Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Lists of current elected denialist politicians  (Read 4324 times)

Paddy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 151
Lists of current elected denialist politicians
« on: February 28, 2017, 02:36:55 PM »
I was thinking we could do with lists of elected politicians that we particularly need to challenge on climate change. After a little research, here's a shortlist of denialist UK MPs, sorted by party:

Peter Lilley (Con)
John Hayes (Con)
Owen Patterson (Con)
John Redwood (Con)
David Davis (Con)
Christopher Chope (Con)
Andrew Tyrie (Con)
Nigel Evans (Con)
Sammy Wilson (DUP)
Graham Stringer (Lab)
Douglas Carswell (UKIP)

If anyone has any modifications to suggest to this list, and/or any lists from other countries to suggest, they'd be very welcome :-)

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: Lists of current elected denialist politicians
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 02:47:37 PM »
LOVE IT.  Get out your NEON PAINT THIS YEAR.  Paint EVERY FRIGGING ONE OF THE DENIALISTS......so that after this year.....they won't be able to "wash it off."

FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Paddy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 151
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 05:37:46 AM »
Further on this topic: at least one of the politicians on this list (Douglas Carswell), is standing down in the snap June general election. That's the good news; the bad is that the Conservatives, who tend towards climate change denial, favour fracking and have been slashing funds for renewables, look set to make gains. Going to be a bad five years ahead for climate change policy in the UK.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 07:08:44 AM »
Joe Manchin, Democratic Senator from West Virginia. Senator for coal. Up for reelection in 2018. Vulnerable.
Ted Cruz. Republican Senator, Texas. Outright denialist. Reelection in 2018. Tough fight there to diselect.
John Barasso. Republican Senator, Wyoming. Another denialist. Up in 2018.   Tough fight.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 07:22:30 AM by sidd »

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 08:57:55 AM »
Be very careful about opposing Democrats like Manchin.  The probably of replacing him with someone more liberal is roughly zero.

Manchin votes with Republicans more often that most of us on the left would like but if we tried to run someone more liberal and lost we'd end up with someone who voted Republican 100% of the time.

And even if Manchin voted 100% Republican his party membership would still count in terms of who gets to run the Senate. 

In some states a Manchin is about all we can get.  You can't get elected in Louisiana if you are opposed to oil or in coal country if you are opposed to coal.

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
subject
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 09:03:15 AM »
BTW, Cruz isn't polling too well against Castro.  I'd love to see him lose his seat.  A strong voter registration and get out the vote effort might cause Texas to go blueish purple.  It's just a matter of time until Texas goes blue.  At this point Hispanics and African Americans are not getting to the polls as much as they should.

We need to focus on the real problem people and on the seats that we might flip.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 08:49:55 PM »
"Manchin votes with Republicans more often that most of us on the left would like but if we tried to run someone more liberal and lost we'd end up with someone who voted Republican 100% of the time."

If you never try, you never win. And after cecades of settling for lesser evils, eventually you wind up with a Hillary Clinton losing to a Donald Trump. I am looking for primary opposition to Manchin, and I will decide if that is a battle i want to fight.

sidd

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 08:52:12 PM »
Perfect blocks Good Enough and causes Doable to fumble.

Opposition picks up the ball and races for the winning score.

Game!

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 01:05:59 AM »
As i have indicated elsewhere, i am not looking for perfect. Your definition of "good enough" is not mine. Your idea of the "game" is not mine. I will work with both Democrats and Republicans. If a credible primary opponent to Manchin can be found I will support him. If a Republican shows up with credible ideas to rescue those blasted West Virginia towns from coal, I will support him.

I guess I will do what I have to do, and others will do likewise. I have worked around politicians for too long, I have not participated in the election process for too long, and I now see the results. I am now at the point where I am taking an active interest in every political race, in every one of the little dying towns I have been through for all these years.

sidd

rboyd

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 10:23:44 PM »
All politicians who do not call for immediate and rapid reductions in carbon emissions, with whatever government policies that are required are denialists. The only difference is between "hard" (climate change isn't happening etc.) and "soft" (its happening but we still have a lot of time to fix it, with the free market and the wonders of technology) denial.

The ship is sinking, and we need get the boats in the water asap ...

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 12:11:06 AM »
Here's the sad thing, many Republican Congress members apparently do understand the climate change problem.  But they can't speak out in support of reducing CO2 levels without losing their seats to actual deniers.

Politicians generally do not lead, but position themselves in the crowd and try to figure out which way the crowd is heading.  Only by moving the vote are we likely to move the politicians.

The Women's March and today's March for Science are the sorts of things we need.  We need to get the more fact-based people fired up to vote.  If you don't find the minutes needed to vote then you risk ending with a Trump.

We need to get the people most hurt by Republican actions registered and get them to the polls.  Minorities and naturalized citizens need to be a strong voting block.

We need to get some of the working right thinking about what their lives would be like without Social Security, Medicare, the ACAPP, FEMA and other programs that stand between them and an old age of extreme poverty.  We need them to understand how a rising minimum wage will help them.  Even those who operate small businesses which could benefit from more customers with money to spend.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 02:04:58 AM »
I guess I will do what I have to do, and others will do likewise. I have worked around politicians for too long, I have not participated in the election process for too long, and I now see the results. I am now at the point where I am taking an active interest in every political race, in every one of the little dying towns I have been through for all these years.

sidd

By FAR the best written thing I have seen on this blog.  That is what a WORKING democracy is about:  Involvement.  I commend you.....and urge YOU to urge OTHERS to do the same.  Whether it is in town halls.....city council meetings.....elections....or running for office.   Good work mate.... :) 
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

bluesky

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2019, 10:37:07 PM »
The crypto British empire group, the  so called "European Research Group", proponent of a hard no deal Brexit, and ranking high among the top ministerial jobs in Johnson's government is a basket  full of denialist.