Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: 2017 open thread  (Read 122054 times)

johnm33

Re: 2017 open thread
« Reply #300 on: May 08, 2017, 07:18:16 PM »
Tigertown posted this animation, i'm curious atm about mslp and ice movement so with new/full/new moons on the 7nth22nd and 6th

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #301 on: May 08, 2017, 07:45:12 PM »
John did you notice the animation is of 2016?

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #302 on: May 08, 2017, 07:55:22 PM »
John
Very nice animation.
My experience from years past is that ~2 days past high tide fast ice is liable to slip away from shore, and begin it's trek. I've assumed that the high tide breaks the ice, then it takes a short period of jostling before it gains it's freedom.

The death of the ice shelves fascinates me, but whenever the tides tear things up it makes for great viewing.

Terry

johnm33

« Reply #303 on: May 08, 2017, 09:56:42 PM »
Oren Yes as is the mslp chart  :)
It takes a while for reanalysis to put this years up.
Terry Agreed, wish i could do them. I used to think it was the high tides but now think it's the tidal range that matters, very low and very high tides, and just a little bias to breaking at low, here because it's a persistent high pressure system I think low water [not that the tides up there are very big] and am thinking water moves away from the center of the high, then there's the wind.
All too fascinating, a great distraction from political lunacy though.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 08, 2017, 10:15:51 PM »
Oren Yes as is the mslp chart  :)
It takes a while for reanalysis to put this years up.
Terry Agreed, wish i could do them. I used to think it was the high tides but now think it's the tidal range that matters, very low and very high tides, and just a little bias to breaking at low, here because it's a persistent high pressure system I think low water [not that the tides up there are very big] and am thinking water moves away from the center of the high, then there's the wind.
All too fascinating, a great distraction from political lunacy though.
Ramen  8)

Terry

johnm33

« Reply #305 on: May 12, 2017, 12:17:08 PM »
Has anyone else here considered catastrophism and what it might help explain? Is a reconsideration of the uniformitarian/catastrophism debate worth a thread?

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 15, 2017, 06:36:35 AM »
John
If you're willing to accept the black mat as catastrophism I have some data that you might find interesting.
Terry

johnm33

« Reply #307 on: May 15, 2017, 11:08:34 AM »
Terry I'm not familiar with the term 'black mat' so assuming it's not a pejoritive and refers to this http://www.pnas.org/content/105/18/6520.full sort of thing, which coincides precisely with events that catatstrophism has alternative and sometimes almost unimaginable explanations for, I'm interested.
john

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 15, 2017, 01:24:26 PM »
John - Neven
Perhaps we could start here, then move to a more appropriate thread if any interest builds.

John
That's the stuff I refer to. I've samples from Murray Springs AZ, Naco Site AZ, Clovis Site NM, Gilcrease Ranch Site NV, Tule Springs Site NV, - Many unreported locals in CA, NV, AZ, & ONT.CA. It's ubiquitous in the Mojave Desert & at least the Northern Sonora Desert.
If you've in the SouthWest & you come across Clovis tools or Ice Age Animal remains, the Black Mat is nearby.
Terry

johnm33

« Reply #309 on: May 15, 2017, 06:40:41 PM »
Terry, this is well off piste as far as scientists are concerned, but then looking back at the uniformitarianism/catastrophism [C/U] debate it's hard to see choosing U. as a scientific decision, but since then everything has been seen through that prism, so to speak, and if anything didn't fit that paradigm it was set aside, then ignored. I've no great wish to upset their applecart but some things are better explained by C. and should they be closer to the truth the impacts on how this impending disaster unfolds are profound. So before we go any further this http://bearfabrique.org/History/floods/mfloods.html  is a fairly concise outline, including some of the ignored facts. I try to keep this seperate, in my mind, and it took about 15 years of serendipitously coming across abandoned facts before my old more conventional worldveiw began to crack.
john

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 15, 2017, 11:04:23 PM »
John
I'm sorry - That's a bridge too far for me. Let me apologize for not reading all of your linked. I did read enough to get a clear picture of where it was headed, and recognized that I'd been there in the past and had rejected the arguments that were coming.

