Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Canada military probes mysterious Arctic pinging noise  (Read 3102 times)

MrVisible

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 7
Canada military probes mysterious Arctic pinging noise
« on: November 05, 2016, 12:54:42 AM »
The pinging noise is reported by locals to have reverberated around Fury and Hecla Strait in a remote part of northern Canada.

The Canadian military has investigated a mysterious pinging sound coming from the sea floor in a remote region of the Arctic, officials have told the BBC.

The strange noise is reported by local people to have frightened animals away over the past few months.

Any ideas?

MrVisible

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 7

johnm33

Cate

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Canada military probes mysterious Arctic pinging noise
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 09:37:41 PM »
I shared this on my FB page a few days ago.

Suggestions included the Yellow Submarine, Captain Nemo, the Seaview, and either Russian or American submarines---but not Canadian subs, because none of ours work. All these ideas seemed about equally plausible to me. No-one mentioned methane seeps, though. Does methane ping or hum, perhaps? Maybe if it's squeeeeeezing through a little crack, like wind through the stretched neck of a balloon?

Perhaps a new research study is in order.

Pmt111500

Re: Canada military probes mysterious Arctic pinging noise
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 11:55:02 AM »
I think it's the Trump campaign searching for clues. Any clues. I base this on the fact that all sensible animals have fled the area in fear of getting shot. On the other hand, it might be the Clinton campaign searching for proofs. Any proofs. I base this on the fact that all sensible animals have fled the area in fear of being interrogated.