Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Arctic Café  (Read 722718 times)

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Arctic Café
« Reply #600 on: March 11, 2015, 10:12:26 PM »
Math Puzzle:

— If we reach 0 km2 ice extent this autumn and PIOMAS still reports 1000 km3 for the minimum when numbers are released in mid–October, and they base that on only one tiny ice–flake of 10 m diameter: A) How tall would that flake have to be? B) Would it affect the moon or other space bodies? C) Assuming the 10 m flake was in the deepest spot of the Arctic Ocean, what percentage would be under water, and what out in space?
[]

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #601 on: March 15, 2015, 10:40:32 AM »
Derrick Jensen great talk.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1675349405938763
I did share that on my timeline, most of what I post comes from here, so thanks everyone.
https://www.facebook.com/laurent.rouchairoles

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: March 15, 2015, 11:22:13 AM »
I stumbled on an other video on climate change :
What a Way to Go

That's a very amazing video...so dark...and at the same time such a beauty...essential, wonderful !
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 01:01:29 PM by Laurent »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #603 on: March 19, 2015, 11:10:50 PM »
The Best Sarcastic Ways To Protest   ;D

http://m.viralands.com/sarcastic-protest
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

DavidR

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 36
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #604 on: March 20, 2015, 05:58:53 AM »
Math Puzzle:

— If we reach 0 km2 ice extent this autumn and PIOMAS still reports 1000 km3 for the minimum when numbers are released in mid–October, and they base that on only one tiny ice–flake of 10 m diameter: A) How tall would that flake have to be? B) Would it affect the moon or other space bodies? C) Assuming the 10 m flake was in the deepest spot of the Arctic Ocean, what percentage would be under water, and what out in space?
1. Flake would be 12,500,000 km tall.
2. It wouldn't effect the moon because the moon doesn't orbit around the poles and the mas is negligible. It  wouldn't last long enough to bother anything else in space  because the first thing to  hit it would cause it to disintegrate.
3.  0.000% would be in the Arctic Ocean and 100.000% would be in space.
Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: March 20, 2015, 07:27:24 AM »
Thanks, DavidR! That's good to know  ;D
[]

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: March 23, 2015, 04:40:49 AM »
The real deception — or 'conspiracy', if you will — isn't that US generals decided in secret to deploy climate change to regime–change Beijing, which would be the silliest thing to do on a planet of abundant silliness, but that Obama and his chums — the so–called 'leaders' — care one iota about climate change and will honestly try to limit it at the Paris symposium or at any other so–called COP meeting. This new eco–mindedness is a show that the old one–percenters have decided to put on — for public consumption — to stop us from revolting in time against their (accidental) total destruction of the planet.

When I say 'accidental', it is because these forces, these very few people, relatively speaking, on top of the corporations that own the so–called 'leaders', are not intentionally planning for or wanting civilisational collapse. Rather, they are naive, stubborn old fools who think they can go on with their crazy fossil ways without anything cataclysmic ever happening to the earth or the biosphere. Or put in another way: They do not care. And it is most likely exactly their carelessness that is bringing down this planet.

Basically they think what evil capitalists have always thought: That the ocean is endless and air is free to pollute. The show they are putting on in Paris, though, is a well thought–out ploy to get us to think that they *do* care. You know: 'How could we not care when we explicitly say that we do care?'. Well, follow the money: It is *extremely* profitable at this stage for the one–percenters to put on a show where their puppets pretend to care. And therefore they do it. To make some more money.
[]

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: March 24, 2015, 01:37:58 AM »
The real deception — or 'conspiracy', if you will — isn't that US generals decided in secret to deploy climate change to regime–change Beijing, which would be the silliest thing to do on a planet of abundant silliness, but that Obama and his chums — the so–called 'leaders' — care one iota about climate change and will honestly try to limit it at the Paris symposium or at any other so–called COP meeting. This new eco–mindedness is a show that the old one–percenters have decided to put on — for public consumption — to stop us from revolting in time against their (accidental) total destruction of the planet.