I read Velikovsky a teen and was intrigued, but - many of the events he ascribes to extraterrestrial intervention are convincingly explained by the volcanic explosion of Thera near Santorini.

I've seen the K-T line and I'm convinced - primarily because of the iridium content, that we were hit.
I've seen the Black Mat and I'm convinced, partially because of the iridium content, that we were hit.

These events certainly were catastrophic for whatever animals that lived in their vicinity. The K-T event almost certainly affected the globe, the BM (Black Mat) almost certainly affected the North American Continent. A smaller event affecting a smaller region, but still hugely important to the history of life on our planet.

The burden of proof needed to dissuade me of the notion that the K-T line or the BM strata were not extraterrestrial in origin would be massive. To convince me that the K-T impact was not the primary event responsible for the eventual demise of dinosaurs would take a lot of new facts, and to convince me that the BM event wasn't the primary driver for ending the Rancholabrean complex would require a similar amount of new data.

I'm feel conflicted because I'm rejecting your presently unpopular prehistoric read while simultaneously advocating for my cause celebre. I hope the above offers some light on my stance.

Apologetically
Terry

mati

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #311 on: May 16, 2017, 01:06:40 AM »
JOY  ;D

i'm back to loving this site again :)

once i figured out how to turn on ignore :O

blood pressure you know  :o
and so it goes

johnm33

« Reply #312 on: May 16, 2017, 12:14:00 PM »
Terry, that's fine, it took me years to get round to reading Velikovsky and, from my casual enquiry, was surprised how much I agreed with his veiws, at least about the consistency of ancient accounts of events. The planetary stuff was all new to me, and his prescient predictions of Venus' spin and surface temperature certainly got my attention. His historical stuff is interesting too, 'seven gated thebes' refers to the time when greek mercenary 'kings' ruled the 7 cities on the nile entrances to Egypt as vassals of the Assyrians.
But clearly there has to be some sensible explanation for all the stranded whale carcasses and the presence of arctic fauna in the black and caspian seas and lake baikal. I'd agree that some sort of impact took place around the black mat event, also something took place that affected carbon dating and I suspect it may not have been a single event some far more serious than others.  KT is too remote an event to have any current implications.   
That said i thought it best to jump in the deep end since there's no accounting for all these things with current mainstream theories. So no apology needed.
john

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 16, 2017, 01:45:06 PM »
Johnm33
Too start things off on a positive note, I'd like to introduce some evidence(?) for the BM, (Black Mat) theory that ASAIK hasn't been published to date, although my "to date" may lag the today's calendar by >5 years.

The BM is so extensive near Las Vegas, NV that in the 1960's when work was being done near the Tule Springs Site, someone assumed they had dug down to a Paleo fire pit. With trowels and toothbrushes they went about documenting the site properly. As the find got larger and larger, they began sinking test pits out in all directions and found the dark ash at the same depth wherever they looked.

My future landlord was in charge of an apprentice training program for the local Heavy Equipment Operators Union and was able to lend the dig the use of a large bulldozer, with operator(s). The question was of course whether all the locations where the ash layer was found were in fact a single entity, or whether they had stumbled onto an area where many discrete bonfires had been lit close together spatially and chronologically.

The way he told the story was that they stripped out a blade width of overburden between half a dozen pits, linking them to each other & back to the initial dig. One of the operator trainees inquired whether it would help if he could dig an inch or two into the BM, then run out in a straight line until the came to the end of the "burn". They apparently ran ~1 mile on each of the compass points, dropped a few holes even further out - then buried everything they'd done that day.

Whatever they had found was determined not to be the work of man, and therefore of no interest to the Anthropology Department. The strata that followed modern surface contours so closely was of little interest to the Geology Department, who preferred rocks and minerals anyway. And the Heavy Equipment Operator who held his class there that day was the only one left who spoke of the event. Fortunately, he evolved into a gabby sort who told tales I relished decades later.

