Please support this Forum and Neven's Blog

Author Topic: Global Surface Air Temperatures  (Read 272875 times)

Shared Humanity

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
Re: Global Surface Air Temperatures
« Reply #1450 on: May 16, 2017, 02:36:06 PM »
According to Copernicus's analysis, april 2017 was the second warmest April month on record being 0,18oC cooler compared to the record warm April 2016. Remarkable big anomalies was located around west Antarctica where sea ice extent remains very low. Courtesy: ECMWF, Copernicus Climate Change Service

https://climate.copernicus.eu/resources/data-analysis/average-surface-air-temperature-analysis/monthly-maps/april-2017

I think these monthly anomalies are very enlightening as they eliminate the daily fluctuations and begin to reveal the climactic shifts that are occurring. Monthly provides more insight than annually as these shifts in climate have seasonal attributes. It would be interesting to compare these over time, say the last decade. What I see in April is the development of a "cold pole" over Greenland and the surrounding ocean and land surfaces. This seems reasonable as the ice cap on Greenland is the last refuge for persistent ice and the effects it has on temperatures and atmospheric circulation.

Sigmetnow

• ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: May 23, 2017, 08:10:54 PM »
Kees van der Leun:  Remember the time that "global warming stopped in 1998"?  Those were the days. April 2017 second warmest on record....
https://twitter.com/Sustainable2050/status/864218666778464258
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Lord M Vader

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: May 26, 2017, 07:33:53 PM »
With a couple days left of May it more and more looks like May will be, relatively speaking, warmer than April. I don't believe we will beat May 2016 (+0,93oC above the 1951-1980 average) but we should have a decent chance to get a second place. Currently, May 2014 holds the second place being +0,86oC above the norm. However, we should remember that the value for May 2014 was a result of the huge WWB earlier that year.