I may modify this after having read JimD's excellent piece in the Silly Conspiracy Thread (to which I will provide no link). The change is this: Leaders *will* try to _limit_ climate change in Paris, but these limitations will be somewhere between the Black BAU and Green BAU persuasions.

I.e. way, way too slow. Not only too slow for *me* as an impatient individual, but also too slow for safeguarding humanity. Yes, as a species. Following the BAU lemming race path is like the Dodo birds deciding in a referendum to be hacked to death by sailors.

So in order to squeeze in a deception here, now that their "we will try to limit carbon emissions" is more truthful, albeit so slow as to essentially not really matter, we will have to include the setup of the IPCC, which is still the name of the UN climate panel. It can be argued that the IPCC and its findings were deceptively set up to provide a scientific basis for a Green BAU path that would better suit governments but be essentially inadequate as a solution to the problem.

There are many ways in which major powers have done this: Suffice to say, they control who sits in the panel, who edits reports, and what parts of those reports should see the light of day. It is a governmental, political body (so for once, I agree with the climate change deniers about something) that has nothing or very little to do with science (the way it was meant to be).

Having corrupted the IPCC to deliver more "pleasant" recommendations than a truly scientific body would do, polluticians can now honestly say they are doing their utmost to try to limit emissions in line with panel recommendations.

If you want an analogy for this tactic: Instead of just doing what his parents tell him to do, the teenager holds a gun to their head and asks them again:

— Mom, dad, what should I do today?
— Eat pizza and play more video game.
— All right!

This isn't doing what your folks told you to do, and polluticians are not doing what scientists tell them we need to do. They are doing what their own corrupted IPCC creation or Frankenstein monster tells them to do. They control both sides of the bargaining table, and are essentially telling themselves what to do, or like the teenager: Doing whatever they themselves wanted to do anyway (pizza & video games).
[]

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #608 on: March 25, 2015, 03:52:49 PM »
This was news to me.  One knows there are certain kinds of slavery going on out there, but I had never heard of this before.

BENJINA, Indonesia (AP) — The Burmese slaves sat on the floor and stared through the rusty bars of their locked cage, hidden on a tiny tropical island thousands of miles from home.

Just a few yards away, other workers loaded cargo ships with slave-caught seafood that clouds the supply networks of major supermarkets, restaurants and even pet stores in the United States.

Here, in the Indonesian island village of Benjina and the surrounding waters, hundreds of trapped men represent one of the most desperate links criss-crossing between companies and countries in the seafood industry. This intricate web of connections separates the fish we eat from the men who catch it, and obscures a brutal truth: Your seafood may come from slaves..

The men The Associated Press spoke to on Benjina were mostly from Myanmar, also known as Burma, one of the poorest countries in the world. They were brought to Indonesia through Thailand and forced to fish. Their catch was shipped back to Thailand, and then entered the global commerce stream.

Tainted fish can wind up in the supply chains of some of America's major grocery stores, such as Kroger, Albertsons and Safeway; the nation's largest retailer, Wal-Mart; and the biggest food distributor, Sysco. It can find its way into the supply chains of some of the most popular brands of canned pet food, including Fancy Feast, Meow Mix and Iams. It can turn up as calamari at fine dining restaurants, as imitation crab in a California sushi roll or as packages of frozen snapper relabeled with store brands that land on our dinner tables.

In a year-long investigation, the AP interviewed more than 40 current and former slaves in Benjina....

http://www.bigstory.ap.org/article/f73b30aacb8f4659ac337da17941a226/ap-investigation-slavery-taints-global-supply-seafood
We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable. Alexander Solzhenitsyn

How is it conceivable that all our technological progress - our very civilization - is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal? Albert Einstein

Ymir

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #609 on: March 26, 2015, 01:18:39 PM »
Hello all, discovered the forum a few days ago and have been lurking, decided to join in. There doesn't seem to be an introductions thread? I though this looked like the closest thing.

