Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Trump  (Read 1474734 times)

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: The Trump Presidency (was "Presidential Poll")
« Reply #2350 on: May 06, 2017, 09:42:03 PM »
I'm sure the House and Senate ethics committees will get right on this.... ;)

In Beijing, China, President Trump’s son-in-law and close advisor Jared Kushner’s sister, Nicole Kushner, was busted hawking E-B5 visas to wealthy Chinese businessmen in exchange for investments into the Kushner 1 real estate project in New Jersey.

China’s Qiaowai company held the event at the Beijing Ritz-Carlton, which was billed as “Invest $500,000 And Emigrate To The United States.” Nicole Kushner promised an investor’s visa – otherwise known as the “golden visa” – to those willing to funnel enormous sums of money to Kushner family projects.

http://occupydemocrats.com/2017/05/06/kushner-family-just-booted-reporters-shady-event/
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2351 on: May 06, 2017, 10:05:50 PM »
I'm sure the House and Senate ethics committees will get right on this.... ;)

In Beijing, China, President Trump’s son-in-law and close advisor Jared Kushner’s sister, Nicole Kushner, was busted hawking E-B5 visas to wealthy Chinese businessmen in exchange for investments into the Kushner 1 real estate project in New Jersey.

China’s Qiaowai company held the event at the Beijing Ritz-Carlton, which was billed as “Invest $500,000 And Emigrate To The United States.” Nicole Kushner promised an investor’s visa – otherwise known as the “golden visa” – to those willing to funnel enormous sums of money to Kushner family projects.

http://occupydemocrats.com/2017/05/06/kushner-family-just-booted-reporters-shady-event/

I believe Canada offers a similar plan, possibly with a lower investment threshold. Canada's isn't secret & I was unaware that the American version was hidden.
Terry

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #2352 on: May 06, 2017, 11:31:56 PM »

I believe Canada offers a similar plan, possibly with a lower investment threshold. Canada's isn't secret & I was unaware that the American version was hidden.
Terry

If there is no potential for a conflict of interest then why were reporters forced out of the room, per the linked article entitled: "Reporters were forced out of the room during the Kushner family's presentation to wealthy Chinese investors"?

http://www.businessinsider.com/kushner-family-reporters-beijing-china-visa-2017-5

“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: May 07, 2017, 02:01:03 AM »

Terry

If there is no potential for a conflict of interest then why were reporters forced out of the room, per the linked article entitled: "Reporters were forced out of the room during the Kushner family's presentation to wealthy Chinese investors"?

http://www.businessinsider.com/kushner-family-reporters-beijing-china-visa-2017-5

Not sure, but I've chased reporters out of my office for the most ingenuous reasons.
I despise Trump and his family, but this seems a little thin.

Terry

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: May 07, 2017, 08:22:11 PM »
Macron victory in France will take a little steam out of Donnie here in the states.  Especially seeing as though Macron STOMPED Le Pen.

Tomorrow....more steam comes out of the Trump presidency as people discover Donnie and company knew a LOT MORE than they were letting on about Michael Flynn.....and more people find out that THEY WERE LYING.

And over the coming weeks.....TrumpCare (or more appropriately...TrumpDeath) will make him and his supporters LESS likeable still.  Could be a bad month for Donnie...

I guess he will try to tackle MORE tax cuts (TrumpCare WAS a tax cut for the wealthy already)....but now the REAL LYING will get going....as Trump and his band of crooks try to take even more wealth from the middle class by repealing the Inheritance Tax.....doing away with the Alternative Minimum Tax.....and reducing rates on the highest income group.

Donnie.....sorry about the overwhelming loss by Le Penn.  SUCK ON THAT...

Martin Gisser

« Reply #2355 on: May 07, 2017, 09:42:10 PM »
Macron victory in France will take a little steam out of Donnie here in the states.  Especially seeing as though Macron STOMPED Le Pen.
YES. The French don't like their intelligence being insulted. Next time Russians will have to give money and hacked emails to those they want to discredit.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: May 09, 2017, 03:06:54 AM »
Not sure, but I've chased reporters out of my office for the most ingenuous reasons.
I despise Trump and his family, but this seems a little thin.

The linked article is entitled: “Kushner Kin’s China Sales Pitch ‘Corruption, Pure and Simple’: Expert”.  This information makes it looks like the Kushner Company is guilty of influence peddling even if they apologized for it.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/spicer-kushner-not-involved-family-s-chinese-eb-5-visa-n756406

Extract: “"This is corruption, pure and simple," said Richard Painter, who was an attorney for President George W. Bush and is now a University of Minnesota law professor.

She name-checked Kushner, according to reporters from the Washington Post and the New York Times who attended. Trump's photo also was included in a slideshow that described him as a key decision-maker on the fate of the EB-5 program, but Kushner Companies said that was the work of the Chinese organizer.

