Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Trump  (Read 1473796 times)

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: The Trump Presidency (was "Presidential Poll")
« Reply #2700 on: August 13, 2017, 02:20:24 AM »
Character is not revealed when everything is going great....character is revealed when things don't go well.  SCROTUS has failed his character test MISERABLY today.

You peel the apple from the outside in.....and eventually see what is at the core.  Is it healthy or is it rotten?  Donnie is showing us once again.....that he is rotten to the core.
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2701 on: August 13, 2017, 03:25:34 AM »
Today was one of the most, if not the most, shameful days of the Trump presidency.  Anyone continuing to serve as an apologist or make excuses for the man, or suggest that it's preferable he remain in power, needs to step back and reexamine their own sense of decency and humanity.

Saying this as someone whose family lost sons in the fights against both the Confederates and the Nazis.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #2702 on: August 13, 2017, 04:49:30 AM »
The WH rats are increasingly turning on each other:

Title: “Trump suspects Bannon behind WH leaks: report”

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-suspects-bannon-behind-wh-leaks-report/ar-AApVWot?li=AA5a8k&ocid=spartandhp

Extract: “President Trump reportedly suspects that his chief strategist Stephen Bannon is behind some White House leaks about fellow staffers, according to a new report by Axios.

Sources told Axios that West Wing staff believe Bannon was behind leaks about National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster and that Bannon's job could be in danger.”
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: August 13, 2017, 11:47:30 AM »
If Donnie does end up getting rid of some of the more outrageous racists in his administration, at least they will be able to land on their feet at the state run media.......FOX.

Now that Eric Bolling is no longer using his office.....per one of the women he made inappropriate advances to, it was "his favorite spot for sex", someone like Bannon, Gorka or Stephen Miller would fit right in at FOX.  No ethics.....over the top hate speak.....racist.  With that kind of low life they would definitely be in the career fast lane at 🦊 FOX.

I see that FOX is giving face time to one of their best "political Christians" (as opposed to a REAL Christian).....Mike Huckabee.  Yea.....the apple didn't fall very far from the tree with Sara Huckabee did it?  Now you can see why it is so easy for her to spew the lies of "Donnie Small Hands."

FOX has definitely earned their reputation as the hate channel over the years.  If you're a young, cute female that doesn't mind wearing your skirt 6 inches above your knees....and being inappropriately sexually harassed by the men of FOX......FOX wants you.  But if you're a male....you don't have to even be cute.  All they need is for you to be racist, bigoted, narrow minded pig willing to lie.  Or at least turn the truth like a pretzel .

If General Kelly fires a couple of the racists in Donnies admin....they could have a good career ahead of them at FOX.  And an empty office waiting for them in Eric's old digs.  I would bring plenty of Lysol with you, however.  Sounds like you're going to need it.😳

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 01:03:57 PM by Buddy »

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: August 13, 2017, 12:45:02 PM »
If Donnie does end up getting rid of some of the more outrageous racists in his administration, at least they will be able to land on their feet at the state run media.......FOX.

Maybe Rupert Murdock could create a non-profit branch of FOX so that Team Trump could formally recognize it as a super PAC and the fossil fuel industry could funnel tons of 'dark money' to the FOX super PAC for the good of the country per the Citizens United ruling (see the linked article & extract):

http://www.opensecrets.org/news/reports/citizens_united.php

Extract: "The Supreme Court's 2010 decision in Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission helped unleash unprecedented amounts of outside spending in the 2010 and 2012 election cycles. The case, along with other legal developments, spawned the creation of super PACs, which can accept unlimited contributions from corporate and union treasuries, as well as from individuals; these groups spent more than $800 million in the 2012 election cycle. It also triggered a boom in political activity by tax-exempt "dark money" organizations that don't have to disclose their donors."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: August 13, 2017, 03:40:37 PM »
Even Orrin Hatch(who may become president after RussiaGate is settled) came out and spoke against the White nationalists in no uncertain terms.

Maybe Donnie needs a soft spoken spokesperson like Gorka or Stephen Miller to speak out on the subject today.  THAT would do the trick...😳

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: August 13, 2017, 05:58:01 PM »
You can tell what direction Trump wants to take America (& the world) when one of his first acts of lawmaking was to rescind a pending bipartisan Securities and Exchange rule designed to fight kleptocracy (hint: he is promoting kleptocracy).

Title: "The Trump Administration Rolls Back Anti-Corruption Efforts in the Oil Industry"

http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-trump-administration-rolls-back-anti-corruption-efforts-in-the-oil-industry

Extract: "In February, in one of its first acts of lawmaking, the Trump Administration, with the Republican-controlled Congress, rescinded a pending Securities and Exchange Commission rule that would have required oil companies to disclose details of their payments to international governments in connection with oil and gas production.

