Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Trump  (Read 1474720 times)

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
Re: The Trump Presidency (was "Presidential Poll")
« Reply #2050 on: April 04, 2017, 05:21:56 PM »
This is why I was asking to see your end game.

Terry

Terry,

I am more focused on the long-game after the coming socio-economic collapse circa 2045 to 2060.  You can focus on short-term political strategies if you like; but I will continue to support moral institutions (say by not politicizing the multiple FBI criminal investigations of the Team Trump - Russian connection) that seek to hold kleptocrats accountable for their corruption.  Then we will see what happens during the 2018 mid-term elections.

ASLR
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #2051 on: April 04, 2017, 05:23:12 PM »
Here's an article about the "odds" of a Trump impeachment.  They have been on the rise (I know....shocking).

Ladbrokes, which has been accepting bets over Trump’s future in Washington, said in February that the fact that there was even a market for such wagers was indicative of the president’s fate.

“The money is showing no signs of slowing down and we’ve been forced to cut Trump’s impeachment odds accordingly. We’ve taken five times the amount of bets on him failing to see out his full term than on him doing so,” Ladbrokes spokesperson Jessica Bridge said at the time. “Ladbrokes didn’t even offer odds on Obama being impeached or resigning, which speaks volumes about the current President.”

The odds for dates when Trump would be “replaced” by were as follows: 7/2 for 2017; 9/2 for 2018; 8/1 for 2019; 16/1 for 2020; 7/4 for 2021; 33/1 for 2022; 40/1 for 2023; 50/1 for 2024; and 5/1 for 2025 or after that.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/odds-grow-possible-trump-impeachment-110004479.html
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: April 04, 2017, 06:16:47 PM »
I wonder if THIS is the reason Donnie wants to give healthcare "another chance" before he attempts anything on the "tax policy front."

http://freakoutnation.com/2017/04/this-congressman-has-had-it-rips-trump-to-shreds-on-the-house-floor-video/

I think Donnie is going to get a LOT OF PUSHBACK until he shows some tax returns.  Again....there is NO REASON NOT TO SHOW THEM.  Put up or shut up Donnie......

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: April 04, 2017, 07:39:34 PM »
People who wonder why so many people continue to LEAVE Christianity in the US....need to watch the following video of what I call.....a "political Christian".  Last week, conservative activists Don and Mary Colbert appeared on “The Jim Bakker Show” for the program, “Reclaiming the Land: Inauguration 2017.”

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/mary-colbert-god-will-curse-trumps-opponents-and-their-children-and-grandchildren/

She should be hired by Trump.  She could give Spicey and Conway a run for their money (literally).... ;)

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: April 04, 2017, 08:31:33 PM »
"Hey....Billo.....you want to go grab something after the game?"

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2055 on: April 04, 2017, 08:57:54 PM »
Marches in April......

April 15th:  March for Trump to show his tax returns

April 22nd:  March For Science

April 29th:  People's March For Climate

http://garnpress.com/2017/march-for-science-and-peoples-climate-march-april-2017/

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 279
« Reply #2056 on: April 04, 2017, 09:02:36 PM »
Here's a link to a graphic about the Russian connections, which has been augmented by the Erik Prince (Blackwater now Xe) revelations. It's as useful as anything I've seen to show what's happening. Best to go to the link and use the rollover to get a rough idea of the scale of the overlap.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/trump-russia/

Latest development

April 3, 2017 | The United Arab Emirates arranged a secret meeting in January between Blackwater founder Erik Prince and a Russian close to President Vladi­mir Putin as part of an apparent effort to establish a back-channel line of communication between Moscow and President-elect Donald Trump, according to U.S., European and Arab officials. Read full story

People involved: Trump, Putin, Prince, Putin representative

Congress and U.S. intelligence agencies are scrutinizing connections between Russia and the Trump campaign as they investigate evidence that Russia interfered in the 2016 election. Here are members of Team Trump who are known to have Russian connections and the story lines that have made those ties relevant.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2057 on: April 04, 2017, 09:33:39 PM »
This is why I was asking to see your end game.

Terry

Terry,

I am more focused on the long-game after the coming socio-economic collapse circa 2045 to 2060.  You can focus on short-term political strategies if you like; but I will continue to support moral institutions (say by not politicizing the multiple FBI criminal investigations of the Team Trump - Russian connection) that seek to hold kleptocrats accountable for their corruption.  Then we will see what happens during the 2018 mid-term elections.

ASLR

Fair enough
Recognize that by 2045 my marker will read that he was born in 1946, and that no one will be going out of their way to visit the site. Not an unmarked grave, rather an unremarkable one.
2018 and possibly 2020 are much more reasonable goals in my case.
Although I read much of what I find about surviving apre le deluge, and sometimes add a comment, any surviving society that let me in would be facing a large resource draw with very little to gain in the exchange.
2045 to 2060 are interesting to me in the same way that the peak of Mt.Everest and the depths of the Mariana Trench are. Interesting to ponder what one will find, but with no expectation of visiting.

