Please support this Forum and Neven's Blog

Author Topic: The Nares Strait thread  (Read 272846 times)

Tor Bejnar

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
Re: The Nares Strait thread
« Reply #1000 on: April 16, 2017, 10:36:08 PM »
I think that's out of the new ice in the "polynya" which is breaking up. If you look carefully you can see the outline of the original boot arch which is bigger.

Agreed. ...

Here are the DMI Sentinel images of April 6 & 12 showing this.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 10:49:02 PM by Tor Bejnar »
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things.

Tor Bejnar

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: April 16, 2017, 10:42:29 PM »
The 'last Arctic Ocean ice' to break off the Lincoln Sea bridge (that broke off about March 5) was in Kane Basin on April 14.

Very nearly all the ice around it, all the way upstream to the Lincoln Sea bridge, is ice that froze in Nares Strait (or the little piece of Lincoln Sea below the bridge) since early February (when 1- the bridge formed and 2- virtually all the non-fast ice in the Strait flushed out within 10 days).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 10:54:23 PM by Tor Bejnar »

gerontocrat

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: April 18, 2017, 07:07:39 PM »
According to Jaxa, what a lot of sea ice drift in Baffin bay and Davis Strait + very thin low concentration ice in the Nares Strait

Tor Bejnar

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: April 18, 2017, 08:59:31 PM »
The 'last Arctic Ocean ice' to break off the Lincoln Sea bridge (that broke off about March 5) was in Kane Basin on April 14.

Exit, stage left.  The March 5 floe has now all-but-exited Nares Strait, depending on where you draw the line between Smith Sound and Baffin Bay. March 5 to April 18 = 44 days.  Curious that the previous identifiable floe we watched took 10 days in early February. (Screen shot from PolarView.)

Tor Bejnar

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: April 19, 2017, 07:31:28 PM »
The Lincoln Sea ("foot") bridge lost some of it's edge (or "cleaned up its act" or "got more space for the toes") sometime between 6 pm yesterday and noon today (probably GMT).  Along with some of the fast ice that grew on the bridge, some slivers (smaller than the March 5 floe) peeled off the bridge near the Ellesmere side.  You can contrast the edge with the image posted on April 16. (image from Polar View)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 07:48:57 PM by Tor Bejnar »

Tor Bejnar

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: April 19, 2017, 07:54:58 PM »
The March 5 floe is definitely in Baffin Bay now, broken hearted, well, at least broken.  It was fun while it lasted.  I'm curious why it broke now. [my post #1111 - a duplicative milestone]

mati

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: April 19, 2017, 10:56:08 PM »
lovin' the boot
lol can't belive the moniker stuck, but i'm happy :O
having a bunion, i hope the boot does not fall to one
and so it goes

oren

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: April 19, 2017, 11:30:57 PM »
Here's a quick animation of Apr 18 and 19. The ice is more broken, the cracks are getting closer to the "arch" while the newer ice inside the arch falls away.
I would not be surprised to see the arch crumbling within a few days under the stresses.  It's not a given but quite possible. And if it does go, I don't expect a new arch to form and stabilize as temps are going up already and the strait itself has been flushed away.