The rule, which was mandated by a law co-sponsored by former Republican Senator Richard Lugar, of Indiana, and Democratic Senator Ben Cardin, of Maryland, was designed to combat bribery and corruption, especially in poor countries governed by kleptocrats."
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: August 14, 2017, 03:25:05 AM »
Going to be a fun week.....buckle up.  Donnie screwed the pooch in Charlottesville.  Instead of coming out today and cleaning up his mess from yesterday....he's decided to go into hiding.

Not good Donnie.....you're looking small like your hands.  Bannon, Gorka, and Miller will be in the spotlight this week.  If Donnie doesn't get rid of them....more elephants will stray away from the herd.

Who is going to be first to leave the admin voluntarily?  Nikki Haley?  Mattis?  Kelly?  I can't imagine Kelly being a happy camper if Gorka and Bannon are around much longer.

And then we have White House FBI interviews starting this week.  Going to be some nervous cats this week...including the big fat cat himself.

Gallup poll numbers are very near all time lows for SCROTUS and he is looking for a way to turn those puppies around.  Going to be tough to do when Donnie keeps stepping in dog poop 24 x 7.

Who wants Sara FC Huckabee's job this week?  Volunteers....anybody? Don't be shy...

Maybe Eric Bolling will work for Donnie now.  That would give the women at FOX a break from his sexual harassment.....and the White House would provide Eric a new hunting ground.  Stranger things have happened.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: August 14, 2017, 11:09:37 AM »
As fallout from Charlottesville, pressure is growing for Trump to fire Bannon:

Title: "Is Steve Bannon Toast? #FireBannon Trends As Pressure On Trump Grows"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-fire-steven-bannon_us_599111bbe4b090964297ec8f
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: August 14, 2017, 03:38:57 PM »
One of the most accurate statements from this past weekend came from John Oliver:  "Nazi's are a lot like cats.  If they like you, it's probably because you are feeding them."

And Donald continues to feed the alt right...and white suppremesist groups by not calling them out.

Gorka, Miller, and Bannon will continue to weigh on Donnie as long as he keeps them on board.  Eventually...they will drive others in the admin out until they are all gone.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 02:53:53 AM by Buddy »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: August 14, 2017, 06:51:38 PM »
Dear Donnie:

It's too late.  It took you two days to comment on something that should have taken you 30 seconds to comment on two days ago.  Nice act......good acting.  But way too late....and still too little.

Get rid of Bannon.....Gorka.....and Miller.....NOW.  They are racists.......through and through.....and should have no place in our government.  FIRE THEM NOW.

You are a shameful excuse for a human being.....and I look forward to the day that is coming for you....and that is when you are booted out of office.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 07:13:53 PM by Buddy »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: August 14, 2017, 07:14:04 PM »
Gallup poll is now at 61% disapprove and 34% approve.  Both new record levels.  They will get worse in the future.....but keep in mind that it will be a winding/bouncing road.  But he's heading under 30% approval by next year.

It took Donnie 15 minutes to tweet about the Merc CEO leaving as an advisor.  But it takes 2 days for Donnie to have Stephen Miller work up a short speech of lies.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: August 14, 2017, 11:28:29 PM »
The Washington Post noted that it has been 179 days since Donnie has held a press conference.  Let that sink in for a minute.  179 days.  What is he hiding from....?

Tick.....tick......tick......Donnie.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: August 15, 2017, 12:02:26 AM »
It is starting to look like Trump thinks that his 'magic bullet' is to turn the rule of the civil government over to the generals:

Title: "Trump’s Generals Are Trying to Save the World. Starting With the White House."

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/08/04/donald-trump-generals-mattis-mcmaster-kelly-flynn-215455

Extract: "The president has handed huge power to a group of military officers, and they’re out to solve two big problems: Obama's policies, and their boss."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: August 15, 2017, 12:29:46 AM »
David Duke thinks that he can lean on Trump the way that Trump thought that he could lean on Comey:

Title: "Ex-KKK Leader David Duke Has Meltdown After Trump Condemns White Supremacists In Charlottesville"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/david-duke-trump-charlottesville_us_5991d6bae4b08a2472764798

Extract: "“President Trump, please, for God’s sake, don’t feel like you need to say these things. It’s not going to do you any good.”"
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2715 on: August 15, 2017, 01:22:25 AM »
Apparently to show that Donnie is a racist pig....Donnie is considering the pardon of Sheriff Arpaio from Arizona.  I guess this is likely a signal to his dwindling band of followers:

"When I called out racism today....I was just kidding.  Sheriff Arpaio and FOX News, you're still my racist friends.  Your pal.....Donnie"

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 01:37:17 AM by Buddy »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: August 15, 2017, 02:16:30 PM »
Will Donnie dump Gorka, Bannon, and Miller...... or will he continue let them weigh him down in the polls?  He's going to have to choose.  Three CEO's have already left his business advisory council.  If Donnie continues to make unforced errors.....as I expect he will.....he will lose more of them.