Although politics can be thought of as the realm of the possible, and midterm elections usually swing to those not in power, I'd hate to pin my hopes on a takeover of both houses in 2018 by an unorganized, divisive Democratic Party. If the same corporations are funding each party, there's no guarantee that those democrats elected in 2018 would be willing to enact the legislation we so desperately need.

I don't mean to evoke a false equivalency. Whatever indistinct glimmer we see at the end of the tunnel emanates from the leftward, democratic side. But it provides little illumination to guide our way.

Republican investigations of Trump, finally decided either by Republican Senators, Republican Congressmen or Republican Jurists seem an unusual source of consolation. If Trump should be found guilty of something, he'll certainly be replaced by another Republican, this one more leery of defying their corporate masters than Trump.

You can claim that the American Constitution was upheld, but most of the world isn't bound by that document, and would be horrified if it was forced upon them.

Terry

Zeug Gezeugt

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 46
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #2058 on: April 04, 2017, 10:45:41 PM »
By the same token ( of reported popularity ) Mugabe is an amazing uber president...

Such popularity usually correlates with autocratic strongmen...

Hi Tskoul,

it's Gallup! Not some domestic Russky propaganda outlet operating at the ruthless dictator's pleasure but the US founded global polling company. You'll find the same numbers at Pew. Putin actually does have consistent 80%+ popularity amongst his fellow Russians, they revere him for his leadership of the country and restoration of the nation post-Yeltsin, and most especially since the US launched the current round of economic warfare in 2014.

As for Mugabe, he's at the bottom of the popularity ladder for African leaders with just 36% approval.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/154088/african-leaders-enjoy-strong-support.aspx

What you're doing is blatantly disregarding and then distorting the facts of the matter to suit your own preconceived thinking... does this sound familiar?

I'm finding it rather difficult to believe that seemingly intelligent people such as yourself and Buddy can be so forthright and honest about CC and then turn around and be so self deceiving and compartmentalised about the ridiculous levels of propaganda you're imbibing re those damn dirty Russians!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 11:05:30 PM by Zeug Gezeugt »

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 744
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #2059 on: April 04, 2017, 11:59:26 PM »

"The 9th circuit will IMO probably uphold the lower court overruling of the Trump immigration ban. The republicans will stall awhile until they invoke the nuclear option so they can get Gorsuch confirmed by a simple majority vote. Then they will again stall in anticipation of being able to put one more even more hard right judge on the Supreme Court. That should buy them a 6 / 3 conservative court that can outlive a democratic presidency if there is a voter backlash in four years. So liberalism on the court will be dead for at least 12 and maybe 16 years. That is what a vote for Clinton was intended to prevent.
 The Russian intervention that resulted in casting enough doubt on Clinton to get the bummed out
millennials to stay home or throw away their vote probably was the deciding factor. Without Wikileaks revealing the Democratic caucus undermining of Sanders this election ( again IMO ) would have gone differently.
 I think Clintons Syrian policy and deep state plans for a pipeline through some territories divided off a Syrian failed state and controlled by Kurds and a quasi democratic regime was probably what drove Russia to intervene . They won but now they have to figure out how to keep the batshit crazy republicans from whatever plans they can cook up to relieve the Middleeast of their remaining oil reserves.
 When this leads to the next war , or expands the current constant state of war, then the Republicans will need to figure out whether they really want Trump in control. He will have given them the Court they wanted and maybe his utility will have a short timeline. Pence seems a more likely war commander ."

I am sticking to my predictions from Feb. 8 on this thread.  Everything is rolling out fairly predictably.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: April 05, 2017, 12:03:36 AM »
Recognize that by 2045 my marker will read that he was born in 1946, and that no one will be going out of their way to visit the site.

Ray Kurzweil was born in 1948, and he is very interested in the 2045 timeframe as indicated by the linked article:

https://futurism.com/kurzweil-claims-that-the-singularity-will-happen-by-2045/

Extract: "2029 is the consistent date I have predicted for when an AI will pass a valid Turing test and therefore achieve human levels of intelligence. I have set the date 2045 for the ‘Singularity’ which is when we will multiply our effective intelligence a billion fold by merging with the intelligence we have created."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: April 05, 2017, 12:17:57 AM »
As I imagine that Team Trump will try to misdirect as much media attention as possible towards Susan Rice, I provide the linked article entitled: "Susan Rice's Careful Dance on Trump Surveillance", in order to set the story straight.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/04/susan-rice-trump/521862/

Extract: "Former National Security Advisor Susan Rice told MSNBC’s Andrea Mitchell Tuesday she did not spy on President Trump or members of his team for political purposes, and that she had not leaked information gleaned from intelligence reports about them.

