Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: ClimateGate 2  (Read 40751 times)

6roucho

• Frazil ice
  • Finance geek
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: ClimateGate 2
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2017, 11:25:26 AM »
An intriguing interview with ""Whistleblower" John Bates:

http://www.eenews.net/stories/1060049630

The federal climate scientist hailed by conservatives as a whistleblower for allegedly revealing manipulated global warming data said yesterday he was actually calling out a former colleague for not properly following agency standards for research.

In an interview with E&E News yesterday, former National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration principal scientist John Bates had a significantly more nuanced take on the controversy that has swirled since a top House Republican hailed his blog post as proof that the agency "played fast and loose" with temperature data to disprove the theory of a global warming "pause."

Bates accused former colleagues of rushing their research to publication, in defiance of agency protocol. He specified that he did not believe that they manipulated the data upon which the research relied in any way.

"The issue here is not an issue of tampering with data, but rather really of timing of a release of a paper that had not properly disclosed everything it was," he said
It's very hard to backpedal against a tide of contrarian outrage.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2017, 12:22:36 PM »
It's very hard to backpedal against a tide of contrarian outrage.

And the forces of darkness are well aware of that fact. An extract from a recent comment of mine at ex Prof. Judy's:

Yes. Of course the phrase "thumbs on the scale" (and its synonyms) is important. For legal as well as scientific and political reasons!

Has John ever uttered words to that effect. Has Judith? Has David Rose? Have any of the Alt-Right meejah? Have any of the “retweeters” and “rebloggers” and other assorted parasites? For more on that thorny topic see:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/2017/02/climategate-2-falls-at-the-first-hurdle/#comment-217767
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2017, 05:04:45 PM »
The linked commentary is a broader commentary on the anti-science congressman heading the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology, with specific reference to this thread's subject.  The entire entry is worth your time.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/news/a52925/lamar-smith-house-republicans-war-on-science/

"So sayeth the man who's taken over six-hundred large in oil and gas money since he's been in Congress. Anyway, Smith hastened to move on to the latest wingnut cause celebre: another attack on NOAA and the science of climate change. An anonymous "whistleblower" told that noted scientific journal, The Daily Mail, that NOAA fudged that report debunking the notion of a climate change "pause" that so exercised Smith in the last Congress. (I told you we'd get back to this.) All of what Smith called "recent news stories" flow from this report in the Daily Mail. Ars Technica has a good rundown on the "controversy," which seems to consist of little more than nasty office feuds that set Smith off on another anti-science rampage."
-----------

And here is the referenced Ars Technics article.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/02/article-names-whistleblower-who-told-congress-that-noaa-manipulated-data/

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2017, 06:10:26 PM »
The forces of darkness don't sleep:
But they may watch over each other's trust funds.

Ivanka Trump was on board to oversee Rupert Murdoch's children's trust fund during the campaign.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-02-08/ivanka-trump-oversaw-trust-fox-news-heirs-throughout-campaign-cycle

Can't see how this would be a problem, but, asking Rupert who should be running the FCC might cause some to lose sleep.

Terry

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2017, 07:32:52 PM »
Thanks for the #Lulz over in the Mail thread Terry!

We're starting to poke ZeroHedge with a long, pointy stick too:

https://twitter.com/TradingGurus/status/829327513566531586
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 279
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2017, 07:49:55 PM »
You know, there are so many points of fire in this gallimaufry, but it all adds up to:

"they can dish it out but they can't take it."

Whether it's Bates on being demoted for unprofessional action and workplace conflict promotion, or Elizabeth Warren "impugning" the star impugners, it's all about who gets to speak. And repression of dissent is at the bottom of it all. Truth doesn't matter, and they miss that the planet has no truck with politics.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2017, 09:00:03 PM »
Truth doesn't matter

This should interest you then Susan? My latest "surrealist programmer" press release!

Kasia B. Turajczyk, Great White Con and I would like to introduce you to our new international contemporary surrealist art in the community project.