I will be SHOCKED if Donnie doesn't lose a couple of cabinet members fairly soon if Donnie doesn't get rid of a couple of the "bigoted three".  Firing Gorka is a layup.....and Bannon is pretty close to that.  But Donnie is prone to missing layups....so he could do it again.

What if Donnie were instead to fire McMaster instead of Bannon?  I don't know if Donnie is THAT stupid.....but let's face it:  Donnie has managed to limbo UNDER my incredibly low expectations for him....so anything is possible.  Between RussiaGate, cabinet dysfunction, debt ceiling, and trying to get tax reductions/tax reform......there is going to be a LOT of pressure on Donnie.  And you know what happens when there is a lot of pressure on Donnie:  Something is bound to hit the fan.  We just don't know what it is going to be....

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: August 15, 2017, 10:45:35 PM »
WOW Donnie.....  I thought you had a bad weekend....but today, I think you topped your weekend.😳  If you're going to be a racist pig, you may as well go "all in."🐖

Well..... CEO's will now be lining up to leave his business advisory group (again).  Cabinet members...this afternoons boondoggle could start to push Kelly, Mattis, and Nikki Haley closer to the door.  THIS is the point of no return for Donnie.  He pushed in his whole stack of chips into the pot..and everyone at the table knows that all he has is a "9 high".  Not good Donnie....not good.🎲🎲
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 11:08:10 PM by Buddy »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: August 16, 2017, 04:24:19 AM »
See what I mean about pressure causing mistakes?  That was the biggest meltdown I have ever seen in politics.   THAT....was epic.  I also think it is something he can not recover from.  In the new version of Webster's Dictionary under "meltdown"....they will insert:  "see Donald Trump."

That may have played well in Alabama or Mississippi or Oklahoma.....but I detect a lot of nervous Republicans right now.  I wonder if Teddy (Cruz) is thinking he maybe shouldn't have supported Trump after Donnie trashed Ted's father AND wife.  Wise decision there Teddy..

Did I tell you that I'm sure glad Hillary didn't win?  The stability of Donnie makes me all warm and fuzzy.😳

By the way......if you're now thinking:  "How much worse can this get?"  I have two words for you:  MUCH WORSE.  Soon.....it will be "Mueller time."
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 07:15:28 PM by Buddy »

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2719 on: August 16, 2017, 04:37:33 AM »
Today was one of the most, if not the most, shameful days of the Trump presidency.  Anyone continuing to serve as an apologist or make excuses for the man, or suggest that it's preferable he remain in power, needs to step back and reexamine their own sense of decency and humanity.

Saying this as someone whose family lost sons in the fights against both the Confederates and the Nazis.

Well Grand Wizard Trump has managed to descend deeper into the abyss.  Beyond hang wringing and harshly worded statements, Republicans are unlikely to do anything in response, as he is articulating what many of them manage to keep unspoken.

This is only going to get worse over the coming weeks, as September presents significant legislative challenges, and as the pressure from Mueller continues to build.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: August 16, 2017, 02:40:21 PM »
Here are a few things we will learn in the coming days and next couple of weeks:

1). Which cabinet members have any semblance of ethics.....and which ones don't.  Who is going to say:  "I can not in good conscience serve a racist.....and I instead choose to point out that this president is not fit to serve as leader of the United States."

Is there anyone in the cabinet that will do so?  We'll find out.  I know MOST of Donnie's cabinet have no ethics.....so I expect most of them to do nothing.  Manuchin, Ross, Perry, Elanna Choa......no ethics.  I expect them to stand pat.  I'll be watching the three I've mentioned before.

2). Ditto for corporate America.  Who is going to stand tall.....and who is going to be small?

3). What is the reaction going to be from foreign governments?  Who is going to openly condemn Donnie and his remarks?

4). Who in the US Congress is going to fully expose themselves by not speaking out forcefully against Donnie?  There are likely to be more than you might expect.  There are a lot of closet racists in the US Congress.

5). Who in the Republican Party is going to start talking about impeachment?  Remember.....this is a process....but Donnie's off the rail remarks last night has taken it to a new level.  And we haven't moved into the really corrupt stuff that Mueller is going to expose yet.

Martin Gisser

« Reply #2721 on: August 16, 2017, 03:00:56 PM »
I was ranting about Trump and white trash... and now Trump needs to confirm it!

