Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Trump  (Read 1474141 times)

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
Re: The Trump Presidency (was "Presidential Poll")
« Reply #2550 on: July 04, 2017, 03:42:53 AM »

Who cost Hillary the election.

Terry

You need to stop living in the past and starting thinking about the welling being of the world; which is being threatened by Trump's actions.
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: July 04, 2017, 04:41:14 AM »
Need more reasons to put up resistance to the Trump Administration, just read the following three linked articles:

Title: “Paul Krugman: Trump Is About to Launch His First Major War, and It's as Ill-Conceived as You'd Imagine”

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/paul-krugman-trump-about-launch-his-first-major-war-and-its-ill-conceived-youd

Extract: “Now, as Paul Krugman writes in his Monday column, he's combining these interests in a dangerous new scheme: a trade war. 
Krugman is referring to a report from the news site Axios that suggests Trump is determined to impose "punitive tariffs on imports of steel and possibly other products, despite opposition from most of his cabinet." Why? According to Axios, it's because Trump's base "likes the idea of a trade war" and "will love the fight."”

&

Title: “Robert Reich: There's a More Frightening Possibility Than Trump Is Just Nuts”

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/robert-reich-theres-more-frightening-possibility-trump-just-nuts

Extract: “As the tweets and rallies become shriller and more provocative, their clear message is that Trump’s critics are bad people who are conspiring to undo his presidency – people whom Trump supporters must “not let” silence him, who deserve to be slammed the way Trump took it out on CNN in the mock video he posted Sunday morning. 

It’s a narrative that’s showing up increasingly on right-wing websites.

Will news organizations be intimidated? Probably not, at least not at this point. But we may be on a slippery path. Trump’s increasingly incendiary tweets and messages constitute an overt assault on freedom of the press, the cornerstone of our democracy.”

&

Title: “Adam Schiff Drops A Bomb And Confirms There Is Evidence That Trump Colluded With Russia”

http://www.politicususa.com/2017/06/18/adam-schiff-drops-bombshell-confirms-evidence-trump-colluded-russia.html?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=im

Extract: “Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA) confirmed during an interview on ABC's This Week that there is evidence that the Trump campaign colluded with Russia and that the President obstructed justice.”
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2552 on: July 04, 2017, 05:29:39 AM »
Thank you for that gem of a link to Adam Schiff on the Comey firing.

"The fact that an employer can terminate an employee at will doesn’t mean that he can fire an employee because the employee rejected his sexual advances."

That would make a good Saturday Night Live item ... Trump putting the moves on Comey ...

sidd

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2553 on: July 04, 2017, 07:29:15 AM »
ASLR
I don't think anyone who posts here needs convincing that Trump is a terrible president. Some of us do however believe that impeachment, particularly an impeachment charge based on a Russian conspiracy is the wrong direction to go. Having Pence as our next fearless leader isn't something that I look forward to.
If Trump is charged and wins we'll have 4 more years of Trump, if he loses we get 8 years of Pence, where is the upside?
Terry

magnamentis

« Reply #2554 on: July 04, 2017, 11:12:28 AM »
ASLR
I don't think anyone who posts here needs convincing that Trump is a terrible president. Some of us do however believe that impeachment, particularly an impeachment charge based on a Russian conspiracy is the wrong direction to go. Having Pence as our next fearless leader isn't something that I look forward to.
If Trump is charged and wins we'll have 4 more years of Trump, if he loses we get 8 years of Pence, where is the upside?
Terry

i agree with your direction of thinking while independently impeachment should be a goal under all circumstance because i cannot imagine any of the alternatives would do sooo.... much damage to the country and ultimately to the entire world. this man is not only not fit to be president, he is a huge mortgage ( Hypothek ) for decades to come and must be ousted by all ethical and legal means.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #2555 on: July 04, 2017, 02:10:40 PM »
Two interesting things for me to watch that are effects of the Trump administration are:

1). The quick move away from looking at the US as the leader of democracy's around the world (and now looking at Merkel as the "leader of the free world").  The huge move in polls of how the US is viewed by other countries is incredible.  Donnie has been able to wipe of a LOT of goodwill in just 5 months.  Germany, France, and Canada are taking the lead in denying Trump the respect he wants.  I guess bullying must have worked a lot better for Donnie in the private sector. 

