Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Trump  (Read 1485019 times)

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: The Trump Presidency (was "Presidential Poll")
« Reply #2450 on: May 29, 2017, 09:04:10 PM »
Paul Krugman's op/ed piece entitled: “Trump’s Energy, Low and Dirty”, indicates that we are all playing Russian roulette (w.r.t. climate change) by allowing Trump to remain in office (i.e. without the House starting impeachment proceedings):

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/29/opinion/trump-g-7-summit-energy.html?rref=collection%2Fcolumn%2Fpaul-krugman&action=click&contentCollection=opinion&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=collection&_r=1

Extract: “So am I suggesting that the world’s most powerful leader might put the whole planet’s future at risk so that he can keep telling politically convenient lies, which will soon be exposed in any case? Yes. If you find this implausible, you must not have been reading the news the past few months.

Now, maybe Trump won’t really pull the plug on Paris; or maybe he’ll be gone from the scene before the damage is irreversible. But there’s a real possibility that last week was a pivotal moment in human history, the moment when an irresponsible leader sent the whole world careening off to hell in a golf cart.”

See also:

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/paul-krugman-donald-trump-might-have-just-doomed-human-civilization-once-and-all

&

http://www.alternet.org/

I'm sure that President Pence will do a much better job WRT climate change. [/sarc]

Terry

magnamentis

« Reply #2451 on: May 30, 2017, 02:19:51 AM »
Paul Krugman's op/ed piece entitled: “Trump’s Energy, Low and Dirty”, indicates that we are all playing Russian roulette (w.r.t. climate change) by allowing Trump to remain in office (i.e. without the House starting impeachment proceedings):

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/29/opinion/trump-g-7-summit-energy.html?rref=collection%2Fcolumn%2Fpaul-krugman&action=click&contentCollection=opinion&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=collection&_r=1

Extract: “So am I suggesting that the world’s most powerful leader might put the whole planet’s future at risk so that he can keep telling politically convenient lies, which will soon be exposed in any case? Yes. If you find this implausible, you must not have been reading the news the past few months.

Now, maybe Trump won’t really pull the plug on Paris; or maybe he’ll be gone from the scene before the damage is irreversible. But there’s a real possibility that last week was a pivotal moment in human history, the moment when an irresponsible leader sent the whole world careening off to hell in a golf cart.”

See also:

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/paul-krugman-donald-trump-might-have-just-doomed-human-civilization-once-and-all

&

http://www.alternet.org/

I'm sure that President Pence will do a much better job WRT climate change. [/sarc]

Terry

while i agree i think ANY ONE would do better than that guy, mainly because of D's obvious intellectual deficit as well as the over obvious mental illness.

i can't believe how hard it is to digest this situation for me, i'm neither U.S. citizen nor do i have the tendency to loos much time and energy because of foolish people but this guy in this position obviously hit one of the nerves i was unaware before, only GWB came close and indeed the entire world is still suffering from what Dick C's marionette and his fellows pulled off.

sorry to vent a bit here but i do it because all that you post here comes close to my own points of few, just needed an open ear LOL

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #2452 on: May 30, 2017, 04:44:25 AM »
I hope you folks saw how Macron handled Putin in France.  Looks like the new leadership in Democracy is coming from Germany and France.  That is what happens in a vacuum....someone fills it, and Germany and France are there to do so.

Macron......speaking with Putin right next to him....Macron called out the propaganda that Russia tries to sell as journalism.  He just as well could have been talking about FOX.

By the way.....there was an ex FOX pundit that called out FOX News for what the are:  A FRAUD.  Anyone that has watched much FOX at all understands that.

There may be more than just Sean that gets caught up in the RussiaGate mess from FOX.  History in the making....
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

meljay14

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2453 on: May 30, 2017, 05:43:57 AM »
Anybody want to start a quick poll on whether we think Trump really will ditch the Paris agreement?

I'd vote "Yes" at this point.

His main motivation: "You didn't make me feel welcome in your stupid G7 club, so let's see how you like it if I take my country out of your stupid club."

Mel

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: May 30, 2017, 05:47:20 AM »
I don't think this is Donnies call.  Vladimir has already told him how to vote.  nyet.....

meljay14

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: May 30, 2017, 06:03:07 AM »
You mean nyet to quitting the agreement, Buddy?