The linked article is entitled: “Sally Yates told White House aides Flynn was a Russian blackmail risk. 18 days later, he was fired.”  It looks like people (MSM, Congress, the FBI) need to keep after the WH to explain why they waited 18-day before firing Flynn.

"Kushner Companies apologizes if that mention of her brother was in any way interpreted as an attempt to lure investors. That was not Ms. Meyer's intention," the statement said.

But some event attendees told the newspapers that the company's connection to the White House was a definite bonus as they decided whether to put their money into the project.

"The Trump relationship is an extra point for me," Bi Ting told the Times after a presentation in Shanghai on Sunday.”
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: May 09, 2017, 05:31:13 AM »
As mentioned previously:
In Canada prospective residents can jump a lot of hurtles by investing in, or opening a Canadian business. There are minimum investments required & there may be requirements for a certain number of permanent employees. It was something we looked at when friends from Nevada were considering the move.
Here it's not only legal, I believe it's actively promoted by the government.

American laws must be radically different.

Terry

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #2358 on: May 09, 2017, 03:09:49 PM »
Meanwhile,

Measles is coming back, due to declining vaccination rates. In the USA a British disgraced doctor is peddling the MRI vaccine / Autism connection. He was struck off in 1998 in the UK. Apparently Trump is inclined to believe this con-man.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/measles-outbreak-minnesota-caused-vaccine-skeptics-n756246
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39419976

So far the Trump legacy could be described as:-

How to reduce life expectancy and increase infant mortality?

Repeal Obamacare and reduce vaccination coverage of infants.
Make it OK to pollute the air, the groundwater and the soil.
Increase CO2 concentrations to the point food supply is compromised.

To me, it sort of makes Russiagate and just about everything else seem trivial.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: May 09, 2017, 05:16:45 PM »
A recent survey by Penn Schoen Berland reported that 11 percent of adults self-identified as Trump Regretters.

http://www.playboy.com/articles/life-in-a-purple-state?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Keywee&utm_content=non-bunnies&kwp_0=365761&kwp_4=1473892&kwp_1=644366

I was only reading "that" (Playboy) because of the articles...... ;)

Martin Gisser

« Reply #2360 on: May 09, 2017, 07:06:58 PM »
“This devoted band called itself the Eldorado Exploring Expedition, and I believe they were sworn to secrecy. Their talk, however, was the talk of sordid buccaneers: it was reckless without hardihood, greedy without audacity, and cruel without courage; there was not an atom of foresight or of serious intention in the whole batch of them, and they did not seem aware these things are wanted for the work of the world. To tear treasure out of the bowels of the land was their desire, with no more moral purpose at the back of it than there is in burglars breaking into a safe. Who paid the expenses of the noble enterprise I don’t know; but the uncle of our manager was leader of that lot.
-- Joseph Conrad: Heart of Darkness

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: May 09, 2017, 08:00:35 PM »
At the Hanford Nuclear Site in Washington state.....there was a collapse of a tunnel.

Fortunately.....Donald Trump was wise enough to have Rick Perry as his Secretary of Energy....and with Rick's 2.2 GPA in Animal Science, he is obviously well qualified to tackle the issue and he will get right on it. ;)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/05/09/tunnel-collapses-at-hanford-nuclear-waste-site-in-washington-state-reports-say/?tid=sm_fb&utm_term=.88a2c7d78fe5

This is what happens when you have an INEPT UNQUALIFIED LEADER like Donnie.  He hires other unqualified leaders like Ricky. ;)

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: May 09, 2017, 08:46:58 PM »
This is what a TRAVESTY looks like.....

http://resistancereport.com/world/ivanka-trump-climate-scientist/

It is also what a fraud looks like...... The word "embarrassing" doesn't do this justice.

solartim27

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #2363 on: May 09, 2017, 09:49:46 PM »
This is what happens when you have an INEPT UNQUALIFIED LEADER like Donnie.  He hires other unqualified leaders like Ricky. ;)
Much as I hate to say it, you can hardly hold drumpf accountable for a problem decades in the making.
FNORD

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: May 09, 2017, 09:53:10 PM »
Much as I hate to say it, you can hardly hold drumpf accountable for a problem decades in the making.

Having a 36 year old bimbo who knows nothing about climate change leading the US contingent IS NOT DECADES IN THE MAKING.  IT IS ABOUT 108 DAYS IN THE MAKING.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: May 11, 2017, 07:51:34 PM »
The linked article is entitled: "The Tangled Story Behind Trump’s False Claims Of Voter Fraud".  It is my opinion that Trump's claims of voter fraud is a bald faced attempt at future voter suppression:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trump-noncitizen-voters/

― Leon C. Megginson

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #2366 on: May 11, 2017, 09:57:33 PM »
Well, here's another cringeworthy and horrifying "interview."