As far as being on topic, the BM theory is tied to the wild thermal gyrations that accompanied the Younger Dryas. Hope this tenuous linkage makes the subject acceptable.
Terry

johnm33

« Reply #314 on: May 20, 2017, 06:31:37 PM »
Terry, I've been reading up a little on black mats, curiously there's a layer on the beach where we walk the dogs that may be one, http://www.cornishcoastphotos.co.uk/_photo_14526457.html
What would best fit my 'scenario' is algae on ice, but a short lived saltmarsh would fit too. I found this which suggests algae but not ice, directly above it should be fine wind blown sediment from an ecosystem in transition, without established ground cover.
 https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=a401dLh_JkgC&pg=PA242&lpg=PA242&dq=black+mat+organic+content&source=bl&ots=2J3OkVo7xi&sig=8ImBbYsuCR37KQ0-njL7AhYUsPg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjXj5udjP7TAhUJ1RoKHbnCC3IQ6AEILzAB#v=onepage&q=black%20mat%20organic%20content&f=false
john

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: May 21, 2017, 05:58:51 AM »
For some reason your book won't allow me in.
I'm very familiar with the Murray Springs Site having Black Mat samples, a marvelous Clovis hammer stone rescued from a flash flood & some crumbs that are all that remain when mammoth bone is exposed to the environment.
IIRC Vance finally came out against the BM theory and I had read his thoughts on the subject some time ago. BTW the Murray Springs dig was finally written up, ~40 yrs after work was completed.

The dating on your beach mat is ~10Kyr too young, but I have read that finds have been made in Northern Europe, possibly England? One of the easy ways to eliminate false finds is a strong magnet - the BM contains magnetic particles. Enclosing the magnet in a condom will allow the particles to be removed easily.
Not aware if you have any ice age bones lying about in your region, but if the black mat is there, it will drape them, but never be found under them.
That is one beautiful beach - I'm envious!

We used the strata as a marker to know when we were close to ice age or Clovis goodies decades before anyone had any idea of what it was it why it was there.

Goodyear and Firestone are still the authorities when it comes to the BM, although a very well thought of anthropologist at ROM (Royal Ontario Museum) in Toronto has told me that after finding magnetic particles embedded the upper portions of most of the Mammoth and Mastodon tusks in their collection, he's become a true believer.
He gave a wonderful lecture a few years back for the OAS (Ontario Archaeologist Society) with samples, tusks and a magnet, ever brought a ball thrower for his dog as an example of a modern atlatl  :)  - I provided some samples from further afield.[size=78%] [/size]

Terry
BTW If I'm drifting into the pedantic please, gently, make me aware of it.

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #316 on: June 07, 2017, 07:23:41 PM »
Meltponds anyone?
"....and the appointed time came for God to bring to ruin those ruining the earth." Revelation 11:18.

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 15, 2017, 09:14:59 PM »
From IJIS,
I expect there will eventually come a time where the number of climate change deniers will dwindle to the point where they're essentially irrelevant, like the flat earthers. I would love to think that we could reach that point earlier rather than later, maybe because some event like an ice-free North Pole some year soon would convince certain prominent voices among them to change their minds.

It's a thin hope, but I think it's behind why some part of me roots for a record low extent each year.

If it makes you feel better, this is actually the case literally everywhere besides the US. Parties that deny the reality of climate change have been continually eviscerated; UKIP was the latest example. Insofar as that reflects the views of the electorate, it does seem to indicate that most people in the world accept that climate change is happening and caused by humans.

Edit: Sorry, realized this is probably too off topic. Won't respond any further.
For one thing in the U.S. most people have enjoyed the changes rather than being harmed by them. I hear people all the time saying how much they like the warmer winter. People go around in shorts and t-shirts, happy and care free, when it should be snowing and cold.
"....and the appointed time came for God to bring to ruin those ruining the earth." Revelation 11:18.

