Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Iceland Deep Drilling Project - 500C at 5,000 meters depth  (Read 3725 times)

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 208
  • Likes Given: 61
Iceland Deep Drilling Project - 500C at 5,000 meters depth
« on: December 23, 2016, 05:13:01 PM »
 ;D

how much electricity can you generate with a constant supply of +500C supercritical steam?  Guess we will find out!

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/news/a23490/iceland-3-mile-hole-magma/
Iceland Is Drilling a 3-Mile Hole to Tap Magma Power
The project could increase the output of geothermal wells by a factor of 10

In 2009, the Iceland Deep Drilling Project (IDDP) accidentally drilled into a magma reservoir about 2 kilometers (1.25 miles) below the surface when it was planning to construct a conventional geothermal well. As an experiment, the IDDP poured water down the magma well to see how much energy it could generate, and they ended up creating the most powerful geothermal well ever drilled, generating some 30 megawatts of power.

Now the project is hoping to do the same thing, except intentionally and on a larger scale. The drilling of a hole that will be 5 kilometers (3 miles) deep in southwestern Iceland began in August at a geothermal facility dubbed Thor. The IDDP intends to tap a landward extension of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, where two of Earth's tectonic plates meet, and create the hottest hole ever drilled. In this subterranean zone, magma that is released from volcanic activity heats seawater up to temperatures between 400 and 1000 degrees Celcius (750 to 1800 degrees Farenheit).

the BBC reports that this project's drilling phase should be completed within a couple of weeks.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-38296251

-----------------------------------

With an unlimited supply of naturally-sourced heat power, this technology has the potential to allow Iceland to become an energy exporter of carbon-free electricity to the EU.
Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
are not tri-color bar graphs
+3C today

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3589
  • Likes Given: 3943
Re: Iceland Deep Drilling Project - 500C at 5,000 meters depth
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 07:55:08 PM »
Wow!
Just wondering, can't this somehow destabilize something? I can't quite put it in more scientific terms.

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 08:17:34 PM »
Wow!
Just wondering, can't this somehow destabilize something? I can't quite put it in more scientific terms.

That is what happened to Kal-El's home planet , no?

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1337
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 09:08:46 PM »
Wow!

The ground may get colder in New Zealand.  ;)
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Avalonian

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 01:43:49 AM »
Brave folks, the icelanders. There was a little incident at Krafla where they accidentally drilled into a magma chamber, and created a very small (but slightly alarming) eruption out the top of the pipe.

If they're careful with how close to the magma they go, then it's just a question of siphoning off some of the heat, which in a small way cools the intrusion and lowers buoyancy and eruption risk. That cooling might result in some minor tremors, but that would hardly be a novelty in Iceland.

If they get it wrong, then I suspect there is a slight risk of setting something off, but only if the magmatic system is already on the very edge of eruption (which Krafla isn't). You could even consider a little artificial eruption to act as a pressure release valve; the more the pressure in a system builds, the more violent the eventual eruption, so perhaps a bit of chaos now saves a lot of chaos later.

Either way, good for them - shame so little of the world can make use of this!