The latest Trump interview once again reveals appalling ignorance and dishonesty
He has no idea what he’s talking about.

As America continues to ponder whether President Donald Trump is obstructing justice by firing his FBI director in order to stymie an ongoing inquiry into his team’s various bizarre links to the Russian government, the Economist delivered an interview with the chief executive that reminds us of the original and most basic horror of the Trump administration: The president of the United States has no idea what he’s talking about.

And while Trump’s own answers are so bizarre and meandering that it seems overwhelmingly likely he is speaking nonsense out of ignorance rather than rank dishonesty, the performance of Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin as his squire in the interview is disturbing on an entirely different level. Much as Trump has turned the political appointees at the Justice Department into facilitators of his lies about Jim Comey, Mnuchin acts as an enabler rather than a provider of adult supervision.

Trump, ignorant, will say something stupid. Then Mnuchin, better-informed, will back him up by saying something blatantly false. The good news, such as it is, is that in Trump’s own telling, the president can be easily manipulated by foreign governments who dupe him into avoiding rash actions.

Trump makes tons of random false claims

The sheer volume of things that Trump says over the course of the interview is mind-boggling, and practically beyond counting. At times he appears to be willfully lying in pursuit of some political agenda, or at least repeating a half-remembered partisan talking point. But he also asserts that nobody had heard of Mike Pence before he was chosen to be Trump’s running mate, when Pence has in fact been well-known in American political circles for years. ...
https://www.vox.com/2017/5/11/15622900/trump-economist-interview
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: May 11, 2017, 11:53:12 PM »
SigM

Your linked article mirrors my own understanding of the Trumpster. I don't necessarily see him as an inherently evil person, a term I do use to describe the Bushes, Reagan or Nixon, but rather as a very uninformed person, possibly dealing with age related problems.

Trump is my age, and I've slowed down a lot. No dementia, no senility, just the effects of 70+ years of wear and tear on fragile neurons. Anyone in their seventies that thinks he's as good as he was in his 40's or 50's, has real problems.

Fortunately most of us are now pretty well out of the loop. Some appreciate our input, but allowance is made for our age.

Trump unfortunately gained the presidency in an age when microphones and cameras are ubiquitous. While Nancy could whisper in Ronnie's ear unobtrusively, Donald, not realizing that a problem exists, wanders alone through the undrained swamps.

We need to limit Trump to a single term, and we need to minimize the damage he does while he is in power. The man obviously has a giant ego. Perhaps anyone who runs for the presidency is a bit of an egotist. Trump is also burdened with an unhealthy dose of narcissism.

I think he's easily manipulated, but I'm not convinced that attacking his ego and forcing him to view unflattering images of himself will offer us the influence we so desperately need.
He didn't pull the funding of the EPA, and he didn't get any cheers from our side.
He's been castigated for playing nice with Putin, by our side.
The only plaudits we've given were when he executed the most dangerous moves he's made by bombing Syria and Afghanistan. Is this really the course we want to encourage?

Comey was/is one of my least favorite players in this game, and I'm relieved that he's gone. I've written about a similar incident in Canada, where the head of the RCMP interfered with an election, and was subsequently fired. I've asked what kind of connections he had that had precluded his being let go, until now.

If we simply attack Trump whenever he does anything other than taking a belligerent stance toward Russia or China we will influence his actions, but are these the actions we really want to encourage?
Why not have scientists marching on Washington, in appreciation for standing against the Republicans and not cutting their funding?
Why not marches against using the most powerful weapon in our conventional arsenal?
Why not cheers for sending Comey back to Yonkers?

If we're not encouraging the actions we want, who's side are we on, and what actions do they want?

Terry

Martin Gisser

« Reply #2368 on: May 12, 2017, 01:06:37 AM »
I don't necessarily see him as an inherently evil person, a term I do use to describe the Bushes, Reagan or Nixon, but rather as a very uninformed person, possibly dealing with age related problems.

Trump is my age, and I've slowed down a lot. No dementia, no senility, just the effects of 70+ years of wear and tear on fragile neurons. Anyone in their seventies that thinks he's as good as he was in his 40's or 50's, has real problems.
Sorry, you are a Trump apologist. Plain and simple. It's not your aged neurons. It is your ego. Or perhaps trauma. Deep in the back of your mind you either like and admire Trump or you can't accept the reality that he exists and is a grotesque embarrassment of that "great nation" U.S.A. (I tend to the latter explanation.) I don't want to compare you with the old pals of my grandpa I studied when I was younger (German SS footmen and naive Nazi party members, not seriously evil) but since then I know obsessive apologists when I see them.

