Please support this Forum and Neven's Blog

Author Topic: Seaweed found that eliminates cow methane release.  (Read 444 times)

morganism

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
Seaweed found that eliminates cow methane release.
« on: November 20, 2016, 10:50:21 PM »
"A P.E.I. farmer has helped lead to a researcher's discovery of an unlikely weapon in the battle against global warming: a seaweed that nearly eliminates the destructive methane content of cow burps and farts."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-cow-farting-1.3856202

"Ruminant animals are responsible for roughly 20 per cent of greenhouse gas emissions globally, so it's not a small number," said Kinley, an agricultural research scientist now working at the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation in Queensland, Australia.

"We're talking numbers equivalent to hundreds of millions of cars."

Kinley thinks it could take anywhere from three to five years to get a commercial animal feed to market. He says the biggest challenge will be growing enough seaweed.

"Agriculture stands to be one of the first to make major changes in the greenhouse gas inventory and so it's really a game changer if we can get this out into the market."

Bruce Steele

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
Re: Seaweed found that eliminates cow methane release.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 02:09:32 AM »
Morganism, I looked up the kelp ( Asparagopsis Taxiform ) mentioned in the above linked article.
I found another paper that seems to validate the claims about kelp additions to cattle feed eliminating methane production. Only two percent by weight required as a feed additive to achieve methane elimination.

http://www.publish.csiro.au/an/AN15576

I was asked recently about where a philanthropist might direct some money to directly address  climate change. Not education or research but boots on the ground mitigation. I wasn't able to immediately give any advice. Changing the methane production of cattle might fit the bill. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 03:13:01 AM by Bruce Steele »

morganism

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 01:25:06 AM »
Turns out, California just passed a law requiring a reduction in cow farts, so sent a link on to the website contact at bottom of this page. They had no method to induce this reduction, so maybe we will see some action there....

https://www.arb.ca.gov/cc/shortlived/shortlived.htm

GeoffBeacon

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 04:19:22 PM »
I'll follow this story with interest - and some skepticism.

The first linked article mentions a 20% reduction - that's nowhere near a effective as giving up beeef and dairy. 80% ruminants are still a disaster.

This sounds encouraging
Only two percent by weight required as a feed additive to achieve methane elimination

However, it's not been tried "in vitro".

Perhaps in years ahead (how many years?) humans will be able to consume beef and dairy and not screw the climate. Until that happens let's do the decent think and kill all the cows and eat them now.
Il faut cultiver notre cité-jardin
The Sustainable Plotlands Association