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 26, 2017, 04:51:29 AM »
From the Latest PIOMAS Update thread;
thickness vs area curves is that this year the very thick ice is almost gone, the thick ice that will make it through the summer will be very thin, and there's lots of thin ice that will melt out.
Right. It would seem a given volume spread out over a large extent -- eg Oren's Inner Basin chart for the end of the month -- favors heat access modes and so collective top and bottom melt. Wind over long fetches then mixes warm water from depth and disperses weak ice over it.

Preconditioning from the extraordinary conditions last fall is easy to forget with the freeze forum split off but certain to manifest itself. Throw in unfavorable (or even unremarkable) weather and we will have quite a few weeks of extensive open water in late season exposing vulnerable residual ice to further risk and putting the dampers on the fall 2017 refreeze. There's no turning back.
It seems the natural thing to ask next is:
What will it be like going into the 2018 melt season without any multi-year thick ice? If there is any at all it will be scarce. What is left from this year will be meager two-year ice by that point.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #319 on: June 26, 2017, 02:43:35 PM »
For some years in my simplistic analyses I have thought that it would be when big impacts on winter ice happened that a tipping point could happen. I don't  think it will be this year. But if winter 17-18 replicates last winter and the ice-cap enters winter in an already enfeebled state....

It is just a case of when, not if.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 26, 2017, 04:28:25 PM »
But if winter 17-18 replicates last winter and the ice-cap enters winter in an already enfeebled state....
Too much open water late in the season is one thing that will cause another rough winter for the Arctic, along with the oceans' warmth all over.

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 24, 2017, 03:40:11 PM »
I know that I sound like a broke record, but I keep reading arguments over extent as a gauge for the melt season and the year overall. I reiterate that we use extent daily because it is available daily not because it is the best metric that we have.

From IJIS,

The mistake you and others make is the assumption that this year's ice is anything like previous years.  Or that this year's climate is anything like previous years.   Or that atmospheric circulation or ocean currents and temperatures are anything like previous years.

You can crunch numbers all you want, but if circumstances in the past in no way resemble current circumstances, then it's just GIGO.

You can't treat a transforming system as if it's a static one and derive anything useful.

We have variations on this post LITERALLY EVERY YEAR.  One year they will be right, much like a stopped clock. When that year comes, don't delude yourself that you deserve credit for your foresight.

Where did THAT come from?  You may be fighting some personal demon, but it's not me.
Personal attacks are out of place here, especially when they are based on nothing but your own issues

One response to this;
Ned W,
You told other people that they're wrong.  Peter Ellis told you that you're wrong.  His language was perhaps slightly more pointed than yours, but not that much.

He is right that every year people say "conditions this year are totally different from any other previous year" and then most of the time the season proceeds more or less as it did the year before and the year before that. 

We're about six weeks away from the minimum.  Over the past six weeks, extent has decreased by 3.51 million km2.  For the previous decade, the average was 3.59.  Seems pretty typical to me.

I agree with Cid that the system is dynamic, but I think that an extent based thread is not where this discussion belongs. The Arctic Sea Ice extent is about as meaningless right this moment as it will ever be. It doesn't even have the usual value in regard to albedo because so much is so thin that the sun's rays pass right through it.

Anyway, extent has been used so much everyday of every year, it has become a stumbling block. We need to look at the overall picture, and on a large enough high res. screen, not a tiny phone.

magnamentis

« Reply #322 on: July 24, 2017, 06:29:54 PM »
I agree with Cid that the system is dynamic, but I think that an extent based thread is not where this discussion belongs. The Arctic Sea Ice extent is about as meaningless right this moment as it will ever be. It doesn't even have the usual value in regard to albedo because so much is so thin that the sun's rays pass right through it.