Which reminds me of the first modern edition I saw of Hitler's book Mein Kampf (quite a lousy if not ridiculous book, my Grandpa left me one). It was an english translation, on the small bookshelf of a high school buddy in New Jersey, 1982.

logicmanPatrick

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • The Chatter Box
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2722 on: August 16, 2017, 03:21:42 PM »
I feel so left out.   :'(

All I keep hearing is Trump, Kim ... Trump, Kim.  ::)

Look, here in England we got nukes too, and a not too sane PM.  How come Trump isn't threatening London with fire and fury?  His failure to so threaten can only be explained by assuming that he is completely irrational.  Sad.

Facetiousness aside, there's a real point here.  The N Korean rhetoric has long been utterly over the top.  But concrete actions to me seem completely rational -- to the sole aim of preserving the Kim family's permanent status.  The nation has nothing of note except a massive military, there for deterrence.  I see no reason to think that their nukes are intended for anything other than deterrence.  Even the crazy rhetoric serves to convince everyone that the military force will be used vigorously if a serious threat to the regime arises.

In this context, it seems to me it is likely much less dangerous for N Korea to have nukes than for Pakistan to have nukes.  Pakistan's government is far less stable, and it's plausible that one or another extremist element could take charge, and maybe actually be crazy enough to use the nukes.

Yet the US is now obsessing over N Korea's capabilities, while not giving even a passing thought to Pakistan's.  If anything, it ought to be the other way around.

Facetiousness (almost) aside: by jove!  I think he's got it!

Yes.  My point exactly.  To pick on one nuclear state merely because the DTs of this planet don't like their politics/haircut/big hands is irrational.
si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: August 16, 2017, 03:23:31 PM »
I have heard from a good source....that FOX is once again thinking of changing their tag line:

FOX News:  "The Klan Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead." 😳

I guess they are thinking....."why limit it to Donnie when we should include all of our racist brothers and sisters like Sean Hannity, Tucker Carlson, Eric Bolling, and Stuart Varney?"

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: August 16, 2017, 03:50:31 PM »
Trump has set a new standard for 'othering', including exposing future generations to greater impacts from climate change and sea level rise:

Title: "Trump Signs Order Rolling Back Environmental Rules on Infrastructure

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/15/climate/flooding-infrastructure-climate-change-trump-obama.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fclimate&_r=0

Extract: "President Trump announced on Tuesday that he had signed a sweeping executive order to eliminate and streamline some permitting regulations and to speed construction of roads, bridges and pipelines, declaring that the moves would fix a “badly broken” infrastructure system in America and bring manufacturing jobs back to the country.

In an explosive news conference overshadowed by questions about his response to a white nationalist rally over the weekend in Charlottesville, Va., Mr. Trump tried several times to steer the conversation back to infrastructure.

A key element of the new executive order rolls back standards set by former President Barack Obama that required the federal government to account for climate change and sea-level rise when building infrastructure."
― Leon C. Megginson

Martin Gisser

« Reply #2725 on: August 16, 2017, 04:49:32 PM »
Michael Moore's recent best:
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2017/08/15/michael-moore-dont-lose-sight-horror-trump-inflicts-every-single-day
(One goodie at the beginning about the rise of U.S. Nazis late 1970ies/1980ies in Michigan. Seems my NJ Mein Kampf buddy back then was as avantgarde as he pretended.)

---------------------
Apropos MSNBC's "The Last Word With Lawrence O'Donnell". The other hardcore show  ;) before is Rachel Maddow. From both last night:

Trump remarks on racist rally force moral reckoning for GOP:
http://player.theplatform.com/p/7wvmTC/MSNBCEmbeddedOffSite?guid=n_maddow_dschmidt_170815

Could Trump's comments lead to a GOP presidential primary?
http://player.theplatform.com/p/7wvmTC/MSNBCEmbeddedOffSite?guid=n_lw_bprimary_170815

First, from Rachels interview with a seasoned GOP strategist, this could well be a breakpoint for what is left of a serious GOP.
Second, at the end of a O'Donnell interview with yet another GOPer, there is serious party rebellion in the making. Tears almost flowing in another interview.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 05:59:28 PM by Martin Gisser »

Martin Gisser

« Reply #2726 on: August 16, 2017, 05:11:44 PM »
So, grab more popcorn.
Slowly methinks 2016/17/18 is the wreckage not of the D, but of the R party... and now, moral wreckage reckoning (who was Abe Lincoln?)... some Rs can't stand it anymore.

Maybe the GOP isn't yet completely rotten.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 06:08:15 PM by Martin Gisser »

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2727 on: August 16, 2017, 06:04:49 PM »

Which reminds me of the first modern edition I saw of Hitler's book Mein Kampf (quite a lousy if not ridiculous book, my Grandpa left me one). It was an english translation, on the small bookshelf of a high school buddy in New Jersey, 1982.