2). The under-reporting of Mitch McConnel as being the source/reason for NOT reporting the Russian involvement in the US election much earlier...and in stronger terms.   I believe this will become a MUCH bigger deal as we move into next year.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 03:20:27 PM by Buddy »
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: July 04, 2017, 03:03:42 PM »
ASLR
Terry

It sounds to me that you are promoting rule by man over rule by law.  There is an on going investigation by a Special Counsel, which you seem to want to either shutdown or ignore.  It seems to me that your time would be better spent defending democracy from Trump's numerous assaults, rather than trying to put your thumb on the scales of justice.

ASLR
― Leon C. Megginson

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #2557 on: July 04, 2017, 03:29:36 PM »
ASLR
Terry

Cynical old me has always believed that at best the Law is but an imperfect substitute for justice, and at worst legalised wrong-doing purchased by the highest bidder. So the only action I might take re Trump is to have my "Go Home" banner ready if he pitches up in England.

It sounds to me that you are promoting rule by man over rule by law.  There is an on going investigation by a Special Counsel, which you seem to want to either shutdown or ignore.  It seems to me that your time would be better spent defending democracy from Trump's numerous assaults, rather than trying to put your thumb on the scales of justice.

ASLR
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Villabolo

• New ice
    • View Profile
    • Global Warming Basics
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #2558 on: July 05, 2017, 01:38:25 AM »
ASLR
Terry

You're perfectly right. Four more years of Trump will get Americans so sick and tired of Republicans that they will switch over to the other party.
In the multiversic symphony
In the place of endless possibilities
In the land of dreams we'll meet

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: July 05, 2017, 02:29:14 AM »
For any of you wondering about the similarity or difference between Watergate and RussiaGate...timewise, the "Saturday Night Massacure" happened on October 20th, 1973.....which would coincide with the coming October....3 months from now.

The Saturday Night Massacure was the night that Nixon fired a couple people in the DOJ because they wouldn't fire the Special Prosecutor.  After firing those 2 people...Bork was left to fire him.

I expect Mueller to also be fired this time around.  Nixon was trying to get people's mind off of Watergate....and some people were growing weary of the investigation (sound familiar😜).

In November of 1973....it was discovered that there were tapes of Nixons conversations.  But those tapes wouldn't be turned over voluntarily.  It wasn't until the NEXT summer of 1974 that the tapes were obtained.

Donnie is in very deep water.....

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 03:31:54 PM by Buddy »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: July 05, 2017, 03:39:14 PM »
Vladimir must be licking his chops looking forward to his meeting with Donnie.  Think about it:  You have compromising information on Donnie that you can hold over his head.....AND.....Donnie is now showing clear signs of dementia or altzheimers.  And one of the only countries that has any confidence in Donnie....is Russia.  The rest of the world hates him.

If I'm Vladimir......I'm going "all in" on playing his hand against Trump.  He can get whatever he wants from Donnie.  The only thing stopping him is the US Congress.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 10:42:44 PM by Buddy »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #2561 on: July 05, 2017, 07:22:53 PM »
Video clip.  Not a joke.

Trump Just Got Lost Walking To His Limo -- Exiting Air Force One
http://washingtonjournal.com/2017/07/04/trump-just-got-lost-walking-limo/
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: July 06, 2017, 08:29:35 PM »
Trump will now be able to appoint an ethics watchdog that will limit his public criticism of Team Trump's ethics:

Title: "Ethics official who sparred with Trump is leaving government"

http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/06/news/walter-shaub-office-of-government-ethics-resignation/index.html

Extract: "The ethics watchdog who has badgered the Trump administration for months about conflicts of interest says he is leaving the federal government.