Alternative Facts Wetware™ (or #AFW™ for short). On the face of it, it looks as if it's concerned with the absence of #AGW, but in actual fact it's subtly, strangely, surreally, sinisterly different. We proudly present to you the pre-bunking of #Climategate2:

Beta Testing Snow White’s Alternative Fact Detector

Blizzard92

• New ice
    • View Profile
    • Personal Research Website
  • Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2017, 09:17:19 PM »
Unfortunately, the false narrative portion of the story is rapidly spreading again on Twitter today.
Currently: Postdoctoral Research Associate - Princeton University & NOAA GFDL - Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
UC Irvine - Earth System Science Ph.D., M.Sc.
Cornell University - Atmospheric Sciences B.Sc.

Twitter: @ZLabe
Mastodon: https://fediscience.org/web/@ZLabe

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2017, 11:01:27 PM »
Unfortunately, the false narrative portion of the story is rapidly spreading again on Twitter today.

Jeez - I was hoping to get a decent night's sleep tonight. Meanwhile our Save Our Surf Forecast campaign is off to a flying start:

https://twitter.com/jim_hunt/status/829395025054355456

Google Andrew Cotton. Anybody know Kelly Slater's cell number? Unfortunately Cotty doesn't.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2017, 11:56:17 AM »
The scaly suckers have just swallowed my very good friend Ray's tasty bait. Hook, line and proverbial sinker:

https://twitter.com/TradingGurus/status/829642502860898304

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2017, 02:00:47 PM »
Peter Hadfield is back with avengeance :)

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2017, 09:20:05 PM »
As regular viewers will be aware I have been known to go surfing from time to time. That's one of the many reasons I hurriedly built this "campaigning" website:

The Save Our Surf Forecast project

Please click through and see the whole thing, and spread the word if you approve of the message. Whatever you do be sure to watch how Lamar Smith deals with Rush Holt of the AAAS as he testifies before the House Science Committee:

P.S. The timed start doesn't seem to work. 4:00 is the number

Positively Orwellian. Or worse?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 10:41:54 AM by Jim Hunt »

Bill Fothergill

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2017, 01:18:04 PM »
... Whatever you be sure to watch how Lamar Smith deal with Rush Holt of the AAAS as he testifies before the House Science Committee ...

An interesting use of the word "testify" there James.

I didn't know that it could mean "sit there quietly and listen to the ravings of the Committee chairman".

Perhaps the next thing we'll see is Lamar Smith roasting a representative of NASA, with questions like "I have been reliably informed that the USAF could land a WWII bomber on the moon, so why did you lot need a Saturn V?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunday_Sport

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2017, 09:35:01 PM »
An interesting use of the word "testify" there James.

Well Rush did manage to utter a couple of sentences before Congressman Smith spouted his pre-prepared diatribe.

Meanwhile back here in Blighty the Mail have been playing dumb. Or maybe they simply are dumb? My most recent response:

"An Open Letter to the Managing Editor of the Mail on Sunday"

It includes a prediction of sorts:

I think I’ll head to the newsagents first thing tomorrow morning, to make sure I grab a copy of the MoS before it sells out. What “Shock News” might be next I wonder?

“New NOAA Whistleblower says Ice Age Imminent!”

Please feel free to plagiarise that one if you so desire.

Perhaps not tomorrow, but one day soon I feel sure.

6roucho

• Frazil ice
  • Finance geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2017, 09:38:50 PM »
Myron Ebell on BBC Newsnight tonight, blithely arguing that 25% of carbon emissions have been in the last 30 years, and if there was a relationship between C02 and warming then there would have been warming but there hasn't. He also talked about fraudulent temperature records. History will judge him as responsible for millions of deaths.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2017, 09:56:39 PM »
And the same goes for the BBC, for having that murderer on and not deconstruct his lies for their viewers (or did they?).
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

6roucho

• Frazil ice
  • Finance geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2017, 10:39:35 PM »
And the same goes for the BBC, for having that murderer on and not deconstruct his lies for their viewers (or did they?).
No, they didn't Neven. They gave him an easy time. As did CNN.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2017, 10:28:59 AM »
My prediction in writing to the Mail on Sunday's Managing Editor has come true this morning, so I'm off down the paper shop shortly:

"David Rose's Climatic Alternative Facts and Deceptions"

Fortunately Snow White's Alternative Facts detection subsystem is still working perfectly, so we managed to get our retaliation in first:

"How Trump Won"

Should anybody here wish to spread the word further, retweets are always welcome:

https://twitter.com/GreatWhiteCon/status/830707376806322176

6roucho

• Frazil ice
  • Finance geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2017, 04:22:24 PM »
DAVID ROSE: How can we trust global warming scientists if they keep twisting the truth

They were duped – and so were we. That was the conclusion of last week’s damning revelation that world leaders signed the Paris Agreement on climate change under the sway of unverified and questionable data.

A landmark scientific paper –the one that caused a sensation by claiming there has been NO slowdown in global warming since 2000 – was critically flawed. And thanks to the bravery of a whistleblower, we now know that for a fact.

[snip]

No one, to be clear, has ‘tampered’ with the figures. But according to Bates, the way those figures were chosen exaggerated global warming.

Shameless. Aren't there laws about blatantly lying, and manufacturing false quotes, in British newspapers?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-4216180/How-trust-global-warming-scientists-asks-David-Rose.html

Blizzard92

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2017, 07:39:02 PM »
And yet another Daily Mail article being spread via Twitter: https://twitter.com/julie_kelly2/status/830821019799715841.

Hopefully, this non-story ends shortly.
Currently: Postdoctoral Research Associate - Princeton University & NOAA GFDL - Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2017, 12:24:07 AM »

I fear it won't be that simple. Amongst all the other "rebloggers, retweeters, plagiarisers and other assorted acolytes" Christopher Booker is regurgitating the ballcocks in the Torygraph, and no I won't link to it.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2017, 12:29:35 AM »
Aren't there laws about blatantly lying, and manufacturing false quotes, in British newspapers?

Not exactly. In theory there's a "regulator". In practice The Mail gets away with metaphorical murder:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/tag/ipso/

Currently Mr. Rose's excuse for not answering my pertinent questions on Twitter is that he's "gone on a caving expedition".

Perhaps his head will get stuck in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike?

magnamentis

« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2017, 12:32:39 AM »

I fear it won't be that simple. Amongst all the other "rebloggers, retweeters, plagiarisers and other assorted acolytes" Christopher Booker is regurgitating the ballcocks in the Torygraph, and no I won't link to it.

this kind of stuff is s far off what everyone who wants can see with his own eyes that i often have genuine trouble to believe what i'm reading, can only be personal interest (money, carrier) and/or outright stupidity.

further can anyone explain why if someone lies or exagerates and by accident is a baker why that his bread should be bad or why there wouldn't be any bread at all. where is the connection between people making mistakes or being imperfect and things (facts) that simply are or simply happen and everyone can see it?

this is beyond me which i have to admit is one of my problems, i simply can't believe/understand what kind of people exist on the that other side to say it nicely :-)

6roucho

• Frazil ice
  • Finance geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2017, 10:35:37 AM »
this kind of stuff is s far off what everyone who wants can see with his own eyes that i often have genuine trouble to believe what i'm reading, can only be personal interest (money, carrier) and/or outright stupidity.
I think it's money, magnamentis. Industry is terrified by the multi-trillion dollar asset bubble implied by all the fossil fuels that must be left in the ground, that has already been priced into economies. They have a budget, and they pay people to lie.

This then gets amplified in the contrarian echo chamber. Contrarians literally don't care what's true, they only want to take a position that nurtures their self-image. All that matters is narrative.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2017, 11:27:32 AM »
Contrarians literally don't care what's true, they only want to take a position that nurtures their self-image. All that matters is narrative.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record:

"Alternative Facts Wetware™ Web Site Revealed"

P-maker

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 72
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2017, 12:24:19 PM »
Jim:

and no I won't link to it.