I'm male, 37, living in London, not a scientist, my BA was in English and Drama, background in education. Have been reading a lot about climate change/ocean acidification/mass species die off in the last year or so, this place looked like the discussions were reasonable and realistic, though I inevitably have limitied understanding of the science behind issues like ice melt and so on.

Do I have to type a screen capture and answer questions every time I post, or is it because I'm new? Do all posts have to be OKed by a mod before they go up, or again is it because I'm new?

Anne

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #610 on: March 26, 2015, 03:38:26 PM »
Environmental sound recordist Chris Watson captures fantastic noises of Antarctica:
What strikes most people when they first arrive in Antarctica is the quiet . "It's so quiet; its the only place in the world that you can actually hear Geology happening; all these processes that you're schooled to think take thousands and thousands of years, the movement of glaciers and the shifting of rocks ... And that's an amazing experience that process of the landscape changing" says Jeff Wilson, a Director on the BBC series Frozen Planet. And the sounds of 'geology happening' are captured in the first of a new series of NATURE by wildlife sound recordist Chris Watson. The sounds of the ice are astonishing; from the huge, powerful grinding and creaking sounds as glaciers calve or ice sheets buckle under pressure, to the delicate sounds of water lapping under thin sheets of sea ice or the tinkling sounds produced when fine needle-like ice crystals move in a breeze of volcanic gases inside an ice cave at the base of Erebus, Antarctica's most active volcano.

With contributions from some the team who worked on the BBC series, Frozen Planet, NATURE presents a journey in sound across this frozen landscape. Whilst above the ice, the landscape is quiet, below the ice the underwater world is full of sound; for example, Orcas (killer whales) use pulses of sound to navigate rather like bats and produce and squeaks and whistles to communicate with one another over vast distances, whilst Weddell seals produce the most hauntingly beautiful ascending and descending tones. Antarctica - frozen landscape, and surprising, mesmerizing, powerful and haunting soundscape.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b018wy4g

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #611 on: March 26, 2015, 11:34:43 PM »
Do I have to type a screen capture and answer questions every time I post, or is it because I'm new? Do all posts have to be OKed by a mod before they go up, or again is it because I'm new?

Hi Ymir, and welcome. You have to jump through hoops on your first three comments (anti-spam measure), unless I release your profile before that, which I'm going to do straight away.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

viddaloo

• Nilas ice
  • Hardanger Sometimes
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: March 31, 2015, 09:43:34 AM »
In Norwegian the word 'isfront' (icefront) is used about very cold relations between people. Just FYI.

[]

Ymir

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: March 31, 2015, 09:30:12 PM »

Hi Ymir, and welcome. You have to jump through hoops on your first three comments (anti-spam measure), unless I release your profile before that, which I'm going to do straight away.

Thank you.

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: March 31, 2015, 10:39:10 PM »
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 12:04:52 AM by Laurent »

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: April 07, 2015, 07:59:58 PM »
Pia Mancini: How to upgrade democracy for the Internet era

from
http://magazine.ouishare.net/2015/04/ouishare-fest-15-speakers-corner-pia-mancini/

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: April 10, 2015, 10:17:40 AM »
8 Ways that you can help save monarch butterflies

Read more: 8 Ways that you can help save monarch butterflies | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building

http://inhabitat.com/8-ways-that-you-can-help-save-monarch-butterflies/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: April 14, 2015, 01:36:45 PM »
If you think artificial food can't be made appealing, check out these plates!   ;D

This Guy is Plating Junk Food Like High End Cuisine and It’s Awesome
http://twistedsifter.com/2015/04/instagram-chef-plates-junk-food-like-high-end-cuisine/

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: April 15, 2015, 08:19:32 PM »
Leo DiCaprio: 'Unlocking Nature's Secrets Will Help Us Solve The Climate Crisis'
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/15/leo-dicaprio-climate_n_7056540.html?utm_hp_ref=green&ir=Green

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: April 17, 2015, 12:49:12 PM »
How Tech Companies Avoid Taxes Explained with Magic | Data Attack

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #621 on: April 20, 2015, 07:36:16 PM »
We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable. Alexander Solzhenitsyn

How is it conceivable that all our technological progress - our very civilization - is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal? Albert Einstein

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: April 25, 2015, 10:01:46 PM »
Symphony of the Soil

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: May 02, 2015, 11:55:56 AM »
Some infos on how to build in earthquake prone regions :
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnf4Z6Yq17hTmIceYdr7wijCRRnj906nv

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: May 08, 2015, 09:06:33 PM »
How beautiful and how small, our planet earth is...