Trump will now be able to make his own pick to replace Shaub. The ethics director is appointed to a five-year term and needs to be confirmed by the Senate."
― Leon C. Megginson

Deeenngee

• New ice
    • View Profile
    • Baddadgags
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2563 on: July 07, 2017, 12:22:42 PM »
An update on polling. Data from http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/data/popularity.php?pres=45&sort=time&direct=DESC&Submit=DISPLAY

Trump can only dream of the 2nd quartile at the moment. I wonder if he cares, really?
https://twitter.com/baddadgags

One liners, dad jokes, other jokes; all mine. Please follow for 2 to 3 moderately amusing instances of the above per week, guaranteed.

Deeenngee

• New ice
    • View Profile
    • Baddadgags
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2564 on: July 07, 2017, 12:26:02 PM »
Correction - I'd accidentally filled in August. I don't expect much change by then though!
https://twitter.com/baddadgags

One liners, dad jokes, other jokes; all mine. Please follow for 2 to 3 moderately amusing instances of the above per week, guaranteed.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2565 on: July 08, 2017, 02:47:27 PM »
If you get a chance....I encourage you to take a look at some of the press from FOX and RT (Russian press) over the last few days....and for the next several days as well.  I have always said that FOX is one of the biggest dangers to US democracy. 

Journalism is about reporting facts.....searching for the truth....things that FOX knows nothing about.  You will see the similarity between FOX and RT.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: July 09, 2017, 04:32:59 PM »
In addition to Russian interference, gerrymandering, and voter suppression; in the 2016 election Trump (and the far right GOP) benefited disproportionately, and continues to benefit, from Dark Money as illustrated by the following linked websites and articles:

"Dark Money Watch"

http://www.darkmoneywatch.org/

Extract: "45 Committee spent over $21 million supporting Trump in the 2016 election.  Its donors are unknown."

&

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/06/politics/45-committee-website-hacked/

Extract: "The 45 Committee -- a PAC started by mega-donors Todd Ricketts and Sheldon Adelson -- released a new ad pushing Trump's Cabinet picks this week, while some key members like education nominee Betsy DeVos hang in peril of being rejected in the Senate."

&

"Conservative Dark Money Helps Georgia Congressional Candidate Narrow Spending Gap With Ossoff"

http://www.darkmoneywatch.org/gop-dark-money-helps-georgia-congressional-candidate-narrow-spending-gap-with-ossoff/

Extract: "A MapLight analysis found outside sources have added $8.2 million to Ossoff’s effort. Conservative independent groups have countered with $18.5 million in spending to support Handel, narrowing the gap between the two candidates to $9 million."

Also see the website for MapLight.org:

https://maplight.org/

Extract: "MapLight revealing money's influence on politics"

"White House Relied Upon Dark Money Lobbyist to ‘Quarterback’ Gorsuch Confirmation"

https://maplight.org/story/white-house-relied-upon-dark-money-lobbyist-to-quarterback-gorsuch-confirmation/

Extract: "A lobbyist with extensive ties to secretive nonprofit organizations served as the “quarterback” for  the successful nomination of Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch, according to records reviewed by MapLight.

Rob Collins, a Washington lobbyist and Republican strategist, claims on his professional biography at the S-3 Group that he worked with more than a half-dozen White House offices, the Department of Justice, the U.S. Senate and more than 20 advocacy organizations to to ensure Gorsuch’s confirmation."

&

"Dark Money Organization Emerges As Major Financier for GOP Legislative, Electoral Agendas"

https://maplight.org/story/dark-money-organization-emerges-as-major-financier-for-gop-legislative-electoral-agendas/

Extract: "A secretive nonprofit closely linked to House Speaker Paul Ryan has begun playing a pivotal role in supporting Republican policies and candidates since the November 2016 election, a MapLight analysis has found.