Mel

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #2456 on: May 30, 2017, 10:30:11 AM »
You mean nyet to quitting the agreement, Buddy?

Mel

I imagine that Buddy means that Putin has already told Trump to vote no to staying in the Paris agreement.
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: May 30, 2017, 01:05:19 PM »
Communications director Mike Dubke is leaving the Trump administration.  Looks like the book writing can now begin.😳  This is not good for Donnie....

meljay14

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: May 30, 2017, 02:00:51 PM »
Thanks, Abrupt SLR, that's what I would have thought, but was a bit confused by your wording, Buddy. I'm going to wake up every morning wondering if his "decision" has been announced while I've been asleep (in Aust.)

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: May 31, 2017, 12:55:02 AM »
he linked article entitled: "Why Mike Dubke matters. A lot."; makes the case that Trump is increasingly surrounding himself with yes-men; which should make the establishment GOP nervous for the coming mid-term elections:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/30/politics/dubke-trump-white-house/

Extract: "That's why Dubke's departure matters. It's a sign that Trump is, has been and always will be someone only comfortable with an "amen" choir around him.
And that is a realization likely to make establishment Republicans looking to defend their House and Senate majorities next November very, very nervous."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2460 on: May 31, 2017, 04:32:38 AM »
The linked article indicates that Trump has been playing the Republicans for fools:

“Kushner: Trump 'Knows Republicans Are Stupid'”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/kushner-trump-knows-republicans-are-stupid/ar-BBBH5Ve

Extract: “During a discussion on how to cover Trump, the former New York Observer editor, Elizabeth Spiers, claimed she told Kushner that she had serious problems with Trump’s repeated claims that Obama was not born in the U.S., to which Kushner allegedly told her: "He doesn't really believe it, Elizabeth. He just knows Republicans are stupid and they'll buy it."“
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: June 01, 2017, 05:05:20 PM »
Global warming (specifically Trump's policy on global warming) and RussiaGate continue their convergence.  Trump backing out of the Paris accord....even if not fully backing out...will not sit well with Independent voters.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: June 01, 2017, 05:31:13 PM »
Any thoughts on why Putin would want Trump to pull out of the Paris agreement so soon after Russia signed on?
IIRC Putin has been switching from old coal and oil electrical generation to modern gas facilities ever since he's been in power, and will have no problems in making his commitments. If Evil Putin was actually interested in "Weakening the West", wouldn't he want Trump to sign up & then struggle to meet his new commitments?

Oh what a tangled web.
Terry

Jim Pettit

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #2463 on: June 01, 2017, 10:43:51 PM »
Any thoughts on why Putin would want Trump to pull out of the Paris agreement so soon after Russia signed on?
IIRC Putin has been switching from old coal and oil electrical generation to modern gas facilities ever since he's been in power, and will have no problems in making his commitments. If Evil Putin was actually interested in "Weakening the West", wouldn't he want Trump to sign up & then struggle to meet his new commitments?

Oh what a tangled web.
Terry

Not that difficult to understand. Putin wants the West weakened. He wants it divided. And now that Trump--that most useful and idiotic of useful idiots--has withdrawn from the Paris agreement, there will indeed be further division in the West. Meanwhile, America's standing on the global stage will be diminished still further. And since America was the de facto leader of the Western Hemisphere up until about January 20, of course Putin wants to take out the biggest obstacle first.

SteveMDFP

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 592
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #2464 on: June 02, 2017, 12:20:51 AM »

Oh what a tangled web.
Terry

The US already signed on under Obama.  Trump can reverse that decision.  It's very much in Putin's interest for Trump to do so;

The Russian economy is profoundly dependent on fossil fuel exports.  Even if the Russian internal economy modernizes to reduce emissions, it's still dependent on exports financially.

Russia being in or out of the Paris agreement matters little, Paris would go forward with or without Russia.  Russia actually retains a seat at decision-making tables by staying in. 

But the US pulling out weakens the whole global arrangement, and strong US fossil fuel consumption helps keep global prices up, even if not one shipload goes directly from Russia to the US.

If Putin really has compromising evidence on Trump (a hard drive from the fired FBI director, a tape of Trump trysting with prostitutes, whatever), this is the sort of decision on which Putin would apply pressure.