But while she refused to confirm it directly, citing classified information, Rice seemed to imply she requested that members of the Trump team whose names were redacted in intelligence reports be “unmasked,” or identified, as a report Monday from Bloomberg View’s Eli Lake asserted. The stories focus on “incidental collection,” when an American is caught up in surveillance of a foreign target, in which case the American’s name is redacted but can legally be revealed at the request of certain officials, including the national security adviser.
At one point in the interview, Mitchell seemed on the verge of asking Rice point-blank if she had requested unmasking of any Trump team officials, but then added, “in order to spy on them?”

“Absolutely not for any political purposes, to spy, expose, anything,” Rice said, adding there was “no equivalence between unmasking and leaking.”"
― Leon C. Megginson

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #2062 on: April 05, 2017, 12:21:09 AM »
Simple,  Zeug.

- I don't care if Putin is revered. Bless them Ruskies. But from the moment you come here and insult me as a moron yank, you expect any constructive dialogue?? I have not for a single moment insulted the Russians. Neither we have called yankophobe or yankophile: But you cannot convince me about the angelic nature of their leaders given what I have read in 3 different countries and 2 different continents. Chavez was revered too for a while...

- propaganda cuts both ways. There is no way we can tell you have not been brainwashed either. None of your arguments has convinced us otherwise. It has been an us vs them back and forth. In fact you were forthright in demonizing every one of our past leadership. Nazi this, warmonger that etc etc. nothing is black and white, if you think otherwise you are a propaganda victim yourself too. Unless you think you are the bearer of the single universal truth. And since Jesus you ain't, have some humility.

My only care is to get rid of Trump and the republican leadership with whatever democratic means are available. Impeachment is part of the rule book... he has to be proven incompetent or to have broken the law. To be seen. His environmental stance is not against the law and all the new rules or his demolition of existing rules is to be challenged at court and through the mid term elections both state and federal - and that is a lengthy process.  The only gray zone regarding the law is his ethics or lack thereof ( finances, deals etc) and his possible interaction with a foreign power.  Unless you know of something else. It am going to use the rule book and investigations as they have used them in the past.  Why the hypocrisy of using the rule book? Because you think any interaction with a foreign power is without merit ? Heck if the tables where turned around they would not have hesitated a second...

- there are many strings. Some of us will protest the environment, others the health care, others the tax code, others his ethics and finances, and others his connections and back door discussions.

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: April 05, 2017, 02:04:35 AM »
Terry and Zeug,

What should be done about North Korea? Trumpeter wants to go it alone.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: April 05, 2017, 02:11:59 AM »

"The 9th circuit will IMO probably uphold the lower court overruling of the Trump immigration ban. The republicans will stall awhile until they invoke the nuclear option so they can get Gorsuch confirmed by a simple majority vote. Then they will again stall in anticipation of being able to put one more even more hard right judge on the Supreme Court. That should buy them a 6 / 3 conservative court that can outlive a democratic presidency if there is a voter backlash in four years. So liberalism on the court will be dead for at least 12 and maybe 16 years. That is what a vote for Clinton was intended to prevent.
 The Russian intervention that resulted in casting enough doubt on Clinton to get the bummed out
millennials to stay home or throw away their vote probably was the deciding factor. Without Wikileaks revealing the Democratic caucus undermining of Sanders this election ( again IMO ) would have gone differently.
 I think Clintons Syrian policy and deep state plans for a pipeline through some territories divided off a Syrian failed state and controlled by Kurds and a quasi democratic regime was probably what drove Russia to intervene . They won but now they have to figure out how to keep the batshit crazy republicans from whatever plans they can cook up to relieve the Middleeast of their remaining oil reserves.
 When this leads to the next war , or expands the current constant state of war, then the Republicans will need to figure out whether they really want Trump in control. He will have given them the Court they wanted and maybe his utility will have a short timeline. Pence seems a more likely war commander ."

I am sticking to my predictions from Feb. 8 on this thread.  Everything is rolling out fairly predictably.

In your post from Feb 8, #1278 for those that prefer the count, you posted many of these same points. I agree with some of them.

I believe I'm correct in stating that the polling organizations noted a dip in Hillary's numbers when Comey , head of the FBI, in a possibly unprecedented move, first announced his investigation of candidate Clinton's email controversy. After he later dropped the investigation her numbers began to recover until, with but 11 days remaining in the campaign, Comey opened another "investigation".
Hillary did not recover from this whipsaw of investigations by the most respected police force in the land.

The move may have been unique in American electioneering, but in 2004? the head of the RCMP, Canada's preeminent police force, "investigated" a leading Liberal candidate late in the election cycle. It was later proven that the charges were bogus & that no investigation had actually occurred, but this was after the Conservative candidate had won the election.

While Wikileaks revelations into the inner workings of the DNC, apparently obtained when
Podesta revealed his password to an internet entity pretending to be Google, were dripped out in a manner not likely to be visible to the pollsters, they undoubtedly cost Hillary some votes, it's difficult to believe however that this had anywhere near the effect that the FBI's dual investigations had.