The American Action Network (AAN) has donated more than $6.5 million to the Congressional Leadership Fund (CLF) -- a super PAC that has been the top-spending outside organization this year, pouring almost $10 million into GOP special election victories in Georgia and Montana. The AAN has been the super PAC’s largest donor, accounting for more than 60 percent of its funding since the 2016 election."
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: July 11, 2017, 01:27:15 PM »
While the RussiaGate onion continues to get peeled to its core....interesting things continue to happen on policy related items:

1). Oil and gas prices can't get out of their own way.  Too much supply...or not enoug deans, take your pick.

2). Not a month goes by where either another car company gives more information about accelerating their electric vehicle program....or.....another COUNTRY gives a future date when they expect to disallow the sale of internal combustion vehicles in their country.

3). Healthcare policy in the US continues to be front and center.  More and more people are now asking why the US is the only advanced country that doesn't have universal healthcare.  If the elephants aren't able to slam through a "Hail Mary" health bill in the next few weeks....expect the chorus of people clammoring for universal healthcare to increase their volume a bit.

4). I expect pharmaceutical companies to continue to come under fire.  In the US they have been a travesty for years/decades....expect more pressure on them in the next few years.

5). The next scam in the investment banks/hedge funds will likely be the algorithmic trading.  A Congressman from Oregon has been trying to reign this in over the past few years...expect more activity on this front as Republicans weaken over the next year.

As the Trump administration continues to be mired in everything Russia (and the coming money laundering that has only been touched on)....changes in policy are on the horizon.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #2568 on: July 11, 2017, 02:08:31 PM »
<snip; I need to shut up; N.  ;) >
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 02:13:58 PM by Neven »
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: July 11, 2017, 09:19:16 PM »
This is fascinating.

" ... the fourteen states with the largest increases in inequality after 1990 without exception voted for Hillary Clinton."

"Conversely, the seven states with the smallest increase in inequality, and ten of the lowest twelve, all voted for Donald Trump."

http://www.newgeography.com/content/005678-inequality-and-2016-election-outcome-a-dirty-secret-and-a-dilemma

I attach fig 1

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: July 12, 2017, 08:55:43 AM »
siid

I'd written a long and scintillating response to your piece & link, only to discover when I posted, that we were on The Trump Presidency thread. I quickly removed it as it was nothing but grist for our Get Rid of Corporate Democrats corner, much thanks to Neven's edit features, then moved on to other threads.
I'm back to say that your link has interesting implications for the next two election cycles, and that the way Team Trump reacts to this new information may play out between now and 2018 & 2020.
If States with increasingly higher rates of fiscal inequality tend to vote for Democrats, Trumps new aspirations could be to attempt to level the field, or alternatively to refocus his campaign.
As it's Trump's brain trust we're dealing with I'd assume the later course will be taken.

Trump hasn't yet shown much urgency in fulfilling his campaign promises, and if this new demographic information is acted upon, he may see less reason to do so. If his base of disaffected white guys is liable to swing away from him wherever his campaign promises actually take root, then being ineffective could prove to be to his advantage.

If his team takes the message to heart, we might face a far more flexible opponent in the next contests. Rather than hammering away using the same worn Republican talking points, we might be faced with a much harder to attack chameleon.
Voters have remarkably short memory spans, and if we fight against Trump's promises from the last campaign, we may find ourselves fighting a chimera that hasn't existed in that form for some time.

I'm still drifting off on a "Get Rid of the Corporate Democrat's" direction so I'm going to pack this in. I've bookmarked your link as I think it could be important going forward.

Terry

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #2571 on: July 12, 2017, 12:16:39 PM »
Bill Maher: This is why Trump will win again in 2020
! No longer available
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 02:41:25 PM by Neven »
The enemy is within

E. Smith

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: July 12, 2017, 09:59:31 PM »
Bill's fears mirror my own. The 25 years of far right governance he mentions is but a beginning. 25 years of gerrymandering, 25 years of Supreme court appointees, 25 years of global intervention, 25 years of ignoring international laws and conventions.

If we can't get Trump and the Republicans out in 2020, what is plan B?

I don't think Pileus's fighting in the streets will work.
I don't think we'd surrender to an outside force without resorting to nukes.
I don't think being shamed on the world stage has worked.
I don't think international courts will offer relief.