Trump is under substantial domestic pressure to stay in (even from Exxon).  If Trump renounces Paris, I'd consider that an indication that Putin may really be pulling on puppet strings.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: June 02, 2017, 12:26:20 AM »

Oh what a tangled web.
Terry

Russia have relatively few negative impacts from sea level rise and they benefit economically from the loss of Arctic Sea Ice (both for improved navigation and more so from developing offshore Arctic oil & gas).

Edit: The attached image shows that only a small portion of Russia's population would be negatively impacted by a 5m rise in global sea level (say if WAIS were to collapse).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 12:33:03 AM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: June 02, 2017, 04:33:44 AM »
Four months into Donnies term....and still no head of NOAA, and no head of FEMA.  Thank GOD that hurricane season doesn't start until.......TODAY.   Of course....you know how this is going to end, don't you?  I sure hope a hurricane doesn't make landfall at Mar-a-Lago.🙄
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 02:39:31 PM by Buddy »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: June 02, 2017, 03:00:51 PM »
Sometimes.....what seems bad, is really good.  The rejection of the Paris accord is one of those instances.  When you were a kid... medicine didn't seem like a good thing....consider the rejection of the Paris climate accord a dose of medicine...and this is why:

1). It is going to speed up Donnies removal from office by its impact on polling

2). It is going to double the resolve of everyone to push the renewable revolution

3). It is going to continue to isolate those politicians on the denial side

The largest impact will be on how countries look at the US.  I expect Canada, Germany, France and other countries to be the big winners.  The big losers will be senators and representatives who support pulling out.

Too bad Donnie's dad didn't pull out early as well.😳

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #2468 on: June 02, 2017, 03:37:05 PM »
White House orders agencies to ignore Democrats’ oversight requests

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/02/federal-agencies-oversight-requests-democrats-white-house-239034

Extract:
The White House is telling federal agencies to blow off Democratic lawmakers' oversight requests, as Republicans fear the information could be weaponized against President Donald Trump.

At meetings with top officials for various government departments this spring, Uttam Dhillon, a White House lawyer, told agencies not to cooperate with such requests from Democrats, according to Republican sources inside and outside the administration.

So much for the little bit of check and balances left.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1336
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #2469 on: June 02, 2017, 09:33:21 PM »
Sometimes.....what seems bad, is really good.  The rejection of the Paris accord is one of those instances.  When you were a kid... medicine didn't seem like a good thing....consider the rejection of the Paris climate accord a dose of medicine...and this is why:

1). It is going to speed up Donnies removal from office by its impact on polling

2). It is going to double the resolve of everyone to push the renewable revolution

3). It is going to continue to isolate those politicians on the denial side

Exactly, Buddy!

He's not going to build the wall, he can't kill Obamacare, he's making huge weapon deals with the Saudis, his cabinet is filled with billionnaires and Goldman Sachs, there's the Russia-thing, and so on. He's f***ing up so bad, it's unbelievable.

If Trump can be tied like a stone around the neck of the GOP, this may actually prove to be much more lucrative - politically speaking - than Clinton becoming president. But I'm sure the Corporate Democrats will find some way to prevent that.  ;)
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

magnamentis

« Reply #2470 on: June 02, 2017, 10:21:31 PM »
perhaps we should depose of the guy placing him in the spot below, gorilla in the mist like, so he could further babble about "where is the global warming" but only until the ice under his tent would melt away, drowning the albino and his last words would be like: ahhh...... now i got it, help !!!!!!

ritter

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #2471 on: June 02, 2017, 10:22:18 PM »
But I'm sure the Corporate Democrats will find some way to prevent that.  ;)
Oh dear god, please no.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #2472 on: June 03, 2017, 06:21:22 AM »
But I'm sure the Corporate Democrats will find some way to prevent that.  ;)
Oh dear god, please no.

I'll second that emotion!

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: June 03, 2017, 04:57:00 PM »
This is a great way to deal with Trump's lies:

“France taunts US by editing White House video on climate deal”

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/03/politics/france-climate-video/

Extract: “This time, French officials remade a White House video by editing captions that explain why the Paris climate accord was a "bad deal" for the US.”
― Leon C. Megginson

Deeenngee

• New ice
    • View Profile
    • Baddadgags
« Reply #2474 on: June 04, 2017, 04:13:54 PM »
How do post-war US presidents compare in terms of their approval rating during their first term?http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/data/popularity.php has data.

