Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: What to do with PV electricity in excess ?  (Read 6482 times)

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 23
What to do with PV electricity in excess ?
« on: June 13, 2017, 10:45:08 PM »
Hello,
Does anybody has an usefull idea to use PV electricity in excess when batteries are full, water is hot, washmachines are finished, clothes are dryed and refrigerator/deepfreezers are on supercool/supercold ? Probably 5-6 kW or up to 15 if it really makes sense. The problem is that we are talking of maybe 200 kWh (up to 1000 if it really make sense) per year between May and September and that it must adapt itself to the available power. In the third world countries, I would disinfect or pump water, produce Ice..., but that is not so much needed here in Luxembourg.
Thanks for any idea.
Etienne

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
Re: What to do with PV electricity in excess ?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 10:48:01 PM »
A machine to dry fruit and vegetables for storage? Electric vehicle/bicycle/scooter?
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

ghoti

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 10:49:48 PM »
Definitely seems like charging an electric vehicle is called for but that's also really saying bigger batteries!

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 12:05:49 AM »
Electrolysis: separate oxygen and hydrogen (in water) and store for other uses (or sale).

Or maybe not: http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/consumer/hydrogen/basics/production-solar.htm

Desalination, according to some.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 12:25:25 AM by Tor Bejnar »
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 12:45:04 AM »
Bit coin mining? You'll be making free money that you can use.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

magnamentis

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 02:22:40 AM »
Bit coin mining? You'll be making free money that you can use.

we need sound money again, no further fiat money with an even higher potential to turn into scam than gov fiat money. worst of all is that one more time the workin middle class will pay the bill while the filthy rich can sit it out. dont believe me, no problem, things are not that far out, we gonna see things happen very soon.

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 05:38:24 AM »
Electrolysis: separate oxygen and hydrogen (in water) and store for other uses (or sale).

Or maybe not: http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/consumer/hydrogen/basics/production-solar.htm

Desalination, according to some.

Not such thing as H2 storage in large quantities...H2 produced is H2 used...

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 05:44:52 AM »
ammonia ? seasonal ground thermal storage ? giant batteries ?

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 08:44:46 AM »
Hello,

Thank you very much for all the ideas. I like very much the food drying idea and the hydrogen production concept (didn't find a machine yet). Bigger batteries are not possible because above 400Ah regulations are much more complicated. We are already looking for a solution for geothermal storage. With vehicle, we have the problem that it is on an appartment house and most cars only come home in the evening.

We are still looking. Thanks,

Etienne

nicibiene

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • www.nicibiene.de
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 09:24:09 AM »
My dream would be to be able to process and store H2, and power a fuel cell, using the heat for heating. Biggest problem ist to store H2 effective and safe. Possibility could also be to make CH4 of it- but it would cost energy again. There are already systems available,  but still expensive. Recently I found a pretty interesting one, but I forgot to save the link/datas...

Next week we will install our 10kW PV with 10 kWh battery. We already have heatpump heating system (actually seperate powergrid because of inflexible price system, also it needs a lot electrical power to work -3 kW-, but there are already systems with flexible working compressors). Also we have a EV with 22 kWh. Will be very exciting how it all works and what we could achieve...

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.” –“Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.” Albert Einstein

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 02:17:41 PM »
Hello,

I made a drawing for a do it yourself food dryer that could use excess solar heat. I used a water storage for the heat, so it would also work (would even be cheaper) if you already have a solar thermal system.

Don't know if you have already seen something similar, but it looks like too expensive if you dont really have a lot of food to dry.

Etienne

Sebastian Jones

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 214
  • Likes Given: 158
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 07:49:55 PM »
The simplest solution is, assuming that you are connected to the grid, to sell it back to the electricity company- which is effectively using it as a virtual battery.