Again, what is plan B?

Terry

Martin Gisser

« Reply #2573 on: July 13, 2017, 12:32:59 AM »
Bill Maher: This is why Trump will win again in 2020
! No longer available
That whole show was one of Maher's & guests' best. Where else can you hear the word "gerrymandering" not just once, but 3x ?
But this is more for the "Corporate Democrats" thread... (?!)
"200000 deaths (from bad healthcare) for yet another tax break for the rich" (said in video ~6:20)
That's what defines the GOP agenda since Reagan. That's what's the difference to Democrats, corporate or not. That's what Dem messaging should be.
--------------
Apropos. Can't help but again recommend Michael Moore in Trumpland, speaking my mind. This clip is where he tells about discovering a 20y old photo of HRC (aka Killary) visiting an Estonian maternity clinic, studying how universal healthcare works around the world... Quotes: "Instead you humiliated her" (Estonian doctor on photo, 20y later). "One million dead Americans, because we refused to listen to Hillary Clinton. ... Something is wrong, here." (Michael Moore).

--- Back to topic: The Trump presidency is methinks the epitome of this Wrong. The grotesque absurdity of "progressives" blaming HRC and Obama on Trump shows that part of this Wrong is also a manifestation of collective mental derangement, engineered over decades of propaganda and stupidification of political discourse and of The People. With Trumputin it has reached proportions unimaginable under Dubya and Ronnie.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 12:46:52 AM by Martin Gisser »

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #2574 on: July 13, 2017, 02:18:58 PM »
This is the kind of stuff that can bring Trump and the GOP down:

Congressmen Repealing Obamacare Now Buying Health Insurance Stocks

! No longer available
The enemy is within

E. Smith

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: July 15, 2017, 01:15:22 AM »
Here are some insights from Naomi Klein about what you can expect to come from Team Trump (i.e.: increased suppression of democracy):

“Naomi Klein: The Worst Is Yet to Come with Trump, So We Must Be Ready for Shock Politics”

― Leon C. Megginson

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: July 15, 2017, 09:12:37 PM »
Here are some insights from Naomi Klein about what you can expect to come from Team Trump (i.e.: increased suppression of democracy):

“Naomi Klein: The Worst Is Yet to Come with Trump, So We Must Be Ready for Shock Politics”

Naomi is among an ever shrinking group of intellectuals who have not sold out in order to sell more books. She alienated many of her race when she called for boycotts of apartheid Israel. She's alienating many in America with support for boycotting Anti Paris Accord America. She found thinking and writing more important than finishing her degree. Along with Gladwell, she brings a uniquely Canadian voice to the table when New York's intellectuals are queried.

Many other fine interviews accompany the linked one, and if time is pressing the first 9 minutes contain most of the pertinent points that she makes in a separated video.

Terry

Martin Gisser

« Reply #2577 on: July 15, 2017, 11:16:44 PM »
Naomi Klein recently called Trump's antics "Schmock doctrine", only half joking.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: July 17, 2017, 05:24:00 AM »
It will be interesting to see whether Trump drags the GOP along with him down to the bottom of the opinion polls:

Title: “Donald Trump approval rating at 70-year low as Russia scandal swirls”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jul/16/trump-campaign-paid-50000-to-trump-jrs-lawyer-before-emails-released

Extract: “Donald Trump’s approval rating has plunged in a national poll, published on Sunday, that charts Americans’ perceptions of a stalling domestic policy agenda and declining leadership on the world stage.

The Washington Post/ABC News poll, which put Trump’s six-month approval rating at a historic 70-year low, came amid mounting controversy over Russian interference in the 2016 election.

It emerged on Saturday that Trump’s campaign committee made a payment to the legal firm representing the president’s eldest son almost two weeks before a meeting between Trump Jr and a Russian lawyer promising compromising information on Hillary Clinton was made public.