Here's teh Donald compared with his predecessors. (For simplicity's sake I've taken the value from the first opinion poll of each month).
https://twitter.com/baddadgags

One liners, dad jokes, other jokes; all mine. Please follow for 2 to 3 moderately amusing instances of the above per week, guaranteed.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2475 on: June 04, 2017, 06:10:49 PM »
How do post-war US presidents compare in terms of their approval rating during their first term?http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/data/popularity.php has data.

Here's teh Donald compared with his predecessors. (For simplicity's sake I've taken the value from the first opinion poll of each month).
Can I respectfully ask just how you managed to nominate two such unlikable people as presidential candidates?
Is either party working to fix this problem, or are we to expect another race between two candidates with extremely high disapproval ratings 3 years from now?

edit]
Is it possible that nominating people that engender extremely negative feelings is seen as an accomplishment?
IIRC Abe Lincoln had terrible ratings pre election in half the country, then his election brought on the Civil  War. Is this the objective of both nomination committees?
The DNC had Sanders waiting in the wings, I don't know that he would have won. I am sure that he would have run a better race than Hillary, probably with better results.

Trump may have been the only one who could have carried the Republican flag to victory. He didn't have too much Republican baggage to carry & few wanted another Bush at the helm. Any Democrat might have carried the day by emulating McKinley and not leaving his or her front porch. Hillary, and the baggage she carried, may have been the only Democrat able to lose to Trump.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: June 05, 2017, 03:23:48 AM »
"Noam Chomsky on Trump: The Worst Is Yet to Come"

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/noam-chomsky-warns-we-havent-seen-worst-trumps-presidency

Extract: "Renowned linguist and author Noam Chomsky believes today's Republican Party is "more dangerous than ISIS," whether or not Trump voters will ever be willing to admit it."

Edit, See also:

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/psychoanalyzing-donald-trump
― Leon C. Megginson

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1159
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #2477 on: June 05, 2017, 03:15:45 PM »
538 looks at the statistics surrounding recent State elections in the U.S.

Democrats Are Overperforming In Special Elections Almost Everywhere
That bodes well for them in 2018.
But, overall, the trend is clear. Democratic special-election candidates have improved their margins over Republicans relative to their district’s partisan lean by an average of 14.4 percentage points. This pattern has popped up in districts from rural Minnesota to the suburbs of Atlanta to the Black Belt of Louisiana. In two instances (New Hampshire House District Carroll 6 and New York Assembly District 9), the shift was enough to flip the seat from red to blue. As Trump himself might say, “There’s something going on.”
But legislative special elections aren’t good only for predicting who will control the House of Representatives in two years. They’re also leading indicators of future gubernatorial and — get this — state legislative results. If nothing else, 2017’s legislative elections so far put Democrats on track to make big gains in statehouses across the country in 2018 — the sector of government where the party suffered the most during the Obama years. That’s important because the next round of redistricting is less than four years away, meaning 2018 will decide many of the governors and legislators who will draw the congressional districts of the 2020s. From the smallest of small elections on a random Tuesday in this odd year, clues are being dropped about who might hold the balance of power in Washington for the next decade or more.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/democrats-are-overperforming-in-special-elections-almost-everywhere/
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: June 05, 2017, 04:47:11 PM »
The linked Palmer Report article entitled: "Three Arab nations are on the verge of war with each other, and two of them own Donald Trump", shows how Trump's financial conflicts of interest hurt US foreign policy:

http://www.palmerreport.com/opinion/three-arab-own-trump/3319/

Extract: "So we already know which side of this conflict Donald Trump is going to have to side with: the one that’s floating him cash and allowing his golf course to finally prosper. Is Qatar really supporting ISIS, or is this just a convenient accusation that Saudi Arabia and UAE are using in the name of squeezing their own former ally, knowing that Trump isn’t in a financial position to intervene? This is why the President of the United States isn’t supposed to have foreign financial ties – particularly when that President is so deep in debt as to be a puppet of his foreign debtors."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: June 06, 2017, 02:43:50 AM »
The linked article is entitled: “Trump Has Brought European-Style Nationalism to the U.S.”; & it indicates that Trump's modus operandi does not match traditional US conservative style; so it will be interesting to see if the traditional GOP eventually throw Trump under the bus.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/444687/donald-trump-nationalism-should-worry-conservatives

― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: June 07, 2017, 01:41:35 AM »
More indications of Trump family corruption:

“Trump Foundation funneled $100K in donations into revenue for Trump Organization: report”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/trump-foundation-funneled-dollar100k-in-donations-into-revenue-for-trump-organization-report/ar-BBCaVP7

Extract: “President Trump's charity foundation funneled $100,000 in donations meant for St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital into revenue for the Trump Organization by using his son's charity, Forbes reported Tuesday.

For 10 years Eric Trump hosted an annual golf tournament which raised millions of dollars in donations for the hospital. According to the Forbes report, $100,000 of the donations was funneled through the Eric Trump Foundation back into Trump's golf courses for expenses incurred during the tournaments, despite donors being told that all their money would be used for charity.”
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: June 07, 2017, 05:32:37 AM »
You know that Donnie is having a bad day when FOX's Neil Cavuto is jumping off the Trump Train.🤡

Gee.....who is left?  Martha McCallum, Sean Hannity, Eric Bolling, Dana Perino, Stuart Varney, etc....etc.  Yea.....Donnie still has lots of friends at lying FOX News.  They have never been concerned with the truth....and they aren't about to start now.

Will Donnie pull the trigger and fire Mueller or pull a last minute change of heart on executive privilege on Comey's testimony?  I can almost FEEL Donnie wanting to lash out at someone.....ANYONE.  Will he accept Jeff Sessions resignation tomorrow afternoon and follow that up with another surprise?

We'll see how the testimony of others goes on Wednesday.  This is NOT going to be a very good week or two for Donnie.  And we still aren't into the meat and potato's of the investigation....

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: June 07, 2017, 05:24:55 PM »
The linked article indicates that Trump not only plans on withdrawing from the Paris Accord but also to hide data on US GHG emissions from the rest of the world:

"If Trump Gets His Way, the World May Not Know If U.S. Emissions Rise"

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-06-07/if-trump-gets-his-way-world-may-not-know-if-u-s-emissions-rise
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: June 07, 2017, 08:48:17 PM »
Trump reaches a new low (in approval ratings):

"Trump approval rating hits new low in Quinnipiac poll".

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/07/trump-approval-rating-quinnipiac-poll-239250

Extract: "President Donald Trump’s approval rating hit another low in Quinnipiac University’s poll, which found this week that 34 percent of voters approve of his job performance and 57 percent disapprove.

Trump’s previous low in the Quinnipiac survey was a 35 percent positive and 57 percent negative rating, registered on April 4."
― Leon C. Megginson

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #2484 on: June 07, 2017, 09:21:25 PM »
Do you think his ratings have a floor below which they won't sink?
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Martin Gisser

« Reply #2485 on: June 07, 2017, 10:36:16 PM »
Those who voted Trump have not yet shown much remorse. And methinks never will, for they lost and actively refuse touch with world and reality. Look at last year's Trump rallies: welcome to madhouse America. Methinks the floor is not far.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: June 08, 2017, 12:54:39 AM »

I don't think that he could drop below 25% to 27% approval rating; but I also think that if he does reach such a low rating then the traditional GOP Congressmen would throw him under the impeachment bus.

Edit: I think that Trump's approval rating would only drop that low as the findings of Mueller's wide ranging investigation become public.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 05:31:56 PM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: June 08, 2017, 07:36:02 PM »
The linked Palmer Report article entitled: "Donald Trump’s demise is still entirely dependent on his sinking approval rating"; supports my thinking on this matter.

http://www.palmerreport.com/politics/demise-trump-approval-rating/3367/

Extract: "Right now, the major polls have Trump’s approval rating pegged in the mid to high thirties. If it drops below thirty, you’ll probably see enough House Republicans (roughly ten percent of them) get on board to begin impeachment hearings. If his approval rating drops below twenty-five, you’ll probably see enough Republican Senators get on board with the idea conviction and removal. What’s most important to understand is that Trump’s approval rating is largely not defined by his base.