As long as you don't have a physical (incl. hormonal etc.) problem with your brain, you can keep it fresh until 100. The wear and tear comes from the conflicts of inner world and outer world, plus lack of work out. - Well, I'm just 50, but I have some evidence that my brain currently works better than at 25 in formal maths and language skills. My favorite elder superbrain Leopold Vietoris got 110y and wrote his last math paper at 104.

When Trump acts stupid (like, every day) it seems it is because he doesn't care one bit. All he cares about is his ego. Look at where he lives, all the grotesque gold and kitsch, and you see what's on his mind.

Here is an interseting interview with someone who studied folks like Trump:
http://m.democracynow.org/stories/17365
AMY GOODMAN: Can you talk about the ways you see this trend of authoritarianism being expressed by Trump? I mean, he’s only been in office now for a few months.

RUTH BEN-GHIAT: Sure. Well, you know, during the campaign, he started with a very important point, which was forging these bonds with the public that were based on loyalty to him. And it’s come up repeatedly that he felt Comey wasn’t loyal to him. And loyalty is the most important thing, because authoritarians forge bonds that are based on their person and not allegiance to a party or a principle. Trump doesn’t care too much about the GOP. It got him to power, it gave him the nomination, but it’s just a vehicle for him. So, that’s part of it.

The other thing is, a senior—a former senior intelligence official said that the Comey—the way that he fired Comey was "like an execution," in quotes. And, you know, the method, and he did it—Trump is a—he’s a proponent of the doctrine of surprise. And this was a kind of threat to the FBI, to the American public, which is consistent with the kind of dangerous persona he has had. And I want to remind everyone that in January 2016, when he was on the campaign trail, he said, "I could stand on 5th Avenue and shoot someone and wouldn’t lose any followers." This was, for me, a turning point. It meant that he was giving us a message that he considered himself to be above the law. And he was testing the GOP, which is what authoritarians do. They test, on their way up and once they’re in power, to see how much they can get away with. And the GOP rewarded him with the nomination. So he feels emboldened, now he’s in power, to do exactly this kind of thing.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: May 12, 2017, 02:40:31 AM »
Martin
I've never been much of a fan of the US of A, and I hope I didn't leave the impression that I support Trump in any way. He's an ignorant egotistical narcissist. The distinction I was attempting to draw between him and the Bushes etc. is that I believe they draw enjoyment from the suffering of others, while I believe Trump is totally indifferent to the plight or delight of others - except as it relates to him personally.

I find nothing in your link to disagree with, he's an ass.

Intellectually I peaked somewhere in my mid 50's, and I see this with many of my peers. The Flynn effect (no relation) is controversial at best, but as I understand it psychometric studies show a slow decline through mid to old age. I'll never see mid age again.

Terry

Martin Gisser

« Reply #2370 on: May 12, 2017, 03:38:49 AM »
Terry,
I feel a bit embarrassed for what I wrote and almost want to apologize :) But then: Trump less actively evil than Reagan or GWB? They had at least some sense of humor and could even show compassion.  Hmm, whatever.

One thing I heard and is perhaps true is that aging brains get a bit slower. Hmmm... Trump's problem seems he's acting too quick and has no idea that thought takes time.

Martin

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: May 12, 2017, 04:18:01 AM »
No apology needed or expected. I enjoy the back and forth.

Slowing down is perhaps what I'm experiencing. There was a time when I welcomed the rapid fire give and take of public debate, now I prefer taking the time to sit down and consider my response. When I'm "on", I think I'm as good as I ever was. But I'm "on" much less often.

The last time I gave a public presentation was in 2012, it went well, but now I satisfy myself by heckling from the peanut gallery. ;>}

Terry

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: May 12, 2017, 01:21:05 PM »
Why?  Because the money is needed for his tax cuts for the 1%?  >:(

President Trump Denies Disaster Declaration Request for Northeast PA Counties Hit Hard in March Storm
https://www.governor.pa.gov/president-trump-denies-disaster-declaration-request-for-northeast-pa-counties-hit-hard-march-storm/

North Carolina denied 99 percent of federal recovery funds for Hurricane Matthew
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/north-carolina-denied-99-percent-federal-recovery-funds-hurricane-matthew/

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: May 12, 2017, 03:23:09 PM »
Donnie is now threatening to stop press briefings.  This raises some "serious" issues:

1)  What will happen to Saturday Night Live?  Where will Melissa McCarthy find work?

2)  What will other comedians do without making fun of Spicey?

3) Will Alec Baldwin ask for a raise now that he is not only the center of the Trump Universe....he is now THEE TRUMP UNIVERSE?

These are serious questions that demand serious thought..... ;)

OK.....on a MORE SERIOUS NOTE.  This is NOT surprising.  Keep in mind we are witnessing in real time the unwinding of a delusional person....who just happens to be in charge of the most powerful country in the world. FRIGHTENING when I put it that way isn't it?  And yes....this is getting more and more dangerous.