5 human activities you can see from space
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNQ9z_Eb-Jc&feature=youtu.be

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: May 11, 2015, 03:31:02 PM »

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: May 15, 2015, 01:59:30 PM »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: May 19, 2015, 02:01:05 PM »
Fun interview with John Cook vs Dana Nuccitelli.  Included:  Scooters, cyborgs, and climastrology.

pikaia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 121
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #629 on: May 27, 2015, 10:55:06 AM »
Plans to send ice to Antarctica:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-32802588

Anne

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #630 on: May 27, 2015, 10:33:03 PM »
Alpine ice cores from melting glaziers will be stored in Antarctica for safe keeping, rather than in a cold store in Peterborough.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-32802588

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: May 28, 2015, 05:31:19 PM »

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: June 06, 2015, 03:11:57 PM »
Interesting article about the different compounds of fluorine
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-33021668

For more gazes : http://www.epa.gov/ozone/geninfo/gwps.html

lisa

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #633 on: June 14, 2015, 04:07:52 PM »
Is anyone having trouble signing in to the blog for comments?  I get a page that says the site is not secure and it directs me back to the blog.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #634 on: June 14, 2015, 07:11:01 PM »
Hi Lisa,

Others have had some trouble as well, as did I (I just made an exception). I asked Typepad about it and receved the following reply today:

We're actually working on correcting the TypeKey certificate issue
currently, and should have that sorted early this coming week. You can
hold off on adjusting your templates - once our fix is in place, it
should be fine.

In the meantime, you and your readers should be able to proceed by
accepting the certificate and add the exception. That will allow you to
view and make comments.

Problem will be fixed in a few days.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 99
« Reply #635 on: June 16, 2015, 11:15:02 PM »
Alphabet usually learn in elementary school, useful in communicating with other people.
Pope Francis encyclical June 18 2015 11:00, will talk about the alphabet useful in communicating with nature.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #636 on: June 16, 2015, 11:53:32 PM »
Di si, stari!  ;) ;D
The enemy is within

E. Smith

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: June 17, 2015, 01:07:37 AM »
Nigdje daleko  8)/ 8) uvijek blizo   2    1 ?

« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 01:19:42 AM by ivica »

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: June 18, 2015, 12:14:30 PM »
 8)

ENCYCLICAL LETTER
LAUDATO SI’
OF THE HOLY FATHER
FRANCIS
ON CARE FOR OUR COMMON HOME

1. “LAUDATO SI’, mi’ Signore” – “Praise be to you, my Lord”. In the words of this beautiful canticle, Saint Francis of Assisi reminds us that our common home is like a sister with whom we share our life and a beautiful mother who opens her arms to embrace us. “Praise be to you, my Lord, through our Sister, Mother Earth, who sustains and governs us, and who produces various fruit with coloured flowers and herbs”.[1]

2. This sister now cries out to us because of the harm we have inflicted on her by our irresponsible use and abuse of the goods with which God has endowed her. We have come to see ourselves as her lords and masters, entitled to plunder her at will. The violence present in our hearts, wounded by sin, is also reflected in the symptoms of sickness evident in the soil, in the water, in the air and in all forms of life. This is why the earth herself, burdened and laid waste, is among the most abandoned and maltreated of our poor; she “groans in travail” (Rom 8:22). We have forgotten that we ourselves are dust of the earth (cf. Gen 2:7); our very bodies are made up of her elements, we breathe her air and we receive life and refreshment from her waters.