Trump now has a 36% approval rating, down six points from his first 100 days’ rating.”
― Leon C. Megginson

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: July 17, 2017, 06:17:07 AM »
Any idea how many democrats and how many republicans they polled?

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #2580 on: July 17, 2017, 06:31:30 AM »

6 months in, a record low for Trump, with troubles from Russia to health care (POLL)
"Partisan divisions are 35-23-35 percent, Democrats-Republicans-independents."
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/months-record-low-trump-troubles-russia-health-care/story?id=48639490

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: July 17, 2017, 06:58:35 AM »

6 months in, a record low for Trump, with troubles from Russia to health care (POLL)
"Partisan divisions are 35-23-35 percent, Democrats-Republicans-independents."
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/months-record-low-trump-troubles-russia-health-care/story?id=48639490

That seems a strange division, particularly so soon after an election in which democrats won so few seats at so many levels of government.

Did the polls that this poll is being compared to also have ~5 democrats for every 3 republicans, or were those polls actually polling different demographics, making them incomparable?

Jim Pettit

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #2582 on: July 17, 2017, 12:56:42 PM »
That seems a strange division, particularly so soon after an election in which democrats won so few seats at so many levels of government.

Did the polls that this poll is being compared to also have ~5 democrats for every 3 republicans, or were those polls actually polling different demographics, making them incomparable?

Literally every public opinion poll publishes its non-proprietary methodologies for all to see, so anyone with questions can certainly avail themselves of what's out there.

From a purely anecdotal point of view: I have numerous relatives and friends who live in deeply Red States, who subsist on a non-stop diet of Fox and Limbaugh and InfoWars, and who voted for Trump. And up until a few weeks ago, they were rock solid and unwavering in their support for the Russian-infatuated, Russian-indebted, Russian-elected miscreant in the White House. But now their facades are cracking; even the most stalwart are beginning to realize the Emperor has no clothes, and while they still will never pull the lever for anyone with a 'D' next to their name, a growing number seem to be admitting, at least to a small, close group, that Trump is no Messiah. He's just a Mess.

Shorter: those polls seem accurate.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: July 17, 2017, 01:36:49 PM »
Two things to note:

1). Mark Twain noted that " it is easier to con someone, than it is to convince someone that they have been conned".  Human psychology.

2). That is why it took so long for Nixons poll numbers to drop in 1973/74....and why it will take another 12+ months for Donnie's numbers to continue to slowly drift lower.  It will be death by a thousand cuts over the next 12+ months.

I have total confidence in Donnie's total ineptness....and his oversized ego....to destroy himself.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: July 18, 2017, 07:41:38 PM »
I think Donnie is right:  He should just let Obamacare fail.  Just like we are going to let Donnie fail.😁

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: July 19, 2017, 05:47:40 AM »
I think Donnie is right:  He should just let Obamacare fail.  Just like we are going to let Donnie fail.😁

I am probably overreacting but the fact that Trump doesn't care who he hurts as he has already begun to mismanage Obamacare (& may mismanage it to the point of collapse) makes it clear that he is not only an extreme narcissist but also a coward:

Title: “Let Obamacare fail - Trump's new plan”

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40646625

Extract: “President Donald Trump has said the new Republican healthcare policy should be to allow the current law to collapse. ”
― Leon C. Megginson

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #2586 on: July 19, 2017, 06:00:42 AM »
It stands a better chance to survive if the Republicans leave it alone. Somehow I think Trump will do whatever he can to ensure it does fail. It seems odd to hear the doomsayer's claim that the ACA will collapse upon itself, while my wife is enjoying the best coverage she's had yet this year under Obamacare! Next year may be quite different, though. In two more years, she'll be eligible for Medicare, so we are hoping the ACA hangs on at least through 2019.

BudM

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: July 19, 2017, 10:53:06 AM »
It is funny that the Republicans drive to get rid of Obamacare.....starts the next push towards universal Healthcare in the US.  The last thing the Republicans wanted to have is an open dialogue about the shortcomings of healthcare in the US.