To think that he was VOTED INTO OFFICE....is quite amazing to me still.  Gobsmacking really.

And to think that we have to wait till the REPUBLICANS's in the senate and Congress "get it"....is also amazing to me.   HOW MUCH MORE DO THEY HAVE TO SEE?  When they see the "men in white coats" come to take Donnie away....THEN WILL THEY GET IT?

But keep in mind this is part of the "psychology" of how this plays out.  Humans change VERY SLOWLY OVER TIME.

Note....it is NOT surprising to me....because if you look back at the video clips of Nixon and Watergate THE SAME THING PLAYED OUT....but it is  STILL AMAZING TO ME how slowly people realize the truth sometimes.

When are Mitch and Paul (McConnell and Ryan) going to start seriously talking about what the hell to do with the psycho at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW?

The longer he stays in office....the worse it will be for Republicans.  They are getting more and more "tainted" every day. 

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2374 on: May 12, 2017, 05:58:00 PM »
With Trump going full Nixon this week, and especially Friday during an AM tweetstorm whilst on the commode, it is difficult (but not impossible) to believe that even the most traitorous Republican, Mitch McConnell, will continue to enable Trump by blocking action WRT investigations or appointment of a special prosecutor.  Republicans would be wise to consider invoking 25th Amendment procedures to avoid what appears to be an inevitable progression towards impeachment processes.  What's especially problematic is that Trump fancies himself exempt from the law and above any sembalance of norms and traditions, along with being an increasingly isolated and cornered rat.  Not a good combination at all.

magnamentis

« Reply #2375 on: May 12, 2017, 06:48:06 PM »
With Trump going full Nixon this week, and especially Friday during an AM tweetstorm whilst on the commode, it is difficult (but not impossible) to believe that even the most traitorous Republican, Mitch McConnell, will continue to enable Trump by blocking action WRT investigations or appointment of a special prosecutor.  Republicans would be wise to consider invoking 25th Amendment procedures to avoid what appears to be an inevitable progression towards impeachment processes.  What's especially problematic is that Trump fancies himself exempt from the law and above any sembalance of norms and traditions, along with being an increasingly isolated and cornered rat.  Not a good combination at all.

+1 it's even showing in his face, that man cornered himself already and all that non-sense is sheer desperation paired with all the other attributes that don't have to be repeated. the only thing that really bothers and will not go aways once he has been expelled, is the huge amount of people in that country who elected bushes and him, learning curve apparently zero and that is troubling considering the tasks at hand and the military power of that country.

on the other hand it's not just that, people of this world sink more and more into quicksand because of them being ill motivated for what they do and having lost the skill to be happy with what is there and instead are jumping from one meaningless distraction to the next.

after all this is what makes democracy a dangerous thing, i mean a bad king can/could be replaced by a better king, died or was killed, while nowadays the public (demo) is ruling (cracy) and the majority is definitely thinking and behaving sub-par.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 12:20:42 AM by magnamentis »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: May 12, 2017, 10:05:51 PM »
This opinion piece from Fox News suggests that if DT wanted to step down from the presidency... that would be OK.  A shocking perspective to hear from Fox.

Does Donald Trump want to be president?
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/05/12/does-donald-trump-want-to-be-president.html

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2377 on: May 13, 2017, 02:18:35 AM »
I can absolutely see him quitting. Just another biz deal gone bad, walk away. Or he might just get bored.

sidd

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #2378 on: May 13, 2017, 02:33:43 AM »
Donnie is now threatening to stop press briefings.  This raises some "serious" issues:
. . .

And to think that we have to wait till the REPUBLICANS's in the senate and Congress "get it"....is also amazing to me.   HOW MUCH MORE DO THEY HAVE TO SEE?  When they see the "men in white coats" come to take Donnie away....THEN WILL THEY GET IT?
They'll "get it" when they decide that allowing Agent Orange to stay in the White House does more harm to their re-election bids than removing him.  When that point is reached, the exit may be quite quick and sudden--unless Orange clings to power.  He probably would cling for dear life, unless a deal is crafted where he gets a pardon in exchange for a no-fuss resignation.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #2379 on: May 13, 2017, 06:19:02 AM »
Steve:

I'm sure President Pence would grant him a pardon!

BudM

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: May 13, 2017, 03:25:50 PM »
DON'T GET COCKY.  We are FAR FROM OUT OF THE WOODS.  There are a LOT of SCUM....specifically REPUBLICAN SCUM that will back Trump.

We need an INDEPENDENT FBI DIRECTOR....of which Cornyn of Texas would NOT BE INDEPENDENT.  He is in Donnie's pocket.

The next week....and the next month....WILL BE WILD AND DANGEROUS.

