Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: History of Arctic Total Water Vapor  (Read 3068 times)

Jim Williams

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
History of Arctic Total Water Vapor
« on: January 20, 2017, 05:07:34 PM »
I'm just getting started on this, and have not understood what I've read so far, however -- I think we all must agree that in order to understand what is happening now we need to understand how much water vapor there was in the Arctic in the past...

I will start by offering the best I could find in a half hour search: http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/full/10.1175/2008JHM970.1

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
Re: History of Arctic Total Water Vapor
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 09:16:09 AM »
Here's another paper that might tell you more, Jim: The Arctic is becoming warmer and wetter as revealed by the Atmospheric Infrared Sounder

BTW, I'm moving this to Arctic Background.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

A-Team

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 944
  • Likes Given: 35
Re: History of Arctic Total Water Vapor
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 05:07:39 PM »
Jim, thx this is really critical to develop this resource as storms both small and large are contributing (as well as ordinary weather). It is shocking to see the usual 2 mm shoot up to 12, that's no desert.

Did you try Tropical Tidbits? Someone posted a very nice TPW image from them the other day on 2016/17 freezing season. Climate Reanalysis might also have a time series. Also, we could use TCW total cloud water which is complementary to water vapor. Nullschool is so-so, bad palette and not conducive to say weekly or monthly averaging.

If you are on twitter, maybe ask Zach at @ZLabe if he is interested in providing it. We will be needing current daily, last month animation, and inter-year comparisons especially for fall and winter. (Summer presents different radiation balance issues.)

Somehow this needs to get chopped down to the Arctic Ocean proper. A lot of these sources will be all over the map. The issues over land are another whole forum, snow melt or so.