Totally agree! We also have a (partly) government sponsored Echo-chamber in this country, and it would be ludicrous to divert any traffic in that direction. Let them die their own silent deaths by ignorance. They fully deserve it.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2017, 03:45:21 PM »
I went to an IEA report on fossil fuel reserves and looked at oil and LNG in particular. Nearly 2 trillion barrels of proven reserves and another 4 trillion barrels of theoretically recoverable reserves. At the low price of $50 per  barrel that is 300 trillion bucks of assets. At a modest profit of 5 bucks a barrel that is $30 trillion.

The only surprise is that the Heartland Institute, the Heritage Foundation etc etc are only funded by tens of millions every year.

If you add natural gas and coal the figures become even more mind-boggling. The fossil fuel industry will be in the fight to the death.8
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Bill Fothergill

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2017, 09:12:59 PM »
... The fossil fuel industry will be in the fight to the death.

Now that is a seriously appropriate turn of phrase.

The only uncertainty about it is whether it will be gigadeaths, or merely megadeaths.

(Apologies for the use of "merely" in such a context.)

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2017, 05:07:49 PM »
Megadeaths (of Humans) ?

Probably. But from climate change ? Maybe not. Or more likely an unholy mixture of unfortunate events.

Economics.
The world is awash in debt (far worse than 2008). It is growth in that debt that keeps economic growth going. When will we see an "Emperor's new clothes" moment ?

Food supply.
If you live in Southern Africa (currently recovering from a really bad drought) you've got army worms (recently arrived from the Americas) and Red Locusts to worry about. UN agencies are warning that there are 4 other major famines on the way.
Soil erosion is reducing fertility world-wide. The UK is not immune, nor the USA.

I must stop - this post is off-topic. Except in that denial seems to be the normal human response to anything that threatens the next shopping trip to the Mall.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2017, 05:13:33 PM »
Seconds out for #NOAAGate round two. Lamar Smith jumps from his stool, still swinging below the belt:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/2017/02/david-roses-climatic-alternative-facts-and-deceptions/#Feb-15

Lamar Smith (R-Texas) today sent a letter to National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Acting Administrator Benjamin Friedman requesting information on the Karl study following reports the study ignored NOAA standards, was rushed to publication, and was not free from political bias.

The news release continues to describe the alleged “background”, but I think we’re all pretty familiar with that by now? The letter itself is addressed to Benjamin Friedman, NOAA’s acting administrator. It demands to see a big pile of documents “related to the Karl study”. It will come a no surprise whatsoever to our regular readers that it references the leading actors in the David & Judy show!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 05:28:36 PM by Jim Hunt »

Blizzard92

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2017, 06:00:25 PM »
Appreciate your efforts documenting this all Jim and for dealing with the ridiculousness on social media. I expect it will continue, unfortunately!

Iceismylife

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2017, 09:13:45 PM »
<snip>

Economics.
The world is awash in debt (far worse than 2008). It is growth in that debt that keeps economic growth going. When will we see an "Emperor's new clothes" moment ?

<snap>
We live on an exponential debt curve. (globally)  Last time it was this bad was in the 1930's.

End off topic.

6roucho

• Frazil ice
  • Finance geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2017, 04:55:28 AM »
The is also off-topic, but I think uncontrolled debt is one symptom of a larger problem, which is the money supply.

There are plenty of conspiracy cranks who dog this subject online, but in this case they're partially right. Uncontrolled bank credit has created too much money in the global financial system, which societies are struggling to deal with, without the normal systemic response of strong inflation.

In the past, this dysfunction was swept under the carpet by inequality between nations. No one in power cared if emerging nations were economic basket cases. The fear of global economic equality is one of the drivers of the anti-science movement, because open science is a meritocratic levelling mechanism, hence the conspiracy nonsense about China and climate change fraud.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2017, 11:48:04 AM »
The latest episode of David Rose's epic fantasy fiction saga in the Mail on Sunday:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/2017/02/climategate-2-episode-3-of-david-roses-epic-saga/

Let’s see if we can discover if Peter Stott has any recollection of being interviewed last week by the Mail on Sunday and/or The Mail’s leading fantasy fiction writer shall we?