I expect more firings in the coming week(s)....and anything can happen.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: May 13, 2017, 04:40:09 PM »
We need an INDEPENDENT FBI DIRECTOR....of which Cornyn of Texas would NOT BE INDEPENDENT.  He is in Donnie's pocket.

The linked Palmer Report article reinforces your point:

"We cannot let Donald Trump nominate John Cornyn as FBI Director, and not for the reason you think"

https://www.palmerreport.com/opinion/we-cannot-let-donald-trump-nominate-john-cornyn-as-fbi-director-and-not-for-the-reason-you-think/2794/
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: May 13, 2017, 04:55:23 PM »
Here is John Cornyn in the Sally Yates testimony earlier in the week.  Yes....Sally Yates dunked him.:

I don't know what they are putting in the water in Texas....but there are BUNCH of crooks in Texas led by Cornyn, Ted Cruz, Joe Barton, and a long list of them.  I call them my "Terrible Texas Ten" (there are actually more than that).

CORNYN IS HORRIBLE....

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: May 13, 2017, 09:06:56 PM »
Just another in a long line of firings/retirings that are going to happen in coming days, weeks, and months.

http://time.com/4774288/census-bureau-john-thompson-resigned/

This is going to get very ugly...and very brutal.

mati

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
and so it goes

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
« Reply #2385 on: May 14, 2017, 08:42:38 AM »
Trump is doing his brand thing. You cannot understand Trump unless you look at what he has been selling.

His name.

The Trump brand is hugely more valuable today than, say, before he was elected. His face is recognized by approximately half the population of the world right now, much more than when he was a new york grifter. The world is lining up to put up Trump towers.

He don't care. He can quit tommorrow and his brand will endure into billions more.

All he wants to do is make sure that every camera in the world is pointed squarely at him.

And like most ex USA presidents, he will get paid hugely. He is crass enuf to admit it ... as opposed to say, Obama.

I posted the rollingstone article by Taibbi earlier.

"We always assumed there was a goal behind it all: cattle cars, race war, autocracy. But those were last century's versions of tyranny. It would make perfect sense if modern America's contribution to the genre were far dumber. Trump in the White House may just be a monkey clutching history's biggest hand grenade. Yes, he's always one step ahead of us, and more dangerous than any smart person, and we can never for a minute take our eyes off him.

But while we keep looking for his hidden agenda, it's our growing addiction to the spectacle of his car-wreck presidency that is the real threat. He is already making idiots and accomplices of us all, bringing out the worst in each of us, making us dumber just by watching"

read all about it, long but worth reading, Taibbi is a keen observer:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/taibbi-on-trump-the-destroyer-w473144

sidd

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: May 14, 2017, 11:38:19 AM »

sidd
Re. your link.

A good, if wordy summary of The Beginning of the End. Which end is still far from clear. Are we seeing The End of Trump's Presidency, the End of the Loyal Opposition's chance of bringing down The Donald, or the End of Democracy as we've come to know it.
Since the article was penned the Democrats have ceased trying to restrain the Ring Master and are now going for the jugular. Impeach the Traitor Because Putin Put Him In Office seems the only cry still resounding through the Hallowed Halls.

He did not fire Flynn (not soon enough), because of his Russian Connections.
He did fire Comey (too soon), because he would have exposed Russian Connections.
We want a special prosecutor to pursue the Russian Connections - oh - BUT stay away from the DNC & Hillary.

If Putin actually didn't conspire with Trump's camp - Recall that The Russians as well as The Good Guys do have everything on tape & a doctored tape will jump out like a well browned slice of toast from a glowing toaster. If Trump told the truth the Democrats will be cooked and any further investigations they attempt will be toast. All the eggs are now in one basket & if the Dems drop it, or if there is no it there, we will be stuck in the penalty box while Trump's game still whirls around us.

Some say Trump must have done it, others say there is no evidence.
And it's not always a party split, with crossovers going both ways.

I think The Truth Will Out. The Democrats can't fake evidence because the Russians can prove the truth. On the other hand, if the truth is that Putin and a Trump associate did collude to wreck the election, the Russian's can't fiddle with the evidence because the NSA can call them out.

A similar situation occurred when Russia was accused of shooting down a passenger jet. Both sides had and have irrefutable proof of what happened. Neither side has offered these proofs of Russia's innocence or culpability - in part because the EU placed sanctions before proof was offered, and in part because the sanctions allowed Putin to order counter sanctions that have helped his country weather this storm. Both sides stick to their stories, neither side offers the overwhelming proof of guilt or innocence that they both possess.

In the present situation relying on easily swayed public perception isn't an option. Proof, not innuendo will save or skewer the President. If either side offers false tapes or bugs, the other side will respond with the undoctored originals. Truth, I believe will out.