Anyway, extent has been used so much everyday of every year, it has become a stumbling block. We need to look at the overall picture, and on a large enough high res. screen, not a tiny phone.

once more you nailed it down. unfortunately it's not wise to discus the flaws of a widely adopted or only available method in a forum/thread/group that is dedicated to exactly that method. emotional "head-wind" is unavoidable and as we all know i regularly fall into such traps because my way of thinking is simply to straight forward to consider typical human reactions at any given moment.

of course i'm of the opinion that the shortcomings of a method should be discussed exactly there because the audience is right, but as history and experience show, that simply does never lead to anything positive but a lot of back and forth bickering, hence it's "not wise" to go there.

recent events once more showed me that and once ones voice is not listened to anymore, one could know who god is and remain unheard ;) which finally is to no-ones benefit. many enough were/are killed simply for telling to truth or a believe that is not convenient to the establishment or that's against the actual main stream. the subconscious mind is a huge force.

since this is the open thread i hope that's within range, your post just inspired me :-)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 06:45:57 PM by magnamentis »

Mozi

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 30
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #323 on: July 24, 2017, 06:51:43 PM »
They are actually looking at data, with all the caveats required.

You have made up your mind as to the outcome and seem to have no goal but to remind people of that.

Which is not to say you will not be correct eventually, but only one of those discussions is in any way interesting.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 24, 2017, 06:59:06 PM »
At which point I scuttled back to threads where data is still considered of value.

magnamentis

« Reply #325 on: July 24, 2017, 07:13:03 PM »
They are actually looking at data, with all the caveats required.

You have made up your mind as to the outcome and seem to have no goal but to remind people of that.

Which is not to say you will not be correct eventually, but only one of those discussions is in any way interesting.

if you mean me i can tell that the motive (goal) you assume is exactly NOT my goal and is jumping to conclusions if i may say so.

my goal is to remind people to look at the whole picture instead of jumping to conclusions based on a flawed but available method and at the same time adapt their statements to something like daily moves of that graph. those two things combined, following ever little change and making up a september outcome of it and then considering the fact that the value of that method at this time of the year is at least limited (nicely said) leads to a lot of non-sense about a serious topic and most people when getting aware feel .........  while that was never the intention.

there is written a lot of literature about that and as i said, i will further restrain because as stated above it's neither target leading nor wise to do so.

my key point however is that some individuals simply, as it's very common, in case of doubt assume a bad/negative motivation because that's a lot easier and at the same time lessens the value of a statement in favour of their own while i believe to base an analysis on best possible data (foundation) is key to get the most accurate result and even more importantly avoid totally wrong results that would only help those who deny the entire thing.

i'm not sure but i do not want to go beyond certain limits again, hence i think all is said, should you be genuinely interested to find out more don't hesitate to PM, i'm always open to honest and constructive input of any kind

enjoy further
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 09:16:05 PM by magnamentis »

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 24, 2017, 07:35:20 PM »
I certainly don't know the exact outcome of the season. I know that it may end with extent fairly high, but how does anyone consider that a good thing if all the ice that is left is thin. If they do so, then they were the ones looking for a victory in numbers, and that is the only kind of win they will have. There will be troubles and consequences that will carry over into the freezing season and next year.

Ned W

« Reply #327 on: July 24, 2017, 10:14:06 PM »
I know that I sound like a broke record, but I keep reading arguments over extent as a gauge for the melt season and the year overall. I reiterate that we use extent daily because it is available daily not because it is the best metric that we have.
I don't think there is a "best" metric. They each have their advantages and disadvantages.

It wouldn't matter if the available extent and volume were telling the same story. The problem is that they sure seem to be dropping at different rates:

Note that in that graph, both PIOMAS volume and NSIDC extent [both are September monthly means] have been scaled such that their 1980-1989 averages are set to 1.00 -- so the graph is showing the fraction of ice remaining, relative to that 1980-1989 baseline.

Ultimately, they both have to converge, but that could happen in various ways.  Extent could speed up to match volume; volume could slow down to match extent; they could converge on some intermediate date; etc.

This is a big forum with lots of threads and lots of people participating.  I think we can manage to follow both extent and volume simultaneously.  I also don't see any need to declare one or the other to be "best" or to criticize people for paying too much attention to whatever we think isn't "best".

