Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Baffin Island, Barnes ice cap  (Read 3881 times)

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
Baffin Island, Barnes ice cap
« on: December 01, 2016, 02:05:21 AM »
http://blogs.agu.org/fromaglaciersperspective/2016/11/18/barnes-ice-cap-baffin-island-evident-response-climate-change/

Prof Pelto does his usual superlative job. The meltwater streams are quite amazing.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: Baffin Island, Barnes ice cap
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 02:54:52 PM »
Great post Sidd! I've been spending too much time on the Trump (ugh!) thread, and didn't notice this until this morning.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
Re: Baffin Island, Barnes ice cap
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 06:31:33 PM »
Coutts Ice Cap, Baffin Island Fragmentation
Coutts Ice Cap is on between Coutts Inlet to the west and Buchan Gulf to the east on the north shore of Baffin Island near its northeastern tip ... .  Here we are focused on a group of glacier[s ] that descend into a basin, that I refer to as Coutts Basin and Coutts Basin Lake. Gardner et al (2012) and Sharp et al (2011) both note that the first decade of the 21st century had the warmest temperatures of the last 50 years in the region, the period of record, and they identified that the mass loss had doubled in the last decade versus the previous four for Baffin Island. This led to surface lowering of up to 1 m/year on all ice masses on Baffin Island and Bylot Island between 1963 and 2006.
[Changed image from jpg to png.  The "6" is missing from one picture.  There are other year's images in the article showing other stages of ice-loss.]
With land-based ice loss like this, I wonder how long the northern edge of the Canadian Archipelago will provide refuge for Arctic sea ice.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"