Trump base is no more than 15% of the country (consider the fact that only around one-fourth of Americans voted for him period, and many of them did it tepidly or out of party tradition). So when you look at a poll that says his approval rating is at 35%, what you’re really seeing is that his 15% base is still entirely with him, along with another 20% of Americans who are more or less just giving him the benefit of the doubt because it’s early and they’re thinking he might pull it together eventually."
― Leon C. Megginson

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2488 on: June 08, 2017, 08:36:30 PM »
Anything below 30% approval would be surprising.  Nixon never went below the mid 20s even in the end stages of Watergate, and we have a much greater degree of hyper-partisanship baked in today.  But yes as the work by Mueller proceeds and more details are leaked or become public, it it certainly possible that Trump's floor drops out.  Today's Senate testimony by Comey was very bad for Trump, Sessions, and others in the campaign and administration.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: June 08, 2017, 08:55:15 PM »
Donnie is at 37%/58% now in Gallup.....slightly lower in others.  Nixon bounced between 30 and 33% between May and December.  I expect Donnie to get down to that range by later this summer or early fall.

As Palmer noted in one of his posts today......this will be "death by a thousand cuts" over the coming months.

The findings of Mueller's investigation won't be available till the end of his investigation....but some of the tracks of the investigation will become noticeable.....and some "bodies" will be found and charges brought along the way.....as the FBI and the special prosecutor investigate and bring charges on "underlings" as they squeeze Donnies team from the bottom to the top.

There is going to be a summers worth of investigations on tv this summer and fall.  And Donnie's story will be cut up......one cut at a time.  And....at the same time.....Donnie will continue to be Donnie.  When you have a bad head coach.....and you surround him with a bad team....bad things happen, all that is needed is the passage of time.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2490 on: June 10, 2017, 01:10:46 PM »
Ten days until the Georgia special election in district 6 for the US House of Representives.  If Ossoff is able to win that seat...a seat that has NOT gone Democrat for over 40 years....you're going to make a lot of Republicans more nervous.

June 20......tick.....tick......tick

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1159
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #2491 on: June 12, 2017, 01:28:55 PM »
"The suit seeks an injunction to force Trump to stop violating the Constitution, but leaves it up to the court to decide how that should be accomplished."

D.C. and Maryland to sue President Trump, alleging breach of constitutional oath
Attorneys general for the District of Columbia and the state of Maryland say they will sue President Trump on Monday, alleging that he has violated anti-corruption clauses in the Constitution by accepting millions in payments and benefits from foreign governments since moving into the White House.

The lawsuit, the first of its kind brought by government entities, centers on the fact that Trump chose to retain ownership of his company when he became president. Trump said in January that he was shifting his business assets into a trust managed by his sons to eliminate potential conflicts of interests.

But D.C. Attorney General Karl A. Racine (D) and Maryland Attorney General Brian E. Frosh (D) say Trump has broken many promises to keep separate his public duties and private business interests. For one, his son Eric Trump has said the president would continue to receive regular updates about his company’s financial health.

The lawsuit, a signed copy of which Racine and Frosh provided to The Washington Post on Sunday night, alleges “unprecedented constitutional violations” by Trump. The suit says Trump’s continued ownership of a global business empire has rendered the president “deeply enmeshed with a legion of foreign and domestic government actors” and has undermined the integrity of the U.S. political system.

“Fundamental to a President’s fidelity to [faithfully execute his oath of office] is the Constitution’s demand that the President ... disentangle his private finances from those of domestic and foreign powers. Never before has a President acted with such disregard for this constitutional prescription.”...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/dc-and-maryland-to-sue-president-trump-alleging-breach-of-constitutional-oath/2017/06/11/0059e1f0-4f19-11e7-91eb-9611861a988f_story.html
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: June 12, 2017, 09:57:02 PM »
"The suit seeks an injunction to force Trump to stop violating the Constitution, but leaves it up to the court to decide how that should be accomplished."

D.C. and Maryland to sue President Trump, alleging breach of constitutional oath
Attorneys general for the District of Columbia and the state of Maryland say they will sue President Trump on Monday, alleging that he has violated anti-corruption clauses in the Constitution by accepting millions in payments and benefits from foreign governments since moving into the White House.