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 24, 2017, 11:19:59 PM »
Ned W,
Thank you for your professionalism in your reply.  I am always using and referencing extent. I just don't necessarily think that every time it pauses, it means melt has stopped and the season is saved and this no longer is more than an ordinary year. Not that any one person is championing that theme, but I keep getting the feeling that some are grasping for straws due to the extent not nose diving. One thing your chart would seem to indicate is that the ice will probably get thinner each year, which would be the only way for extent to lag volume, other than concentration# dropping. All until, like you said, the two merge. I believe the shape the ice will be in going into winter will be a problem in and of itself. Whether it prolongs the melt season or not*, it will interfere with re-freezing and will actually draw storms rather than just allowing them during the winter.

# Area has dropped many days this season more than extent
*Late season export that does not easily halt, for example.

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 03, 2017, 05:59:48 AM »
Houston; We have a problem!

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: August 03, 2017, 02:48:24 PM »

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 03, 2017, 04:56:43 PM »

magnamentis

« Reply #332 on: August 03, 2017, 05:05:38 PM »
Houston; We have a problem!

when it comes to the topic of global warming of which sea-ice loss is a result and indicator it's global sea-ice the draws the real picutre ice-wise and as we can see (thanks for posting it, i follow that daily) we are "BELOW" 2016 and of course any other year and that is extent, taking volume it looks even much worse, especially if we convert those observation values into mega-joules and the likes, the surplus energy needed to get rid of that volume.

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 11, 2017, 05:57:38 PM »
The world's sea ice reaches new lows for the days of the year.

magnamentis

« Reply #334 on: August 11, 2017, 09:49:37 PM »
you're right but why reaches ? it has been like that for most of the year or do i translate the word "reach" wrongly. until now i thought reaching is to get to a point/state/place where one has not been the moment before? would gladly make sure that i'm not mistaken or learn.

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 11, 2017, 11:49:26 PM »
you're right but why reaches ? it has been like that for most of the year or do i translate the word "reach" wrongly. until now i thought reaching is to get to a point/state/place where one has not been the moment before? would gladly make sure that i'm not mistaken or learn.
If you can make a vertical line for this date or rather yesterday's on the graph, you can see how far below we are to the lowest per date or day of year. For example, yesterday it is the lowest for the 10th day of August compared to equivalent past days of the year in satellite history. So it reached a new low. Yes it has been low, but not this low. It looks to have beat the record by a few hundred thousand km2.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 12:02:48 AM by Tigertown »

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 12, 2017, 01:26:21 AM »
I've been searching for the appropriate tread.

A warning to anyone with savings in the State of Maryland, or possibly with Hartford Funds.

I recently was sent two warnings that my accounts would be transferred to "State abandoned property" because i hadn't been in contact with them for >3 years.

This was not the case of a $5.00 account I'd overlooked but each account was in excess of 6 figures.

I'd had no immediate need of the money and (falsely) assumed it was in safe hands until a need or want of the funds became obvious.

Apparently no action on my part is required, other than to let them know of my interest, but I will be looking for other places to stash my ill gotten gains.

If I'd been on an extended vacation this could have been a real upset.

Just a word to the wise
Terry

iamlsd

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #337 on: August 12, 2017, 02:58:24 PM »
Hey TerryM I'll happily store your ill gotten gains as SolarCoin if you like.  I've only got 20 coins so far which at about 15 US cents is not going to make me rich. But perhaps they'll be like bitcoins and sky rocket in value. Then I can repay your funds and keep the interest :)

Curious if any one else has come across SolarCoin and if it will drive investment in renewables which is the aim of the crypto currency.

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 12, 2017, 03:02:01 PM »
Global NSIDC sea ice extent is down another 88k.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #339 on: August 12, 2017, 04:34:43 PM »
...I recently was sent two warnings that my accounts would be transferred to "State abandoned property" because i hadn't been in contact with them for >3 years. ...
This has been the 'law of the land' (in the USA) for decades (for bank accounts).  About 25 years ago the social service agency I worked for (as financial manager) managed (on behalf of a community focus group from a decade earlier) a special 'passbook savings account' that held funds for a very rarely needed purpose.  When I got the job, I dutifully took the passbook in to get interest updated (a couple years worth of monthly additions!) and then got it updated 2 or 3 times a year.  We then got the notice that it was about to be considered an 'abandoned account' as there had been no deposit or withdrawal in X years (bringing in the passbook didn't count, obviously) (from when some law was enacted, actually).  I promptly 'donated' $1 to the enterprise to reset the clock.  The two remaining-in-the-community members of the original focus group then decided to 'donate' the several hundred (thousand? - I don't recall) dollars to my agency.  (The account required two signatures, and the two happened to both be among the five authorized signatures!)
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 12, 2017, 06:16:48 PM »
Thanks Tor
My warning is apparently unneeded, but this really came out of the blue.