Assange says the Russians didn't provide his information, and produced the DNC letter that backs his claim. If he's simply a Russian stooge, then for gods sake let Manning go free.

Terry

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: April 05, 2017, 02:19:00 AM »
Vladimir Putin has rejected US intelligence claims that Bashar al-Assad's regime used chemical weapons in Syria, saying it would be "utter nonsense" for government troops to use such tactics in a war it was already winning.

"That is why I am convinced that [the chemical attack] is nothing more than a provocation by those who want to drag other countries into the Syrian conflict, and who want to win the support of powerful members of the international arena, especially the United States," Putin told journalists in Vladivostok.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/31/syria-un-weapons-inspectors-leave

The chemical air strikes must be propaganda perpetrated by Obama...

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: April 05, 2017, 02:32:11 AM »
Terry and Zeug,

Apparently Shrub's announcing to a nuclear nation that they were on a short list of enemies about to be dealt with hasn't worked out too well.
They probably believed that the US is capable of bombing their dams and killing millions, or even that the US could drop atomic bombs on Asian civilians.
I'm sure that once these irrational fears have been explained away, they'll return to the peaceful agrarian lifestyle that they once shared with Laos and Cambodia.

Terry
What's your solution?

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: April 05, 2017, 02:40:23 AM »
Vladimir Putin has rejected US intelligence claims that Bashar al-Assad's regime used chemical weapons in Syria, saying it would be "utter nonsense" for government troops to use such tactics in a war it was already winning.

"That is why I am convinced that [the chemical attack] is nothing more than a provocation by those who want to drag other countries into the Syrian conflict, and who want to win the support of powerful members of the international arena, especially the United States," Putin told journalists in Vladivostok.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/31/syria-un-weapons-inspectors-leave

It's been years, but weren't the gas canisters proven to have been from the ISIS side?
IIRC Assad gave Putin all of his gas stores and the attack was put on hold.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while.
Terry

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: April 05, 2017, 02:43:27 AM »
Terry and Zeug,

Apparently Shrub's announcing to a nuclear nation that they were on a short list of enemies about to be dealt with hasn't worked out too well.
They probably believed that the US is capable of bombing their dams and killing millions, or even that the US could drop atomic bombs on Asian civilians.
I'm sure that once these irrational fears have been explained away, they'll return to the peaceful agrarian lifestyle that they once shared with Laos and Cambodia.

Terry
What's your solution?

Cluster#%#%... There is no good solution with a paranoid regime...they have brainwashed their citizens for too long.  The Chinese are afraid of collapse and they are not willing to do anything. Any US or S. Korea military action and Seoul will pay it dearly. Status quo will lead to militarization of Japan.

N. Korea will not abandon nuclear weapons.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: April 05, 2017, 03:42:01 AM »
Recognize that by 2045 my marker will read that he was born in 1946, and that no one will be going out of their way to visit the site.

Ray Kurzweil was born in 1948, and he is very interested in the 2045 timeframe as indicated by the linked article:

https://futurism.com/kurzweil-claims-that-the-singularity-will-happen-by-2045/

Extract: "2029 is the consistent date I have predicted for when an AI will pass a valid Turing test and therefore achieve human levels of intelligence. I have set the date 2045 for the ‘Singularity’ which is when we will multiply our effective intelligence a billion fold by merging with the intelligence we have created."

Futurists have their place. I remember pouring over Future Shock, Toffler had predicted the breakup of the Soviet Union back in 1970, he'd also predicted the demise of the US of A, but that was forgotten when in 1990 the Evil Empire closed their doors.

I just don't think I'll have much effect on how things play out in 2045 or 2060, and probably very little in 2018 or 2020. I can try to make local politicians aware that the problems they face are exacerbated by climate change. Most now in power here in Ontario are already aware, and the locals recognize my face and know the message I'll be espousing.

Terry

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2070 on: April 05, 2017, 05:14:56 AM »
Now that everyone in the press is comfortable with the "L" word....I see that Democrat's are just now starting to break out the "J" word (jail).   It's fascinating to see the process progress from one stage to the next. Time is ticking by Donnie......👮

Zeug Gezeugt

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: April 05, 2017, 05:22:19 AM »

Again, your sense of humour is misplaced Tskoul, and yes according to the US investigative journalist Seymour Hersh the US admin misrepresented the fact that it was most probably Al Qaeda / Al Nusra that did the deed as a way of triggering Obama's "red line". Note also the Sarin gas was quite possibly Libyan in origin and smuggled in via the CIA ratline from Benghazi under the apparently unwatchful eye of Hillary Clinton's employee there, the soon to be deceased US ambassador.

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v35/n24/seymour-m-hersh/whose-sarin
https://www.lrb.co.uk/v36/n08/seymour-m-hersh/the-red-line-and-the-rat-line

But this must surely just be another wacky conspiracy theory as Obama never lied, Hillary wasn't crooked, and the US is just the honest broker of all its various wars?