Mine is a 1,003 page annotated English edition from 1939 that proudly claims not to have paid the nefarious author a nickel. Plenty of maps and pages of refutations per paragraph of statement.
Gifted to my father from my mother on xmas of 39, while he was still her chief chemist.

What a strange gift to an employee, a prospective mate, or a friend at the tail end of a long depression. I never knew either parent as having strong political feelings and was sometimes embarrassed by my mothers anti-Semitic bent. She fondly remembered Al Jolson as a family friend & neighbor, but would complain of sharp business dealings as just too "Jewy, Jewy, Jewy".
Perhaps she was just a product of her time.

Terry

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: August 16, 2017, 07:42:52 PM »
I see that Donnie has ended his two "business councils".  Remember yesterday in one of his tweets he said "he would has two companies to replace every company that leaves."  Well...apparently that is another in a long list of lies.  They all would have left him if he didn't disband.  Campbells and 3M left earlier this morning.  Either he disbands them.....or they would have disbanded him.

Now comes people leaving from his cabinet.  He already has had to promote a 28 year old to the Communications Director position who has NO political experience other than his campaign.

Who is going to be first out of the cabinet?  Donnie is in the process of having his small testicles removed in agonizingly little bits.  Not only is his power being taken away.....his authority is being eroded as well.

He is likely going to do something stupid (I know....shocking🙀) in the days/weeks/months ahead.  Congress is taking away Donnie's ability to fire Mueller (although I don't think that is a "done deal" yet).  But it is in Donnie's DNA to lash out....so I know something is coming.  Wait till a couple of cabinet members leave.  Keep the red button away from Donnie.

Tick.....tick......tick......Donnie.  Time is flying by.....

PS. Carrier just sent in their resignation....AFTER the business group had been disbanded.  I guess they wanted to make sure they are on the list of people/companies that think Donnie is an absolute dick. 

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #2729 on: August 16, 2017, 11:09:03 PM »
John Harwood:  Trump staff have been asked to "save America from this president" by remaining.

The view from the White House is a lonely one as the business community abandons Trump
As business leaders abandon President Donald Trump's business councils, the White House faces a host of challenges.
Business support was seen as greasing the wheels of the GOP agenda.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/16/the-view-from-the-white-house-is-a-lonely-one-as-the-business-community-abandons-trump.html
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Martin Gisser

« Reply #2730 on: August 16, 2017, 11:54:24 PM »

Mine is a 1,003 page annotated English edition from 1939 that proudly claims not to have paid the nefarious author a nickel. Plenty of maps and pages of refutations per paragraph of statement.
Gifted to my father from my mother on xmas of 39, while he was still her chief chemist.

What a strange gift to an employee, a prospective mate, or a friend at the tail end of a long depression. I never knew either parent as having strong political feelings and was sometimes embarrassed by my mothers anti-Semitic bent. She fondly remembered Al Jolson as a family friend & neighbor, but would complain of sharp business dealings as just too "Jewy, Jewy, Jewy".

Terry
Sweet story!  :)
I guess I understand your mother. What gift for a chief chemist? Either some weird schnapps, or some weighty book. But what book and how to decide. Chief scientist might find it wrong. Or, boring. He should at least not find it boring...

P.S.: Maybe it was a highly intelligent and politically informed crypto marriage proposal!?  My M-grandparents got their book as a standard gift from the state for their marriage, ca. 1936. Maybe your mother knew about that?

Didn't know such a huge english volume exists. (Could have needed it back then, when my grandpa's nazi buddies were around (original ex nazi men, incl. Waffen SS, busily denying Auschwitz stuff at the beer table, until their last days...). Opa himself, never ever had any dealings with the Nazi party. Plus he didn't have to go to war, important handyman at the chemical factory, doing anti-air gun service instead (like J Ratzinger did for the same factory, 5km away). Lucky man... The house he was allowed to build right after war even got some important tubes from the factory, which should have gone to Russia instead, hahaha. Hmmm, plus lots of bricks from luckily not blood stained buildings of a forced labor camp extension they never finished. Grandma sometimes sneaked them bread when they where marched by (I still have a letter from one prisoner). ... Spending a last year at that place, before the house gets torn down...)

Hmmm, maybe the book I've seen 1982 was a reprint? I remember a kinda fat paperback, perhaps more mass than the plain German original. Shouldn't have looked away.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 12:04:57 AM by Martin Gisser »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: August 17, 2017, 01:23:31 AM »
Donnie just can't help himself.  If he's talking....there is a very good chance that he is lying.

Today Trump tweeted that he was disbanding the two business councils.  That was a lie.  Steve Schwartzman...head of one of the business councils called Trump to TELL HIM that the business council was disbanding...and Schwartzman told Trump it was because of his actions regarding the way that Trump handled the fiasco in Virginia.