The lawsuit, the first of its kind brought by government entities, centers on the fact that Trump chose to retain ownership of his company when he became president. Trump said in January that he was shifting his business assets into a trust managed by his sons to eliminate potential conflicts of interests.

But D.C. Attorney General Karl A. Racine (D) and Maryland Attorney General Brian E. Frosh (D) say Trump has broken many promises to keep separate his public duties and private business interests. For one, his son Eric Trump has said the president would continue to receive regular updates about his company’s financial health.

The lawsuit, a signed copy of which Racine and Frosh provided to The Washington Post on Sunday night, alleges “unprecedented constitutional violations” by Trump. The suit says Trump’s continued ownership of a global business empire has rendered the president “deeply enmeshed with a legion of foreign and domestic government actors” and has undermined the integrity of the U.S. political system.

“Fundamental to a President’s fidelity to [faithfully execute his oath of office] is the Constitution’s demand that the President ... disentangle his private finances from those of domestic and foreign powers. Never before has a President acted with such disregard for this constitutional prescription.”...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/dc-and-maryland-to-sue-president-trump-alleging-breach-of-constitutional-oath/2017/06/11/0059e1f0-4f19-11e7-91eb-9611861a988f_story.html

Doesn't this finally end up being decided by the Republican Supreme Court?
Obama did not get to name his replacement for Scalia. Had he done so this might have been interesting.

It makes for great headlines, but I can't imagine it going any further.

Regretfully
Terry

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: June 12, 2017, 10:26:29 PM »
I wonder how long Mattis will give this "ride" until he pulls the plug and jettisons from Trump's cabinet.  How much longer will he take it....

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: June 13, 2017, 05:08:56 PM »
Golden State Warriors won the NBA championship last night...and reportedly have voted unanimously to turn down any invitation to the White House.  I believe Cleveland would have done the same thing if they had won.  I guess Donnie will have one more day to golf.🤡

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #2495 on: June 14, 2017, 08:22:37 AM »
In the linked article, Trump derided the House attempt last month at repealing the ACA as "mean", despite initially having praised the House's bill as a "great plan".

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-in-zigzag-calls-house-republicans%E2%80%99-health-bill-%E2%80%98mean%E2%80%99/ar-BBCEacG?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: June 14, 2017, 10:45:52 AM »
The linked NY Times article indicates that over 200 Democratic Congressmen will file a federal lawsuit today to sue Trump over his foreign business dealings:

"Democrats in Congress to Sue Trump Over Foreign Business Dealings"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/14/us/politics/democrats-in-congress-to-sue-trump-over-foreign-business-dealings.html?_r=0

Extract: "Nearly 200 Democratic members of Congress are expected to file a federal lawsuit on Wednesday accusing President Trump of violating the Constitution by profiting from business dealings with foreign governments."
― Leon C. Megginson

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2497 on: June 14, 2017, 09:18:53 PM »
The linked NY Times article indicates that over 200 Democratic Congressmen will file a federal lawsuit today to sue Trump over his foreign business dealings:

"Democrats in Congress to Sue Trump Over Foreign Business Dealings"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/14/us/politics/democrats-in-congress-to-sue-trump-over-foreign-business-dealings.html?_r=0

Extract: "Nearly 200 Democratic members of Congress are expected to file a federal lawsuit on Wednesday accusing President Trump of violating the Constitution by profiting from business dealings with foreign governments."

One interesting tangent from this and the state AGs' actions is that it could result in review of Trump's tax returns.  Although Mueller may already have them, as part of his prosecuting team specializes in financial crime.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: June 15, 2017, 02:35:33 PM »
When it rains......it pours.  Looks like the commercial property asset class has peaked in 2016...and now we likely heading for some type of correction.....especially on the US coasts and larger Midwest cities like Chicago.  This is NOT going to be good for Donnie's portfolio.  Foreign money into the US market is slowing down now....and that is not good as he tries to launder (invest😜) money from Russia and China.

Happy birthday Donnie...

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: June 16, 2017, 04:33:09 PM »
With the US political system hijacked by an extreme narcissist, we should all learn how to avoid becoming co-dependents by learning how to shut Trump's non-evidence based news down; in the same way climate change denialists fake news can be shut-down via direct application of Bayesian logic.

"The Note: Somehow it's always about Trump"

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/note-trump/story?id=48078790
― Leon C. Megginson