Zeug Gezeugt

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: April 05, 2017, 06:02:34 AM »
And this just in from yet another Fox friendly right wing shill making fun of Democrat outrage over Russian Hacking Claims:

NOAM CHOMSKY: It’s a pretty remarkable fact that—first of all, it is a joke. Half the world is cracking up in laughter. The United States doesn’t just interfere in elections. It overthrows governments it doesn’t like, institutes military dictatorships. Simply in the case of Russia alone—it’s the least of it—the U.S. government, under Clinton, intervened quite blatantly and openly, then tried to conceal it, to get their man Yeltsin in, in all sorts of ways. So, this, as I say, it’s considered—it’s turning the United States, again, into a laughingstock in the world.

So why are the Democrats focusing on this? In fact, why are they focusing so much attention on the one element of Trump’s programs which is fairly reasonable, the one ray of light in this gloom: trying to reduce tensions with Russia? That’s—the tensions on the Russian border are extremely serious. They could escalate to a major terminal war. Efforts to try to reduce them should be welcomed. Just a couple of days ago, the former U.S. ambassador to Russia, Jack Matlock, came out and said he just can’t believe that so much attention is being paid to apparent efforts by the incoming administration to establish connections with Russia. He said, "Sure, that’s just what they ought to be doing."

So, meanwhile, this one topic is the primary locus of concern and critique, while, meanwhile, the policies are proceeding step by step, which are extremely destructive and harmful. So, you know, yeah, maybe the Russians tried to interfere in the election. That’s not a major issue. Maybe the people in the Trump campaign were talking to the Russians. Well, OK, not a major point, certainly less than is being done constantly. And it is a kind of a paradox, I think, that the one issue that seems to inflame the Democratic opposition is the one thing that has some justification and reasonable aspects to it.
https://www.democracynow.org/2017/4/4/chomsky_half_the_world_is_laughing

Which is also what I've been saying here. This Russky fiasco is laughable, utterly dangerous, and kills off just about the only positive thing about Trump's administration while causing MAJOR DISTRACTION from the real issues. You people pushing this madness are the problem rather than the solution!

I guess Chomsky now is what ... going senile? Was always a closet Putin lover? Showing his true Tea Party colours? How does a Russophobe spin this one?

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: April 05, 2017, 06:03:57 AM »
It appears that those pushing for investigations under oath, under American Law and under the Constitution will soon get their way as the House Intelligence Panel wants Susan Rice to testify.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-04-04/house-intel-panel-asks-susan-rice-testify

I personally doubt the impartiality of any investigations in this poisonous atmosphere, but have no doubt that constitutional law will be upheld. Those who find solace in the sanctity of The Constitution will no doubt be elated, those of us who prefer tempering the absolutes of written law with the common sense that men possess may be less than thrilled.

If any truths are revealed, I fear they will be incidental to the investigation.

Terry

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: April 05, 2017, 06:59:47 AM »
And this just in from yet another Fox friendly right wing shill making fun of Democrat outrage over Russian Hacking Claims:

https://www.democracynow.org/2017/4/4/chomsky_half_the_world_is_laughing

Which is also what I've been saying here. This Russky fiasco is laughable, utterly dangerous, and kills off just about the only positive thing about Trump's administration while causing MAJOR DISTRACTION from the real issues. You people pushing this madness are the problem rather than the solution!

I guess Chomsky now is what ... going senile? Was always a closet Putin lover? Showing his true Tea Party colours? How does a Russophobe spin this one?

What kind of name is Chomsky anyway. Sounds Russky as hell to me. He probably wrote those earlier leftist screeds just to catch us off guard now that it really matters. Obvious a one man sleeper cell. Borst will now be referred to as Patriot Pottage and Vodka as Liberty Liquor. Never trust anyone who puts a "U" in color. Have you now, or in the past, attended meetings where Russians were present? All we want are the names of others that attended those meetings. Are you involved in any way with the film industry? Have you ever been in contact with a government official, were his orders written in the Cyrillic alphabet?

I think it was ridicule that finally brought the old tail gunner down. Apologies to those caught in the crossfire.

Terry

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: April 05, 2017, 08:38:46 AM »

Again, your sense of humour is misplaced Tskoul, and yes according to the US investigative journalist Seymour Hersh the US admin misrepresented the fact that it was most probably Al Qaeda / Al Nusra that did the deed as a way of triggering Obama's "red line". Note also the Sarin gas was quite possibly Libyan in origin and smuggled in via the CIA ratline from Benghazi under the apparently unwatchful eye of Hillary Clinton's employee there, the soon to be deceased US ambassador.

But this must surely just be another wacky conspiracy theory as Obama never lied, Hillary wasn't crooked, and the US is just the honest broker of all its various wars?

Of course .. now I get it....

Zeug Gezeugt

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: April 05, 2017, 11:29:26 AM »

Of course .. now I get it....