Trump just can't stop lying.....and this will continue to wear down his declining support.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #2732 on: August 17, 2017, 11:22:10 AM »
PREDICTION: Trump Will Resign In Disgrace...Soon

! No longer available
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: August 17, 2017, 02:05:11 PM »
Trump won't resign until enough of his cabinet leave him.  And it also depends who would leave him.  If Kelly and Nikki Haley BOTH left......that would be a big blow.  If Mattis left.....that would be a huge blow.  If all 3 were to leave......THAT would likely push Donnie over the edge.  Mattis may feel like he can't leave because it would leave the country vulnerable.  Kelly is not in the same position as Mattis. 

I don't see Donnie resigning until enough of his administration starts to leave. 

Many months ago I said this would be a process.  The media would move from casting doubt on what Trump says....to full throated calling him a liar.  We're "there" now.   That process has moved faster than I thought I would.....a testament to just how stupid Donnie is (and perhaps me as well☹️).

The process of Congressmen leaving.....especially the Republicans.....is moving about as expected.....SLOWLY.  And you will find that their movement will follow the polls.  If Donnie's poll numbers drop.....Republicans will continue to slowly move away from the herd.🐘🐘🐘🐘 When Donnie's poll numbers get closer to 30% .......you're going to have more Congressmen thinking about self preservation.  If the numbers get below 30% they will be releasing the life boats aggressively as the ship takes on water.🛳

The process of people leaving his administration is also a process.  There are....no doubt....some people who are having serious doubts now.  Who is going to be the first major position to leave voluntarily?  It will be interesting to follow.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 05:50:40 PM by Buddy »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #2734 on: August 17, 2017, 05:45:33 PM »
Democrats in Congress Explore Creating an Expert Panel on Trump’s Mental Health
There is also a bill aimed at establishing a “commission on presidential capacity”
“The role of honor or, rather, perceived humiliation is often overlooked as a powerful stimulant of international violence,” they write, adding that the “president may not have the capacity to consider an array of possible choices, due to his own emotional needs.” They ask Congress to “take immediate steps to establish a commission to determine his fitness for office.”
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/democrats-in-congress-explore-creating-an-expert-panel-on-trump-rsquo-s-mental-health/
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: August 17, 2017, 06:40:26 PM »
The linked Alternet article makes the case that Trump is too afraid of backlash from the 'white male privilege' group(s) to fire Bannon anytime soon:

Title: "Donald Trump Is Afraid of Steve Bannon, and That's Why He Won't Fire Him: Report"

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/trump-scared-steve-bannon

Extract: "If the president fires his political strategist, he could lose support from angry white nationalists."
― Leon C. Megginson

Rippleillusion

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2736 on: August 17, 2017, 08:10:45 PM »
You guys see the Steve Bannon interview? This just gets more delicious with each passing hour! Honestly I wonder if his team actually looks at each other, let alone talks about what they want to do. This is downright pathetic honestly.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: August 17, 2017, 08:38:49 PM »
You guys see the Steve Bannon interview? This just gets more delicious with each passing hour! Honestly I wonder if his team actually looks at each other, let alone talks about what they want to do. This is downright pathetic honestly.

I guess that you mean the linked article entitled: "Steve Bannon, Unrepentant"

http://prospect.org/article/steve-bannon-unrepentant

Extract: "Trump’s embattled strategist phones me, unbidden, to opine on China, Korea, and his enemies in the administration.

“We’re at economic war with China,” he added. “It’s in all their literature. They’re not shy about saying what they’re doing. One of us is going to be a hegemon in 25 or 30 years and it’s gonna be them if we go down this path. On Korea, they’re just tapping us along. It’s just a sideshow.”

Contrary to Trump’s threat of fire and fury, Bannon said: “There’s no military solution [to North Korea’s nuclear threats], forget it. Until somebody solves the part of the equation that shows me that ten million people in Seoul don’t die in the first 30 minutes from conventional weapons, I don’t know what you’re talking about, there’s no military solution here, they got us.” Bannon went on to describe his battle inside the administration to take a harder line on China trade, and not to fall into a trap of wishful thinking in which complaints against China’s trade practices now had to take a backseat to the hope that China, as honest broker, would help restrain Kim.

But what about his internal adversaries, at the departments of State and Defense, who think the United States can enlist Beijing’s aid on the North Korean standoff, and at Treasury and the National Economic Council who don’t want to mess with the trading system?

“Oh, they’re wetting themselves,” he said, explaining that the Section 301 complaint, which was put on hold when the war of threats with North Korea broke out, was shelved only temporarily, and will be revived in three weeks. As for other cabinet departments, Bannon has big plans to marginalize their influence.

Bannon explained that his strategy is to battle the trade doves inside the administration while building an outside coalition of trade hawks that includes left as well as right.