These weren't bank accounts but investment accounts that I've held for decades. If I wanted to buy of sell a piece of real estate I'd pull from or deposit to one of these & hadn't touched either since 2008. Apparently accruing earnings isn't considered "activity".

iamlsd
I missed my shot at becoming a Bit Coin Billionaire when I drove past a newly installed Bit Coin ATM on the way to a meeting in Toronto. I'd have bought some if I hadn't been running late. :-\

Terry

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #341 on: August 12, 2017, 10:56:28 PM »
Back in 2011 or 2012 someone offered to donate some BitCoins for the blog. I said I would look into it, but was too busy.  :-\ ;D
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

johnm33

« Reply #342 on: August 17, 2017, 12:59:37 PM »
Interesting paper on how the sun works, from an electric universe perspective, may give some insight into variability. http://www.journalcra.com/sites/default/files/23817.pdf

johnm33

« Reply #343 on: December 30, 2017, 10:16:49 PM »
Just another variable to think about, http://oap.onu.edu.ua/article/download/114695/113096&hl=it&sa=X&scisig=AAGBfm2nQKAN8wmkGCzhjfIgNbZjQp2lHw&nossl=1&oi=scholaralrt
Periodic vulcanism/cooling caused by barycentric motion of sun, 4 pages. Coming soon.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 03, 2018, 04:27:23 PM »
I occasionally (e.g. when JAXA has gone off-line - again) look for articles that improve my knowledge on climate stuff but don't strain my brain too much.

Here are two articles by Mark Maslin, Professor of Palaeoclimatology, UCL, and doesn't he write well, all about ice age cycles.

https://theconversation.com/ice-ages-have-been-linked-to-the-earths-wobbly-orbit-but-when-is-the-next-one-70069,
https://www.nature.com/articles/540208a  (Forty years of linking orbits to ice ages )

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: January 04, 2018, 07:16:47 AM »
I don't know where else to put this - so

Intel and all the other chip makers have a built in flaw that makes every computer built in the last 10 years? susceptible to easy hacks.

There are 2 separate flaws, one can be fixed by software, at a terrible cost in speed, another that needs a replacement chip that hasn't been designed yet.

This apparently affects every chip in computers, phones, or whatever.

https://twitter.com/nicoleperlroth/status/948684376249962496

Sleep well - and close down your e-banking accounts
Terry

johnm33

« Reply #346 on: January 04, 2018, 11:39:22 AM »
Given what he had to work with i think Milankovitch did a great job, but until someone falsifies the apparent fact of Sirius' refusal to comply with precession i don't allow myself to believe he was right. http://binaryresearchinstitute.com/bri/4.0/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Sirius-Transit-Data-1988-to-2007-Comparison-to-Precession-1024x530.jpg

Since it seems to maintain station the only way i can imagine that to be possible is if both the sun and Sirius follow a similar spiralling orbit around the galactic center; for instance as it would be on the [imaginary] surface of one of a twisted pair http://etacar.put.poznan.pl/piotr.pieranski/IdealTwistedPair.html
 So a 13ky+/- 1/2 orbit would be something like

Assuming the solar system maintains a 26ky orbit perpendicular to the center of such an imaginary curved spiralling cylinder the other periodic alterations may be accounted for by, for instance, crossing the galactic plane, meeting the other imaginary pairs surface, or nearest/furthest approach to the galactic center. It would also go some way to explaining the synchronicity of variability of the two stars. [though that assumes some energetic flow from galaxy central].
added images
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 01:08:25 AM by johnm33 »