Yes, rather amazing isn't it? This was all out there at the time Obama was banging on about how "Assad must go!", although it wasn't covered in US corporate media as the story of course didn't fit with the US State Dept approved narrative.

And it's not like you can bash Hersh's credentials being one of the most respected and professional investigative journalists in US media with what has always seemed to be a mainline to the CIA.

Obama knew it was probably Al Qaeda, the Sarin probably came from Hillary's Benghazi ratline, and the whole thing was obviously a false flag because seriously, what kind of 3rd world dictatorial idiot would give the US a ready made excuse to bomb and kill them? Especially after Sadam and Qaddafi!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 01:08:12 PM by Zeug Gezeugt »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: April 05, 2017, 01:12:15 PM »
As Donnie's approval ratings continue to decline.....and his disapproval ratings continue to climb.......he will find himself in a more and more precarious position, and under an increasing amount of pressure.  Some of that "internal", and some of it external (press, public, politicians).

As I had previously noted.....most people make BAD DECISIONS when under pressure.  In golf....if you have a "sound mechanical swing", it holds up much better under pressure.   And if a golfer has a "good decision making process"......he/she processes the odds of each potential shot....and makes reasoned, calculated decisions:

1)  Where do I stand on the leader board?
2)  What are the REALISTIC ODDS of pulling off this shot?
3)  If I don't pull off this shot...which side would I prefer to miss it on?
4)  What do the holes AHEAD look like?
5)  If I miss this shot....what is my NEXT SHOT going to be?
6)  What does my caddy think when I ask him for his HONEST opinion....and do I have a caddy that actually GIVES ME HONEST OPIONIONS?
7)  What does MY HISTORY tell me about the odds of pulling off the shot?
etc.....

Donnie has some "shots" to make in the coming weeks and months:

1)  Syria
2)  Korea
3)  Iran
4)  RussiaGate
5)  Healthcare
6)  And multitude of other important economic, social, and political issues....

And unfortunately......Donnie not only has a bad swing, he has a HORRIBLE decision making process.  And unfortunately for us....the chances of him hitting a shot "into the water" are much higher than I would like.

Remember.....he has the Russian fiasco hanging around his neck.  And his poll numbers are in the toilet....and likely headed further south.  I had previously said the chances are HIGH that he will "look for a conflict" by the end of April.  We're in April.  He has already ramped up sending of troops to Syria.  And now the saber rattling in Korea has started.  And starting on the 15th of this month....there will be marches for three Saturdays in a row.  What will the pressure do to Donnie boy?  Who wants to bet on him making the right decisions....AND....executing those shots?

These are VERY dangerous times....and I don't take this lightly.  I certainly hope you don't.  Now you know why John McCain said:  "I'm more worried about this country than I have been my entire life."

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2017/04/01/mccain_more_worried_about_this_country_in_my_entire_life_trump_is_no_reagan.html

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: April 05, 2017, 08:16:55 PM »
From the "looks of the table".....I would guess that Donnie is going to set up his "confrontation" in Syria.  This will do the following.....

1)  Get peoples mind off of RussiaGate at least to SOME extent
2)  Should get him a "bump up" in the polls for at least the short term or intermediate term (unless he REALLY "screws the pooch")
3)  Get's him a "win" of some sort.....certainly among the war hawks just for sending more troops in
4)  Remember....there are 3 marches coming up on the 15th, 22nd, and 29th of this month.  It would be pretty good timing to "take some of the air out" of those.....

Watch closely to see what develops over the coming days/weeks........

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: April 05, 2017, 09:29:03 PM »
One more desperate "stab" at ANYTHING by Donnie.....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-susan-rice_us_58e51fdae4b0fe4ce0874c3e?7qp&

Trump knows that "unmasking" or requests for "unmasking" are a USUAL and NORMAL request by those in the intelligence community.  Classified information comes to people with some "names" removed IF they are incidental to the wiretap.  "American #1" or "woman #1" could be used instead of the name.  IF.....the person looking at the intelligence report NEEDS TO KNOW the actual NAME of that person in order to put the intelligence into more context.....then they REQUEST the intelligence source to reveal the name of that person (unmask).  It is NOT released immediately...it goes through a PROCESS....and in the process, IF the intelligence agency DOES "unmask the person"....then Susan Rice (or whoever is the person requesting) is duty-bound to NOT release that information to anyone.

So Donnie.....is grasping at straws.....and the intelligence agencies KNOW THAT.  Which means.....they will look harder.

Donnie is getting desperate.......which is dangerous.

Zeug Gezeugt

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: April 05, 2017, 11:03:51 PM »
Terry and Zeug,

Hi Tskoul,

as the Russians have been saying for some time, just show the North some simple respect and stop publicly ridiculing and goading them, apparently it's an Asian thing, saving face and all. With simple respect as a cordial, diplomatic basis then start negotiations with them directly on how to normalise trading and other relations, moving towards a treaty with S Korea, disarmament, bring them back into the 'international community' etc. Probably involve their Chinese and Russian neighbours as well. You know, have the US take the world leadership role that it's always wanted and actually ... lead!

