Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Dementia and car pollution  (Read 2958 times)

Gray-Wolf

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 131
  • Likes Given: 458
Dementia and car pollution
« on: November 14, 2016, 04:20:21 PM »
In the UK we had our 'cause of Death' stats released today and Dementia now tops the list ( taking over from heart disease).

Studies have shown magnetite nano particles in the brains of folk suffering/dying from Alzheimer's and both the engines and brakes of vehicles produce Magnetite nano particles.

We also are seeing an uptick in early onset Alzheimer's. Are the two things linked?

I was born in the early 60's and , along with the rest, we played out on the streets where we lived. Only occasionally were our 'football matches' interrupted by a car coming along. I visited that street a few years back ( showing my son where I grew up) and each side of the road was parked up solid and every front garden given over to parking.

So I'm thinking that anyone born after 1980 has lived immersed in the age of the automobile ( where most homes had at least 1 car?) and so has been taking up magnetite from cars/trucks/vans/busses all their lives? Could this point to why we see an uptick in early onset Alzheimer's with those 'prone' to suffering having their chances augmented by added magnetite in their brains from automobile pollution?
KOYAANISQATSI

ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
Re: Dementia and car pollution
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 04:40:25 PM »
Magnetite particles are also prevalent in air pollution from power plant smokestacks.

Industrial air pollution leaves magnetic waste in the brain
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/09/industrial-air-pollution-leaves-magnetic-waste-brain
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 09:38:33 PM »
Magnetite particles are also prevalent in air pollution from power plant smokestacks.

Industrial air pollution leaves magnetic waste in the brain
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/09/industrial-air-pollution-leaves-magnetic-waste-brain

I wonder if "down winders" intelligence is effected. Combined with lead poisoning from defective city plumbing it might explain away some of the disturbing results that The Bell Curve claims.

Terry

Paddy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 151
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 10:20:44 PM »
Another factor that's changed is that lifestyles have become more sedentary, and exercise is still pretty much the number one intervention proven to postpone dementia. So those kids that once played football in the street have been replaced by kids playing on game consoles. And many of their parents have commuted sitting down to a sit down day at work and sat in their cars all the way home to sit all evening in front of the TV again.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 10:38:54 PM by Paddy »

Richard Rathbone

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 387
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 12:36:36 PM »
Dementia rates are actually going down. It just gets put on death certificates more these days.

I'm not sure how widely available BBC radio programmes are, but it was featured on More or Less last week. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b082klf9