Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Closed forum or mailing list  (Read 3469 times)

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
Closed forum or mailing list
« on: April 17, 2017, 07:25:06 AM »
Prof. Ding is being abused in return for his generous participation on this forum. Is it possible to set up a mailing list here so that a more civilized discussion can continue ? I will do it if necessary, but it would be easier here since all of the (constructive) participants already have accounts here.

sidd

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
Re: Closed forum or mailing list
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 10:38:49 AM »
I don't know if it's possible to set up a mailing list or a separate forum for invitees only, but I'm also not sure whether it would be worth the trouble. The 'abuse' was hurled by just a few people, and most of I wouldn't even call abuse. Ever since Qinghua Ding engaged here, the 'abuse' has become even less. On the other hand he does say (based on his research) that the Arctic won't go ice-free for another 50-100 years, so some push-back is to be expected on a forum for people who are worried about AGW.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

crandles

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 01:51:29 PM »
He is doing a remarkable good job of shaming the name callers with things like

I don't really mind too much if someone don't like our stuff.

I hope he can see that the majority are uncomfortable at this happening.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 12:00:07 AM »
I too think a separate forum for invitees only, or a mailing list, will be less effective. However, perhaps threads with guest scientists discussing their work (and hopefully there will be more like that) may need stronger moderation than usual.
As the forum is a collective authority/knowledge base on sea ice and other adjacent subjects, it could become the right place for forward-minded scientists to discuss their research, maybe even use the forum as a sounding board as part of a review process. But such a discussion must be scientific, to the point and respectful, or it won't happen a whole lot.
Musing over  :-X

seaicesailor

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 09:57:29 PM »
I don't know if it's possible to set up a mailing list or a separate forum for invitees only, but I'm also not sure whether it would be worth the trouble. The 'abuse' was hurled by just a few people, and most of I wouldn't even call abuse. Ever since Qinghua Ding engaged here, the 'abuse' has become even less. On the other hand he does say (based on his research) that the Arctic won't go ice-free for another 50-100 years, so some push-back is to be expected on a forum for people who are worried about AGW.
I think Dr. Ding made a mistake saying that to the media, looks like a conjecture of his rather than directly from the discussed papers. Obviously bringing that to here cannot but lead to a circus.
That thread was really nice, I learned a few things of climate science, an expert entered the discussion, and... it finally motivated me to look for the ignore list and add a few names for the first time (not even Vid could get that from me!).
So great idea to move it to private and keep it civil.