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2017, 09:27:28 AM »
Peter Stott confirms he wasn't interviewed by The Mail "last week":

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/2017/02/climategate-2-episode-3-of-david-roses-epic-saga/#Feb-19

In addition John Kennedy, also from the UK Met Office, pointed out to Mr. Rose that:

January 2017 HadCRUT4 isn't out yet.

Do you suppose David & Judy have another "whistleblower" embedded deep within the Hadley Centre?

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2017, 11:14:34 AM »
Having managed to sneak in under the WUWT moderators' radar, they now seem to have spotted that Snow White's little grey cells are not toeing the "David Rose - Intrepid investigative journalist" party line. :D

Watch this space! https://archive.is/9B5mq#selection-7451.0-7465.30

P.S. Now released from purgatory. ROFL!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 12:40:14 PM by Jim Hunt »

Bill Fothergill

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2017, 02:10:33 PM »
Michael Moon "... ultra-liberal Koch brothers ..."

WTF ???????????????????

Oh, I see now.

The Latin for the Moon is "Luna". From that, comes the term "lunaticus", which in turn was the root for the English word "lunatic".

How pleasingly circular.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2017, 10:18:23 AM »
In some related "Shock News!" the so called "Global Warming Policy Forum" have finally "corrected" one of their profusion of porky pies:

"Shock News! Finally, the GWPF Corrects a Mistake!!"

A scientist involved in the production of the HadCRUT4 global surface temperature data set told us that once again David Whitehouse is mistaken.

Can we now expect David Rose to issue an even more abject apology in next weekend's Mail on Sunday?

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2017, 12:30:43 AM »
The Mail on Sunday have just issued an apology for a "correction" to the same egregious error as the GWPF a few days ago:

http://GreatWhiteCon.info/2017/02/climategate-2-episode-3-of-david-roses-epic-saga/#Mar-18

We won't get fooled again. Will we?

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2017, 06:31:51 PM »
An article on the self same alleged “correction”:

"Don’t Panic! It’s Just Another Climategate 2 Correction!!"

Last night the Mail Online web site... published an excuse for a “correction” to the egregious inaccuracy published on February 19th 2017 as part of David Rose’s self christened “Climategate 2” campaign in the Mail on Sunday.

One of the numerous problems with the Mail and the GWPF’s version of these recent events is that none of the UK Met Office insiders I have contacted have any idea what the Mail might be blathering on about.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2017, 01:17:11 AM »
My very good friend Alice F. has somehow managed to dig up some more dirt on David Rose:

https://twitter.com/jim_hunt/status/844339885959983104

Do you suppose his toes are starting to feel a trifle toasty yet?

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2017, 10:55:15 PM »
re: budmantis  February 05, 2017, 07:37:24 AM

As far as I know, the Koch's didn't support the Trump candidacy at all.

Sorry I missed this, weeks late for a reply. I was talking about post-election planning and selection of hires. I'm active with politics in the US, so I've kept up with all this in real time, and try not to make unsupported statements. The web of interconnections is complex; it is correct the Kochs appeared not to care for Trump (though their suggestion of support for Hillary might have been intended to create a backlash - there was one).

My observation was that the Koch apparatus was ready to hand with qualified climate deniers and to a large extent those appointed to positions of power were so provided. Bearing in mind that Trump is inexperienced at much but bullying and lies, though the Koch billionaire network only indirectly enabled his election, once he got in power their network was available. Known individuals were observed entering/leaving Trump Tower in New York City.

The Kochs emerged circa 2009 through Jane Mayer's reporting and elsewhere (Dark Money author). For those interested, we have a new set of players, the Mercers, who are allied to Arthur Robinson of the Oregon Petition group. Here: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/03/27/the-reclusive-hedge-fund-tycoon-behind-the-trump-presidency

The New Yorker is a hot source with the usual restriction on articles per month. The above is from this week's issue, but they have another piece today, Paging Dr. Fraud: The Fake Publishers Ruining Science (note: not about climate). The Mercer article is fascinating (if you can't stay away from that kind of revelation), and every day they have astute, well researched, well written material on current and breaking news (OT alert: example, a shocker on the vulnerable Mosul dam).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 11:18:32 PM by Susan Anderson »

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2017, 12:32:48 AM »
The Brothers Koch, who may only have spent ~$250M on the 2016 election, are planning to spending $300-$400M ahead of the 2018 midterms.
Apparently those Republicans voting for Trump's healthcare program should not expect to be welcomed at the Koch trough, and might even encounter well healed primary opposition.