The Republicans now find themselves on the wrong side of healthcare, climate change, voter registration, gun violence, and RussiaGate.  That is what happens when you try to stitch together lobbiest's and call them a party.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 04:57:29 AM by Buddy »

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: July 19, 2017, 04:30:02 PM »
When the president has no ethics, he creates a rot not only within government but in the global socio-economic fabric:

Title: "Former Ethics Chief: I Was ‘Horrified’ By Trump Lawyer Request"

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/former-ethics-chief-was-horrified-trump-lawyer-request

Extract: "The day after he left his post as head of the U.S. Office of Government Ethics, former director Walter Shaub appeared on CNN Wednesday morning, spouting off a list of ethical abnormalities he encountered working under the President Donald Trump administration.

Shaub said he was “horrified” by an incident in which Trump’s lawyer asked if the President could file his financial disclosure form without signing it.

“You need to set a strong ethical tone from the top. Tone is everything in government ethics,” he said."
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 04:38:04 PM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: July 19, 2017, 04:36:37 PM »
Those who choose to live by the sword, die by the sword:

Title: "Tensions reach new high between Trump, GOP"

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/342650-tensions-reach-new-high-between-trump-gop

Extract: "Tensions are bubbling over between President Trump and Senate Republicans.
White House officials are blaming Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) for getting stuffed at the goal line on ObamaCare repeal-and-replace legislation, while GOP senators say Trump failed to provide any meaningful political momentum for the prized measure.

“He was of no help,” grumbled one GOP senator, who doubted that Trump would have done much to defend lawmakers from political attacks if the bill passed."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: July 19, 2017, 09:07:20 PM »
I would say that Trump needs a lesson in how to win friends and influence people:

Title: "Trump to GOP senators: Cancel your recess"

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/342732-trump-to-gop-senators-cancel-your-recess

Extract: "President Trump told GOP senators at the White House on Wednesday that they should cancel their August recess and not leave town until acting to repeal ObamaCare.

"We shouldn't leave town until this is complete," he said during a lunch at the White House. "We should hammer this out and get it done."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: July 19, 2017, 11:38:49 PM »
Maybe Trump can help the Dems pick off the weakest GOP Congressmen in the coming election:

Title: "'He wants to remain senator, doesn't he?': Trump singles out GOP senator sitting next to him on healthcare bill opposition"

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-dean-heller-senate-republican-health-care-bill-2017-7
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: July 20, 2017, 04:43:32 AM »
Trump is leading the charge in a race to the bottom:

Title: “The Presidential Advisory Commission on Election Mendacity”

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2017/07/the_first_public_meeting_of_trump_s_voter_fraud_panel_was_a_parade_of_lies.html

Extract: “The first public meeting of Trump’s voter fraud panel was a horrifying parade of outright lies.”
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: July 20, 2017, 09:06:28 PM »
The linked Alternet article cites a three-page July 7 2017 OMB memo that outlines how Trump plans to build a police state, beginning on Oct. 1 2018 (if he gets his way):

Title: "Trump's Budget Shows How He Is Building a Police State"

http://www.alternet.org/trumps-police-state-vision-america-laid-out-white-house-budget-documents

Extract: "Donald Trump plans to turn the federal government into a much more militaristic and paramilitary policing organization while making drastic cuts in the civilian workforce, including non-uniformed law enforcement, a July 7 budget memo shows.

The memo says that the budget for our government’s 2019 fiscal year, which begins on Oct.1, 2018, “will build on the ambitious plans laid out in the president’s first budget” especially through “reducing the federal civilian workforce.”"
― Leon C. Megginson

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: July 22, 2017, 10:14:30 PM »
Gary Abernathy is the editor of a paper in a very small town in Ohio. I know that area, have friends that live there, and have spent much time there over the last forty odd years. The poverty is appalling.

Mr. Abernathy does an occasional column for which he has taken a great deal of flak. He tells it like he sees it, and like his readers see it. Some don't like that. But I know those people well, and he is right on the money regarding their attitudes.

