. he reminds me of a guy i know personally and physiognomy is a great hobby of mine to say the least :-)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 12:12:09 AM by magnamentis »

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
« Reply #1447 on: February 15, 2017, 03:18:28 AM »
The original is in  quotes, my responses inline.

"So your logic is -"

Response: No. The next three points do not constitute my argument, although i agree with each one.

">Russia should not be set up as the new boogeyman
>Here is an example from the early 20th century of America's terrible and violent past practices
>America still does the same today domestically and across the globe"

Response: yes, yes and yes. Not because Russia is angelic, but because the illness in the USA is not from foreign infection. The sickness is internal. The last two points address the idea that looking to the past might illuminate understanding of the present. My point is that the abuse previously visited on foreigners now attacks the homeland. 

"Which example from Russia's past of murdering multi-millions of its own citizens or its violent interventions in other countries might be eligible for consideration here?  Or is the logic that Putin is a swell guy and Russia's past, and present, doesn't count? This whole effort to cast Russia and Putin as innocent flowers in this thread is amusing."

Russia is as bloodstained as any but neither Putin's or Russia's virtues or vices are cogent to my argument.

I snipped material re Flynn, not relevant to my points.

"It's not about claiming or asserting American purity, or denying the massive inequality and deep extant problems in the country."

Agreed. I was speaking solely of structural dysfunction in the body politic of the USA.

"It's about maintaining sovereignty from the influence of a traditional global rival and well known bad actor with a horrible history."

The causes of illlness are internal. You may fight to repel foreign infection, but that will not help while res publica sickens unto death from internal causes.

sidd

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: February 15, 2017, 04:01:59 AM »
there are quite many good point form many different points of view but one thing caught my eyes which i just had an impression but am not sure how things play out in reality:

yes trump was running as the republican canditate but somehow i always had that feeling that the reasons why this is so were:

a) the republican party didn't expect him to make it far enough run the final

b) because he couldn't win running as for the democrats LOL

what i, as a foreign observer want to say/ask, is he really part of the republican establishment?

i came to ask/mention this because a few folks relayed to the fact that the reps control the congress, the senat and soon the judicary, but if he is not really accepted/supported by the republican party/establishment this won't help him much once he became unbearable as POTUS as well as a person which for me he always was even decades ago i felt that i had to switch tv channels when i saw that face on screen, he reminds me of a guy i know personally and physiognomy is a great hobby of mine to say the least :-)

Short answer:  no.  But, there is not much of an establishment remaining.

The "republican establishment" is among the many species on the endangered list we we accelerate through the Anthropocene.  Observers will dispute the exact genesis, but the Republican party has been tacking increasingly hard right since the 1980s and especially since the mid 1990s, after Bill Clinton broke the continuity of the "Reagan Revolution".  Clinton (and by extension Hillary Clinton) became the devil incarnate to Republicans.

Bush II strayed from core conservative principals, which along with the election of Obama sent the US right wing over the cliff.  The Tea Party became an organized effort in mid 2009 (completely authentic of course, not like these millions of Soros funded protesters we see now in the US) and swept out some establishment types beginning in 2010.

The sheer fact that Trump was able to best 16 other Republican candidates, both traditional and far right types, demonstrated the GOP establishment was for all intents and purposes neutralized as a serious political force.  Trump is neither establishment GOP or Tea Party, but is an opportunist and has shown a proclivity to elevate fringe elements and extremist philosophies from across the US right wing.

Most GOP leaders and congress people, across the spectrum, have made a "deal with the devil" since as you mention they have absolute power across the three branches of US government, and Trump is seen as a conduit to achieving their fiscal and social agendas.  Of course all battle plans are good until the first shot is fired, and we are seeing what will likely be shattered dreams among the GOP, and implications downstream in coming elections.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: February 15, 2017, 05:13:17 AM »
Pence did not learn that Flynn misled him on Russia until last week

Vice President Pence first learned that former national security adviser Michael Flynn had misled him about the nature of his contact with a Russian official on Feb. 9, a full two weeks after other White House officials were briefed on the matter, an aide to Pence said on Tuesday.

That must hurt.....

Some believe Pence is complicit in this mess, but from what I've read (so far), that isn't the case. He may be a lot of things, but I don't believe he would knowingly take part in this.