He dismissed the far right as irrelevant and sidestepped his own role in cultivating it: “Ethno-nationalism—it's losers. It's a fringe element. I think the media plays it up too much, and we gotta help crush it, you know, uh, help crush it more.”

“The Democrats,” he said, “the longer they talk about identity politics, I got ’em. I want them to talk about racism every day. If the left is focused on race and identity, and we go with economic nationalism, we can crush the Democrats.”"
― Leon C. Megginson

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2738 on: August 17, 2017, 08:39:56 PM »

Terry
Sweet story!  :)
I guess I understand your mother. What gift for a chief chemist? Either some weird schnapps, or some weighty book. But what book and how to decide. Chief scientist might find it wrong. Or, boring. He should at least not find it boring...

P.S.: Maybe it was a highly intelligent and politically informed crypto marriage proposal!?  My M-grandparents got their book as a standard gift from the state for their marriage, ca. 1936. Maybe your mother knew about that?

Didn't know such a huge english volume exists. (Could have needed it back then, when my grandpa's nazi buddies were around (original ex nazi men, incl. Waffen SS, busily denying Auschwitz stuff at the beer table, until their last days...). Opa himself, never ever had any dealings with the Nazi party. Plus he didn't have to go to war, important handyman at the chemical factory, doing anti-air gun service instead (like J Ratzinger did for the same factory, 5km away). Lucky man... The house he was allowed to build right after war even got some important tubes from the factory, which should have gone to Russia instead, hahaha. Hmmm, plus lots of bricks from luckily not blood stained buildings of a forced labor camp extension they never finished. Grandma sometimes sneaked them bread when they where marched by (I still have a letter from one prisoner). ... Spending a last year at that place, before the house gets torn down...)

Hmmm, maybe the book I've seen 1982 was a reprint? I remember a kinda fat paperback, perhaps more mass than the plain German original. Shouldn't have looked away.

Thanks Martin

I'm afraid we've drifted far from our topic, but I really did appreciate your response.
Terry

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: August 17, 2017, 09:24:19 PM »
When you have a repulsive, incompetent leader like Trump.....a lot of his hires will be.....surprise, surprise.....incompetent or repulsive individuals themselves:  Gov Perry, DeVoss, Bannon, Miller, Wilbur Ross, etc.  Other than the Generals....I wouldn't want any of them.  Look at his communication team...YIKKKS.

Banon is a known cray-cray from Breitbart News.  The thing that surprises me isn't how horrible Trump is doing.  I knew he was horrible BEFORE he was elected.  The thing that surprises me is how many people are surprised by how horrible Trump is.  THAT surprises me...

If you have a bad coach......who is a proven dickhead......it has always been just a matter of time until the team crashes and burns.  And it will continue until there is a new coach AND better hires.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: August 18, 2017, 02:07:12 AM »
There is now an APB (police talk for All Points Bulletin) out for KellyAnne Conway and Sara Huckabee.

Clearly they have been abducted by aliens OR by Ted Cruz (in order to use them for his next presidential run in 2020.....AFTER he loses his senate race in 2018).

They have not been seen in a week....and the 🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈 and 🐊🐊🐊🐊🐊 have been circling for days now.  Where HAVE they gone?  Vacation no doubt...timely.  Sharks and gators are going to be hungry when they return.  I wonder why Hope Hicks just didn't handle things on the communication side?  Donnie is going to need  LOT of hope to get through this mess.  Knowing Donnie....he probably has already had a lot of Hope.😉

JMP

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #2741 on: August 18, 2017, 04:30:28 AM »
The reason for their disappearance though is simple, I imagine. Trump is sooo far off the rails that any, ANY! further comment could only call more attention to the increasing fiasco that is their beloved leader.   So, I'm sure that John Kelley is doing his best to keep everyone quiet, isolating Trump, hoping things will calm down. 

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: August 18, 2017, 01:19:38 PM »
It looks we have entered the next phase of Donnie's demise.  We have entered the shaming and heavy mocking phase.  All the Kings clothes have been removed....and the world is now openly mocking him.

We still aren't to the "get out of Dodge" phase where people start to get off the Titanic.  Even FOX News has begun to distance themselves from the person they openly lied for the last 2 years.  FOX...Donnie is all YOURS.  You....Sean Hannity....Bill O'Reilly.....Eric "fast hands" Bolling..... Donnie Boy is all yours.

Between lying about the worst presidential candidate in history.....and lying for 20 years about global warming......FOX, you have really screwed the pooch.  You are not a news channel....you are a lie factory.....and I hope that everyone here continues to point out these two major lies continually put forward by FOX. 