The first three articles express the unyeilding support Trump still enjoys there, and attempts to explain why. Until the leadership Democratic Party reads and understands what he is saying, their prospects are dim.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/our-towns-newspaper-was-mocked-for-endorsing-trump-heres-what-we-think-now/2017/06/07/3365e17c-4acb-11e7-9669-250d0b15f83b_story.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/in-trump-country-russia-just-isnt-big-news-heres-why/2017/07/21/8514f49e-6cc3-11e7-9c15-177740635e83_story.html

http://www.twincities.com/2017/07/20/gary-abernathy-the-medias-martyr-complex/

The next article is on drug use which has blighted his community. A Republican Ohio Attorney General  is suing big pharma over opiod misuse, while Senator Cory Booker champions them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/theres-an-ongoing-terrorist-attack-in-ohio/2017/06/30/2523f7ea-5da7-11e7-9fc6-c7ef4bc58d13_story.html

sidd

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2595 on: July 23, 2017, 05:19:59 PM »
Trump may be pre-conditioning the military to follow unlawful orders, so that when in the future he can issue orders that progressively infringe more and more on democracy to the benefit of Trump's kleptocracy:

Title: "Donald Trump begins issuing unlawful orders, as ex-CIA chief urges personnel to defy Trump’s unlawful orders "

http://www.palmerreport.com/politics/trump-unlawful-ordersa-cia-defy-orders/4005/

Extract: "Donald Trump has begun issuing unlawful orders to U.S. military personnel, creating a situation in which those personnel will need to decide whether to obey or defy an illegal order from their Commander in Chief. This comes on the same day that the recently retired Director of CIA has begun openly urging members of the executive branch to defy any illegal orders that Trump might give."
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: July 27, 2017, 05:19:10 PM »
Governor Sam Brownback from Kansas may be joining the Trump team as an ambassador.  Sam is noted for creating an absolute financial mess of the state of Kansas.  He is noted for cutting the tax rate on the wealthy......and promising that it would ignite economic activity in the state.  This is "trickle down economics" which has already been proved to a hoax.  Economic activity did NOT pick up in Kansas....and their budget is now a f$cking mess due to a revenue shortfall.

This is the handiwork of the failed "Laffer Curve".  All it does is put more money on the balance sheet of the wealthy.....and cause the states to have to cut back on expenditures for the middle and lower class.

When you are such an idiot....and an idiot without ethics like Donnie.....Sam Brownback is the type of individual he attracts to his administration....like most everyone else with the exception of Mattis.

ritter

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #2597 on: July 27, 2017, 05:36:11 PM »
"trickle down economics" which has already been proved to a hoax

Buddy,

With respect, trickle down economics certainly does work. However, it was misnamed. The real term is "golden showers" (or "rich pissing on the poor").  ;)

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: July 27, 2017, 09:07:37 PM »
A couple of things to note:

1). I wanted to congratulate FOX News on their numerous Emmy nominations.  It is the tremendously hard work and ethical values of FOX that enabled them to get a total of ZERO...0.....NADDA.....nominations.  Well done FOX, well done. 

2).  I guess I was wrong about Donnie hiring a bunch of idiots.  Sarah FC Huckabee just informed everyone at the daily briefing, that they hire the "best and the brightest".  It must have been Rick Perrys 2.2 GPA....or Betsy DeVoss' zero experience in public education, or Ben Carsons ZERO experience in urban development, or Rex Tillersons ZERO experience in government....

I stand corrected.....😜

Pmt111500

« Reply #2599 on: July 28, 2017, 08:38:21 AM »
The US government is afraid of their youth having a voice.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/07/27/an-appeals-court-just-pressed-pause-on-the-much-watched-youth-climate-lawsuit-against-trump/?utm_term=.e2e5ad410939&wpisrc=nl_green&wpmm=1

Will ask any US youth to shut up if they're under 21 of age claiming "it's your government policy". Waiting for republicans to ban internet usage from people in US claiming science can explain nature.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 11:49:09 AM by Pmt111500 »