The problem with nuclear proliferation however is that it's seen as the only real guarantor of safety, and you'll notice the US global war machine doesn't tend to invade and destroy nuclear armed 'enemies'. But N Korea is also useful as a pariah state and will probably be the match to light the hot war against China sometime in the next decade or two. If the US is to attain and maintain Full Spectrum Dominance of the planet's economic and military affairs for the 21st C then they're going to have to take China sooner or later.

So I'm afraid the Pax Americana will probably require nuking the degenerate N Koreans, and if Trump hasn't the gumption then by gods the next guy/gal/tg just might!

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2081 on: April 06, 2017, 12:06:32 AM »
Re: Korea and Empire

I do not think that the USA understands that most of the world now echoes the closing sentence from

http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/2004_05_01_riverbendblog_archive.html#108392335918002921

"Chaos? Civil war? Bloodshed? We’ll take our chances- just take your Puppets, your tanks, your smart weapons, your dumb politicians, your lies, your empty promises, your rapists, your sadistic torturers and go."

Just go away. That would probably be the best course. Discard the mantle of Empire, and care for the home, ere mantle becomes shroud.

sidd

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: April 06, 2017, 12:37:03 AM »

I do not think that the USA understands that most of the world now echoes the closing sentence from

http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/2004_05_01_riverbendblog_archive.html#108392335918002921

"Chaos? Civil war? Bloodshed? We’ll take our chances- just take your Puppets, your tanks, your smart weapons, your dumb politicians, your lies, your empty promises, your rapists, your sadistic torturers and go."

Just go away. That would probably be the best course. Discard the mantle of Empire, and care for the home, ere mantle becomes shroud.

sidd

Don't hold back sidd, tell us what you really think...

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: April 06, 2017, 12:50:09 AM »
Φονιάδες των Λαών Αμερικανοί ... Good old slogans from the far left groups of my homeland ...brings back memories..

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: April 06, 2017, 01:40:43 AM »
Re: slogans from the far left groups of my homeland

Close, if you refer to the CIA/Gladio/Colonels coup in 1967.  But this from Iraq in 2004. Riverbend was a blogger in Bagdad then, and her evolution from fierce critic of Sadaam Hussein to moral condemnation of the invasion by the USA is well worth reading. She has seen Empire up close and personal and she didn't like it. So have many others, with similar reaction.

sidd

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2085 on: April 06, 2017, 02:02:14 AM »
Re: slogans from the far left groups of my homeland

Close, if you refer to the CIA/Gladio/Colonels coup in 1967.  But this from Iraq in 2004. Riverbend was a blogger in Bagdad then, and her evolution from fierce critic of Sadaam Hussein to moral condemnation of the invasion by the USA is well worth reading. She has seen Empire up close and personal and she didn't like it. So have many others, with similar reaction.

sidd

The same goes for the British and the Russian and the German empires..we ( old homeland ) have seen them all up close and personal. In that sense all are similarly guilty ...

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: April 06, 2017, 02:45:02 AM »

sidd

Chalabi, Rumsfeld, Bremer, Abu Ghraib, Guantanamo, wedding parties, Faloojeh. Even just listing them feels subversive.
Can you tell me more about Riverbend? Can you recommend anything similar? What I read was a marvelous window into a time not long past that many would prefer to forget. Before committing to the next war, shouldn't we look back at the reality of our behavior during the last?

Thanks for the memories!!
Terry

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: April 06, 2017, 06:36:53 AM »
http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/

seems to cover 2006-2013, the link i posted seems to be an archive copy of the 2004 post
you might have some luck playing with the url or looking on memoryhole or archive.org

amazing how we forget.

sidd

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: April 06, 2017, 08:59:26 AM »
http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/

seems to cover 2006-2013, the link i posted seems to be an archive copy of the 2004 post
you might have some luck playing with the url or looking on memoryhole or archive.org

amazing how we forget.

sidd

Thanks again sidd. I'll read as much as I can stomach in hopes that it will bolster my pleas for peace.

The obscenity that we call war needs to be fought against on every level. I knew this as a teen in the 60's, but over the years the immediacy of the cause took second billing to making money, securing an affluent retirement, and even global warming.

I've lived on rental income for decades, I've studied climate change and the loss of Arctic Sea Ice for years. Perhaps it's time to return to my roots as a peacenik.

If we fight a major war against anyone who can fight back, we'll kill and maim more people in a week than global warming will injure in a decade.
If we fight a major war, the rest of the world won't necessarily fight at our side.
If we fight a war we'll never achieve consensus WRT carbon emissions.

We need to lead or be lead based on moral strength, not military might.
We need to make sacrifices not for our Christian brothers, but for Muslims, Buddhists and Atheists.
We need to ridicule those who glorify militancy, who demand vassals, and who honor veterans.