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: August 18, 2017, 04:52:20 PM »
Maybe Trump will give the nation a nice Christmas present and resign before the end of the year as forecast by Tony Schwartz:

'Art of the Deal' Ghostwriter Thinks President Trump Will Resign Before the End of the Year

http://time.com/4906262/art-of-the-deal-ghostwriter-trump-resign/

Extract: "The ghostwriter of Donald Trump's famous memoir The Art of the Deal doubled down on his prediction that Trump will resign the presidency before the end of the year.

"The snowball is beginning to gather momentum as it comes down the mountain," Tony Schwartz told Anderson Cooper on CNN Thursday. "It reminds me a lot of Watergate and the last days of Nixon... He's put himself in an isolated, no-win position. The level of his destructiveness is staggering.""
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: August 18, 2017, 06:31:35 PM »
Rumor has it that Barron is thinking of leaving Donald.  Donald's Art's Council folded up shop today.....so young Barron apparently doesn't want to be the last one out the door.  If Donnie were to get 2 or 3 cabinet members to hit the eject button.....that might do the trick if they were the right ones.

The Next month should be entertaining.  Soak it up.....this is history in the making and you can tell your kids and grand kids some great stories in future years. :o
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 08:34:27 PM by Buddy »

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2745 on: August 18, 2017, 07:32:57 PM »
It looks like Bannon may be out soon:

Title: "Trump Tells Aides He Has Decided to Remove Stephen Bannon"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/18/us/politics/steve-bannon-trump-white-house.html

Extract: "President Trump has told senior aides that he has decided to remove Stephen K. Bannon, the embattled White House chief strategist who helped Mr. Trump win the 2016 election, according to two administration officials briefed on the discussion.

The president and senior White House officials were debating when and how to dismiss Mr. Bannon. The two administration officials cautioned that Mr. Trump is known to be averse to confrontation within his inner circle, and could decide to keep on Mr. Bannon for some time.

As of Friday morning, the two men were still discussing Mr. Bannon’s future, the officials said. A person close to Mr. Bannon insisted the parting of ways was his idea, and that he had submitted his resignation to the president on Aug. 7, to be announced at the start of this week, but the move was delayed after the racial unrest in Charlottesville, Va."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: August 18, 2017, 07:36:44 PM »
Apparently, today is Bannon's last day:

Title: "Steve Bannon’s exit from the Trump White House, explained"

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/8/18/16145188/steve-bannon-fired-resigns

Extract: "Stephen K. Bannon, the president’s chief strategist and one of his most controversial advisers, is exiting the Trump administration after a tumultuous seven-month stint. The White House released a statement Friday saying that Bannon and White House chief of staff John Kelly had “mutually agreed” that this would be Bannon’s last day in his job."
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: August 18, 2017, 10:08:12 PM »
Will Kelly push to have Ivanka and Jerrod quit?  If I were Kelly....I would either ask that they resign...or I would resign.  Kelly has a lot of leverage right now....AND nothing to lose.  Ivanka and Jerrod are as worthless as Donnie....and they are weights on Trump.  Gorka and Miller could be toast as well.  The question would then become could a CLOWN survive at the top spot?

NO.  Not this clown.  This is a lying corrupt clown 🤡.....the worst kind.  The kind that can't survive Mueller Time.🍺

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: August 18, 2017, 10:14:44 PM »
Per Axios, Bannon & Breitbart are preparing to go "thermonuclear" against the "globalist" 'cabal' within the White House:

Title: "Bannon, backed by billionaire, prepares to go to war"

https://www.axios.com/bannons-next-move-2474479917.html

Extract:
•   "A source familiar with Breitbart's operations told me they would go "thermonuclear" against "globalists" that Bannon and his friends believe are ruining the Trump administration, and by extension, America.

•   Watch for Breitbart's Washington Editor Matt Boyle to be a central figure in this war — which has already begun — against White House officials like HR McMaster, Dina Powell, Gary Cohn, and Jared and Ivanka."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: August 19, 2017, 12:02:57 AM »
Now that we know that Bannon will be returning to Breitbart, the linked Salon article gives us some idea of his plan to rebrand the alt-right movement as a "… thinking man's Nazi movement":

Title: "Welcome to the Breitbart era: Steve Bannon’s former site is the new monarch of right-wing media"

http://www.salon.com/2017/08/18/welcome-to-the-breitbart-era-steve-bannons-former-site-is-the-new-monarch-of-right-wing-media/

Extract: "When Bannon was the publisher of Breitbart News he oversaw the publication of the manifesto for what Taibbi describes as the” snooty, college-based wing of the racialist right Bannon leads … the thinking man’s Nazi movement” called  “The Establishment Conservative’s Guide to the Alt-Right.” Bannon knows which side his swastika is buttered on. Insulting the “low-IQ thugs” of the neo-fascist right may best be seen as his own version of Bill Clinton’s Sistah Souljah moment."
― Leon C. Megginson