Nothing in this world is indifferent to us

http://w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/encyclicals/documents/papa-francesco_20150524_enciclica-laudato-si.html

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 21, 2015, 10:12:13 PM »
Included: video of sunrise at Stonehenge.

First official day of summer: Questions and answers about the year’s longest day.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/06/20/summer-solstice-2015-five-questions-and-answers-about-the-longest-day-of-the-year/

johnm33

« Reply #640 on: June 23, 2015, 12:17:41 AM »
Speaks for itself

Clare

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #641 on: June 29, 2015, 02:47:45 AM »

Clare

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #642 on: July 03, 2015, 09:05:10 AM »
A Doctor 'story', I thought this quite cleverly written. (Well I do work for a doctor!)

"Planet Earth sits in the doctor's office nursing a high temperature. "You're very sick," says the doctor.
"I feel fine," says Planet Earth. A hacking cough follows. "Okay, I admit I'm a bit under the weather. I'm working on it. Changing light bulbs and stuff. It will sort itself out."
The doctor studies her notes on the computer screen. "No, it won't sort itself out. The tests are all saying the same thing. You have the worst carbon problem I have seen."

"Don't panic, Doc. I'm definitely aiming for a low carbon future. I just need to make sure it's a smooth transition...............

.....The doctor says: "A political scientist called Charli Carpenter once suggested that Game of Thrones can be seen as an allegory for climate change. In Game of Thrones, there's that army of zombies, the White Walkers, gathering strength in the north. They represent the impending climate disaster that no one takes seriously because everyone else is too busy with their politics."

Excerpt from:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/bay-of-plenty-times/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503343&objectid=11475345

NZ may have a 'green reputation' but our Pollies are dragging the chain badly on CC.
:-(
Clare

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: July 09, 2015, 06:56:13 PM »
A video where Peter Wadhams explain what is the state of the Arctic.
May 12, 2015 - FEEM Lecture: "Arctic Amplification, Climate Change, Global Warming"

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: July 10, 2015, 07:28:26 PM »
Don't know if I already posted that ! Sorry an other depressing video, I would like to post positive stories but I don't find any, most of it is Green washing story.

What a Way to Go

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: July 14, 2015, 09:36:32 PM »
Satire from The Onion:

I Will Drink Every Last Drop Of Water On Earth
http://www.theonion.com/blogpost/i-will-drink-every-last-drop-water-earth-50836

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: July 15, 2015, 11:55:00 PM »
@GeorgeTakei: After a punishing winter, Boston's giant snow pile finally has melted. Bostonians are congregating to search for lost car keys or 'khakis'*.

[*Boston accent for "car keys."]  ;D

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: July 20, 2015, 06:57:53 PM »
Per NASA, soon we'll have pictures like this on a daily basis.

@NASASCaN: NASA camera on #DSCOVR [satellite] captures Earth from 1 million miles. DSN, NEN, SN provide comm/tracking
http://t.co/KPgJgHHrNE http://t.co/d0fzxyIigK

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: July 20, 2015, 07:32:51 PM »
NOAA's "State of the Climate" report for 2014 came out a little while ago.  Here's an article and a link to the report itself:

Article:
The state of the world’s climate is complex enough that it takes 413 scientists from 58 countries half a year to completely summarize a year’s worth of data.

And 2014 was a doozy.

According to the American Meteorological Society and NOAA’s “State of the Climate in 2014″ report, several markers measuring the earth’s climatic trends set historical records. This is the 25th year that scientists have provided this report, and it was full of hundreds of pages of detailed atmospheric and oceanic summaries of what’s happening to our air, land, and water.
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/07/20/3682284/broken-climate-records-2014/

Report (pdf):  http://www2.ametsoc.org/ams/index.cfm/publications/bulletin-of-the-american-meteorological-society-bams/state-of-the-climate/state-of-climate-in-2014/

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: July 21, 2015, 10:09:58 PM »
NH summertime, 30+ C for days already and days to come, heat, my location.
Something relaxing,