So do we hope that the evil Trump prevails, or the equally evil Koch brothers. I think I'll encourage both sides to make a stand on this issue. :)

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-03-22/trump-faces-yuge-obamacare-vote-tomorrow-conservative-koch-brothers-urge-resistance

Terry

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2017, 05:04:48 AM »
Per Susan's and Terry's post, not sure what the best course of action is in this case. Here we have a Republican attempt at a watered down version of Obamacare by the Republicans. It's funny because seven years ago, if the Republicans worked together with the Democrats, we "may" have ended up with a better healthcare program than Obamacare.

Now the so-called Freedom Caucus is trying to stop the Republicans attempt, with Trump on one side and the Koch's on the other! Who the hell do we route for?

With my wife being a beneficiary of the original Obamacare and this year having a very good plan contrary to the experience of others, I find myself routing for the Freedom Caucus and the Koch's! Why, because  if the Republican's plan is defeated, then the original Obamacare remains intact, at least for the time being.

Politics make strange bedfellows!

Note: It has just occurred to me how off-topic this is, so my apologies.

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2017, 05:40:21 AM »
Returning closer to topic, though still a bit offside,* there is a scheduled persecution by Rep. Lamar Smith's Space, Science and Technology Committee (House of Representatives) https://science.house.gov/legislation/hearings/full-committee-hearing-climate-science-assumptions-policy-implications-and

Full Committee Hearing- Climate Science: Assumptions, Policy Implications, and the Scientific Method
Date: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 10:00am

Dr. Judith Curry, President, Climate Forecast Applications Network; Professor Emeritus, Georgia Institute of Technology
Dr. John Christy, Professor and Director, Earth System Science Center, NSSTC, University of Alabama at Huntsville; State Climatologist, Alabama
Dr. Michael Mann, Professor, Department of Meteorology and Atmospheric Science, Pennsylvania State University
Dr. Roger Pielke Jr, Professor, Environmental Studies Department, University of Colorado

Politics dictates 3:1 Republican:Democrat choices. They hold all the cards for the foreseeable future, but this will be a show trial of sorts. My personal opinion, strictly off the cuff, is that Dr. Mann will be better than our friend Rush Holt (who got in the weeds being honest about science, though excellent) but not as good as Admiral Titley who is quietly authoritative.

(*If there's a better forum for this kind of thing (American politics re climate), please let me know.)

((Agreed on health care: what we need is a big fail. Meanwhile, the Russian scandal is building.))

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2017, 02:28:26 PM »
Returning closer to topic, though still a bit offside,* there is a scheduled persecution by Rep. Lamar Smith's Space, Science and Technology Committee (House of Representatives)

Absolutely on topic Susan! What's more Alice and I are on the case even as we speak!!

https://twitter.com/jim_hunt/status/844887203947909124

Shock News! We've even entered the very heart of darkness!!

http://archive.is/B0bEo#selection-3207.0-3207.53

When do you suppose will be the optimum time to turn up the heat under the popping pan?

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2017, 03:06:43 PM »
BudM

If you have a health plan that is working for you and yours, fight for it & to hell with the political fallout. Your future, both financially and health wise could depend on your decision.

Sorry it I'm sounding pedantic but I've faced these problems and understand at least some of the ramifications.

Stay Healthy & Stay Insured
Terry

Blizzard92

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2017, 10:32:56 PM »
"In particular, he expressed support for writing legislation that would punish scientific journals that publish research that doesn’t fit standards of peer review crafted by Smith..."

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/03/lamar-smith-unbound-lays-out-political-strategy-climate-doubters-conference?utm_source=newsfromscience&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=smithunbound-11967

House "Science" Twitter: https://twitter.com/HouseScience

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2017, 10:45:41 PM »