Sorry for the bolding - won't use it again.
Terry

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: May 15, 2017, 02:33:49 AM »
The linked article is entitled: "James Clapper: Our Institutions ‘Are Under Assault’ Both Externally and Internally"; & it indicates that Trump is assaulting US institutions like the FBI.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/james-clapper-our-institutions-are-under-assault-both-externally-internally-n759311

Extract: "Former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper says the United States' political institutions are currently "under assault" both externally and internally, in the wake of President Donald Trump's firing of ex-FBI Director James Comey.

"The developments of the past week are very bothersome, very disturbing to me," Clapper said on CNN's "State of the Union" on Sunday.

"I think in many ways our institutions are under assault, both externally — and that's the big news here, the Russian interference in our election system — and I think as well, our institutions are under assault internally.""
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: May 15, 2017, 03:31:56 AM »
The linked article is entitled: “China's new world order: Xi, Putin and others meet for Belt and Road Forum”, & it indicates that Trump's administration has created a global vacuum of leadership that China & Russia are taking advantage of:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/13/asia/china-belt-and-road-forum-xi-putin-erdogan/index.html

Extract: “China's leaders are ringing in what they hope is a new world order at a major international conference in Beijing Sunday.

The Belt and Road Forum is China's answer to Davos or the G20, centered around the colossal One Belt, One Road (OBOR) trade initiative, which takes its inspiration from the ancient Silk Road trading route.

Prior to Donald Trump's election as US President, it could be expected that Washington's Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) -- a free-trade alliance of 12 Asian and Pacific economies -- would act as something of a counterbalance to rising Chinese power.

Trump however, pulled the US out of the deal a day after taking office. While it still includes Australia and Japan, both major economies, without Washington's backing the TPP will be far smaller if it manages to nevertheless go ahead.”
― Leon C. Megginson

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: May 15, 2017, 06:19:43 AM »
Thank heaven that the TPP is dead!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2014/04/23/why-almost-everyone-hates-the-trade-deal-obamas-negotiating-in-japan/?utm_term=.3db33d6c87f6

It rests with the TTIP, in a small section reserved for failed trade policies pushed by big business and big polluters that died under the continuous onslaught of environmentalists and trade unions.

Both trade schemes were beloved by the multinationals that so secretively spawned them, but despised by the workers, environmentalists and progressives that collectively brought about their demise.

Terry
P.S.
Australia??

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: May 15, 2017, 06:35:46 PM »
The linked op-ed piece entitled: "Revolution 4.0 challenges Asian countries seeking inclusive growth", indicates that to prepare for the coming 4th Industrial Revolution (Revolution 4.0) Asian countries will likely invest heavily in technical education (now), while Trump, and is populist ilk, spend their resources on defense actions and retreats to the past.

http://www.elevenmyanmar.com/opinion/9427

Extract: "The solution to the negative impact of Revolution 4.0 on countries’ path to inclusive growth is none other than increasing investment in human resource development. Particularly, inequality in opportunities to access education, usually between rural and urban areas in developing countries, needs to be addressed.

In order for the next generations to be fully and equally prepared for the technological revolution, increased education spending is an essential condition."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: May 15, 2017, 07:07:32 PM »
The linked article is entitled: "Protesters Chant ‘Russia Is Our Friend’ During Pro-Confederate Statue Rally”; & indicates that many of Trump's populist supporters are both Pro-Confederacy and approve of Russia's interference in the 2016 US election in order to get Trump elected.

http://lawnewz.com/crazy/protesters-chant-russia-is-our-friend-during-pro-confederate-statue-rally-watch/

Extract: "At some point, they even started chanting “Russia is our friend.”

The chant apparently evokes the recent controversy over the claim by US intelligence officials that Russia helped get President Donald Trump elected."
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: May 15, 2017, 08:41:39 PM »
I expect Trump to continue to TRY AND STUFF CORNYN DOWN THE THROAT for director of the FBI.

Donnie HAS TO HAVE SOMEONE LOYAL TO HIM.....not the country.....in order for Donnie to stop the FBI investigation.....an investigation that will show Donnie to be guilty of SEVERAL CRIMES.

Donnie has Sessions in "his wallet"....but he still needs someone heading the FBI in his wallet.  And he will do ANYTHING TO OBTAIN THAT.

The last thing that Donnie wants is someone with ethics heading the FBI.   Donnie is NOT big on ethics.... ;)

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: May 16, 2017, 01:04:26 AM »
The linked article is entitled: "Report: President Trump told classified info to Russian officials", it is difficult to believe that Trump is this stupid, but for me it is easy to believe that he is a traitor.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/05/15/trump-told-classified-info-to-russian-officials/101726824/

Extract: "President Trump told "highly classified information" to the Russian foreign minister and ambassador during a meeting at the White House last week, according to a new report."