The winds of Berkeley are ruffling my hair. Reagan's helicopters drop teargas. State troopers approach with shotguns bristling from every window & conscripts, freed from their servitude, taunt their former officers, those that survived the fraggings.

Terry
War, what is it good for.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: April 06, 2017, 08:37:35 PM »
Those people expecting Rep Conaway (R from Texas) to be any better than Nunes.....will be sorely disappointed.  He's not the brightest bulb in the package.....and he looked like an absolute idiot when he was questioning FBI director Comey last month.  He is every bit as biased as Nunes....and probably less IQ as well.  I believe he was the financial controller of George Bush's failed oil company going back a couple decades.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/house-intelligence-nunes-russia-trump_us_58e658f8e4b0917d3477f4b1?6fi

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: April 07, 2017, 03:52:18 AM »
I guess the pacifier changed his mind......

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 04:45:33 AM by TerryM »

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: April 07, 2017, 08:13:05 AM »
Obama didn't bite on the first purported gas attack. Trump took the bait, but also he needed to look tough, bomb somebody, while Obama didn't. Timing is everything. I don't know if he really believes the intelligence they feed him or he just needed to bomb somebody quick to dispel Russian fears.

It just struck me that the reason he likes to hang in florida is that he knows the Whilte House is bugged ten ways from sunday. Sorta like the pope's choice of residence after he was elected.  And Trump feels safer on his own property where he thinks he can control eavesdropping.

He's in over his head, but we knew that going in.

sidd

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: April 07, 2017, 10:15:35 AM »
sidd
Timing is indeed everything.

100 years to the day since a peace candidate won the presidency, then plunged into WWI.

Few alive today will remember that betrayal of the voting citizenry, but hopefully many in 2018 and 2020 will recall this new Day of Infamy.

Terry

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: April 07, 2017, 12:44:21 PM »
Obama didn't bite on the first purported gas attack. Trump took the bait, but also he needed to look tough, bomb somebody, while Obama didn't. Timing is everything. I don't know if he really believes the intelligence they feed him or he just needed to bomb somebody quick to dispel Russian fears.

I knew it would happen sooner or later.  Trump did something I would have done (kind of).  I always felt that Obama should NEVER have laid down the "red line".  Once he DID....then THIS was the type of action that he NEEDED to take (although destroying the airfield should have been done....here, the AIRFIELD ITSELF wasn't touched).

But we all know that Donnie didn't do this because he loves babies.  Babies were killed in 2013 as well.  And 4 years ago.....the US was SICK AND TIRED OF WARS.  We still are...but NOT to the same degree.

Donnie did this to "appear tough"......change the subject......get the talk off the bromance between Trump and Putin......and raise his poll numbers.  And he will have accomplished that for at least the short term.   

He's in over his head, but we knew that going in.

Yes we did.....

The process continues.  Donnie bought himself some time....and a bump up in the polls at least for the short term.  But the RussiaGate investigation continues.....and Donnie won't be able to wash that off.

There are many more shoes to drop for this "centipede" as McCain likes to refer to RussiaGate.

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: April 07, 2017, 12:49:00 PM »
Obama did ask the Congress and got a big fat No by the republicans...

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #2097 on: April 07, 2017, 01:06:03 PM »
My feelings about Trump are clear. He is a fool, but destroying the airport from which the WMD's were launched was the right thing to do. My preference would have been to drop the tomahawks right on top of al Assad's residence and rid the world of that monster, but an airport and some of the jet fighters that actually dropped the WMD's  send a clear enough message.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: April 07, 2017, 01:40:45 PM »
Obama did ask the Congress and got a big fat No by the republicans...

Of course....it is much easier NOW to look back and "armchair quarterback."  Obama didn't do "nothing"....indeed, Obama worked with international inspectors and got rid of 1,300 tons of sarin and other nasty chemical weapons.  Something a military strike would NOT do.

BUT....in hindsight.....BOTH likely could have been done.  First.....a surgical strike that "sends the message", then the option:  (1) work with the Russians AND the international community to rid Syria of its chemical weapons OR (2) we'll bomb the hell out of SEVERAL MORE areas.

In HINDSIGHT....that would have likely been achievable on both fronts:  The quick strike for the warhawks......and the chemical weapons search and seizure of Syria.  Being a QB on Monday morning is a LOT EASIER.

For those of you that are "history buffs" and are "looking for the truth"....you might also do some reading/listening to the Cuban missile crisis and how Kennedy handled that.  Pretty interesting stuff....

Some interesting reading on the Obama handling of Syria is below....

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/04/05/obama-was-right-to-abandon-red-line-on-syria-s-chemical-weapons.html

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/07/obama-syria-foreign-policy-red-line-revisited-214059

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: April 07, 2017, 02:09:19 PM »
Maybe THIS GUY is on to something??? ;)