Edit: The second linked article is more damning than the first, and to me, make it look like Trump is trading with the Russians in order to try to make an arrangement that would make him look like a heroic peacemaker in the Middle East:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/trump-highly-classified-information-russians?utm_term=.kc3vM7kPW#.ha61RoYLX

Extract: "Two US officials who were briefed on Trump’s disclosures last week confirmed to BuzzFeed News the veracity of the Washington Post report, with one noting that “it’s far worse than what has already been reported.”
Following last week's meeting, the White House said that Trump talked to the Russians about ending the conflict in Syria and reigning in the Assad regime there, as well as about controlling Iran. The White House also said Ukraine and the Middle East came up at the meeting."

Edit 2: The third linked article makes is clear that nothing that McMaster has said contradicts the original MSM story:

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/report-president-trump-revealed-classified-information-russia-n759846

Extract: "McMaster "hasn't said anything that really contradicts the story," John McLaughlin, who was acting director of central intelligence during the administration of former President George W. Bush. told NBC News on Monday night. "He just says sources and methods weren't revealed."

While "you can leave out sources and methods, and depending on how you pass information, you can tip another intelligence service to the source or method by virtue of revealing that you know something that could only be known by a limited circle of people," McLaughlin said."

Edit 3: To be clear, when I talk about Trump's apparently treasonous behavior, I mean his behavior is exposing our intelligence operatives to reprisal from ISIS (who we are actively fighting).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 05:20:38 AM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: May 16, 2017, 03:30:45 PM »
 Robert Reich: This Is How the Trump Presidency Ends
... Seeking to silence, intimidate or even influence someone who is likely to offer evidence in a congressional or criminal proceeding is also an obstruction of justice – and an impeachable offense.

As a practical matter, though, nothing will happen until a majority of the House decides on bringing a bill of impeachment. Which means, under the present congress, twenty-two Republicans would have to join with House Democrats to put enough pressure on the Speaker of the House to allow such a bill to be considered.

The odds of this occurring in this Congress, under present circumstances, are approximately zero.

So – barring a “smoking gun” that shows Trump’s complicity with Russian operatives in interfering in the 2016 election – Trump’s fate seems to hinge on the midterm elections of 2018.

Those elections are less than eighteen months away. That’s a long time in American politics. Under a Trump presidency, that’s an eternity.

But there’s another possibility.

In my experience, most elected politicians have two goals – to do what they consider to be the right things for the American public, and to be reelected (not necessarily in that order).

If Trump’s poll numbers continue to plummet – particularly among Republicans and Independents – twenty-two House Republicans may well decide their chances for being reelected are better if they abandon him before the 2018 midterms.

Paul Ryan and the House Republican leadership might make a similar calculation, at least enough to put a bill of impeachment on the table.

Most House Republicans prefer Vice President Mike Pence to Donald Trump anyway. As one said to me several months ago, “Pence is a predictable conservative. Trump is an unpredictable egomaniac. Most of us are more comfortable with the former.”
http://www.newsweek.com/robert-reich-how-trump-presidency-ends-609268

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: May 16, 2017, 03:44:14 PM »
If Trump’s poll numbers continue to plummet – particularly among Republicans and Independents – twenty-two House Republicans may well decide their chances for being reelected are better if they abandon him before the 2018 midterms.

ABSOLUTELY.  And I expect those to continue to "slide" until he is gone.  Again...it is a PROCESS....and it doesn't happen all at once.

The lower his poll numbers drop....the more politicians will jump ship.  The trouble with many of the Republicans....is that they are ALREADY SO TAINTED, it won't wash off by jumping off the ship.  Many of them are still screwed.

There is so much "ammo" via video clips of Republican politicians saying STUPID STUFF THAT SUPPORTS TRUMP......that they won't be able to get away from it.

There are STILL surprises yet to be discovered....as to just HOW BAD RussiaGate was/is....

I wonder when my neighbor is going to remove his "Trump memorabilia" from his Facebook page ;)

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: May 16, 2017, 08:54:21 PM »
Spicey may be gone?  Oh no.....  :'(

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/333640-fox-news-host-in-talks-to-replace-sean-spicer

It does make a lot of sense however.  She is used to lying for FOX News....so she will fit right in lying for Donnie.  Pretty seamless.......and shameless. ;)

May as well get the next one lined up as well.  The shelf life of someone lying for Donnie is likely to be about 4 months before they lose ALL CREDIBILITY.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: May 16, 2017, 11:42:57 PM »
Per the linked Palmer Report op/ed piece, Trump likely just pissed off Israel, by giving their intelligence to Russia:

http://www.palmerreport.com/opinion/wounded-trump-israel/2875/
― Leon C. Megginson

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2398 on: May 17, 2017, 12:07:30 AM »
Trump is finished.  Obstruction of justice.  Now not if, but when. 

And this is before the treasonous behavior of sharing Intel with Russia, or the coming RICO charges.

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60